Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 05-21-2004, 02:41 AM   #31
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

play what you feel and sing what you see... thats basically what i do

no point sitting down and "trying" to write a song as the result wont be a feeling inside it will be forced..

i usually have an idea for a song and wait for it to come to me. and when it does i write it down and keep going along

its a beautiful feeling and to enjoy your own music does mean alot
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 03:55 PM   #32
Juzzza
Eskimo Regular

I usually come up with guitar parts first, and scat sing over the chords to find the vocal melody. Much like design agencies who come up with visuals first and fill an advert with latin text just to illustrate where and how the text will look, they replace the latin with real (meaningful) words later.

Similar to John Lennon's three blind mice but with syllables rather than actual words to feel out the melodies.

I usually find the words for a verse over the chords then sit down and write the other verses, keeping to the same syllable structure but having a bit of play, it's easy to drop a word or stretch a word out to make an interesting melody.

For example, I had sung the following comfortably over a chord sequence:

'I've been away, I've seen the sun at dawn on the ocean'

So knowing I had 15 or so syllables to play with,I then wrote down

'I've seen the moon look like a plate so high, in a cloudless sky'

And sang the second line of the verse using the same melody as the first, easily over the same chords.

It doesn't matter how you do it, I challenge anyone to hear a finished song and 'know' how the artist wrote it.

Jeff Buckley used to write poems and then put them to music, I can't do that but I do write loads and loads of lyrics and then see if I can scat sing them over a chord structure.

So in some cases I can claim that I wrote the lyrics before the guitar, but melody ALWAYS comes after the guitar part is written... For me that is.

http://www.myspace.com/justinthorne
http://www.myspace.com/jtintheshadows
Juzzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 01:37 AM   #33
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

"writing songs is like being sick it just comes out!"
mestonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 12:48 PM   #34
cille
creepycute

i have a problem: i have loads of melodies and lyrics in my head (and on paper and recorded), but im really crappy at putting it to chords. i play the piano, nothing advanced, but i do know the basic chords, but how does one do it? any tricks? or should i just keep trying? i really think it makes the songs i have in my head sound crappier when i try to put chords on them [img]smileys/smiley13.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2004, 10:42 PM   #35
Andrew
Eskimo Regular

I play a lot locally and writing new songs has become somewhat of an addiction. Everytime i step outside and breath in fresh air i get inspiried to write a new song. i probably write 2 songs a week. usually i will write lyrics while i am writing the guitar part. sometimes i just write poems and write music to them later. i find it handy to carry a notebook wherever i go. I can never sit down and try to write a song, i just have to let them flow out of me. I used to sit there and force myself to write but itjust frustrated me and i was never happy with the results...but whenever you write a song that just pours out of you naturally then the finished product is always good.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:17 PM   #36
Livo
Eskimo Frames Expert

i generally don't write music or harmony or melody or anything, but
lyrics come to me very easily. i was surprised the other day, i was at
my friend's house and she was writing a song and she actually had the
tab in front of her, needless to say i was impressed as i've never done
anything like that. but as i said, i'm fairly alright at lyrics so as
long as she can write the music i'm okay!
Old 06-15-2004, 03:41 PM   #37
MelodyMakerMan
Eskimo Regular

to pick the guitar up with the intent to write a song is silly for me - musical suicide. it just wont happen. what usually happens is i'll be jamming out some nice chord progressions or a tad of finger picking, and without even thinking i'll be humming out a melody.. and so i get the chord structure and song structure nailed in my head, think about the feel of the song... (in that i usually come up with a subject matter) then i'll come up with a melody, just by humming through. then put my guitar down and not go anywhere near it for two or three days, then pick it up, and if that melody and chord progression still interests me then i know i have essentially a good song, then i'll write the words usually be ad-libbing, then writing into it later..to makethe song a little more personal, interlectual, metaphorical... a good song can take me anything from 3 minutes to 3 months to complete.
MelodyMakerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:54 PM   #38
Michelle Joey
Eskimo Psychologist

Stars for all the song-writers [img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]
But I haven't decided yet if you're the moon or a star.
Michelle Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:53 PM   #39
shane_b
Eskimo Regular

i write lyrics and poetry, best thing to do is just write on life expiriences, like something recently happened, just toss ideas in a book like a line or something of how u would explain what happened2 someone else, but without making it a story i dunno say a girl dumped u for another bloke rather than bein obvious and sayin "you left me n said it was over, u had another guy he has a rover" (lol) explain in a distant way like "you accepted my life, but changed ur mind, wandering eyes never to be looking at me" it opens doors for people to relate in different ways to your song, that's why crappy pop songs are not classics, cos they point out the obivious and don't let u make ur own decision
shane_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:24 PM   #40
Lazy Life
Working on a Dream

I always write the lyrics first, then record the vocals on to my mobly phoney as a rough recording so if i ever forget the tune, i just play it off my phone. Then i start to write music weaving in and out and around the words, but one thing i always do is build up to the chorus (if i have one) i just strum the strings harder and harder so it gets quite powerful.... nice way to do it really, and i also write all my lyrics down in my mickey mouse notepad!!