Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 03-12-2004, 01:53 AM   #1
Tomarse
Eskimo Regular

Now this is something I've been thinking about for a while. I've written my own music and have started writing the actual "songs" to go with them. Basically I want to sing them myself as they are my songs. I don't mean that to sound arrogant but it's my work. It's just I'm struggling with the singing part. Can anyone sing with practise and a bit of coaching or is it purely a "you have it or you don't" kind of thing? [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]What do you lot reckon? [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2004, 02:00 AM   #2
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Some people are born naturally good at singing while others have to develop the voice within them... anyone can sing a song with enough practise and effort... (unless of course ur stephen hawkings)

but my advise is to warm up your voice alot and keep trying high notes even if you cant make them as it is stretching the muscles in your vocal box and in time you will become better...

also try to practise singing from within and not using your voice... the sound should come from the diaphram (just below rib cage) so when you are singing try to hold your diaphram to see if you are using it correctly... and just practise practise practise

most of those techniques are for acting purposes but im sure they will work for singing also[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 02:16 AM   #3
Tomarse
Eskimo Regular

Thanks. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]I've also noticed that my singing varies a lot depending on my confidence at any given time. If I'm in the house and other people are about then it's a bit half hearted but when there's nobody there and I can belt one out then I become much more absorbed and it soundsA LOTbetter. I think I need to work on the confidence building side of it then (sorry, I'm kinda talking to myself here!).

As for the high notes. I generally find that I can hit them more acuratley than the rest! [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]Now this I really don't understand!
Old 03-12-2004, 02:24 AM   #4
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

yeah confidence has alot to do with it and singing alone is usually much better than in front of a crowd...but once your happy with your voice the confidence will build & so will your voice

as for hitting high notes better, that is a bit odd actually... probably a good thing in the long run if u can master bass notes better

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 02:30 AM   #5
Tomarse
Eskimo Regular

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a traditionally trained singer (and is now at the Brighton Institute of Modern Music) and she was telling me about how people have a chest voice and a head voice. Apparently the high notes come from your head voice. Perhaps I therefore need to develop my chest voice. Maybe warming up properly would help, like you suggested. I just find my chest voice to be a bit flat. It does improve if I'm singing for a while tho so perhaps that's the key. (Thinking out loud again [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img])
Old 03-12-2004, 08:28 AM   #6
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

Ooooooh I wrote the longest post ever and it got lost!! [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]I'll have to write it again when I get home I guess. [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:38 PM   #7
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Maybe its just a confidence thing/superstition but I find that when I drink a cup of coffee before I pick up the guitar my voice is better.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:18 PM   #8
Lemonhead
Eskimo Regular

i have no idea but just wanna say best of luck![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]i was watching a tv show a while ago thofollowing some guy who makes reeeally reeaaaly long 'talks' (i guess lectures) and he said the best way to keep your voice steady throughout is to go 'Mmmmmmmmmm' really deep for about 10 minutes before you start! umm... may be it's the same thing?![img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

have confidence dude! you rok![img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2004, 10:46 PM   #9
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

Ok, I hope this won't get lost in the depths of my stupid PC.

I intended a week of singing classes; and basically what the lady said, was that no one's a bad singer. Everybody can sing in tune with efforts and training. But some people are bad listeners/hearers...

I think that few people are born with talent, and I'd give anythg to be one of them, to be one of those singers whose voice stay in the listeners' ears for hours. But as it's not my case, all I can hope for is to sing in tune, and give emotion to my singing.

This is a bit hard for me, for a technical reason: my shift from chest to head voice is higher than the average, which basically means that I never sing in head voice. Also, it means that high notes that most girls can hit quite easily are hard for me because they're on the shift. I need to practise to bring that shift toa lower note.

Are you following me? [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]And this is not over...

I've started singing in a "band" (we only do covers, and not only songs I like... But it's better than nothing, and one has to start somewhere) 2 years ago, and at first my voice was almost inaudible, even through the mic. I was told about "the fear of the mic", but I truly believed I did my bestest, and that I could never do better. It was almost discouraging!

But now, 2 years later, I can hear the difference! And singing songs which didn't suit my -limited- range actually helped me to improve, by preventing me from being lazy.

So to answer your question, Tomarse, practising is important. Although if you weren't born a Lisa or a Jeff, there's no point hoping to become one...[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2004, 11:22 AM   #10
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia
[

So to answer your question, Tomarse, practising is important. Although if you weren't born a Lisa or a Jeff, there's no point hoping to become one...[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Lisa, in addition to natural talent also had years of classical singing training.
Old 03-13-2004, 02:05 PM   #11
Tomarse
Eskimo Regular

Wow, thanks for the all the advice and support!! (That doesn't mean that this is the end of this thread though [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img])
Old 03-13-2004, 08:17 PM   #12
megomoo
Eskimo Regular

i've had singing lessons for 3 years and it definately makes a difference, i recommend a good teacher!!
Old 03-20-2004, 10:17 PM   #13
somma
fisherman's woman

I trainsinging for 5 years now and I woud'nt be able to stop !

having a teacher and practise regularly helps to keep your voice in good health.classical singing is also very important to handle one's voice.I won 3-4 tons in 3 years and anyone can do it with a bit of training.

Even ifyou got a good voice at the basis, having a teacher helps to not get the voice tired (with is quite practical when you have to performe a 2hours show...[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]) and you always find something new to learn,you can always progress!

(I guess it's not clear, but my English is getting worse and worse..sorry..[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img])

Old 03-21-2004, 12:29 AM   #14
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

No your English is fine! I wish I had time and money to invest in singing lessons...
Old 03-21-2004, 11:37 AM   #15
somma
fisherman's woman

it's not expensive if you find a MJC which has a good singing teacher!

it's about 250 euros for one year...and it's an invesment!
Old 03-21-2004, 11:42 AM   #16
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

My MJC doesn't do singing classes [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

But I will, one day, start taking singing lessons...I swear! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]Just like I will start playing the guitar, start Swedish lessons again, start tango and salsa lessons... [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2004, 12:51 PM   #17
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

I sing but id love lessons just imagine if we all had the quality of Lisa's voice!!! MAGICAL!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 09:37 PM   #18
ali whitton
Eskimo Friend

3years ago i dropped outta uni with no idea what to do in life. i started writing songs but firmly believed that i couldn't sing them.it took huge amounts of torture to get me to even play them to anyone. i'm so glad i did. just don't ever hold back, close your eyes, imagine you're somewhere else, and let any apprehensions you have about singing justdisappear. there are very few people in the world that are tone deaf so odds are you can sing. i wish some one had told me this sooner. anyway, keep practising andalso ido recommend lessons cos they've been so helpful to me.

end of story is that now itis my aim to make a living from writing and singing... please check out: www.aliwhitton.co.uk and have a listen. i'llhopefully be gigging in ireland soon.

good luck with it all "tomarse"!
Old 03-23-2004, 04:55 AM   #19
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

Quote:

But I will, one day, start taking singing lessons...I swear! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]Just like I will start playing the guitar, start Swedish lessons again, start tango and salsa lessons... [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Yep, same here! One day I am going to learn how to sing well, learn how to play the piano and guitar, be able to do a jumpy spinny thing on ice skates, have a six packon my absand learn how to do a back handspring. [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2004, 04:56 AM   #20
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

just realized this may have been my first post ont he musicians forum, seeing as i dont do anything musical, well i dance but thats TO music, i never bothered... silly me! [img]smileys/smiley29.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2004, 07:49 AM   #21
Uno- X
Eskimo CSI

I used to sing in a choir for something like 3 or 4 years. i really could sing. *sigh* but now people just plug their ears when i start singing. O the world is so cruel.

Uno- X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 07:53 AM   #22
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

Really? My ex-step-dad used to tell me to stop singing, it "hurt his teeth"[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2004, 07:57 AM   #23
Uno- X
Eskimo CSI

really. don't worry one day we'll meet and I'll show ya my vocal abilities. [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

Old 03-24-2004, 07:58 AM   #24
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2004, 08:00 AM   #25
Uno- X
Eskimo CSI

or should I say disabilities?! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] I have a pretty low voice but I at least I've no probs with singing alnong Damo.

Old 03-24-2004, 04:48 PM   #26
somma
fisherman's woman

Quote:

apfff!!!they suck!but maybe your MJC will soon open a singing class with all these POp star and Star ac'! since last year, my MJC singing class is full of 12-year-girls who want to be the next "Jenifer"...[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

if some want to check what I am doing in music, you czn visit my band's website

Old 03-24-2004, 04:49 PM   #27
somma
fisherman's woman

Quote:

Old 03-24-2004, 04:53 PM   #28
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

Where can I find a link to your website?
Old 03-25-2004, 07:52 PM   #29
somma
fisherman's woman

on my profile! [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

www.esglow.fr.fm

[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2004, 07:54 PM   #30
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

Whats an MJC?