Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 05-03-2009, 01:55 AM   #301
Devushka
Folkie Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerque View Post
women like skinny arms? All my life i have been worried about mine!
when are u guys gonna learn that us girls dont like men because of how they look... yes, we do find some men atractive, but there is MUCH more than that... ;P
Devushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #302
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
women like skinny arms? All my life i have been worried about mine!
well, i can´t speak for every woman of course, but i DO like skinny arms
Old 05-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #303
Cerque
Resident Irishman

Wow! I will keep that in mind. You guys seem to like Damos beard as well.
Cerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #304
Ewwa
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Wow! I will keep that in mind. You guys seem to like Damos beard as well.
Definitely! I like three day beards!

Last edited by Ewwa; 05-03-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Ewwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #305
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devushka View Post
when are u guys gonna learn that us girls dont like men because of how they look... yes, we do find some men atractive, but there is MUCH more than that... ;P
Are you sure?

|
|
|
V

Yes, that's me. Enjoy ; )

Back to the main topic. Yes, guys should definitely know by now that women look for much more than just looks when it comes to selecting a potential lover.

Women aren't as superficial as us (for the most part). Of course there will always be those women who only look for the materialistic things in life, but why would you want to be with them in the first place?

Peace.

Last edited by Valentino; 05-03-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:52 PM   #306
cille
creepycute

^duuuude!

actually i prefer it when people of either gender don't worry too much of 'sculpting' their bodies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewwa View Post
Definitely! I like three day beards!
wellll that LOOKS good, but feels baaaad to your skin
Old 05-04-2009, 01:09 AM   #307
Joyful
Eskimama

^ seconded on both points.
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:32 AM   #308
verenita
... trusty and true ...

me too
Old 05-04-2009, 02:55 AM   #309
Timeé
Intello

I find plenty of women to be superficial when it comes to the attraction of a personality...or maybe i'm just in the wrong goddam city. Of course, men are worse in that sense.
I hate the idea of someone that could be right for me not liking me because I don't fit into their menu.
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:56 AM   #310
Devushka
Folkie Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille View Post

actually i prefer it when people of either gender don't worry too much of 'sculpting' their bodies.
I totally second this one!! i'm into guys that "sculpt" their minds thou!!
But don't get me wrong... taking care of your body in a healthy way is also smart and I appreciate it
Old 05-04-2009, 03:43 AM   #311
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

I like buff arms...Valentino, lookin' good...

http://thatgirlwiththefreckles.blogspot.com/
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:52 AM   #312
Darvish
Eskimo Friend

yea, it's NICE to think that a person likes someone based on personality over looks...but that's just not realistic...i mean, realistically, the only reason we could ever be attracted to another person in the first place is through looks, from far away, across the room or something...it's not like they're behind a close door, and you hear them talk and you instantly go..."omg, i love her voice, i love her"...but then again, most girls here in california are just too materialistic and vain for their own good. It's as if they spend their whole day texting on their phone and going around saying "cute" this or "ew" that
Old 05-04-2009, 06:33 AM   #313
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenM View Post
I like buff arms...Valentino, lookin' good...
Thanks love, haven't seen you in ages. Hope all is well ; )

Here's the thing about physical attraction vs. being attracted to someone's personality:

They're both 2 sides to 1 coin.
This doesn't necessarily mean that they are 50/50 when it comes to value or worth. It simply means that the laws of attraction are also governed by the very same laws of nature...everything in duality ; )

Let's face it, we live in a society where there is a huge emphasis on looks. And although looks aren't all that matter, they're still very important. Of course there is a huge rift in thinking when comparing the thoughts of men and women.

I personally believe that women are much more evolved than men and I'm completely fascinated by them. In my experience, I've come to know that women are much closer to the energy and flow of the Universe than men could ever be.

And I'll also say this...I rather date an average looking woman who has an amazing personality than to sleep with a bimbo who can't even hold a conversation. I live in California and we have a reputation of having all these aspiring actresses walking around. With that in mind, I've only come across a handful of women who have stimulated me both mentally and physically.

I wonder if Lauren is feeling adventurous...

; )

Last edited by Valentino; 05-04-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #314
Cerque
Resident Irishman

Thats the thing though. It is a lot easier in my opinion to change your body than to change your personality.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #315
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

Valentino all is very well, thanks for asking

I think it simply comes down to evolution. Men are naturally meant to constantly be thinking about spreading their seed so humanity will continue. They also have been biologically engineered to look for the best-looking mate so that, from an evolutionary perspective, their offspring has the best chance of survival.

Women, on the other hand, are concerned primarily with the survival of their offspring and themselves. In many primitive cultures, women needed men to be the hunter-gatherer so that they could have food for themselves and their children. So, women look at two things. 1. Looks--will this person likely produce offspring that will have a chance at survival and 2. Breadwinning--will this person stick around and feed me and our children. I think that is why women are much more easily swayed to be with someone whom they initially are not attracted to.

Now, with women being much more self-sufficient in developed countries, the lines around these rules have faded. Women can now get their own food, so they are more concerned with personality and character. Men, on the other hand, never needed help from women with survival, so they still look primarily for someone attractive.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #316
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

^ Whether or not men have an instinct to "spread their seed" is arguable. If a man (whether today or 1000 years ago) has sex with 50 women but leaves them to fend for theirselves (and may or may not get them all pregnant), and another man has sex with one or two women (and gets them pregnant multiple times) but provides for them and protects the babies, who has the better chance of having offspring that will survive to childbearing age? It's hard to say, it would depend on many factors, but my point is that spreading your seed around will not necessarily mean continuing the species at a better rate.

Some animals have the speading their seed mentality, and some have the mate for life mentality. Primate babies are helpless for a lot longer than most animals, and therefore, need protection and help. It really makes more sense for a human to mate for life than to just love 'em and leave 'em, as their offspring will have a much better chance of surviving well and reproducing.

To address the looks vs personality debate - really, it is a combination of the two that will make the best partnerships. You need your partner to be someone who you find attractive - not necessarily the most beautiful person in the world, but not someone who isn't able to get your hormones going either. And of course you have to like that person's personality, or how else are you going to be able to get along? You don't have to agree with them on everything (indeed, those kind of relationships may not work either - remember the Seinfeld episode where Jerry found a girl just like him?) Yeah, everyone has some flaws, but part of a relationship is accepting those flaws and working with them.

Edit - I also agree with those who like the looks of the 3-day beard, but not the, er, scratchiness!

Last edited by bearbait; 05-04-2009 at 03:01 PM.
bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #317
verenita
... trusty and true ...

guys, you should start another thread in everything else section

back on topic, not that new though (but very cute ones) from here:

even when he is dressed up, he doesn´t look formal at all (i love that, lol!).
Old 05-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #318
Devushka
Folkie Eskimo

my goodness! he's so adorable!!! haha...! thanks Verenita!

PS:very interesting topic that of the women and men diferences...
Old 05-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #319
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

^^Love those pics!!! You're right, we did get a bit off topic there . . .
bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #320
Cerque
Resident Irishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenita View Post
guys, you should start another thread in everything else section

back on topic, not that new though (but very cute ones) from here:

even when he is dressed up, he doesn´t look formal at all (i love that, lol!).

Anti- conformism has always been a thing of damo's.He looks like such a typical Paddy here XD
Old 05-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #321
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
I, for one, would love and greatly appreciate a vine. Sorry, I am really just technologically clueless. But I do have a DVD burner and I am great at mailing stuff
So, if that works that would be terrific! You are all so great and generous. I really appreciate it.
And Verenita, not a dumb question at all, I don't have a clue either.
Thank you so much everyone!
Okay, I talked to Verenita and I'll start the North American vine in the trading section. Sign up there, okay Roxana? Verenita and Gloria will cover South America and Europe.

thanks for getting the thread back on track, V. nice photos
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:54 AM   #322
verenita
... trusty and true ...

you´re welcome, ladies
cerque, by saying "typical paddy" what do you mean? like a typical irish-look or something like that or what?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #323
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenM View Post
Valentino all is very well, thanks for asking

I think it simply comes down to evolution. Men are naturally meant to constantly be thinking about spreading their seed so humanity will continue. They also have been biologically engineered to look for the best-looking mate so that, from an evolutionary perspective, their offspring has the best chance of survival.

Women, on the other hand, are concerned primarily with the survival of their offspring and themselves. In many primitive cultures, women needed men to be the hunter-gatherer so that they could have food for themselves and their children. So, women look at two things. 1. Looks--will this person likely produce offspring that will have a chance at survival and 2. Breadwinning--will this person stick around and feed me and our children. I think that is why women are much more easily swayed to be with someone whom they initially are not attracted to.

Now, with women being much more self-sufficient in developed countries, the lines around these rules have faded. Women can now get their own food, so they are more concerned with personality and character. Men, on the other hand, never needed help from women with survival, so they still look primarily for someone attractive.
I know this thread is "back on track" now and that this type of discussion definitely deserves its own thread. But I just wanted to say that Lauren wrote a beautiful post above. Thanks Lauren ; )
Old 05-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #324
Darvish
Eskimo Friend

don't know if this has been discussed before, but anyone know why he's wearing a wrestling mask in a photo on his website?
Old 05-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #325
Cerque
Resident Irishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvish View Post
don't know if this has been discussed before, but anyone know why he's wearing a wrestling mask in a photo on his website?
So thats why he hasn't made a new album yet. He has a new past time
Old 05-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #326
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
this may be a thick question, but... where? I can't find it
Old 05-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #327
verenita
... trusty and true ...

on his myspace
Old 05-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #328
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
It was a gift from Glen and Marketa for his birthday. That show was in LA on Dec. 8th (his b day is the 7th), and he said something like "now i know how meaningful my friendship is to them" sarcastically. I forget exactly, I wasn't really paying attention. I didn't know who he was at the time and only went for a friend's birthday. I practically slept through the entire thing cause I had gotten up at four that morning....little did I know a week later I would listen to his C.D. and he would become my favorite artist of all time! Ugh, if only I could go back and properly experience that concert!

Old 05-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #329
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

Old 05-08-2009, 04:24 AM   #330
Darvish
Eskimo Friend

scary....musta been hotter than two rats in a wool sock under that