Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 05-29-2004, 10:21 AM   #1
cille
creepycute

it was fab, great, lovely... and Josh wanted the entire audience to come along with him to Oslo today [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]...

I'll tell you more later, got a busy day today [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2004, 10:48 AM   #2
sezmo
Eskimo Regular

[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]Glad you had a great night too!

So... what time are we heading to Oslo then? [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
sezmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 12:02 PM   #3
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

can i come? [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2004, 12:10 PM   #4
sezmo
Eskimo Regular

Yeah! The more the merrier. [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2004, 12:38 PM   #5
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

cooooooooool! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2004, 12:50 PM   #6
cille
creepycute

OK, here's how it was the night before yesterday:

when my friend and i arrived at the venue (it's a rather small venue; the same that damien played a couple of months ago) there seemed to be no ppl, so i got this awkward feeling we might be only 10 ppl in the audience that night, but when we got into the concert room there were about 80-100 others, so there are a few other ppl in my city with great musical taste after all... [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

during the 'A Girl Called Eddy" opening show ppl kept a distance of at least 2-3 metres to the stage (this happens a lot at danish concerts, it feels so strange to not try to get as close as possible to the stage, but then it's hard to be the first one to break the 'social barrier' and walk up to the stage yourself... gosh, danes are so withdrawn and shackled - myself included...). 'A Girl Called Eddy' did a fine performance, although not all that interesting. But interesting enough to make me buy her ep afterwards. (and it's lovely, i should add)

As soon as Eddy had finished, my friend and I hurried up to the stage and got ourselves to the front row, yay! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]so when Josh and the band started playing we stood like 1 meter away from him [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
the concert was great!!!! it's fantastic how that man can sing a song in a way that just goes to the bones, to the heart, to the belly... I didn't take any track list notes, but here's what i remember (random order):
wings; come and find me; girl in the war; rolling; you don't make it easy babe (that night dedicated to G. Bush [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]); Kathleen; Rainslicker; california (great totally unplugged version); bright smile; man burning; snow is gone; Golden age of radio; Me and Jiggs; song for the fireflies; Harrisburg; Lawrence, KS. (another fantastic unplugged version); bone of song; baby that's not all; and the most amazing version of Leo Cohen's Chelsea Hotel!!!!!! I didn't know i loved that song, but i do now, wow!!! He played a few other songs; including one i've never heard before. I could see the setlist from where i stood, and he definately played a lot more than was on there + changed the order of it.

The audience was so there and were quiet when they had too, so i didn't have to be the angry hushing lady after all, except for one time when a girl behind me couldn't help but singing along to the Cohen song...she stopped emmidiately and apologized when i ssshh'ed, so no big problem there. Josh seemed to like us too; as I mentioned, he wanted us to come along for his gig in Norway saturday night[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

And the Band was fab! the keyboard player was so into the music all the time he had his eyes closed all the time as he made lovely his sounds. and the bass player also seemed very deep into the music, and the drummerdid a great job.

and Josh![img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]i really got to appreciate his singing; he seems to be able to put meaning into every word. there's this funny thing that he seems to sing his songs to the microphone, the way he stares at it when he sings. don't know if it's due to his shyness or part of some sort of technique; if so it must've worked, cause i was touched by every word he sang.
and as ms. pink mentioned in the paradiso thread, he is all teeth indeed!!![img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]after every song when we applauded him intensely, he giggled shyly and said 'thank you' into the mic while backing away from the mic really fast as if he was too shy to really speak to us... he seemed really shy and proud at the same time, it was so lovely!

he did a lot of encores, before he was excused by us. it was definately one of the best live experiences i've ever had; notall as intense as Damien's Gig, but very close to it!my friend and I had a white russian to celebrate that afterwards. [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]yummie![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]Edited by: supercille
Old 05-30-2004, 03:36 PM   #7
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Lovely review, Cille [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]

Funny you mention the "singing to the mic". Glen Hansard from the Frames does that, too, sometimes. Josh may have (subsconsciously)adopted it from him.

Talking about teeth:

That's Emeline, from Tom's board, with Ahren, the famous cow.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 11:16 PM   #8
cille
creepycute

oh yeah, teeth... sweet pic! it's like they have the same smile there.[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]- so that's the ahren you were all talking about![img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

wow, he iiiis lovely, Josh,isn't he...Edited by: supercille
Old 05-30-2004, 11:18 PM   #9
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

if i were to get in to josh ritter where would i start?
mestonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 11:50 PM   #10
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercille
it's like they have the same smile there.[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]- so that's the ahren you were all talking about![img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

They look like twins in that picture, don't they?
Ahren for president! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2004, 09:34 AM   #11
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestonf
if i were to get in to josh ritter where would i start?

start with his latest album, 'hello starling'. best songs off that one: wings, bright smile, rainslicker, bone of song, baby that's not all..

or maybe with his former one, 'golden age of radio'. best songs: come and find me, Lawrence KS, you've got the moon, Harrisburg.

or if can find the unreleased song 'girl in the war' (thanks sezmo)(he has done it live at a radio show)- masterpiece, if you ask me!!![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]Edited by: supercille
Old 05-31-2004, 09:37 AM   #12
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela
They look like twins in that picture, don't they?

yes, they lookso alike - even their noses, and the hair!

ok, i'll go with that. i'll vote for anything, josh has had in his hand [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

has ahren been around a lot?
Old 05-31-2004, 09:44 AM   #13
sezmo
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

or if can find the unreleased song 'come and find it' (he has done it live at a radio show)- masterpiece, if you ask me!!![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

?? You mean Come And Find Me? It's the first song on Golden Age of Radio.

You can also check out the mp3s on Doug Rice's fan site: http://www.dougrice.net/joshritter_mp3s.html

Girl In The War is an absolutely beautiful song. Unreleased, but he often starts his shows with it. Murder On My Mind and Stuck To You are really funny.

Cille - that site has Chelsea Hotel on it as well. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Sounds likeyou enjoyed the gig as much as I did the night before! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]Cool! [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley16.gif[/img]Edited by: sezmo
Old 05-31-2004, 09:52 AM   #14
cille
creepycute

arrgh, thx sezmo, i was aslzzzzzzz....[img]smileys/smiley12.gif[/img]no, i meant 'girl in the war', arrrrgggghhh.

wow, gotta get hold of that chelsea hotel version!!! thank you again!
Old 05-31-2004, 02:54 PM   #15
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

hey thanks for the advice, if the music isn't too expensive to save myself the query i shall buy both albums!
mestonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 04:19 PM   #16
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela

Has ahren been around a lot?

Oh yes, he's been around! Ahren is such a backstage whore! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2004, 02:04 PM   #17
cille
creepycute

[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]ahren the vyv-hugger... he does look kinda blissful in her hands...
we might just have an entire ahren thread one day, when he has hung out with more ppl...[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] Edited by: supercille
Old 06-03-2004, 06:53 PM   #18
Angela
Eskimo Regular

If she's smart, Emeline will turn it into a book. Though apparently Ahren is already quite a star at her uni! That picture of Vyv is so cute [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2004, 01:17 PM   #19
RyanRunner
Eskimo Friend

hi there,

i saw josh in hamburg on tuesday and it was fantastic. but unfortunally there were only about 30 people. that says alot about the taste of the people in my town. but still it was a great gig. really something big. it was in a nice tiny venue and the 30 people made a good athmosphere.

i saw him with damien soloin march and he wasnt even near the quality gig i saw this week.

he remindet me alot of bob dylan of course but also of ryan adams when ryan is playing his quiet songs.

i´m going to buy his last 2 albums for sure. well worth the money.

RyanRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:34 PM   #20
cille
creepycute

hey, a fellow northern european! *waves*

yes, buy them, they're great. there are a few songs on them that i skip, because i find them too folky/country n' western'ish, but there are so many gems that that doesnt really matter :-)

sorry to hear so few ppl turned up in hamburg - next time come to Copenhagen![img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2004, 10:23 PM   #21
cille
creepycute

reviving this thread cause i found pictures from the gig!! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

a lot of them were taken RIGHT next to me - i had to duck to give the photographer room - and in one of them you can sort of see me and my friend.. you can view the pics here

here's the one where you can see me:

i'm the first audience member you can see from the right standing JUST in front of josh, and my friend is the guy with the sideburns to the left of me [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]you can't see much of me, but we do look like we're having a great time, don't we?Edited by: cillecille