soundboard recordings of concerts in
either MP3 or FLAC format for $9.95 or
$12.95 within four days of each show.

Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich said:
'This is the next logical step in a
process that began back in 1991 when we
first implemented the 'Taper Section'
at our shows.
Just interested in what the established traders here think of this development.

I'm also opening a book on how quickly metallica will sue someone for trading/b&ping one of these recordings.Edited by: #Ian#
Old 03-02-2004, 02:02 PM   #2
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Why would people pay, if there are gonna be free recordings circulating anyway? Is it a legal issue if they release a recording of a certain gig, and then someone in the audience starts circulating their own recording of the gig?</font>
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
daol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 02:30 PM   #3
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Well its a soundboard recording so I'd assume it will sound really good. And I'd imagine that in the T&C's of the sale its says that they retain copywrite.

I think its quite a good idea, but a tad expensive, if it were me I'd only charge so much that I'd be breaking even out of it.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:39 PM   #4
Louise
Eskimo Regular

I hate those metallica bastards.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:01 PM   #5
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Don't we all.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:25 PM   #6
Mario
Eskimo Regular

Relax.

Metallica is only following a trend. Phish has done this for a couple years (http://www.livephish.com/), as has Pearl Jam, though they each have taken different approaches.

Dave Matthews Band also announced that beginning this summer they will do this as well.

There are pros and cons and it depends on the artist. I know very little about Pearl Jam and Metallica's sound systems and taping community, so I can't comment.

As far as Phish and DMB, its not a big issue. Taping is completely unaffected, and there will be many shows which will sound better from the taper than the copy made for sale.A couple of days of production will not make it sound all that much better than some of the recordings tapers pull at these bands' shows.

As far as DMB, the SBDs won't sound too bad, I assume. They have six microphones placed around the ampitheatre to pick up crowd noise, so I assume that will be on the CD.

However, just being a soundboard does not mean it will sound better. This can be done very very very wrong and end up sounding terrible. If the bands start editing, or recording over misplayed notes, or things like that, it will be sh*t.

But, as for the effect on trading communities, it doesn't matter. Pearl Jam openly encourages trading of their live releases. In the end, for an established trading community, it is be a good thing. We end up matrixing the AUD and SBD and sharing them freely.
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 03:36 PM   #7
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

I find it strange that Pearl Jam encourage taping of their shows while at the same time selling commercial releases or vast numbers of their live shows. Its cool, but its strange.

Its an interesting developement but all in all as I've said its a good one.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:00 PM   #8
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

I think Pearl Jam does it for the fans...all of the live CDs are at least two CD sets, they're only available for a limited time, members of the fan club have priority. They have gone back and forth on releasing all of them for general sale to the public, non-fan club members. This past tour, they only released certain shows (the best shows) for sale at major retailers.

When they first did it, they released a bunch of shows to the general public all during the same week and went down in history for the most number of albums to simultaneously enter the Billboard charts. I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but it was definitely more than 10 albums all entering the chart that week.

I like that I don't have to try to infiltrate the trading community to try to get a copy of the show. I like that I can just get a copy of the show, regardless of whether there are better copies out there. Plus, I don't have to rely on some people who have certain recordings that they won't put out there....grrrr....I just get them straight from the band and they're pretty reasonably priced.
GlttrGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 06:11 PM   #9
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Clearchannel is running a pilot project here in Boston where they sell the live CD's minutes after the end of the gig. From what I heard they are splitting the revenue with the band 50:50 and the bands are happy.

You can see where this is going, no, if Clearchannel is getting their grubby hands on this? [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:08 PM   #10
pnobles
Eskimo Friend

"Well its a soundboard recording so I'd assume it will sound really good. "

I would rather have a good aud recording than a soundboard. Alot of times with the quick production and the same day release, the soundboards sound really flat and lifeless. some people like that sound though. Tapes will still be made and traded, like mario said, mixed with the soundboard copies. I think it is a great thing that bands like phish and pearljam started. It shows people the power of live music. Now clear channel on the other hand...they need to jumo OFF the band wagon. ( if you notice, pearl jam was one of the first to pull away from CC and TM. )

My .02

Pat
Old 03-02-2004, 10:55 PM   #11
Funky Avocado
Eskimo Regular

I actually prefer a warm crispy soundboard but it all depends on the listener. Some like to hear the energy from the crowd while others like to listen to subtle nuances of what a guitarist was playing that night for instance. What I hope we can all agree on is Clearchannel is the anti-christ and whatever monopoly those schmucks are involved in should be taken with a grain of salt..
Funky Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:38 AM   #12
Mario
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Avocado
I actually prefer a warm crispy soundboard but it all depends on the listener. Some like to hear the energy from the crowd while others like to listen to subtle nuances of what a guitarist was playing that night for instance.
I think what you're missing is that these won't be warm and crispy. They won't be mastered beyond a very very limited level. They won't sound like a live concert release, which takes months and months of production work. It'll just sound like a concert in a completely empty room.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:45 AM   #13
pnobles
Eskimo Friend

to each their own, but there is a strong chance these recordings wont have much editing and mastering since they are being turned around and sold right after the show.

and YES, Clearchannel sucks.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:06 PM   #14
Angela
Eskimo Regular

I never said CC doesn't suck - just for the record [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

Interestingly I haven't read any updates about their "pilot program", but then I don't read the local paper regularly. The revenue potential for them is so enourmous, I'd be surprised if they don't pursue this agressively, especially for larger mainstream acts in bigger venues.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:35 PM   #15
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

I know Clear Channel are promoters and marketers of live entertainment, but thats about it. Why do they suck? Is it because of their selling of live recordings after the gigs? Or are there other reasons?
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
daol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 12:51 PM   #16
Funky Avocado
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Avocado
I actually prefer a warm crispy soundboard but it all depends on the listener. Some like to hear the energy from the crowd while others like to listen to subtle nuances of what a guitarist was playing that night for instance.
I think what you're missing is that these won't be warm and crispy. They won't be mastered beyond a very very limited level. They won't sound like a live concert release, which takes months and months of production work. It'll just sound like a concert in a completely empty room.
I have no experience with what clearchannel is kicking out after a show but if it's just a patch out from the board I have plenty of Healy and Betty boards from the Dead over the years that sounds absolutely amazing without any mastering. But a lot of that I suspect was due to the fact Mr. Healy was da man!
I love audience as well. The oade brothers have over the years recorded some of the finest shows my ears have had the priviledge to hear. I love talking to those guys when I am interested in new equipment as they know their stuff!
Personally, I think the bands should leave the live taping except maybe a release here or there to the fans. It fosters a cool fair trading network with the idea of one person sharing music with another freely. I love the sense of community that develops as it almost takes on as a entity of itself. Good stuff.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:57 PM   #17
Funky Avocado
Eskimo Regular

Daol20- I haven't been there in awhile but try www.clearchannelsucks.org

Cheers
Old 03-03-2004, 03:12 PM   #18
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Clearchannel owns about every seat your ass ever sits in while listening to music, every billboard along US highways and every square inch of floor space you want to stand on.

Not quite - but you get the idea (and comprehend the implications). They own about all major venues.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:57 PM   #19
Mario
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela
Clearchannel owns about every seat your ass ever sits in while listening to music, every billboard along US highways and every square inch of floor space you want to stand on.

Not quite - but you get the idea (and comprehend the implications). They own about all major venues.

True, though exagerated. However, thats not why they suck.

Its because they own very large number of concert venues, a major promotion company, and an every increasing majority of radio stations. Thus, they have a ridiculous control over music accessibility.