Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 07-08-2005, 02:19 AM   #1
eskimo_friendly
Eskimo Regular

Default A string of concerts Cancelled

Following the explosions in London today, REM, Queen, Sum 41, The Prodigy and Queens of the Stone Age all had to cancel their London gigs.

Not that any of that matters, after people lost their lives. But it's just F.Y.I.
eskimo_friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:33 AM   #2
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

i see the point in that, huge concentrations of people would me a terrible but easy target
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:56 AM
SisterMidnight
This message has been deleted by SisterMidnight.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:49 AM   #3
cille
creepycute

would be a nice thing to do after such a horrible common experience though, to share music together.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:01 AM   #4
Shaftage
Eskimo Philosophicalizer

Just today I was bouncing some ideas off my father, (he's old school but still pretty sharp) I was under the inpression that music is not a big part of muslim life. I mean if you have to dress and groom yourself in a specific manner so as to not be harassed, I figure the chance that one of the most beautiful forms of self-expression is probably not very high on the ol "to-do list".
We were unable to resolve the discussion and I hate leaving a concept in the open (especially about music,which I feel so strongly) I have unsussessfuly tried to google this.....any help would be appreciated..........

Lata,
Shaft~
Shaftage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 12:02 PM   #5
noshorterthan3characters
Eskimo Friend

What the ****?? kno about Muslim culture. Do you know anything about how ****ing beautiful and more respectful the Muslim religion is in pratice than Christianity. Groom? Dress? You Yanks obviously havn't been around Muslims and what islam stands for. Do my ordinary, equal friends have to 'Dress and groom' so not to be 'harrassed'? No. They live an ordinary, equal life, not holed up in their religion.
The christian religion, especially the christian new right allows for less 'beautiful forms of expression' wanting to censor all sorts of music. Those who follow Islam like all the same music and share the same art. You gotta stop listening to your Brainwashing racist Media machine and start listening to rational facts about religion.

Sorry, i kno its not your fault.
noshorterthan3characters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 07:59 PM   #6
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaftage
Just today I was bouncing some ideas off my father, (he's old school but still pretty sharp) I was under the inpression that music is not a big part of muslim life. I mean if you have to dress and groom yourself in a specific manner so as to not be harassed, I figure the chance that one of the most beautiful forms of self-expression is probably not very high on the ol "to-do list".
We were unable to resolve the discussion and I hate leaving a concept in the open (especially about music,which I feel so strongly) I have unsussessfuly tried to google this.....any help would be appreciated..........
on the contrary man. (i think you may be steriotyping a bit btw). Traditional grooming etc, has nothing to do with self-expression, if anything music can be an outlet. In some muslim countries, which is what i think you're referring to, (not that it's part of the religion) there can indeed be very strict rules on many aspects of life, and music can be a way in which people can express things they can't say verbally.
In any case, Music is a very big part of eastern life. To answer that question.

"noshorterthan3characters"- i tend to agree with you on some of that, but whoa man, this kid is just curious, maybe also mislead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshorterthan3characters
beautiful and more respectful the Muslim religion is in pratice than Christianity
That's a bit of a generalised statement. fundamentally most religions have the same basis love thy neighbor, be good etc. I don't think anyone can really make a statement saying one religion is better than another. And allot of the grooming stuff is infact just the ways the old clerics got the people to be hygenic, they've just got carried on. And i don't know what music the christian religion probhibits, i haven't heard of anything of that nature before.

Last edited by PenguinBoy; 07-08-2005 at 08:03 PM.
PenguinBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:34 AM   #7
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshorterthan3characters
beautiful and more respectful the Muslim religion is in pratice than Christianity

That's a bit of a generalised statement. fundamentally most religions have the same basis love thy neighbor, be good etc. I don't think anyone can really make a statement saying one religion is better than another. And allot of the grooming stuff is infact just the ways the old clerics got the people to be hygenic, they've just got carried on. And i don't know what music the christian religion probhibits, i haven't heard of anything of that nature before.
that is so true, i live in the widwest, among so many christian fundamentalists it's so frustrating. many, if not all, of them are good people, they just have the wrong ideas. i think it works the same with any kind of fundamentalism. i think religions are not necessary but still most people feel the need to practise one, and it depends on how they were raised. but religion becomes dangerous when people stop thinking or reasoning and just follow the ideas of intransigent, closed-minded people and the way they interpret those religions.

to use a very mild example, one day i was listening black sabbath, or s'thing like that, and a completely strange woman came up to my car and said that i was gonna go to hell for listening to the devil's music
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 11:12 AM   #8
noshorterthan3characters
Eskimo Friend

Lots of the New Right look to the old testemant to justify their codemnation on gay people. It says that, yes it is wrong.
You know, it also says that you can burn yor mother for wearing a garment made of two different threads, that a misbehaving child can be brought to the gates of a city and clubbed to death, that slavery is acceptable, that a family member can be stoned infront of the entire village for planting different crops side by side, that a man can marry many women, that touching a pig is a sin, as is touching a scaled creature, that if a women gives birth to a girl she has to stay in bed for days not washing, and that if you work on the sabbath you can be put to death.

Does that sound like a religion that would justify Black Sabbath?

Islam has been around less, it is the youngest religion. People need to stop thinking it harbers no freedom and the like.

That is why the East partly hates the West, because of their complete ignorance of a religion that in many ways has the potential to be better than theirs. Again, The Yanks need to stop listening to their racist media.
noshorterthan3characters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 02:09 PM   #9
maccas81
Eskimo Ladies Man

on the point about music in muslim life, music actually enjoys a central role in most liberal muslim societies...in fact, some of the finest ethnic music of the middle east is produced by muslims, such as musrat fateh ali khan, the famous pakistani sitar player.... however, extremist islamists - such as the taliban - believe that all music, and indeed all imagery created buy human beings (basically all the art in the world) - should be banned. islam may well be the youngest religion, but muslims need to be less touchy when they hear their religion criticised.....it seems that they can say anything they want about christians.....but when a christian criticies islam, many of them are on the attack straight away...maybe if there was less hypocrisy and self-righteousness among such people, it would go a long way towards increasing understanding and tolerance...tolerance is a 2 way street after all...if christians should respect islam, or other religions then equally islam should respect christianity and other religions also....
Old 07-09-2005, 02:28 PM
gregamiepgy
This message has been deleted by gregamiepgy.