Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 10-04-2004, 09:17 PM   #1
shane_b
Eskimo Regular

recorded myself the other day and my voice aint great, but it kinda sounds flat, drowny and nasal, how can you stop this ?
shane_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:52 PM   #2
ali*
eskimo drama queen

check ur posture, make sure you're not squashing ur lungs and diaphragm, try breathing through ur diaphragm (ur mouth, like ur going to yawn, instead of through ur nose), some people say lifting ur chin higher prevents flatness, but it also strains the vocal chords, so u prob dont want to do that. also- visualise!! most singing techniques are in ur head [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]hope this helps a little, then again u could always just clench ur butt cheeks,lol
Old 10-04-2004, 10:04 PM   #3
shane_b
Eskimo Regular

yeah someone said before i might try that, might have a numb bumb by the end
Old 10-04-2004, 10:29 PM   #4
cille
creepycute

try to send the noise into your chest and the roof of your mouth more (visualisation again) and if you wanna take the nasal away try to sing while holding your nose closed by squeezing it together and see how you can AVOID using your nose too much when you sing (remember: you can't avoid using the nose a bit for some sounds, so don't let it put you down).

you send the noise into the roof of your mouth by sort of lifting your cheeks (not the butt ones [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]) and open your mouth as if you were to take a bite of an apple. you can sort of see lisa do that sometimes - it gives more sound for brighter tones.

you can explore to make your voice sound fuller by making some loud, rather deep tones on 'aaahhh' while having a hand on your chest and try to keep a bit of that buzzy feel on other tones as well.

and play with it! try out different things; it might sound a little weird at first, but you might find something you can use later on. enjoy your voice and try to find good uses for your 'flat' sound as well - flat sound can be a great quality too imo.

as long as you remember to stop if something hurts your voice or makes you go hoarse - that gotta be rule no.1 in singing!
Old 10-04-2004, 11:02 PM   #5
shane_b
Eskimo Regular

thanks for your advice, i'm afraid that i've ruined my voice in some ways well might of, i used to just belt out song even if i had a sore throat years ago n it just made my throat kill, so might consider some vocal training see if that helps re-strengthen it
Old 10-05-2004, 06:37 PM   #6
megomoo
Eskimo Regular

try to imagine that there is a length of string pulling you up (from the back of your head) this will make you stand up tall.

have your feet slightly apart; one foot on front of the other, this will give you better support.

breathe into your back.

sing up, don't go quiet

and practice[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Old 10-05-2004, 06:38 PM   #7
megomoo
Eskimo Regular

oh oh oh keep eyes level; don't look down!
Old 10-07-2004, 03:07 PM   #8
Sniffer
Eskimo Regular

Very simple: Smile when you sing. Really!
Sniffer is offline   Reply With Quote