Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 03-09-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
I'm So Childish
I reall am childish

Default Champions League Quarterfinal Draw

What does everyone think of the draw and who do you think will claim the Cup. I have to say I was a little surprised and disappointed by the performances by Real and Baraca in the Round of 16. But looking at the draw now:

Chelsea v Valencia
Liverpool v PSV
Manchester United v Roma
Bayern Munich v AC Milan

My teams to go through are ManU, Bayern, Liverpool, and Valencia. Right now I really like Liverpool to take the Cup, just a feeling right now. I think they will have an easy time with PSV and just have a good feeling about them.
I'm So Childish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
administrator
forum administrator

they're all interesting games... i think that liverpool will be happy to get PSV, but I can't see them getting past the semi final... (hope i'm wrong though!)... i wasn't impressed with Milan against Celtic, but I think they should beat Munich... i think the winner will be either Valencia or Manchester United...

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
Ships_Were_Sailin
Eskimo Regular

we usually come good agaisnt all odds, and we have a tendency to throw away victories agaisnt the teams that we should put away. so i hope we dont underestimate PSV

we'll have it this year, there isnt any team that we cant put away at anfield, and a good set of a away performances will be the key

btw im a liverpool fan :P

Yet i keep going to where it seems i'm meant to go
Ships_Were_Sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
I'm So Childish
I reall am childish

Well what do I say? 1st 2 games are in the books and nothing too shocking with PSV and Liverpool although I thought Liverpool had their heads in the ground the first 25 mins or so. PSV had pretty good run of things getting a few solid chances but mainly with a non existent forward line and the midfield content on defense, I would say PSv had it in Liverpools end much of that time. Defense was stout though. 1st goal was fantastic. Loved how the other Liverpool player deferred to Gerrard for a well placed header. Riise's goal was probably the best of all three. I though Crouch had been pretty silent up until his goal...eqaul parts his own doing and referee's calls. Now they will coast at Anfield.
Now with regards to Milan and Bayern. I had not followed the supposed history between Russian/Soviet referees and German teams so I did not know what the English speaking announcers were referencing when they talked of past injustices. Assuming that what they said was true, the call against Lucio was absolute rubbish! I would have been incensed with that man over such a call late in a game. He appeared to be in horrible position to make that call and I hope he receives reprimand by UEFA. I admittingly had no real rooting interest in the game, although I do not care for Italian soccer teams as a whole, but once that call was made I found myself rooting intently for Bayern. It was good to see them exact revenge for a bad call and draw even and put them in prime poision to move on. No Kahn and Van Bommel, although I think Van Bommel is very overrrated. The rookie goal keeper played very well stoppin Gilardino's point blank shot and the two goals were well unstoppable. I absolutley despise Andrea Pirlo, but his goal and play were a thing of beauty. He always seems to play under complete control. I think Bayern gets the result they need when they go back home.

Last edited by I'm So Childish; 04-04-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:05 PM   #5
cestoz
Eskimo Regular

the german/russian official (a linesman) bit is because in 1966 england won the world cup, im guessing you live in england but are not english, so you must have heard about the english going on about it so often, last night a case in point. the russian linesman said the shot from the english striker had bounced over the line after it hit the bar, with the game at two two. the ball was at least six inches short and so should not have been a goal. england went onto win the world cup thanks to this decision.
as for the game last night, i actually complimented the referee on his performance as he did not give frequent free kicks for silly fouls when thwe players dive very easily. however as soon as i said that he gave the penalty to A.C. i also thought it was a foul by the german climbing over the milan defender for the second equaliser, but this was not given and the goal stood, its hard to say if this was justice or not as both teams can feel aggrieved about certain decisions. i think munich will advance now, A.C without Gilardino in the second leg too, even though he couldnt hit a cows arse with a banjo last night...

i hope chelsea and Roma win tonight.

oh, and i stood infront of the UEFA cup yesterday, it was nice. and shiny too. :-)
Old 04-04-2007, 03:26 PM   #6
I'm So Childish
I reall am childish

I do agree with you that he did well not to call many minor offenses, and that is why it was so shocking to me that he would make such a call. Had Kaka been alone on the keeper, then maybe i see it but he had maybe half a step on Lucio and was to the left side of the box. As far as Bayern's goal are concerned. I felt possibly in both instances there could have been fouls called had the game as a whole been called tighter. Pizarro made quite the awkward challenge that led to the first goal and yes I don't recall who came over the back of the Milan defender, but that could have called as well. There were no real fierce chllenges by the Milan defense over either call so i took it as fair play. The refereees performace was well done excpet fo the inconsistency with that one call. Even a few minutes after that Kaka takes a clear dive by the end line in hopes of drawing a call and the referee waved play on. That PK just did not make sense and it didn't help that to some there is history between Gemans and referees from this country. A few hours til the start. I root for Valencia and Manchester United.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:03 PM   #7
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

No, Bayern had the same referee a couple of months/years ago in a Champions League match and he did an absolute crap job. The Bayern officials had doubts about him before the game, and they were right, judging his mistake with the penalty yesterday. At least Bayern drawed.
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #8
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

even tho it kills me to say it i can see liverpool being the hardest team to beat. Nobody else has looked that impressive so its wide open really.
My tips lyon buckled in the last round. roma look good but i think manure will beat them at home.
lets just hope cheatski get beaten by valencia now

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:16 PM   #9
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

man united winning 7-1 last night was a complete shock.
hopefully liverpoo dont have the same luck tonight, tho they wont lose 4-0 and get knocked out

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #10
Gibbo
Happy thoughts :-)

Man U v Liverpool final.......what a game......only the small semi game involving the struggling italian side.............what could possibly go wrong????
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote