Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 07-27-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

Default 9 Crimes Meaning

I was listening to a bootleg of the Boston show and Damien told a story and in it he "decided to have a wank" which got me to thinking about 9 Crimes and the gun in it. Does anyone here think that the "gun" in 9 Crimes could be a metaphor? It wouldnt be unlike Damien to talk about his penis in one of his songs, and if you think about the song it makes a lot more sense if the word gun is intended as a metaphor...just a thought

http://thatgirlwiththefreckles.blogspot.com/
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Lauren, you're not allowed to say words like wank and penis!
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

haha why is that?

Old 07-27-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
clazkel
Eskimo Regular

Yeah, i've thought that myself!!! I could be wrong but i don't think so

Wolverhampton-29th March 07, Oxford-21st June 07
Birmingham-2nd Oct 07, Nottingham-5th Oct 07
Cardiff-12th Oct 07
clazkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

I remember a bit back when Damien revealed the story to this song. He said something like "This song is about being off somewhere and then all of a sudden you find yourself in a very demanding situation [I believe he then mentioned being with two girls and how this could be the most amazing time of his life] when you suddenly realize you have a girlfriend back in Paris." I can't remember at the moment where I got this but it's definitely worth a search.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

yeah ive heard the story behind it, but it doesnt do anything to explain the gun part of the song. i first took it literally and thought it referred to suicide but now i think this theory makes a lot more sense

p.s. nice icon valentino haha

Old 07-27-2007, 09:01 PM   #7
Nine
Inuit

the gun part is definitely a metaphor for his penis - it all makes sense with the story, i've got to go right now but i'll come back later and explain what i mean if nobody else already has!!

x
Old 07-27-2007, 09:23 PM   #8
Mort
Czech Eskimo

I realized this when I was playing the song on my piano the other day.
So I think you're definitely right that it's a metaphor

Berlin 15/3/07, Dresden 22/7/07, Prague 10/7/12.

last.fm
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
the gun part is definitely a metaphor for his penis - it all makes sense with the story, i've got to go right now but i'll come back later and explain what i mean if nobody else already has!!

x
Agree!
Knowing what we know about Damien... he's deep and thoughtfull but in the end everything comes right down to his Penis!

cheers!

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:52 PM   #10
Nine
Inuit

The song is about when Damien had a girlfriend in Paris, and he was at college (university), at a party. Two hot girls came onto him, and he was this close to having a threesome with them when he remembered about this girlfriend of his.

So, everything makes sense when in that context.

'This is not what I do' - i shouldn't be behaving like this, it's not me

'It's a small crime' - it's a small crime in the grand scale of all crimes, but it is a crime in an emotional sense

'Give my gun away when it's loaded' - give, essentially, my penis to somebody when it's already been loaded - i.e taken, by somebody else

'If you don't shoot it, how am I supposed to hold it?' - You're all the way in Paris, my penis is yours, but you can't make me cum because you're not with me. So how am I supposed to hold it and not let somebody else shoot it instead?

Yay
Old 07-27-2007, 10:37 PM   #11
ste_swann
Stupidest Eskimo

pretty explanatory, me says =P
Old 07-27-2007, 11:24 PM   #12
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenBledsoe
haha why is that?
Because it's ruuuude!
Old 07-28-2007, 01:29 AM   #13
Rue Saint-Denis
Eskimo Ghost

I've thought about the significance of the gun and figured it must be something else because I have heard that metaphor in other songs by other artists, one being a woman. I'd give it more consideration.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:37 AM   #14
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rue Saint-Denis
I've thought about the significance of the gun and figured it must be something else because I have heard that metaphor in other songs by other artists, one being a woman. I'd give it more consideration.
What d'ya mean, exactly? Do you mean you've heard gun used as a metaphor for Penis before in other songs, so damien wouldn't have done the same thing - or do you mean, you've heard the word gun used for other things in other songs, so Damien can't be using it as a metaphor for a penis?

Sorry, I am slow today! xx
Old 07-28-2007, 01:39 AM   #15
viv
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
The song is about when Damien had a girlfriend in Paris, and he was at college (university), at a party. Two hot girls came onto him, and he was this close to having a threesome with them when he remembered about this girlfriend of his.

Yay

Anyone think his stories might be billSh!t?
viv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:46 AM   #16
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by viv
Anyone think his stories might be billSh!t?
Ha, yep! it's not unlikely!
Old 07-28-2007, 01:57 AM   #17
Rue Saint-Denis
Eskimo Ghost

The reference to his penis might have some verisimilitude, I do not oppose it. I'm just saying that I've heard other artists use a gun as a metaphor meaning it might have more of a significance than just his penis.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:13 AM   #18
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean C
Because it's ruuuude!
how is it rude? the guy tells an elaborate story about his penis at just about every concert nowadays, it's not like this is uncovered territory!

Old 07-28-2007, 03:15 AM   #19
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Nine, I think you explained perfectly!!!!! The only thing I see different is the 'loaded' part. IMO it loaded here means 'full of sperm', you know, like all these stories he's been telling lately about the correlation between the amount of sperm you contain and how much you desire someone. So the whole Give my gun away when it's loaded would me something like 'give myself away when i'm horny'!!!!!
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:17 AM   #20
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

the professor... need i say more?
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:38 AM   #21
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Nine, I think you explained perfectly!!!!! The only thing I see different is the 'loaded' part. IMO it loaded here means 'full of sperm', you know, like all these stories he's been telling lately about the correlation between the amount of sperm you contain and how much you desire someone. So the whole Give my gun away when it's loaded would me something like 'give myself away when i'm horny'!!!!!
i completely agree. i was going to say that but i couldnt find a delicate, lady-like way of conveying the idea, so i abandoned my attempt.

apparently some think girls should pretend they dont know the word penis exists. personally, im quite grateful it exists

Last edited by LaurenBledsoe; 07-28-2007 at 05:29 AM.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:15 AM   #22
wanderer
Eskimoness

It is much sillier to use words that take place of the word penis. I wonder if anytime Damien will get tired of using metaphors and just start saying penis. ( I mean besides using the word dick in professor.) That's as close as he has gotten.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:43 AM   #23
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

wouldnt that be rad? "put my penis away, when its loaded... "

Old 07-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #24
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Quote:
wouldnt that be rad? "put my penis away, when its loaded... "
This can definitely cause more problems than good...unless of course you're a pastor. Ouch! Just had to go there, it was too perfect to let go. Thanks for the compliment on the avatar, Shakira's hips definitely don't lie...

By the way, all these women talkin' about the word penis is quite a breakthrough. I've always heard cock, tool, pole, or rod perhaps. Penis was never a cool word to me but the same can be said about women. I prefer to call the vagina anything but vagina. For some reason I think of velcro ripping whenever someone says this word, I prefer pussy instead. You can never go wrong with that and it rolls directly off the tongue (pun intended). Au revoir...

Last edited by Valentino; 07-28-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:00 PM   #25
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
i completely agree. i was going to say that but i couldnt find a delicate, lady-like way of conveying the idea, so i abandoned my attempt.

apparently some think girls should pretend they dont know the word penis exists. personally, im quite grateful it exists

Thank u!!! my thoughts exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino
This can definitely cause more problems than good...unless of course you're a pastor. Ouch! Just had to go there, it was too perfect to let go. Thanks for the compliment on the avatar, Shakira's hips definitely don't lie...

By the way, all these women talkin' about the word penis is quite a breakthrough. I've always heard cock, tool, pole, or rod perhaps. Penis was never a cool word to me but the same can be said about women. I prefer to call the vagina anything but vagina. For some reason I think of velcro ripping whenever someone says this word, I prefer pussy instead. You can never go wrong with that and it rolls directly off the tongue (pun intended). Au revoir...
hahaha.... made me laugh immensly!
Very graphic might i add!

Welcome to the 21st. Century!

Cheers!

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:01 PM   #26
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Ah yes of course. I have always thought that it meant that also, I'm not sure why I didn't include it in my explanation! Definitely relevant.
x
Old 07-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #27
Ships_Were_Sailin
Eskimo Regular

this topic rocks, i think damien is a penis enthusiast.

Yet i keep going to where it seems i'm meant to go
Ships_Were_Sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:31 AM   #28
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

there is absolutely no doubt that this song is about being loaded and ready to go with someone other than your signifigant other. I mean its pretty simple, no?

cheers guys, I loved this thread..

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:38 AM   #29
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

I won't share my interpretation of this song, given it's a family forum But anyone who wants to PM me, can drown in the pure unadulterated filth, if they wish.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:32 PM   #30
Rai
Eskimontologist

Happiness is a warm gun, what more could I add?

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote