Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 03-01-2007, 12:14 AM   #1
I'm So Childish
I reall am childish

Default Pictures of you and Damien

So I looked around and saw plenty of people talking about this topic in so many words but no real centralized spot where we could share our photos of us with Damien. Anyone can copy a glossed over photo of him they got from a magazine or the internet and all of the photos of him on stage sometimes tend to get old. I want to see photos when he is not his best and not on stage and not all gussied up by fancy lighting and a swarm of make up artists from Rolling Stone who went to town on him. Also if anyone has photos of you with Viv, Shane, Tomo, or Lisa I would love it if you would share them and tell the story behind them if there is one. To put my money where my mouth is I will show the eskimo world my face and my photos but first the 1 cent tour of how I came about to know of one Damien Rice..indulge me..

My friend Kate (Thank you Kate) was in the middle of a study abroad program in the fall of 2003 when I email to see how she is doing. Well she said as she had just told me that days before she had seen Damien Rice a few days before at the Sirius Arts Centre. I did not know of eskimofriends.com nor of damienrice.com and as a matter fo fact the first site I fell upon was his UK website that was awesome before they had to take down all their music. Regardless I went to see a few months later in Detroit, I live in Ohio and saw him at a place called Small's and it just that small. "O" hadn't even been released yet and he played in front of about 30 people. He played around 16 songs that night and after about 5 or six he just asked all of us what we wanted to hear and took requests. I didn't think of bringing a camera or anything because all I heard up to that point was "Blower's Daughter" and was 50/50 on that song at best. Needless to say I left the show feeling very good about him and grateful to my friend for making me aware of him. I have gone on to see him 6 more times but have missed him in recent times. It saddens me to hear that he isn't as accessible as he used to be but that must just be part of the deal. From Small's to St. Andrews and now to The State Theatre, no one could keep him in a box. I will celebrate my 4 year anniversary in May 2007. I am greatful to have met him and the band (except for Tomo, never formally introduced myself but I sat by him at the bar of the BW3's in Cleveland) and hope others have had similar experiences.

Just as a side note Viv is an amazing person, full of exploration and taking in the cities she visits. Shane is a kind man who would probably be great to have as a best friend. Very kind and Lisa, well I felt that Lisa only pulled out that voice when she was on stage but its hers and its always hers. Anyway, I hope other people put their pictures up to share with me and others and if this a duplicate of another post, admin. please place it where it should go.

Anyway here are a few of my memories...
Toronto @ El Mocambo. I am 5'8" so he is around there. He was nasty sweaty as that club was packed and there poor venhilation. Viv did Purple Haze and his first encore song was my namesake. Pedestrian was the opener and Damo, Viv, and Lisa "sat" (yes the crowd sat for them on a bar floor) and listened to them the entire set. I was at the end of the line to talk to him and left Toronto around 12:45am. I had an exam the next day in Ohio @ 9:45am and drove all the way back (6 hr drive) sleeping 1/2 hr. here and there at truck stops. I was stopped at the border b/c the US Border Patrol didn't believe I would make it there and back in 15 hrs but more b/c it was on the 9/11 anniversary and thought something was up. Great time but nearly killed myself and others on the road heading home. 9/11/2003

Cleveland @ The Odeon. I bothered him at the most inopportune time for the both of us. He was doing soundcheck which he most graciously allowed me and my friend listen in on afther this picture, but you can almost make out a sandwich at the bottom of the photo. Yeah well its an egg sandwich and it smelled horrible. I hate eggs and actually if you look close you can see his cheeks are full well we got him in mid chew and we both apologized to each other for that. This was the first time I saw The Frames and I will always remember "God Bless Mom"

This is Lisa and Shane. First time meeting Lisa I think she was doing a movie during the last NA tour when I caught them in Toronto, but she was a sight and smelled great too. Shane is a nice guy. Quick to say yes to the photo op. He looked like he could be the "muscle" for an Irish gang.

Anyway this post is way too long I know, but I just wanted to share. Hope you don't mind and more so, I hope to see others share their moments with Damien and the band with me. I know these moments are getting more difficult by the day.

Last edited by I'm So Childish; 03-01-2007 at 04:00 PM.
I'm So Childish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:45 AM   #2
unspokenxtruth
vegetarian eskimo

great pictures, i dont have any, but thanks for sharing ur experience
unspokenxtruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:15 AM   #3
Shahar
Cheers Darling.

I want pictures with Damien too

Good pictures!
Old 03-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
verenita
... trusty and true ...

damien, don´t you ever come to argentina... cause i´ll have to kidnap you!, he he...

sorry, but it´s all i can say after to see this pictures, wich are great, by the way...

thanks for sahring, childish!

verenita
Old 03-01-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
Dangana
Eskimo Friend

I hope I can get a picture with Damo soon. I'm going to two concerts in May =) It really sucks that I have finals all that week but I'd drop anything to see Damien.
Dangana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
Nine
Inuit

i've got one, but I look feckin' awful so there will be no posting!
x
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #7
ZachC
Eskimo Regular

i wish i had a couple of pictures of damien ... i could of when i saw him last time but i didnt want to bug him and just asked for a signature so that was enough for me

Visit me and my band at www.myspace.com/zcraftmusic
ZachC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:16 PM   #8
I'm So Childish
I reall am childish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
i've got one, but I look feckin' awful so there will be no posting!
x
And I am supposed to particulary proud of my look? Trust me I had no idea I would be sharing these photos with the DR world when they were taken, I Just want to see other people's moments with him/them. I hope this doesn't turn into "The story of me" post and that others do actually post their photos here so I can enjoy them.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:25 PM   #9
Topspin047
tennis pro

i tried to sneak one in when i met him, but my camera decided to be gay and made the picture blurry

maybe next time...
Old 03-02-2007, 12:59 AM   #10
Nine
Inuit

alright alright......
but it's only little....

Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:03 AM   #11
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin047
i tried to sneak one in when i met him, but my camera decided to be gay and made the picture blurry

maybe next time...
Could you please refrain from ignorant, homophobic comments like that? I don't care how popular it is w/ kids today to say it's just straight up offensive.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #12
I'm So Childish
I reall am childish

Thank you Nine for answering the call. I don't feel so alone out here in cyberspace anymore.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #13
Topspin047
tennis pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
Could you please refrain from ignorant, homophobic comments like that? I don't care how popular it is w/ kids today to say it's just straight up offensive.

sorry. my bad.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #14
G2020
Eskimo Hunter

Default my contibution

This is the only time ive met him, thats me on the right!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 394981637a1946615556b686559295l.jpg (24.1 KB, 811 views)
Old 03-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #15
I'm So Childish
I reall am childish

Can yo share some quick background on it? It looks a like a very casual picture, very good one.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #16
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Looks like it could have been taken at the Electic Picnic.
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #17
Constanze
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
alright alright......
but it's only little....

cool
Old 03-03-2007, 08:11 PM   #18
ZachC
Eskimo Regular

damien looks halfway evil in that second photo
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm So Childish
So I looked around and saw plenty of people talking about this topic in so many words but no real centralized spot where we could share our photos of us with Damien. Anyone can copy a glossed over photo of him they got from a magazine or the internet and all of the photos of him on stage sometimes tend to get old. I want to see photos when he is not his best and not on stage and not all gussied up by fancy lighting and a swarm of make up artists from Rolling Stone who went to town on him. Also if anyone has photos of you with Viv, Shane, Tomo, or Lisa I would love it if you would share them and tell the story behind them if there is one. To put my money where my mouth is I will show the eskimo world my face and my photos but first the 1 cent tour of how I came about to know of one Damien Rice..indulge me..

My friend Kate (Thank you Kate) was in the middle of a study abroad program in the fall of 2003 when I email to see how she is doing. Well she said as she had just told me that days before she had seen Damien Rice a few days before at the Sirius Arts Centre. I did not know of eskimofriends.com nor of damienrice.com and as a matter fo fact the first site I fell upon was his UK website that was awesome before they had to take down all their music. Regardless I went to see a few months later in Detroit, I live in Ohio and saw him at a place called Small's and it just that small. "O" hadn't even been released yet and he played in front of about 30 people. He played around 16 songs that night and after about 5 or six he just asked all of us what we wanted to hear and took requests. I didn't think of bringing a camera or anything because all I heard up to that point was "Blower's Daughter" and was 50/50 on that song at best. Needless to say I left the show feeling very good about him and grateful to my friend for making me aware of him. I have gone on to see him 6 more times but have missed him in recent times. It saddens me to hear that he isn't as accessible as he used to be but that must just be part of the deal. From Small's to St. Andrews and now to The State Theatre, no one could keep him in a box. I will celebrate my 4 year anniversary in May 2007. I am greatful to have met him and the band (except for Tomo, never formally introduced myself but I sat by him at the bar of the BW3's in Cleveland) and hope others have had similar experiences.

Just as a side note Viv is an amazing person, full of exploration and taking in the cities she visits. Shane is a kind man who would probably be great to have as a best friend. Very kind and Lisa, well I felt that Lisa only pulled out that voice when she was on stage but its hers and its always hers. Anyway, I hope other people put their pictures up to share with me and others and if this a duplicate of another post, admin. please place it where it should go.

Anyway here are a few of my memories...
Toronto @ El Mocambo. I am 5'8" so he is around there. He was nasty sweaty as that club was packed and there poor venhilation. Viv did Purple Haze and his first encore song was my namesake. Pedestrian was the opener and Damo, Viv, and Lisa "sat" (yes the crowd sat for them on a bar floor) and listened to them the entire set. I was at the end of the line to talk to him and left Toronto around 12:45am. I had an exam the next day in Ohio @ 9:45am and drove all the way back (6 hr drive) sleeping 1/2 hr. here and there at truck stops. I was stopped at the border b/c the US Border Patrol didn't believe I would make it there and back in 15 hrs but more b/c it was on the 9/11 anniversary and thought something was up. Great time but nearly killed myself and others on the road heading home. 9/11/2003

Cleveland @ The Odeon. I bothered him at the most inopportune time for the both of us. He was doing soundcheck which he most graciously allowed me and my friend listen in on afther this picture, but you can almost make out a sandwich at the bottom of the photo. Yeah well its an egg sandwich and it smelled horrible. I hate eggs and actually if you look close you can see his cheeks are full well we got him in mid chew and we both apologized to each other for that. This was the first time I saw The Frames and I will always remember "God Bless Mom"

This is Lisa and Shane. First time meeting Lisa I think she was doing a movie during the last NA tour when I caught them in Toronto, but she was a sight and smelled great too. Shane is a nice guy. Quick to say yes to the photo op. He looked like he could be the "muscle" for an Irish gang.

Anyway this post is way too long I know, but I just wanted to share. Hope you don't mind and more so, I hope to see others share their moments with Damien and the band with me. I know these moments are getting more difficult by the day.

Visit me and my band at www.myspace.com/zcraftmusic
ZachC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #19
G2020
Eskimo Hunter

Default Yes

Yeah it was taken at the electric picnic........we were all sat watching Paul Noonan when my eagle eyed friend spotted Damien strolling right past us. He seemed nice and let us get a "quick" picture with him, it didnt seem like he wanted to be bothered by everybody.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:22 PM   #20
hyacinth
Eskimo Friend

It's great that some of you got to meet him and the band.
hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 04:42 AM   #21
krishay
Eskimo Baby

Default damien pictures

i met Damien in saratoga,california last summer. it was an amazing night.
it was great to meet him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1904.jpg (17.8 KB, 450 views)
krishay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #22
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

I too had the first of many meetings with Damo after the phenomenal Odeon show in my hometown of Cleveland. I have pics of me and Lisa from this fall too but can't seem to get the program to work to transfer them from my phone.

My lovely ex is on the end there.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #23
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

does he still take pictures with people at all? i mean, should i even ask?

http://thatgirlwiththefreckles.blogspot.com/
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #24
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

No harm in asking, I suppose. Sometimes he doesn't want to be that guy though... which is fair enough really.
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #25
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

yeah of course, i guess i just dont want to be annoying

http://thatgirlwiththefreckles.blogspot.com/
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:48 PM   #26
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
My lovely ex is on the end there.

You mean Mr. T ?
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:22 PM   #27
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeé
You mean Mr. T ?
No, not my lovely "T" my lovely "X".

Those are two entirely separate letters.

Not to mention that anyone who's at the center isn't on the end either.

Boy, aincha never had none of dat dere book learnin'?

Fine. I'll make it clearer for ya: my ex is the one on your left with the shaved head. My nickname used to be "The Blower's Daughter". My dear ol' Ma was a very popular woman in the village. Gotta say though, had I known how hot Damo was under all that facial hair I'd have dumped my ex in favor of that tasty piece of man candy on your right. He really does look quite fetching in drag, non?
Old 03-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #28
theecitychick
Eskimo Friend

WELL WELL WELL as some of u may know damien did not take a picture with me at the Beacon thatre event but i did get a hug so stop taunting me with these pictures please!
theecitychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #29
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
No, not my lovely "T" my lovely "X".

Those are two entirely separate letters.

Not to mention that anyone who's at the center isn't on the end either.

Boy, aincha never had none of dat dere book learnin'?

Fine. I'll make it clearer for ya: my ex is the one on your left with the shaved head. My nickname used to be "The Blower's Daughter". My dear ol' Ma was a very popular woman in the village. Gotta say though, had I known how hot Damo was under all that facial hair I'd have dumped my ex in favor of that tasty piece of man candy on your right. He really does look quite fetching in drag, non?
you witty, witty man.
I was merely pointing out your infatuation with Mr. T, disregarding the context I read of course.

Kudos to the dialect empathy "dat dere book learnin'"...
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:21 PM   #30
Ships_Were_Sailin
Eskimo Regular

i think id be too afraid to ask for a pic seeing as how he doesnt like it and all, id probably jsut sneak on the tour bus and hang around for a year

Yet i keep going to where it seems i'm meant to go
Ships_Were_Sailin is offline   Reply With Quote