Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 10-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #1
wiz561
Eskimo Baby

Default Chicago reschedule at The Vic

Any thoughts on it getting moved to the vic? I always felt like part of Damien's shows were a unique experience at an intimate small theater. Now that it's been moved to the Vic, I wonder how the dynamic will change, if any.
wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

This sucks. It's GA. So much for all that work to get 4th row seats and all the people who paid more to sit close. That is garbage.
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

At least it's on a weekend. The Vic is great for a rock show. I saw damien there in 2006 and people treated it like a rock show. Everyone was loud and talking.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

http://www.damienrice.com/update-chi...s-rescheduled/
Old 10-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
wiz561
Eskimo Baby

My feelings are the same. We had maybe 4th-ish row and now it's GA. Not very excited about it, and it sounds like a lot of people are pissed, if you go through his facebook post about it.

I think it would only be fair to put seats down and have an equivalent seating arrangement per your original ticket. I also agree that it looses it's intimacy and people may be more open to talking to each other.

The Vic is a great place, but I'm not exactly sure how it will be with Damien. I didn't get to see him in 2006 but we did see him a few years ago at a professional theater in the loop and it was spectacular. I just can't remember the place or the date. Getting old sucks.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:55 PM   #6
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

I hate the Vic for quiet shows. You only hear the hNd dryers from the bathrooms. It's really really annoying and sucks the life out of a room.

It's a seated GA show so even more of a Fück you to people who spent more to sit in the orchestra.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #7
lod
Eskimo Regular

Default Are you all being a bit harsh?

Obviously it's not ideal but damien had two choices.. Refunds, or reschedule.. They have to play where is free on the night , probably not ideal for him either.. I don't know the venues,so can't comment on acoustics etc.... But anyone that doesn't want to go can cancel and sell....or make the most of it...there are still so many people who would give anything to go see him anywhere... In any seat..just saying.... I hope Damien doesn't read the negativity coming out of some comments.. He's got the integrity and strength to do this tour even though he's not 100%..
lod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #8
melodie
mmm bop.

arghhh, november 14th is my birthday! but also the night i leave for new york. the timing couldn't be more unfortunate for me.
melodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Harsh? Excuse me but when you pay for a ticket you have the reasonable expectation that it will be honored.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:41 PM   #10
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Especially when I am paying more but the tickets will be the exact same as the people who paid less. That's simply not fair. And that isn't even counting people who bought their tickets on stubhub. T
Old 10-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #11
wiz561
Eskimo Baby

I can understand both sides of the story.... It's awesome that he rescheduled and I'm very thankful for that, but it should make it interesting to see how it goes at the Vic. I am one of those people who ended up paying for floor. I'm not quite sure how much difference it is in price from floor and balcony, but I will say that the floor price was reasonable compared to other shows.

The other stickler is that the wife is pregnant and due a month from the show. Having a pregnant wife in a seat close to the stage was a good thing. Having a pregnant wife standing for two hours may not be the best thing.

Part of me wonders how this was done. I get the feeling that Damien chooses locations that are intimate and special. I also get the feeling that JAM chooses whatever is available. It's like Damien chooses quality and JAM chooses quantity. I don't know anything about it, but I just get the feeling that it may had been a JAM decision to choose the Vic.

I think that the Vic changes a lot about the show. I hope I'm wrong and I know I will enjoy myself no matter what, but I wished it was at the original location.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #12
wiz561
Eskimo Baby

And even after thinking about it for a few minutes after posting, I really do think that everything will be fine....except for the hand dryers...lol. You have to remember that there aren't going to be any moshing at a damien rice concert. Different crowds...
Old 10-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #13
bluebeagle
Serious Eskimo

Does anyone really know if it will be standing GA or GA seating??
bluebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #14
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Seated ga
Old 10-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #15
bluebeagle
Serious Eskimo

If it is seated then I think despite it being GA it should still be pretty great. I'll just be getting in line extra early.
bluebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:57 PM
bluebeagle
This message has been deleted by bluebeagle. Reason: Did not place correctly
Old 10-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #16
RCampobasso
Eskimo Baby

Default Double Ear Infection

After watching the music video for "I Don't Want to Change You" I think I have a better understanding of where the double ear infection came from. When you fall into a lake in Iceland like 27 times, you're bound to get sick, Damien Rice.
RCampobasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:04 PM   #17
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

I just spoke to the Athenaeum and they are pissed. JAM didn't even ask if they could rebook him there. Just decided to pull the plug on the place. And they are open that night and said they would've loved to have him. The reason is that JAM owns The Vic and it saved them money by not having it at a theatre they don't own. Also the Athenaeum said that it is bs to make all the tickets GA when people paid more to sit orchestra and less to sit balcony. If Jam is going to do that they should refund the difference or have ga floor and ga balcony.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #18
wiz561
Eskimo Baby

In the email, it says....

Quote:
There will be no reserved seating for this new show, so all tickets are now General Admission.
Who knows if they will put seats down or not. Somebody in other thread said something about the Vic putting seats down every now and then....so maybe there will be seats but it's a first come first serve type thing....which sucks for us that originally had good seats, but at least the wife would be more comfy.

Like I said earlier, I have no clue about how booking works, but what Shillelagh said was kind of what I was thinking. It sounds more like a JAM decision than a Damien one. If I was Athenaeum, I would kind of be angry too because I'm sure they're either loosing money or could had gained money from the second show.

I know some of us are complaining about it, but it's not like I'm blowing my stack over it. Ultimately, I'm really glad he's coming back, but I think it would had been a little nicer at the Athenaeum for everybody.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:25 PM   #19
wiz561
Eskimo Baby

One more thing.... I think you're following along with the facebook thread, but JAM's site says it's back at the Athaneum, but people are thinking that it's just says that because it was originally there and will be rescheduled at the vic. JAM also says....

Quote:
Rescheduled from October 13. All original tickets for the Athenaeum Theatre will be valid. General admission, seated show.
So I'm glad that at least it will be seated and the wife will be able to be more comfortable.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #20
RCampobasso
Eskimo Baby

Agreed that I'd much rather get seats at the Athenaeum. Much better venue for this show than the Vic. Plus our seats were awesome. Now I have to show up early and wait in line to get decent seats.
RCampobasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #21
poormonkey
Eskimo Baby

If anyone can't make the vic show or doesnt want to stand for the show, let me know. I was out of town last show for work, I love to goto the vic show. If anyone selling their ticket let me know. Acemas@gmail.com Thanks
poormonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #22
soChildish
Eskimo Baby

I'm glad that the show got rescheduled and not cancelled. I guess that's the best perspective to have.

It is unfortunate that it's on a Friday and it's GA, I'll have to leave work a little earlier to get in line. I wish they would at least separate the floor and balcony. Weren't the Athenaeum tickets bracketed into two price ranges? I feel like it's a little unfair for those of us that paid more for the floor to have to compete with balcony people. Hurts a little more too because I had front row center floor seats.

https://twitter.com/JamUSA/status/523195271220850688
^Jam is claiming all tickets were the same price, but I thought the floor face was more, right?

My fear is that I went to the Vic for their Brew/Views a few years ago and they put out LAWN chairs for that and I'm hoping they have new seating because they were really uncomfortable and squeaky.

Do we think they're gonna release more tickets to the public now that it's a bigger space?

EDIT: Just walked by The Vic and they have a thing on their marquee saying they are doing renovations all the way through November, wondering if/how that will affect the acoustics

Last edited by soChildish; 10-19-2014 at 10:23 PM.
soChildish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:50 PM   #23
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soChildish View Post
https://twitter.com/JamUSA/status/523195271220850688
^Jam is claiming all tickets were the same price, but I thought the floor face was more, right?
I could be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure during the presale when I was trying to get tickets both floor and balcony were listed at the same price.

I think I paid something like $62 each after taxes/fees for our balcony tickets?

That said, as someone who did have balcony tickets I'm kind of excited at the option to maybe get a little closer, though I hate that it might come at the risk of others missing out on good seats they managed to secure.

I wasn't super thrilled about being in the balcony in the first place, but I'm also kind of bummed that they rescheduled somewhere other than the Athenaeum. I thought that little theatre was really cool. (If it did need more stalls in the ladies room.)
mandarific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:05 PM   #24
soChildish
Eskimo Baby

Yeah, you could be right, I just cant remember.
soChildish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:58 AM   #25
tessalasset
Eskimo Regular

I mean you can see right there in Patrick's tweetversation that the tickets were all the same price. JAM says they were, and Patrick said he paid more on stubhub. That's not JAM's problem, unfortunately. Tix were the same price.

Still a super ****ty situation and they should have gone back to the other venue. Too bad.
tessalasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:25 AM   #26
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Tix were the same price for chicago. I had confused it with the LA show. Which were different prices.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #27
VanessaRoss
Eskimo Baby

I talked to the Vic today and they said that Damien is working on rescheduling the show at the original venue. They will know in the next 48 hours! This could mean I get my 2nd row seats back.
VanessaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #28
melodie
mmm bop.

i spoke to someone at the original venue today and he said they were waiting on more details from jam and would only have info for us on wednesday.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #29
melodie
mmm bop.

do you think they would reschedule again? the athenaeum doesn't seem available on the 14th.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #30
tessalasset
Eskimo Regular

Further back in this thread the Athenaeum said they'd reschedule their other show to get Damien back.
tessalasset is offline   Reply With Quote