Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 03-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #151
rockthesmurf
Friend

Just a little more information; I was at the competition gig at the Scala in London yesterday, and someone asked Damien once again "Where's Lisa?", as before he paused for a little while then shrugged his shoulders and said "I dunno", then he looked around at each band member, mainly as a joke to see if any of them knew, noone really said anything but then Tom said "she's at home", so Damien repeated this to the audience. Damien seemed to be making it to be a bit of the joke, but it was weird, the other people on stage didn't seem to want to smile about it, they didn't seem to know what to say.

Then some time later (after a song or maybe multiple songs) he went back to the point, I can't remember his exact quote, but it was under the lines of, "Going back to what the guy over there *points to audience, where he believed the 'Where is Lisa' question came from*, it's not that I am trying to avoid the question, it's just, well *pauses*, it's hard. It's like we play music, that's our career, but we are normal, we have personal lifes, we have personal problems, so as much as I want to be open with you all, I also want to be really quiet."

I think the point he was making is that just because he stands in front of thousands of people and entertains millions with his music, it doesn't mean that he should have to share anything about his life other than his music, which to me indicates the current situation with Lisa is something quite personal and not just music related.

Just thought I'd let all you guys that weren't at the gig yesterday know what he said.

And on a side note, OMG THE GIG WAS FANTASTIC!

Steve
xo
Old 03-29-2007, 03:24 PM   #152
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacrossGirl
Way to prove your point dude.. So make up your mind. Which is it? You want to slap him, or you want to tell ppl not to go by the same press release you gripe about here?

Are you illiterate? In this thread, all along, I've been saying that the press release makes him sound infantile. The press release clearly shows he wants people to believe he fired Lisa. Making a statement like that, rather than a vague statement that doesn't place blame or fault on anyone, is why he ought to be slapped. The fact that he clearly wants people to believe he fired Lisa, regardless of whether or not that's true, is why he should be criticized.

An appropriate statement would've read that they've chosen not to perform together. As oppossed to "Damien has decided that his professional relationship with Lisa Hannigan has run its creative course." Can you really not see the difference?

And no, I'm not a "fan" of Damien. Fan is a derivative of "fanatic". As defined by Merriam Webster (http://m-w.com/dictionary/fanatic):

fanatic
One entry found for fanatic.
marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion

My interest in damien is not uncritical. I follow him but can still make up my own mind. I'm sorry you lack that kind of strength.

Last edited by mario_d; 03-29-2007 at 03:26 PM.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:32 PM   #153
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d
I follow him but can still make up my own mind. I'm sorry you lack that kind of strength.
Ah, so it is strength you need to call someone infantile and pathetic...

I always considered that to be weakness.

And unnecessary.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:35 PM   #154
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Yes, it takes more strength to criticize someone than to agree with them. Do you guys really want to deny that fact now, as well?

The description smurf gives of Damien's behavior last night sure sounds immature to me. (Particularly making a joke of it when everyone else on stage is very uncomfortable, and then a few songs later bringing the topic back up.)

Last edited by mario_d; 03-29-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:12 PM   #155
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d
Yes, it takes more strength to criticize someone than to agree with them.
(In this case) it's got nothing to do with strength. So, yes, I'll gladly deny that.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:40 PM   #156
MacrossGirl
No hero in her sky..

[quote=mario_d]Are you illiterate? In this thread, all along, I've been saying that the press release makes him sound infantile. The press release clearly shows he wants people to believe he fired Lisa. Making a statement like that, rather than a vague statement that doesn't place blame or fault on anyone, is why he ought to be slapped. The fact that he clearly wants people to believe he fired Lisa, regardless of whether or not that's true, is why he should be criticized.
QUOTE]

YES IN THIS THREAD> BUT NOT IN THE OTHER THREAD. I quoted you even. Quoted what you wrote. So maybe it is you that is illiterate. Or forgetful? Since you did not read anything I said.

Your funny.

<high five's Accidental

http://www.myspace.com/5859320

Last edited by MacrossGirl; 03-29-2007 at 09:43 PM.
MacrossGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:29 PM   #157
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

In the other thread I didn't give a personal opinion of the statement, just merely said that it should be read as what Damien wants us to believe, not as what necessarily happened. In other words, don't trust it as true, just as what Damien wants us to think is true.

Which, though less blatantly, was still on the critical side of things... saying that you shouldn't trust the statement that was released.

So, please, explain where I contradicted myself.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:29 PM   #158
~Aoife~
Eskimo Regular

Hi guys,

I'm disappointed to come back after being away to this official statement. The brevity of it and the language... I don't know, it just seems a little cold. Just my opinion obviously. I know some will say that its typical of these kind of things. I just think it would be very unfortunate if it all ended on bad terms.

Also, I can't see the value in debating the many possible reasons behind it, though it will undoubtedly continue.

All that's left to say really is that it'll be a great opportunity for Lisa and I'm looking forward to to seeing what she'll do with it. Best of luck to her and hopefully anyone reading the board who knows her will kindly pass our good wishes on.

Aoife
Old 03-30-2007, 02:08 PM   #159
ChrisKN
Eskimo Baby

Wow, I stop checking in for Damien Rice for a week, and I get hit with this.

Frankly, I'm upset that this decision was made in the middle of the tour. Lisa was at least half the reason that "Damien Rice" as the musical entity (not the man) was successful. They might have personal problems, but professionals see out their commitments. I'm not pointing a finger at either one individually, because I don't know which one made the decision to walk away. It's just unfortunate; that's all.

Going to see Damien Rice with my wife for the first time was going to be the high point of our summer. Now I'm not really looking forward to it. No matter how good the concert is, I'm not going to be able to shake the disappointment that Lisa is not there. I'm gutted.
ChrisKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:47 PM   #160
JBTongue
Eskimo Friend

Its crazy, I didn't realize that so many Damien fans were 5 year olds.
JBTongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:04 PM   #161
ChrisKN
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTongue
Its crazy, I didn't realize that so many Damien fans were 5 year olds.
Keyboard warrior.
ChrisKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #162
World Cafe
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Aoife~
Hi guys,

I'm disappointed to come back after being away to this official statement. The brevity of it and the language... I don't know, it just seems a little cold. Just my opinion obviously. I know some will say that its typical of these kind of things. I just think it would be very unfortunate if it all ended on bad terms.

Aoife
Actually... the sharp edge of the language is *not* "typical" of public announcements like this. It could be seen as a strength and/or a weakness that Damien allowed so much... displeasure... to show in that statement (on the one hand, it's certainly very honest... on the other, it makes him look kinda like a jerk, in my opinion). But most public statements like this try hard *not* to show animosity or hard feelings.

Most fans I know agree, the tone of the news was as much a suprise as the news itself that Lisa was gone.
World Cafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #163
buddy
Eskimo Regular

i wasn't sure how i felt about this news, so i've waited to comment until now.

obviously it sucks that they won't be together anymore. i'm most upset that i haven't seen them perform together, and now won't get the chance to (despite a minimum of three shows this upcoming tour).

there's no doubt that lisa, with her voice and (lets be honest) her looks, is going to be hugely successful on her own.

i think damien's going to go through a really raw and edgy phase, which suits him very well. i can see songs like fool and insane showing up on the next album.

plus, now we have the reunion to look forward to. :-)

buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #164
MertWindu
Horrible Timing Eskimo

Damn, I just went to the DR.com site, and the squiggly drawing of Lisa still stands there next to the squiggly drawing of Damien. Now that's bittersweet.
MertWindu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:14 PM   #165
Ewwa
Eskimo Regular

She is still listed as a band member on the DR myspace.....
Ewwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:15 PM   #166
sandbuggs
Eskimo Baby

hey, sorry if this is a dumb question, but does this mean no more "i remember"?
sandbuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #167
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbuggs
hey, sorry if this is a dumb question, but does this mean no more "i remember"?
Not like this, I suppose, which is a bloody shame:

But Damien played it all the time at and after (as far as I kow) Munich , so it will hopefully stay on the setlists.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:37 PM   #168
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Not like this, I suppose, which is a bloody shame:

But Damien played it all the time at and after (as far as I kow) Munich , so it will hopefully stay on the setlists.
He's been playing it, and imo it still sounds f***ing incredible.
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:02 AM
FireDancer79
This message has been deleted by FireDancer79.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:19 AM   #169
FightthegdFight
Eskimo Regular

Default SD Update

A little update from after the San Diego Gig.

Damien stuck around after the gig in San Diego to a crowd of about 10-12 fans. One of the questions asked was "Where's Lisa"

He replied "Back at home writing and recording." There didn't appear to be any friction or bitterness. It was just an honest answer. Just thought that there should be an update. I don't mean to stir anything.