Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 02-02-2005, 12:25 AM   #1
me_arv
Eskimo Baby

hey - we gota pic of damien's recent set-up here:

http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/f....asp?TID=3448& amp;PN=1&TPN=2

thing is a bought a fishman blender (magnetic pick-up and mic) to replace my rubbish piezio one and just fitted it today and plugged it inthrough my distortion pedal and i leterallycan't touch the distortion without a hell of alot of feedback...

how does damien escape this? i dont think i've ever heard his stuff feedback?

any help most appreciated!

Matt
Old 02-02-2005, 02:31 AM   #2
mariodiclerico
Eskimo Friend

Damien has a ton of feedback when he starts looping. But I have a few thoughts. Perhaps he runs the distortion after the amp? (As a matter of fact, I think thatwhen he does stuff like Tongue or WLAM Jonathonturns on an effect from the console.)

Would the Boss NS-2 help the problem? Edited by: mariodiclerico
mariodiclerico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:12 AM   #3
me_arv
Eskimo Baby

hisfeedback is controlled 'nice' feedback tho, not just a horrible raw from the amp (which is a trace elliot acoustic amp)...
Old 02-02-2005, 03:29 PM   #4
WahooRye
Eskimo Baby

I am just...just just just...starting out playing guitar, but the instrument fascinates me. I am not too familiar with "looping." Can someone please tell me all about this. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2005, 04:55 PM   #5
coreybyrnes
eskiphotographer

looping = (loose definition) the art of layering sounds on the fly via a pedal or rack system with foot controller; the user can set the module to start recording the first layer by pressing the record button with their foot and by pressing the stop button to signal the end of the loop. it is then possible to record more loops on top of the original loop and all other loops recorded thereafter

keeping on topic though.... he places his amp pretty far away from himself and this would definitely help the feedback issue....

Old 02-02-2005, 05:28 PM   #6
Bumpman

Even so, when they play in small venues (like whelan's) he has to be close to his amp, it's possible that he uses a smaller setup for smaller venues but i doubt it...

after all he did study engineering in trinity, i'll bet that between himself and jonothan, they know how to make a mic-pickup not feed back.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:01 PM   #7
WahooRye
Eskimo Baby

thanks for the info Corey. I remember this Christmas I was downtown at a shopping open house. One of the shops has a guy singing Christmas songs with an acoustic. I was watching him and he stopped playing, but the music kept going and I was like what in the world? He's not really playing? (sorry, I'm obviously not too bright). Anyway, I heard his buddy saying something about him just having got this looping machine. Thanks for helping shed some light.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:24 PM   #8
mariodiclerico
Eskimo Friend

I know he has controlled feedback, but Im saying he also often has bad overwhelming feedback. I was at a show where people covered their ears b/c of feedback. I was just listening to something the other day, I think it was 4-15-04, and the end of WLAM his guitar let out this horrendous screech.

He's far from the amp, but Im saying maybe he runs through the amp, then back to the pedals? So that the effects kick in after the amp and before the board?
mariodiclerico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:33 AM   #9
me_arv
Eskimo Baby

thats an idea actually, and then the amp on stage (ie. his guitar monitor) has no effects, just guitar... , it runs back, through effects and di''d to pa... which is in front of him (obviously helps) does have all the effects on it yeah?! is that maybe why he stands so far back on the stage then?!?!?

bet someone replies with a 'but i saw him in a bar with another man anda dog... and he only had the one amp with him and there was no pa'

anymore ideas? how do the tribute guys deal with the problem??

I should say really, cos i haven't done anyself-promotion on the forum yet but my band 'M-80' have damien's live set up ie. guy, girl, cello, acoustic,bass & drums... we've been playing in and around London with good reviews for about a year now so if anyones around and fancies checking us out that'd be nice, next gigs not till March 16th tho.

website is www.M-80.co.uk anyway!! theres MP3s biog pics and stuff on there.

yeah, sorry! feedback...