Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 03-10-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

Default I need advice!

I'm looking into buying a cello, and so when I went to check out how expensive they are, I was expecting them to be about 500-1000 dollars, yet I found that on ebay they ranged from as low as 120 to 300 dollars! Does anyone know how much a good/decent cello is? Oh, and how difficult it is to play the cello? I love teaching myself things. Is it possible to teach yourself to play the cello?

this is what most of them on ebay are priced around:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-HANDMADE-Sol...em130086193441

http://thatgirlwiththefreckles.blogspot.com/
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

I think difficulty is just dependant on what you're allready good at, what you find easy, and what you want to try and play on cello.

I'm afraid i dno anything about buying them though.

And you can pheasably teach yourself anything if you work hard at it. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
Timeé
Intello

when's your next guitar lesson?
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:55 PM   #4
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

me or penguinboy? cause i dont take guitar lessons..... i was going to but i dont have enough money!

Old 03-11-2007, 07:57 AM   #5
Calum
Eskimo Regular

I like teaching myself things as well, and i've kind of done that with piano, but unfortunately, cello is simply not one of those instruments you can just pick up and play. I've played double bass a few times, and even on that it's very difficult to find the right notes.

My advice would be that if you really want to play it, then you have to make the effort with lessons and the whole lot to make a really good success of it.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #6
Tom
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenBledsoe
me or penguinboy? cause i dont take guitar lessons..... i was going to but i dont have enough money!
Ah you dont need guitar lessons! I taught myself and I'm ok. Not great, but thats cos I'm too lazy to really sit down and spend time at it. But its really quite easy with all the material you can find on the internet.

Cello I know nothing about though, sorry :S
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #7
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

Yeah, I think I am going to make a deal with my parents. If I work and save 1500 dollars for a cello, hopefully they will agree to pay for lessons. I guess I just need to get 1500 dollars, because the people in The Internet Cello Society said that a decent cello costs around that much. gahh I need to save for four months, but it will be so worth it.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #8
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

well, a cheapo cello generally starts at about 800 dollars. those are considered biggener ones. i play a $4000 stand up bass and its still only considered a mid-quailty bass.

if you don't know how to play.... just buy a cheap one cause you won't know much a difference. you won't be able to make a $100 sound better then a $7000 cello!

i'd suggest once you get one to take it to a music shop they handles classical instruments and ask them to tune it and put tape figer markings for you on it.
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:36 PM   #9
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

lessons are the best way to really get good at an instrument such as cello. know, you'll need to learn to read music and play along with it. you'll have lots to learn! its not nearly as easy as you thinkg and i'd reccomond at least just one or two first lessons because it is VERY important to know proper playing technique such as sitting, how to hold your bow, how to hold your arms/elbows up correctly, and so on,because with out doing these things right... eventually you'll hit a point where it is impossible to progress without changing your technique to the proper way.
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:57 PM   #10
jasonAVO
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenBledsoe
Yeah, I think I am going to make a deal with my parents. If I work and save 1500 dollars for a cello, hopefully they will agree to pay for lessons. I guess I just need to get 1500 dollars, because the people in The Internet Cello Society said that a decent cello costs around that much. gahh I need to save for four months, but it will be so worth it.
my advice....

buy the cheapy from ebay.... i did. gave it to our guitarist and he taught himself(actually taught himself violin first so cello was no biggie but it can be done. video lessons are out there too- plus doing it on your own will feel muuuuuch better than getting cello-lesson-welfare from parents)) in the end it will be what you are willing to put into it. my friend was playing amie and volcano two weeks after i handed him the cello. he also practiced about 6 hours a day.......
anywho...cheapy first because you might not like it. shame to spend 1500 on it and then go ...man i really hate this.

that is what i did for guitar. bought a 100 dollar crappy and learned how. then went for the 1000$ takemine. still learing but once you get the basics you will at least know whether to actually invest in it.

jason

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Ayn Rand
jasonAVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #11
jasonAVO
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvinC980t_kid
i'd suggest once you get one to take it to a music shop they handles classical instruments and ask them to tune it and put tape figer markings for you on it.
good advice
jason

“Advice is like castor oil, easy enough to give but dreadful uneasy to take.”
Old 03-15-2007, 06:33 AM   #12
johnnyappleseed
Eskimo Baby

Jasonavo good qoute
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Ayn Rand

One of the best Authors ever. The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged might be two of the best books i ever read. Im glad you like her work. I personally dont know to many people that read them besides me and my brother.
johnnyappleseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:35 PM   #13
jasonAVO
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyappleseed
Jasonavo good qoute
Ayn Rand

One of the best Authors ever. The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged might be two of the best books i ever read. Im glad you like her work. I personally dont know to many people that read them besides me and my brother.
changed the way i see the world and life. how i deal with others and myself. its hard following the philosophy after 30 odd years of paying more attention to what others want. but it leads to true happiness. anywho...to lauren....judging from some posts of yours i would say pick these books up. long but well worth it. it can be trying, i lost friends , family(though they are starting to accept the change) and even feel a difference here at the igloo since i commented on things in the context of individualism. its why i no longer post much. i tend to try to keep it strictly music related now. i have had people write me to post covers so lately thats all i have done. which has an up side...i used to spend hours debating a subject with people here( which i really enjoyed)..... but now i use the time to do other stuff.

btw ...a movie is on the horizon for atlas shrugged. rumor is that it will be jolie and pitt as they are big fans. and either 2 or 3 movies. the movie rights are firmly in the hands of people who adhere to her philosophy religiously so it should be close to her vision.

and to make this a bit damo related...dont you see him a bit when reading fountainhead? he's got roarks attitude toward his art already. but
i think damo should read these. would help him with his obvious guilt problem

jason

The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.
Ayn Rand