Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 04-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #241
faninor
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32 View Post
not always... remember when he did the US tour before 9? It was for trying out new songs in front of an audience and stuff like that. O this might be a similar strategy... I don't see why he should tour if nothing has changed, it's not a one off gig like in Korea or an unusual tour like the one in South America...
Let's say you're right and this is a road test of new material. What if he then decides not to put out an album, like the Barcelona stuff or the sessions in Iceland? Those both pointed to a new album more directly than this handful of tour dates, people got excited and then let down. I don't want to look back at this in a year and feel disappointed again, so I won't get my hopes up about a new album until there's some concrete news.
faninor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #242
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by faninor View Post
Let's say you're right and this is a road test of new material. What if he then decides not to put out an album, like the Barcelona stuff or the sessions in Iceland? Those both pointed to a new album more directly than this handful of tour dates, people got excited and then let down. I don't want to look back at this in a year and feel disappointed again, so I won't get my hopes up about a new album until there's some concrete news.
That's your choice and I respect that I don't want to push anyone's hopes up, I just think there must be something in the way if he tours like this... I'm not a person that gets disappointed because I don't really care when he puts a new album out, until then there are so many great artists to discover and listen to... so I'll just wait and if the meantime we can get a European tour or Icelandic sessions or Barcelona bits of videos or whatever, I'm happy.
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #243
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

***** WARNING *****

Okay folks, I've seen only some of this arguing. I don't care who is right or wrong... I don't care who started it.... I don't care who thinks they should be allowed to get one more dig in.

If I see anyone insulting anyone I will ban. Maybe temporarily, maybe permanently... it will depend on the insult and my mood. I make no appologies for it and don't care if it makes me unpopular.

Resorting to insults shows you have lost the argument. If someone disagrees with your analysis, who cares? Let them live their lives and you live yours.

EskimoFRIENDS was started as a friendly place and though we don't get to keep as close an eye on it anymore, we intend to keep it that way. Is there an irony in banning people for being unfriendly? Sure, but I don't care.

Act like nice grown up people, or find a darker corner of the web.

***** END OF WARNING *****

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:49 AM   #244
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Thanks for stopping by after two months.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:02 AM   #245
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Hahaha... wow! I haven't been here in ages, this was quite the entertaining read.

Dear Damien, we miss you. Write soon. x
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:16 AM   #246
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post

EskimoFRIENDS was started as a friendly place and though we don't get to keep as close an eye on it anymore, we intend to keep it that way.

Act like nice grown up people, or find a darker corner of the web.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d View Post
Thanks for stopping by after two months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight View Post
due to the increased level of political correctness I will give all of this a lol as compared to my standard chicago/annoying american shout out loud..........as someone pm'd me today I only hoped I didn't get banned........oh screw it lmFao

if you ask me and I have said it before - someone needs to put a chill pill on this whole place from the get go............the kumbaya crowd gets way too agitated with the least bit of confrontation...........the purists stick true and god bless..........the complete failure of most to accept the slightest bit of sarcasm is disconcerting.......for christ's sake shillelagh was and has been kidding - as I said before jesus henry

sorry for my return of late and there are some quoted herein who would probably be good to see me return to that "dark space".........but this is a decent board with good people who engage for the most part in reasonable discussion..........some need to relax if you ask me

if not I am cool kinda.............I have certainly never let on about lisa as we were so gingerly consulted back in the day for fear of the wrath of whomever (I actually thought it was emmett not wheels but I guess I am behind the times!!)

hope to see you on the other side lol.............
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:09 AM   #247
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Old 05-01-2012, 05:04 AM   #248
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

lol
Old 05-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #249
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I guess we all have different concepts of how a forum should be... a forum like the old Igloo was a group of people that shared a "passion" for an artist. It was not one of those forums where four 12 year olds rant and fight each other trying to show who is more bold. That's not what the Igloo was about. We we here cos we shared a passion, Damien touched us and moved us in a way that only other Damien fans could understand, and that made a special bond between us. So it's not just people posting in a foum, it's more than that. And from that bond people became friends. And still to this date, I have 10/20 people in here that I consider true friends and we've all survived together the dry spell without Damien's music. Now mostly we're all on FB (with few exceptions, Vere ehem!!!) and with a bunch of them we still meet in peron every now and then, go to concerts together, share Cds, etc... It always warms my heart when I read about eskimos meeting at random cities or the old days when people shared bootlegs and were sending CDs from one side of the world to the other. So for me, that's what a forum should be about... sharing a passion...

Course it doesn't mean people cannot be critic. Don't think we're that sheepish. When Damo's released medicocre songs, we've all said so. But there's a difference between being critic about someone you like and ranting about an artist that you no longer love but hate
Old 05-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #250
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight View Post
Hahaha... wow! I haven't been here in ages, this was quite the entertaining read.

(totally out of the topic, if theres a topic indeed, i know, but still) welcome back, melissa
Old 05-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #251
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
I guess we all have different concepts of how a forum should be... a forum like the old Igloo was a group of people that shared a "passion" for an artist. It was not one of those forums where four 12 year olds rant and fight each other trying to show who is more bold. That's not what the Igloo was about. We we here cos we shared a passion, Damien touched us and moved us in a way that only other Damien fans could understand, and that made a special bond between us. So it's not just people posting in a foum, it's more than that. And from that bond people became friends. And still to this date, I have 10/20 people in here that I consider true friends and we've all survived together the dry spell without Damien's music. Now mostly we're all on FB (with few exceptions, Vere ehem!!!) and with a bunch of them we still meet in peron every now and then, go to concerts together, share Cds, etc... It always warms my heart when I read about eskimos meeting at random cities or the old days when people shared bootlegs and were sending CDs from one side of the world to the other. So for me, that's what a forum should be about... sharing a passion...

Course it doesn't mean people cannot be critic. Don't think we're that sheepish. When Damo's released medicocre songs, we've all said so. But there's a difference between being critic about someone you like and ranting about an artist that you no longer love but hate
don't take my post as a defense of mario - it sure wasn't intended to be - and I don't disagree with you at all - some of us are on FB ehem! - and clearly we are joined by a passion just as we are over at davidgray.com - there we are known as grayheads and yes we just had like 25 of us in vegas all together at the same hotel hanging out together doing meals together of course the gig together and hanging with the band/crew............it was greatness

this is a post I put up after............marti I think you would enjoy

http://www.davidgray.com/forums/thread/749939.aspx

my issue is more general - I think for the board to be effective it police's itself - to some extent it happened here - many folks told both of them they were carrying on way too much and it was getting tiresome......I would like to think that ultimately these two would have run out of wind

but to shut down a thread that was a joke and threaten to ban the next dude who utters a bad word rings of the same juvenile behavior that we were complaining about in the first place!

that is all...........have fun in Italy!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #252
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Chicago/annoying?? Must be talking about south siders...
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #253
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
Chicago/annoying?? Must be talking about south siders...
hahaha............we also share being cubs fans (for better or worse!)

but yeah I like to think I have a tell it like I see it approach - some appreciate the transparency - others get taken aback............whatever
Old 05-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #254
Joyful
Eskimama

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenita View Post
(totally out of the topic, if theres a topic indeed, i know, but still) welcome back, melissa
Nice to see you on here too Melissa!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:39 AM   #255
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Thanks girls, nice to see you, too! I hope everyone has been doing well.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:42 AM   #256
faninor
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotyalex View Post
my issue is more general - I think for the board to be effective it police's itself - to some extent it happened here - many folks told both of them they were carrying on way too much and it was getting tiresome......I would like to think that ultimately these two would have run out of wind

but to shut down a thread that was a joke and threaten to ban the next dude who utters a bad word rings of the same juvenile behavior that we were complaining about in the first place!
I don't think the self policing here was very effective, it just went from 2 sides saying the same thing over again to 3 sides.

I just noticed that damienrice.com is kind of still dropping the ball on keeping fans up to date, no mention of the tour dates there and only a couple mentioned on twitter. I understand a new website is coming someday, and it's just a placeholder for now, but it's not hard to add a simple list of tour dates or a blurb that says to check facebook for dates. I guess facebook is the best official source for info then?
Old 05-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #257
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
I don't think the self policing here was very effective, it just went from 2 sides saying the same thing over again to 3 sides.

I just noticed that damienrice.com is kind of still dropping the ball on keeping fans up to date, no mention of the tour dates there and only a couple mentioned on twitter. I understand a new website is coming someday, and it's just a placeholder for now, but it's not hard to add a simple list of tour dates or a blurb that says to check facebook for dates. I guess facebook is the best official source for info then?
fair.........that said though it was just nonsense - nothing at all warranting get banned if you ask me.

damienrice.com is worthless - has been since they shut down the forum - you want craic??! that was some great craic lol!!

I think you are right on FB
Old 05-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #258
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

wow, what a longwinded, repetitive, argumentative thread. I miss old eskimofriends, I miss 2004!!

ps. GO WHEELS and HI Melissa!!!

x
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:37 AM   #259
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

lol..............as I was saying

somewhere under the rainbow.............
Old 05-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #260
cille
creepycute

Hi Melissa, hi Vienna!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #261
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
But there's a difference between being critic about someone you like and ranting about an artist that you no longer love but hate
And there's a difference between being a critic of music and a critic of a musician.

And that's always been the problem with this website. Damien the person was put on a pedestal from day 1. No one was allowed to discuss the obvious relationship between Damien and Lisa. No one has even been allowed to criticize the many many ****ty things Damien has done. And apparently now we're not allowed to criticize the complete lack of professionalism he's exhibiting. (Handing out flyers to a non-existent album and then saying they know nothing about it.)
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #262
faninor
Eskimo Friend

Wheels only warned about insults, you can probably continue expressing yourself as much as you like without risk of being banned. But I think you've pretty much covered every possible angle multiple times... there is just not much left to say until there's something new to talk about.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #263
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille View Post
Hi Melissa, hi Vienna!
Oh it feels like the end of the Grease where the gang is all back together...we're getting there, now where's the rest?!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #264
verenita
... trusty and true ...

well, i wasn´t part of "the gang" back in 2004 (but i read the old posts), but i´m glad to see you back as weel
Old 05-04-2012, 03:42 AM   #265
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

personally if I am going to get on the nostalgia kick it is where he took the band into the pre and post lisa break up in 08/09............

Old 05-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #266
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Wheels only warned about insults, you can probably continue expressing yourself as much as you like without risk of being banned. But I think you've pretty much covered every possible angle multiple times... there is just not much left to say until there's something new to talk about.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #267
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

Facebook 'like' to the last two posts!!

Right, I might have had a couple to drink (glass of Red Damo? done!) but here's what I have to say, no insults....

perhaps some people have forgotten the way they first felt when they heard Damien. I remember it clearly, Glastonbury 2003, had heard the name but didn't know much else. Stopped at the Other Stage and watched with awe and the most compelling feeling I had ever experienced with music. I was 22 (edit: actually I was 20, why on earth am I giving myself extra years!!).

I got home from that festival and for the first time in my life I got obsessed, I downloaded every song available, live recording, bootlegs, whatever...I became a member of a 'message board', for the first time on DR.com, where people were actually quite nasty, then EF, where I met people who not only have I since met in real life, but even if I haven't I would still consider true friends.

Even to this day, despite the length of time since new material and the 'promises' that mario is so disgusted that Damien has 'broken', none of that has changed. OK the Forum is not something I check daily like I used to and I actually listen to other music now, whereas for a while it was strictly Damien, but I just watched that video that davidcotyalex posted and I got chills.

BE THANKFUL FOR THAT!!!

If Damien never releases another album, I would be disappointed of course, but I would be forever grateful for the memories, and for the incredible music he gave us. Up to the point I discovered him, I had enjoyed music and music had meaning for me (particularly after losing my dad) but I had never experienced such a connection/feeling/epiphany/awakening through music before, for whatever reason and this really still holds true.

New album or not, Damien Rice holds a special place in my heart, my makeup, my history and that will never go away...surely that's what it's all about?!?!

If I could only listen to O for the rest of my life, I would take it and be happy!!!

Last edited by Vienna; 05-05-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #268
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna View Post

Right, I might have had a couple to drink (glass of Red Damo? done!) but here's what I have to say, no insults....

perhaps some people have forgotten the way they first felt when they heard Damien. I remember it clearly, Glastonbury 2003, had heard the name but didn't know much else. Stopped at the Other Stage and watched with awe and the most compelling feeling I had ever experienced with music. I was 22.

I got home from that festival and for the first time in my life I got obsessed, I downloaded every song available, live recording, bootlegs, whatever...I became a member of a 'message board', for the first time on DR.com, where people were actually quite nasty, then EF, where I met people who not only have I since met in real life, but even if I haven't I would still consider true friends.

Even to this day, despite the length of time since new material and the 'promises' that mario is so disgusted that Damien has 'broken', none of that has changed. OK the Forum is not something I check daily like I used to and I actually listen to other music now, whereas for a while it was strictly Damien, but I just watched that video that davidcotyalex posted and I got chills.

BE THANKFUL FOR THAT!!!

If Damien never releases another album, I would be disappointed of course, but I would be forever grateful for the memories, and for the incredible music he gave us. Up to the point I discovered him, I had enjoyed music and music had meaning for me (particularly after losing my dad) but I had never experienced such a connection/feeling/epiphany/awakening through music before, for whatever reason and this really still holds true.

New album or not, Damien Rice holds a special place in my heart, my makeup, my history and that will never go away...surely that's what it's all about?!?!

If I could only listen to O for the rest of my life, I would take it and be happy!!!
very very well said..............I think that is absotutely why so many of us are still here..........because of that similar impact

thanks for that post
Old 05-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #269
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna View Post

perhaps some people have forgotten the way they first felt when they heard Damien. I remember it clearly, Glastonbury 2003, had heard the name but didn't know much else. Stopped at the Other Stage and watched with awe and the most compelling feeling I had ever experienced with music. I was 22.

BE THANKFUL FOR THAT!!!

i got the chills by reading this... because i have the same feeling.
thanks vienna and welcome back again
Old 05-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #270
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

cheers guys!

thanks vere, it's nice to be back