Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 09-23-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
thismalewhoisafly
Eskimo Friend

Default I have to buy a new guitar...

I hope this is the right place to post this kind of thread...
I have to buy a new guitar, and i'd like to know what you think about the ones I have taken my eyes on.
First of all I must say that I've been playing for some years, but I'm not a great player or an expert, I just play because I have fun doing it, and because i like to cover some of my favourite songs.
According to the kind of music I listen to most, I decided to go for an electro-acoustic one, but I don't mean to spend a fortune for that, since as I said I only play for fun.
These are the three candidates for now, I'd like you to tell me if you know them, if you've had the chance to play them, or if you can just give me some more detailed description of them, since the ones you can find around on the net are quite poor...
If you have some suggestions for other models let me know, just keep in mind that I don't mean to spend more than 300euros and that I'm going to play it mostly without amplifying it.
So, let's go straight to the point.

1. Yamaha APX 500 Oriental Blue Burst
http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schm...ducts_id=18287

2. Takamine EG 260 Wine Red
http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schm...ducts_id=19305

3. Ibanez AEL 20 E Black Cherry Sunburst
http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schm...ducts_id=16133

I'm sorry for the German links, but that site is the only one where I've found some close up pictures of the guitars...
You can easily find english description with a search engine... except for the takamine, maybe, since I've only found german descriptions for that one.
I hope to hear lots of opinions, thanks in advance to whoever will reply this thread!
byebye
thismalewhoisafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:12 PM   #2
Timeé
Intello

i dont like Takamines. theyre too feckin technichael. i dont like either of those 3 brands sorry im honest!!
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #3
thismalewhoisafly
Eskimo Friend

Smile

Thanks for the prompt reply, and that's not a problem if you don't like them, since I'm not the one who makes them :-P
But could you please tell me why you don't like them, if you've played them and got a bad feeling or what else...
Oh, if you have some other brand to suggest it'd be appreciated
Thank you

Last edited by thismalewhoisafly; 09-23-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:24 PM   #4
Rogue
Eskimo Baby

well ... if you've got 300 euros to spend, i'd narrow the selection down to guitars with a solid/massive guitar top... the top is what vibrates most, if you pick/strum strings ... hence, the better its quality, the fuller and richer's the sound you'll get ... massive tops resonate better than standard ones ... now notice that none of the guitars you are looking at have a massive top .. some in this price segment do, other's don't ... keep an eye out for that..

now i happen to live near the store of that website you referred to .. it's one of the biggest stores for instruments in all europe ... thousands of guitars in a room as big as your average gym ... that store's got their own guitar brand ... redwood ... i've recently been there to pick out a new guitar myself .... played a bunch of guitars and ended up with a redwood d-2 black ce (399 €)... brilliant sound and it's a bit more exclusive than the standard models by the big manufacturers ... but, honestly .. you shouldn' rely on other people's opinions when buying an instrument ... if i were you ... i'd look up the biggest guitar store you can find where you live ... take lots of time ... go there and play everything they have in your price segment ... and pick whatever feels good... you'll know when you've got the right guitar in your hands .. i did

Last edited by Rogue; 09-23-2006 at 11:45 PM.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:30 PM   #5
Bumpman

Buy a solid top guitar, they improve with age, and they're the only kind of guitar that does.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:44 PM   #6
Fool
Eskimo Fool

I'm not sure about the models you've listed there, but I'll offer you this little bit of advice.

I've recently bought a new Takamine, with a takamine pickup fitted. Before I had an electro-acoustic with a preamp rather than pickup and I hated plugging it in because it didn't sound very acoustic. I put this down to it being a cheap guitar/preamp. I later tried a couple of very expensive Electro-acoustics, again with preamps not pickups. One was a £1400 Takamine. In my opinion it still sounded nothing like an acoustic guitar when plugged in.

Then I was shown the pickups. The takamine pickup and a non takamine (can't remember the make now) that was a bit more expensive. When plugged in it gives a much more real acoustic sound. It's also dynamically much more versatile. It really picks up exactly how you play. Now I actually want to plug my guitar in, as it sounds so nice! You also say you only play for fun, but surely it's more fun if it sounds better?

So yeah, what I'm basically saying is maybe it'd be worth your while to go to some music shops and try some standard acoustics and try and find something nice, then look into getting one of the above pickups put on the guitar for you to hear. I understand you said you won't be plugging it in most of the time, but if you're like me, you might find yourself wanting to plug it in. The preamps would just put me off plugging it in.

Also, regardless of all that, the only real way for you to find out which of the guitars listed you want is to go to a shop and play them. A perfect example already is that Timeé doesn't like Takamines, whereas apart from a few that I've played, they've always been better for me than other guitars in the same price bracket.

It's a decision for you to make.

Now will you take the red pill, or the blue pill? Or in this case maybe the green one?

p.s. Apologies if I've waffled here, I only got 2 and a half hours sleep last night and it's very late now.
Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:20 AM   #7
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismalewhoisafly
Thanks for the prompt reply, and that's not a problem if you don't like them, since I'm not the one who makes them :-P
But could you please tell me why you don't like them, if you've played them and got a bad feeling or what else...
Oh, if you have some other brand to suggest it'd be appreciated
Thank you
the reason i dont like takamines is because they dont... sound like a real guitar. it sounds quite... over-perfected and i just dont know it sounds harsh and not warm which is what i look for in a guitar...

well to emphasise how i dont like them i played some Standard Electro Acoustic Takamine which cost around £1500 and i actually prefer my own guitar to it. i own some crappy Vantage acoustic which costs around €100 and i absolutely love it if you wanted to hear it go to
http://boyletimmy1.bebo.com and click play on the professor.

well... €300 is a good target because you could get a guitar which costs twice that price but sounds the same.

brands that come to mind would be...
Lesser know names: Fylde, Grammer, Springhill-(Fender), Mossman pre-'76, Weymann, Marwin, National, Vega, Washburn (30s and 40s)

Better known: Guild, Epiphone or Epi - archtops, Kay archtops, Gretsch, Yamaha LL series, Gibson, Takamine - (high end only), Alvarez - (high end only)

Well known (and hard to find a bargain): Martin, Taylor

High end but sometimes a good deal: Everett, C. Fox, Froggy Bottom, Lowden, Huss and Dalton, Northwood, Lakewood, Brook, McIlroy, Breedlove

Probably should steer clear: Any old Ovation, but there are exceptions. In general plastic doesn't age as well as wood. I do love the new ones though. If you find a refurb, that might be a great deal.

i hope you find a good one. and i MUST EMPHASISE!!! - dont buy it unless you've tried it. dont rely on what it says. a lot of music shops will let you try out the guitars. even the good ones (pretend you want to buy one )

anyway happy hunting.

- Tim
Old 09-24-2006, 07:32 AM   #8
thismalewhoisafly
Eskimo Friend

Thanks to you all guys...
I've been in some local music stores yesterday, just before posting this thread..
The fact is that they do not have the yamaha one, because they said it's quite a new model and it won't hit the italian market before than some months...
I tried a Takamine, it was a better model than the one I posted here because they didnt have the EG260 in stock.. I played it unplugged, and it really felt good in my opinion...
I definitely was disappointed by the Ibanez.
It wasn't easily playable at all, very "rigid" if you get what i mean, and despite it had a quite big body the sound was very poor when unplugged..
I didn't have time enough to take a look to all the other models in my range of price, I'll get back there one of these days and try out some other models.
By the while keep on giving me advises
Old 09-24-2006, 12:24 PM   #9
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

If you can afford it get a Martin or a Taylor, you won't regret it ! However, if you stick a pair of Elixir POLYWEB Acoustic strings on a taka, you'll get a very close sound quality. I have to say though, I played a friends $1.5k Taylor a few weeks ago and fell in love
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:02 PM   #10
bob dylan
Eskimo Baby

I really love Taylor guitars but.... I'm a poor student I bought a Takamine and I thinks it sounds pretty good
bob dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:30 PM   #11
thismalewhoisafly
Eskimo Friend

Which model of Takamine did you get?
I'm looking for a cutaway guitar, that's basically why I was hit by the EG 260...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob dylan
I really love Taylor guitars but.... I'm a poor student I bought a Takamine and I thinks it sounds pretty good
Old 09-24-2006, 06:08 PM   #12
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

i bought a takamine g series about a year and a half ago. couldnt be happier with it. cost around 800 euros but you pay for quality with takamine

usually they only get good over the 300 mark

id advise a martin guitar. but play what feels right for you around your pricerange

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #13
audity
High-Five Eskimo

I agree with revelate, Martins are good guitars.

I recommend Washburn for tone and Epiphone for playability, and both for price.

I have a Epiphone, a Washburn, and an Extreme (a knockoff guitar) and I like them all. (Only God knows the things I had to do to get them)

"Don't worry, ma'am...I've got permits for these."
-The Todd

"For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight."
-William Butler Yeats (1865-1939), Irish poet, playwright
audity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:30 AM   #14
liamtclark
Eskimo Friend

Default check out this site....

one of the best guitar sites ive found.... got a class epiphone les paul for my mate on it for about 330 quid

http://www.gak.co.uk

fairly cheap, and do a next day delivery
liamtclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:06 PM   #15
HtheLionhearted
A Professor

i'd go with either the takamine or the ibanez. i have a takamine and i love it. it has a very good feel. and my buddy has an ibanez of similar quality and that too sounds really good. i've played it a few times. so i'd say it comes down to whatever you think feels best. feel and sound are most important with acoustics imho. all that other technical mumbojumbo like electronics is second.
HtheLionhearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:12 AM   #16
bob dylan
Eskimo Baby

@ thismalewhoisafly

I bought a Takamine EAN40C.... it's a NEX Cutaway
bob dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:59 PM   #17
thismalewhoisafly
Eskimo Friend

Thank you all for your replies, I haven't been around for a while because I was far from home for a convention and i haven't been able to connect to the web.
Now I'll be busy for my doctoral degree exams, so i don't think I'll have the chance to go taking a look around for guitars... I'll keep your advices though, and I'll let you know news...
I plan to have some free time to dedicate to this in the very end of october... maybe I'll have a new guitar in november... i hope so!
Thanks again
Mirko
Old 09-30-2006, 11:02 PM   #18
tywy
Eskimo Regular

I have a richwood solid top acoustic. they're an irish brand, dunno if you can get them anywhere else but it's a really nice guitar. All my friends who've played it always comment how nice it is for the price I paid. I know they do electro acoustics too, whether there's a stockist in Italy is another story
tywy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:19 PM   #19
maccas81
Eskimo Ladies Man

some of the yamahas are as good as youre going to get...takamines sound great plugged in but terrible when playing acoustic....
Old 10-03-2006, 12:00 AM   #20
ZachC
Eskimo Regular

takamine was my first guitar i still have it after 10 years and it still sounds brand new .... i suggest a takamine if its in your range if you can go higher definately a taylor i have a 414ce and it is heaven ....

Visit me and my band at www.myspace.com/zcraftmusic
ZachC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:19 AM   #21
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

my username. get it. carvin.com sells them direct on sale for half the price. it has been compared to 2000+_dollar guitars in a few articles i looked up. also, i decided to buy it instead of either this $2500 taylor or a $2600 martin co. guitar. it sounds great plugged in and unplugged. i'm a huge fan of fishman electronics for acoustics.
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:12 PM   #22
thismachinekillstheenemy
empty thoughts

Timee I had a look at that bebo link you put up. Was just listening to that viking lovers song never heard it before, dont knw if its your on work or a cover? anyway thought it was really good, nice work!!
thismachinekillstheenemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:29 PM   #23
Timeé
Intello

thanks!!! its an original of mine. hope you got your guitar anyway
Old 11-10-2006, 08:08 AM   #24
thismalewhoisafly
Eskimo Friend

Hello... i just wanted to let you know that after months of looking around, comparing and asking for opinions, yesterday I made the grade and bought it.
I want to thank everyone of you who answered my questions and being so kind really tried to clear up my mind and give some help.
In the end I went for this one: cort MR710F

http://www.cort.co.kr/english/produc...?product_id=22

It has a solid spruce top, a quite deep body, that will be useful since I'll play it unplugged very often, and the basic fishman pickuo that should guarantee an almost good result when plugged in.
I like the finish too, it's really simple and above all it's satin, and I generally prefer it to the glossy ones.
It feels good and easy to play too, and i even spent less than i had planned... it costed me 250 euros.
But now, it's gonig to grow a new question!
If I want to change strings to try to get a less "metallic" sound, and try to get even better Bass output, which ones would you suggest me to go for?
I know, I should settle for a while without annoying you with my questions but since you've all been so kind till now...
Thanks again to all of you...
Old 11-20-2006, 10:01 PM   #25
tomek322
Eskimo Baby

My first guitar was an Ibanez AW-100. Solid top and cost me $300 USD. I loved it, easy to play and sounded great. I would recommend it.
tomek322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:21 AM   #26
flyaway
Eskimo Geek

Aww, My first guitar was a tiny little 3/4 one, with nylon strings and no cutaway! I got that when I was 9!
This is my current guitar: http://www.roxymusic.com/Merchant2/g...001/eg530c.jpg, she's a beauty, I think I love her more than most people or things...Infact I do!
Old 12-02-2006, 06:11 PM   #27
Aisling
Mel is so hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeé
i dont like Takamines. theyre too feckin technichael. i dont like either of those 3 brands sorry im honest!!
you should be ashamed of yourself...
Old 12-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #28
Bowe
Eskimo Baby

Dont get a tak. Not the most reliable if it costs under 1000. If your looking for something good and pretty affordable geta vintage.

OR-----Im selling a custom gibson les paul for 2500....
Bowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:44 PM   #29
Timeé
Intello

vintage or vantage?!!! im pretty sure mines a vantage?!!! its amazing for the apparent price. it was a hand-me-down but i checked the model and its only like €100 euro.
lovely guitar. and ive played €3000 taks
Old 12-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #30
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismalewhoisafly
Hello... i just wanted to let you know that after months of looking around, comparing and asking for opinions, yesterday I made the grade and bought it.
I want to thank everyone of you who answered my questions and being so kind really tried to clear up my mind and give some help.
In the end I went for this one: cort MR710F

http://www.cort.co.kr/english/produc...?product_id=22

It has a solid spruce top, a quite deep body, that will be useful since I'll play it unplugged very often, and the basic fishman pickuo that should guarantee an almost good result when plugged in.
I like the finish too, it's really simple and above all it's satin, and I generally prefer it to the glossy ones.
It feels good and easy to play too, and i even spent less than i had planned... it costed me 250 euros.
But now, it's gonig to grow a new question!
If I want to change strings to try to get a less "metallic" sound, and try to get even better Bass output, which ones would you suggest me to go for?
I know, I should settle for a while without annoying you with my questions but since you've all been so kind till now...
Thanks again to all of you...
try a set of Elixer nano-web strings in the Medium weight. gives you great warm tone and bass. doesn't have that annoying twanging/metallic sound of lighter strings and most gutiars come with light strings on them. i personally play mediums on my acoustic and i dno't have any trouble with them being heavier... just takes some getting use to for some people, but the sound is top notch!!!
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote