Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 04-22-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

Default Earth day - Apr 22nd

Today is Earth Day and I thought an Earth Day post would be a good idea because we only have one Earth to live on and we don't always take care of it. So post here if you have tips, comments, links, etc. Happy Earth Day y'all.

There tips are very simple and anybody can follow them:

* Turn off, Shut off, Turn off. Turn your computer off. I'm guilty of this "crime", I always forget to turn off my computer or set it to hibernate, I'll try to be more careful. Turn off the lights when you walk out of a room. Shut off the water when you brush your teeth. Turn off your car when your stuck in traffic or then you're in the drive-through.

* Discard those horrible incandescent light bulbs and start using energy saving bulbs. They're more expensive BUT they last longer and use less energy.

* Go Paperless. Many banks offer the option to use electronic instead of paper statements. Use a debit card and forget about checks. If you subscribe to a magazine, get the electronic version. Pay your bills online.

* This is one of my favorite tips: Get Reusable grocery bags You can make your own or you can buy them, they're very cheap. Keep them in your car and take them with you when you buy your groceries. At first people will look at you funny but they'll get over it. They also make great presents to your hippie friends. So next time someone asks you 'paper or plastic?', say 'neither'.

* Open your windows. You don't really need to have the AC or the heater turned on all the time, it's spring!

* I saw this tip on a magazine: Put a blanket around your water heater. That way the water will stay warm longer.

* Eat less meat. Seriously, cows produce methane which is worse than carbon dioxide.

* Recycle. Duh!!!! Also use rechargeable batteries and buy recycled paper.

* Go Thrift Store Shopping. Really!! Not only you'll find awsome vintage clothes, but you will consume less energy.

* If you work in an office, use your own plates and cutlery, NOT disposables.

Check out this link, skip the propaganda and go straight to take actions
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
Topspin047
tennis pro

hmm well your thread is prettier, so i'll delete mine, if i can figure out how haha.

yes happy earth day indeed.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
Ships_Were_Sailin
Eskimo Regular

happy earth day everyone, convient to celebrate it on SUNday too....

im bored

Yet i keep going to where it seems i'm meant to go
Ships_Were_Sailin is offline   Reply With Quote