Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 04-18-2004, 02:38 AM   #1
Dangerouswilly
Eskimo Baby

I saw Damien perform "I Remember" live on Letterman and he used a side mic that gave his voice an effect does anyone know what kind of mic that was?
Dangerouswilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 07:06 PM   #2
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

In this dual microphone setup the second micis an oldtaped up dynamic patched through a distortion unit which I believe is the guitar pedal called The Rat made by ProCo. Hope this helps.

Edit: Welcome! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]Edited by: Magnus
Old 04-23-2004, 03:06 PM   #3
coreybyrnes
eskiphotographer

magnus... i always just assumed he used a pedal for his distorted vocals but then some people have been talking about wrapping that mic with plastic or something to create vibration? i don't know what it's all about but if it does the same thing i wanna know more about it and work on one of my own... anyone know about this "wrapping the mic to get the distorted vocal sound" concept?
Old 04-23-2004, 03:11 PM   #4
Scon
Eskimo Regular

Stretch a plastic bag and blow on it, noticing how it vibrates unusually. Sounds is just waves in the air as you know and getting the vocals to vibrate the plastic, which will then hit the coil inside the mic will sound quite distorted.
Scon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 03:39 PM   #5
coreybyrnes
eskiphotographer

hey scon... so how do you think he has his mic setup? it's longer than most mics... is it a shotgun mic? is it a sm57 witha tube attached to it with plastic lining the inside of that tube?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:32 PM   #6
TheNBT
Eskimo Baby

I was too far away from the stage to see what Damien had set up at the Detroit show. Is he using two line 6 pedals like Howie Day with one for the vocals and one for the guitar?

Also, I've seen Howie Day do the delay swirl with the line 6 and DD5 before; Damien also did the neat effect where you twirl the delay knobs and it creates an airplane like swoosh, but the deep bass of the sound was so loud it shook the audience's chest. Plus, he did it when a song had quieted down and the lights were only on a mirror ball. It was an astounding use of dynamics.

Anyone else see Damien do the swirl effect on the delay? How the hell did he get such a deep sound out of it? I'm assuming the subwoofers of the club were essential, but I was still surprised at how well placed and subtle it came into the song, which I have unforgotten the title, until the swirl was shaking.

Mike
Old 04-27-2004, 04:25 PM   #7
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

As far as I know, he is using only one Line 6 DL4, with both the guitar and the second vocal mic patched through. As for the second mic, I still think he uses the Rat for the distortion effect in addition to the "modified"mic.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:38 PM   #8
coreybyrnes
eskiphotographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus
As far as I know, he is using only one Line 6 DL4, with both the guitar and the second vocal mic patched through. As for the second mic, I still think he uses the Rat for the distortion effect in addition to the "modified"mic.

hey magnus... you're right brotha... he uses one dl4 and patches the vocals and his guitar into it... you're definitely right that he uses an effect pedal for his distortion mic too because if you watch some videos you can see him go to tap a pedal when going for the distortion mic... it solves the mystery of how he got such a "clean" distorted sound through the mic... i knew it couldn't just be some plastic causing that perfect distortion... i think the wrapping he has on there simply helps mend the feedback issues from using a omnidirectional mic instead of a unidirectional mic... if he wanted he could simply be using an sm57 without all that bundle... but i guess it looks a whole lot cooler and causes his musician fans to say "what the hell is that?"
Old 04-27-2004, 04:53 PM   #9
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreybyrnes
i think the wrapping he has on there simply helps mend the feedback issues from using a omnidirectional mic instead of a unidirectional mic... if he wanted he could simply be using an sm57 without all that bundle... but i guess it looks a whole lot cooler and causes his musician fans to say "what the hell is that?"

It looks cool. That is true. But I am quite sure it is a mic with a cardiode characteristicpattern. It would make no sense using a omnidirectional. He probably tried the thing out. Figured it needed more distortion and added the pedal. If he decided to keep the tape and plasticthing for the looks or the sound I have no opinion. It works and it looks cool, but I don't think it is for feedback purposes. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2004, 11:26 PM   #10
-oli
Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus

In this dual microphone setup the second micis an oldtaped up dynamic patched through a distortion unit which I believe is the guitar pedal called The Rat made by ProCo. Hope this helps.

HELPS??!

you told us EVERYTHING about it. you know so much. i shake your hand.