Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 01-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
administrator
forum administrator

Default New Damien Song with Carrie Tree and Andy Barlow

As, mentioned on the news page... there is a new song featuring Damien with Carrie Tree and Andy Barlow called "Back to Beginning"... You can listen here.

I like it!

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

beautiful!
Old 01-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i like it too. quite different from damien´s stuff, but i like what he did in this song. thanks emmett.

Last edited by verenita; 01-03-2010 at 03:04 PM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
Anja
Found a fairy in her room

Nice! Thanks emmett
Old 01-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Gary Barlow would've been more interesting!

Thanks.
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
October Sky
Eskimo Regular

I love it! It is really different, but it's a great sound! I love this song!
October Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

It's really, really good. Not at all what I want to listen to when I want to listen to Damien (ie it's not depressing or heartbreaking enough), but I still like what they've done and wouldn't mind hearing more like this!
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
Cerque
Resident Irishman

Holy ****. This is really Celtic, like Enya or something. Its really pure, spiritual. Beautiful.

This is like Damien Is getting all celtic. I think that woman is Scottish as well.
Cerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

I don't like it at all. I hope his new album does not have songs like this or Making Noise on them. I prefer his music more spare, raw, and acoustic. These new collaborations sound over-produced and definitely lack the magical quality of O and 9. (imho)

http://thatgirlwiththefreckles.blogspot.com/
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

hmmmm.. definitely a different side of damo...It's nice but not the type of music i think we associate damien with and expect from him. I like it but it's nothing that really blew me away... Making noise I loved. At first it was kinda like meh... but it grew on me and maybe this song will too... I really hope "Everyone Said It" will be recorded. i keep singing it in my head at random times and it's so fun

thanks emmett
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate

Last edited by dboyd; 01-03-2010 at 08:28 PM.
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #11
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
As, mentioned on the news page... there is a new song featuring Damien with Carrie Tree and Andy Barlow called "Back to Beginning"... You can listen here.

I like it!
1. Making Noise...2. that David Hopkins thing..ouch! .3. and now this...not A Great Trifecta, whether he wrote them or not, they are the 3 most recent

i do think this song is Good...but that´s it....

I want to hear songs that sound like damien Rice songs...think all Damien fans do....what´s he doing?
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #12
Cerque
Resident Irishman

he has chaned ffs, so has his musical perspective.
Cerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #13
Joyful
Eskimama

It's very different sounding for Damien Rice, but I like it. It's pretty.
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:36 AM   #14
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantMan View Post
1. Making Noise...2. that David Hopkins thing..ouch! .3. and now this...not A Great Trifecta, whether he wrote them or not, they are the 3 most recent

i do think this song is Good...but that´s it....

I want to hear songs that sound like damien Rice songs...think all Damien fans do....what´s he doing?
i think this isn´t different from other side projects he did a couple of years ago: "don´t explain" with lisa and herbie hancock and tori amos´ song, "the power of orange knickers". even different from the songs for the gold fish soundtrack.

it´s no about damien, and, to me, this is what makes everything more interesting (of course, imho). he does sing a good and different stuff on someone else´s creations.

by the way, i do like making noise. really.

Last edited by verenita; 01-04-2010 at 12:42 AM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:57 AM   #15
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

^I disagree. I think Don't Explain and The Power of Orange Knickers are much, much better than any of the recently released collaborations.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #16
verenita
... trusty and true ...

alright. but i´m not talking about good or bad, better or worst songs (it depends on one´s taste). i´m saying this is not about damien stuff.

anyway, disagreement accepted
Old 01-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #17
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

Ohh I see what you're saying: that it's a reflection of the main artist who wrote the song, not of Damien who is just contributing vocals or what not. Good point.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #18
Ramalama
Eskimo Friend

I don't like it nor any of the new collaboration songs. Damien is best solo. This one sounds like a Eurovision Song Contest entry.
Ramalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:42 AM   #19
Glockypaws
Eskimo Baby

Back to beginning with head held high no matter what they say.

The biggest fans are the most important.

I like it too.
Glockypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:03 AM   #20
cille
creepycute

It's nice enough I think. The synths are a bit overpowering at some point, and the vocal production's a bit tinny, which makes it sound somewhat sticky. But orther than that it works fine, the tune is nice too.

And I smell people in here who should stop expecting Damien to do O every time he participates in something....just saying. Allow him to develop as an artist, to try different things and sometimes fail, or at least fail people's expectations. I think it's interesting to see what he comes up with next.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:09 AM   #21
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

^He's free to do 9 as well.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:12 AM   #22
cille
creepycute

^Well 9 was exactly what I think Damien shouldn't do: make an album just to please other people.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:04 AM   #23
Darvish
Eskimo Friend

nicely said
Old 01-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #24
Samart
Nothing unusual...

We don't necessary need to compare with O each time he sing and play somewhere.

This song will not be released in a Damien's album as Damien Rice's music (maybe). It is an artist who is particating into a group session of making music. It's very enjoyable, so is he very clever to do it. Recently, he showed many signs of cleverness.

This song "Back to beginning" is a good song. It gives me good vibes.
I will always welcome good musicians doing good music.

ps: 9 was not a bad album. 9 can beat many of the albums I have in my discotheque. So, in final, I'm happy it went out.

Last edited by Samart; 01-05-2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: to add *(maybe)* ~because I don't know what I'm talking about~ ;)
Samart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #25
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I do like the song but I'm a big fan of LAMB so maybe i'm biased. But yes, we don't have to see it as a Damien song, this is not gonna be in the duets/nature album, it's the other way around, it's Damien taking part in the Barlow album...

ohhh and I just remembered that Damien opened for Lamb back in the day, I think it was Lisbon in 03 (?), so maybe the friendship comes from that period...

Last edited by borneoman; 01-05-2010 at 11:22 AM.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #26
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille View Post
^Well 9 was exactly what I think Damien shouldn't do: make an album just to please other people.
I dunno, I still think 9 is a fantastic album.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #27
Darvish
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenM View Post
I dunno, I still think 9 is a fantastic album.
that's no longer the point....i don't think the intent here was to make something that's positively has to satisfy. Not saying that it's bad or anything, but Damien did with a cause. There is a cause here and there obviously was a cause with Making Noise. So why criticize?
Old 01-06-2010, 02:31 AM   #28
October Sky
Eskimo Regular

I think all new songs sound weird at first because usually it's been awhile since the artist has put out new material. There are bands that keep the same type of sound with each CD, and their music mixes together well, and there are other artists who like to experiment and release new types of sounds. There's nothing wrong with either way. After so long of not hearing new material, though, everything seems weird and different.
October Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:39 AM   #29
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

ok so now that i have listened to this song for a few days now i am ready to say i like it.

its not the same as old D, i like that he is evolving cause it gives him more music and range

it is very celtic (Cerque) and that i love .. maybe we can expect a Damien Rice and the Chieftains album in the future

i like that he layers his voice in different keys which he has done on the last few songs noise, debts, beginning .. it is very bon iver

what i like most though ... is that it is anything at all ... for years we've waited without word and now 4 huge pieces of news in 2 months (iceland concert/ Bono Busk, interview, singles, and knowing that he is in the studio)

right there is the most we have heard from him since he got back from south america ... what did you guys do to him down there ... what ever happened, damien, it's not your fault

this summer i'd've taken pots and pans if he was singing over it ... i'm sure he wouldn't've liked it much but feck him, i'm american and i want it now (just kidding it's music, not oil)

all i wish is that he keeps making music in any form that makes him happy and wanting to keep making music cause i feel like he could walk away from it all at any time and that would be the last we hear from him
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 AM   #30
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Agreed. Damien Rice can and should make any kind of music that pleases him especially if he's just singing a verse or two on a friend's track to help them gain some attention.

I also find it odd when people seem to lament that he needs to make another album like "O" but should not delve into different genres. What the heck album are they listening to? Certainly not the one with everything from Gregorian chant to Finnish Opera to klezmer influences. Say what you will about "9" but even those who didn't like it have to recognize that was even more musically diverse. Now add in all the unreleased material and I'm baffled by this notion that there's a definable type of music which Damo creates.

Last edited by Spamlet; 01-06-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote