Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Trading

Old 10-21-2003, 06:27 AM   #1
neil_eats
Eskimo Regular

i feel like a child whose had his toys stolen, i feel like having a fit on the floor and crying because ive tried any hour of the day to try and log onto that damned ftp and nothing. i manged to log on for a few seconds the other day only to glimpse loads more has been added but i couldnt download it too many users again. maybe someone who has everything can start a ftp aswell and do a sharing tree like that. a certain amount of people email the person whose running the ftp, that person emails the log in details and doesnt send out the offer to other people until he or she hears back from those users to say they have everything.
neil_eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 06:38 AM   #2
DopeyDylan
Eskimo Friend

I know the feeling Neil, but I think we've got to be patient.... Mario's been kind enough to set it up, and it's not his fault that its as popular as it is....

I PM'd him recently about me setting up a mirror, but I just don't have enough free disk space at the moment. Once I get myself a job again, I'd be happy to run a mirror to help reduce the load on Mario's server.

I'm drooling at the thought of the goodies on the server at the minute, as there is one song that above all others is the one I want..... And I dunno the name of it :-( 'a half painted frame of a frame that won't stain'/'I'm not your god' lyrics.... I heard it at the Union Chapel, and haven't heard him do it at any of the subsequent 3 gigs I've been to!

Anyway, if anyone has a reasonable PC with a good amount of free disk space, and fancies being the saviour (until I steal their thunder, PM Mario, as he's taking the strain of all of us! [img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]

Dopes
[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
DopeyDylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 05:03 AM   #3
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Its frustrating, i know! I downloaded a good bit the first time i was connected, and havent been able to get back on since, except for one time for 10 mins (but that doesnt count).

Whats involved in holding the mirror server?Will your computer be swamped all the time, asthere is so much demand. And it'll only get worse!What are the issues involving firewalls etc. I'm getting an extra hard drive soon cos my80GB one is full. I might be interested in doing it. But not for another little while, waiting on my student loan!
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
daol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 04:37 PM   #4
mierk
Eskimo Regular

Let's definitely make sure this thread doesn't come across in any way, shape or form as being ungrateful to Mario -- I know we're all excited to hear more music but the guy is doing it for free out of the kindness of his heart, so let's not make it a hassle for him. What would be good is if the people who ARE downloading stuff started offering to do snail mail b&ps and such to ease the demand on the ftp. I've given copies of shows to probably 15-20 friends who don't really know who Damien is, but I haven't done much here at the igloo, so I guess I need to start up with that myself!
Old 10-22-2003, 06:37 PM   #5
neil_eats
Eskimo Regular

oh no im not being ungrateful but its like one of those dreams where someone gives you a crap load of money but for some reason you cant ever get to spend it.
neil_eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 11:10 AM   #6
Mario
Eskimo Regular

I've capped the server at 4 users. That leaves each user at about 15 kb/s. Not great, but acceptable. Its definetly the best balance of availability and speed.

If anyone else wants to run a server, I'll send you the software. The software takes up basically no room, so really all you need is the free space to keep the shows on your hard drive. And you need a good internet connection. It's not very difficult at all.

If anyone is interested, email me: mariodiclerico@aol.com

EDIT: Also, when people upload, I close the server to give them full bandwidth, so that could be a problem you're having as well.Edited by: Mario
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:22 AM   #7
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Im interested in setting up a server. I've a 600k cable modem so the speed shouldnt be a problem, but the only snag at the moment, is im running low on memory in my harddrive.I'm gettingan extra harddrive, but its just getting around to it......not sure when.

How much space do you think it would take up? Also would the server would have to be on all the time?
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
daol20 is offline   Reply With Quote