Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 11-27-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

Default Any piano players?

I really need some help! I'm learning to play the piano, all right, I know how to play it, but I don't have anything to play.. I've already learned the Damien songs that've been posted here, but now I need something a bit more challenging.. I'd really like to learn Karma Police by Radiohead, but I don't think there're any sheet music for it out there, at least not for the album version. Littlerowboat.com (which seems to have gone offline) had a duet, but as said, I can't get it..
So my question is: Is there anyone here who has any tips on where to begin, and perhaps some sheet music so I can play it? And if anyone just happens to have the Karma Police sheets, that would be even better.. Thanks!
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
Mr Benn.
Eskimo Regular

I'm not a pianist but I play guitar. Classical aswell as rock. I take it you can read stave notation? If not it's probably a good idea to start with that. You can get really basic, quite patronising books in any music shop and they'd possibly sell you a music book for something like radiohead aswell.

Even if you can read stave notation it's probably good to start with the basics and build your way up. I would go to a music shop and ask there what they recomended.
Should I wipe up the stain?
And if I'm low
Can I drown in this rain?
I guess I'm no good
I guess I'm insane
Mr Benn. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:42 AM   #3
liswyn
Eskimo Regular

That would depend on where you want to get in your playing and what stuff you are aiming to play. For pop music you can have a look at this site which has tons of free sheet music for download, as well as links to other sites. Also maybe play any little bits of classical and jazz stuff to improve on your technique and rhythm-that would make playing anything a lot easier. Learning a bit of basic music theory and harmonisation (you can get simple books from any music store) will help you learn to play by ear, which makes everything so much more convenient - no need for sheet music.
liswyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
rockthesmurf
Friend

Maybe i'll get a chance at some point to put some sheet music together for karma police, i don't know the piano 100% accurate to the note, more like 90-95%.

What sort of standard would you say you are, I might be able to recommend something that I've played over the years.

Stevo
xo
Old 11-28-2006, 02:07 PM   #5
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

I would really reccomend getting lessons up to about grade2, it'll help you progress to a point where you can teach yourself
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

Oh God.. What standard would I say I am? Well, since I've never taken any lessons, I can't say for sure, but I can read stave notations perfectly, and I think I can play anything, but it just takes me a really long time if it's a very complicated piece..
Old 11-28-2006, 04:57 PM   #7
Anja
Found a fairy in her room

here is a link for Karma Police. I dont know the song so i couldnt test the chords for you. Hope you can play chords if not id recommend to play something popular classic first. For example "La valse D'Amelie" from the fabulous world of Amelie. You can find it and more here . But you can also find out the chords yourself or well i do it like that, that if i have a melody in my head i go to the piano and just play the song cos after a while you know which chords go together. Dunno if that was helpful.... Good luck
Old 11-28-2006, 06:07 PM   #8
Rootless
Eskimo Baby

The problem with getting lessons is that its all classical and it doesn't sound like that is what you are looking to play. It might be worth investigating if there is someone in your local area who gives modern piano lessons. If you can read music its half the battle. I did up to grade 8 and quit before taking the exam. I rarely regret quitting at that stage, but it helped immensely when taking up other instruments.
Rootless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:34 PM   #9
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootless
The problem with getting lessons is that its all classical and it doesn't sound like that is what you are looking to play. It might be worth investigating if there is someone in your local area who gives modern piano lessons. If you can read music its half the battle. I did up to grade 8 and quit before taking the exam. I rarely regret quitting at that stage, but it helped immensely when taking up other instruments.
Taking lessons isn't all about doing work for the exam and taking it, it's about practicing and playing music you enjoy. I played a lot of "popular" songs in my lessons and then did the classical pieces for the exams. It really does help you and as you said it's helped me switch to the guitar.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:19 AM   #10
liswyn
Eskimo Regular

I agree... people tend to have this strange mentality that music lessons are just hours of mozart and other boring classical stuff, but that's not always true. However I think that you should always work on the harder (eg. classical and jazz) stuff during lessons, because that's the area where you'd need help from your teacher, etc. Then at home on your own you're free to play whatever you want. And piano lessons are extremely useful if you ever want to pick up other instruments- makes everything so much easier!

One thing I don't like about the piano, though is that it's too much of a 'solo' instrument. You hardly get the chance to play with other people, except for the occasional duet. Which is partly why I ended up learning the violin as well... and it's so much more fun (chamber music is sooo... good)! Cello is next on the list.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:52 PM   #11
Rootless
Eskimo Baby

I think the teacher you select is really important. If you get an old dear, she really isn't going to be aware of more modern stuff, whereas you are in with a better chance with a younger teacher IMO.

I don't know if it was just that my piano was well out of tune, but I always found with sheet music that when I played along with any song I was out a few keys. I didn't really have fun playing the piano either - maybe a little with Doors stuff and Tori Amos. I much prefer the geeetar.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:08 PM   #12
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

Umm.. Is there a website somewhere where I can see what each grade consists of, so I can put myself somewhere on the rankings, you know?
Old 12-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #13
liswyn
Eskimo Regular

I don't know if this is what you mean, but you can have a look at the ABRSM piano syllabus for grades 1 to 8 and the jazz piano syllabus.

Are there such things as grades for pop music studies?
Old 12-04-2006, 04:52 PM   #14
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

Exactly what I was looking for, actually.. thanks!
Old 12-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #15
liswyn
Eskimo Regular

You're welcome. Hope it helped.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:59 PM   #16
rockthesmurf
Friend

When I was at college I did a piano performance of 'Paranoid Android' (Radiohead song). It was inspired by a guy called Christopher O'Riley who did some Radiohead covers on the piano, but hadn't done Paranoid Android (at the time). Unforunately I don't have sheet music for it, it took so long to work out that I ended up knowing it off the top of my head. Bit unforunate now because I can't remember exactly how it all went, so it changes everytime, which isn't an overly bad thing. The rendition I did was more on the advanced side, around grade 7-8 level, so maybe not what you are looking for at the moment, but possibly you could make up your own rendition (I mention it because you mentioned Karma Police, another Radiohead song).

If you are interested I could record some sort of version of Paranoid Android that I play, and maybe transcribe the main melody and rough chord stuctures?

Steve
xo
Old 12-05-2006, 01:30 PM   #17
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

That would be awesome!
You're probably right :P I locked at the syllabus and I'm nowhere near grade eight.. The downside to teaching yourself is that you never get the "proper" techniques, you just sort of jump straight in without learning the scales.. But Iäm slowly getting there, I hope...
Old 12-07-2006, 11:37 AM   #18
Bowe
Eskimo Baby

u shud learn stairway to heaven.... Tis piss easy on the piano
Bowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:57 PM   #19
Rootless
Eskimo Baby

Also Riders on the storm
Old 12-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #20
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Chopsticks!
Old 12-07-2006, 08:46 PM   #21
Bumpman

Emelie, I could get you the sheet music for Karma Police, it might take a week or two, but I could email them to you or something.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #22
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

Oh man.. That would be too kind! I could pm you my email if you want, I'm not sure if it shows up on my profile...
What's with all these talented people anyway!? Geez ^^ I'm thinking of transcribing my first song this weekend... We'll see how that goes. I'm gonna try Vyvienne's version of Yoshimi... Shouldn't be too hard, I hope!
Old 12-08-2006, 09:10 PM   #23
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emelie
Oh man.. That would be too kind! I could pm you my email if you want, I'm not sure if it shows up on my profile...
What's with all these talented people anyway!? Geez ^^ I'm thinking of transcribing my first song this weekend... We'll see how that goes. I'm gonna try Vyvienne's version of Yoshimi... Shouldn't be too hard, I hope!
Yeah it's easy. No nasty chords in there It's quite a fun song to play to friends too!
Old 12-09-2006, 12:23 AM   #24
Bumpman

Well I don't have Radiohead's sheet music. It's Chris O Riley's... If you don't know his work, he divides his time between playing Radiohead and Elliott Smith songs on the piano. It's really quite impressive to hear. I'll send you an mp3 if you'd like to have a listen, I don't have a scanner, so I'll have to get my hands on a digital camera before I can email you the sheet music though.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:08 PM   #25
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

Hey, maybe this is a stupid question, but when I try to play something by ear, I don't find it very hard to play the higher notes. But when I try to distinguish the lower notes, well it's darn hard! Is there something I could do to make this easier, or do I just have to guess?
Old 12-09-2006, 11:40 PM   #26
Timeé
Intello

every time you find you can play something in the higher notes, try and play it in the lower notes until you can play it in the lower notes. eventually you'll improve.
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:12 PM   #27
liswyn
Eskimo Regular

That's a problem I struggle with too - making out the bass parts in music. This is because for the human ear it's always easier to make out higher sounds than lower sounds, and therefore the lower notes are 'drowned out' when played together with the higher notes. It just takes a lot of practice, and even now I sometimes get so frustrated with that, especially since in the higher grade music exams, candidates are supposed to listen to a short extract of music and then sing back only the bass (my personal nightmare!) I guess the only way to get over the problem is just to practise lots, and try singing/making up the lower part when listening to music.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:33 PM   #28
CoconutSkins
Eskimo Baby

I have Karma Police, but I don't have it on my computer..