Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 09-21-2007, 02:19 AM   #1
Nine
Inuit

Default Album Preview :D

Hello all

finally finished recording the album, and I've put four tracks from it up on my myspace page here:

www.myspace.com/hollierogersonline

The album hasn't been mastered yet because I'm still trying to work out if anything needs doing, so any suggestions and whatever will be gratefully appreciated.

Look forward to hearing what you think!
xx
Old 09-21-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

Have never taken the time to really listen to your songs before, since I'm a lazy bugger, but this is really, really good and I regret not having listened earlier!
I don't really have any criticism, and I really must stress that your singing is truly class A!
Good job, girl!
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emelie
Have never taken the time to really listen to your songs before, since I'm a lazy bugger, but this is really, really good and I regret not having listened earlier!
I don't really have any criticism, and I really must stress that your singing is truly class A!
Good job, girl!
Thanks very much Emelie! I'm glad you enjoyed them, hope you might purchase a copy when it's out eh!
Cheers again
x
Old 09-22-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
ste_swann
Stupidest Eskimo

hey hey i must say those songs are STUNNING!!!!!!!! I so love your voice, the way you sing, the lyrics (okee...at least what I understand of them eheheh)... Can't wait to hear the whole thing!!! =)
Old 09-22-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
robmcgrail
Lord of Lovely

hey nine! thought the songs were really good. maybe sounded a little i dunno how to put it best, kinda like an umph was lacking a bit. but i think thatll come with mastering. and plus, the files obviously not as great on myspace. so that could be a factor. but yeah. great work! fantastic voice. ill get round to putting my stuff to proper recordings at some point...

is "the son" on thois album. really lied that one. and how can we get this album!
robmcgrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
Nine
Inuit

Thanks steve and rob!

Much appreciated. Yes, The Son will be on this album

You'll be able to get your lovely mitts on it many ways Rob - but I expect the easiest will be on the web, because the stores it's gunna be in are just local ones. It'll be available through CD Baby and perhaps Amazon - but i'm afraid not until Feb/March 2008! Lots to be done, manufacturing and all that lark.

I promise to keep you posted. Thanks for the interest
x
Old 09-22-2007, 09:24 PM   #7
Mr Benn.
Eskimo Regular

Wow!

I hadn't got round to listening to you but I now regret it. Other than not having an Irish accent, I can't fault your performance at all. Atleast you aren't singing in an American accent as people from Britain often end up doing, where are you from?

To me you sound somewhere between Ani Difranco and Patty Griffin in style and that's not a bad place to be at all.
Should I wipe up the stain?
And if I'm low
Can I drown in this rain?
I guess I'm no good
I guess I'm insane

Last edited by Mr Benn.; 09-22-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Mr Benn. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:43 PM   #8
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Benn.
Wow!

I hadn't got round to listening to you but I now regret it. Other than not having an Irish accent, I can't fault your performance at all. Atleast you aren't singing in an American accent as people from Britain often end up doing, where are you from?

To me you sound somewhere between Ani Difranco and Patty Griffin in style and that's not a bad place to be at all.
Wow, what a compliment! Thankyou very much Mr Benn

And god, HOW i wish i was irish - I just love the accent so very much. I'm from Cornwall in the UK. I don't really have an accent as such I suppose, just bog standard english.

Thanks ever so much for those lovely comments! Much appreciated.
xxx
Old 09-22-2007, 11:38 PM   #9
robmcgrail
Lord of Lovely

So whats teh deal with your album. is it been released by a local indie label. or all self financed. Ill definatly do my bit and buy a copy... when i have money. and my birthday is in febuary (you could gimmie a freebe a s a present! ha.) nah ill buy one. Looking forward to it. i hope itll be a wicked good cover and lots of cooool drawings. And when you do interviews. i think you shoyuld publicly thank me for all the help i gave you... vocal coaching and all that malarky! haha anyway all the best on getting everything sorted with it. From the teaser songs it definatly sounds like a good album.
robmcgrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:46 PM   #10
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmcgrail
So whats teh deal with your album. is it been released by a local indie label. or all self financed. Ill definatly do my bit and buy a copy... when i have money. and my birthday is in febuary (you could gimmie a freebe a s a present! ha.) nah ill buy one. Looking forward to it. i hope itll be a wicked good cover and lots of cooool drawings. And when you do interviews. i think you shoyuld publicly thank me for all the help i gave you... vocal coaching and all that malarky! haha anyway all the best on getting everything sorted with it. From the teaser songs it definatly sounds like a good album.
Well it's all a bit complicated actually - it's sort of half self-financed. A local label and studio gave me free unlimited recording studio, i signed a small deal with them that says they basically take a cut of what they sell for me electronically, through their website. But, it's a non-exclusive deal, so I can sell the tracks too, so I'm financing the physical copies - getting them all manufactured and doing all the distribution and stuff. It's going to be expensive and a mammoth task! Still I like a challenge... and I'm not so bothered about making money, more getting myself more known.

Oh, if I ever get big enough to do a national level interview, I absolutely promise to sing eskimofriends.com's praises enternally!!

xx
Old 09-25-2007, 01:57 PM   #11
Franchise
Chief Eskimo Penguin

this is just fantastic
Old 09-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #12
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise
this is just fantastic
haha, well, thanks!
Old 09-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #13
Mort
Czech Eskimo

Those songs sound fantastic! 'Song For A Lover' is my personal favourite now, i think the end of it sounds a bit 'Damien-ish' (and that's always a good thing!) haha
Best luck, Hollie! You have a talent.

Berlin 15/3/07, Dresden 22/7/07, Prague 10/7/12.

last.fm
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:37 PM   #14
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

u know i'm buyn one! maybe two! hehe
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:38 AM   #15
Nine
Inuit

Hoorah! Thanks a lot mort, appreciate it.

david - buy them all!
xxx
Old 09-30-2007, 08:58 AM   #16
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

if i was rich i would hollie.. lol
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:21 AM   #17
eamo_rice
meh

posted on your myspace earlier, but thought I'd add to it here as well, I am LOVING these 4 new tracks. can't wait to have a copy in my hand, and i'm recommending you to everyone I know. Song for a Lover - is that the one with looping at the end? its fantastic, very-Damo-esque, which is not a bad thing, it certainly comes off more as a homage to his live-style rather than a pastiche. Will Time to Burn be on the album? I really liked the vocal harmonies on that track. Not sure I like the track with Rowan singing, nothing against his vocals, it just feels a bit different in style to the others and lacks a certain something. apart from that I have only praise for what you've done so far and I wish you nothing but luck for it
eamo_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:47 AM   #18
Nine
Inuit

Thank you E - I replied to your myspace comment earlier
I'm really pleased that you like them - I'm not sure whether we're putting Time To Burn on, I like it too, but I co-wrote it with another two people, and one of them doesn't want it to go on - we had a big fall out a year or so ago and it's all very awkward... So unfortunately it doesn't look like it will be. But if you'd like a copy of the track I have a feeling it might be available on iTunes - I'm not sure how it got there, but a small record company are selling a compilation of Cornish artist's music which I featured on years ago, and I think it's something to do with that. Just type in my name and it should be there.

However, please please, for the love of God - don't download the other track that's available there... it is really old, and spectacularly sh*t... it would ruin your like of my music!

Never Look Again - that's cool, I like people to be honest, so I'm glad you told me It's one I co-wrote with Rowan, it's not my favourite either but I like the production on it. You're right though, it's definitely different in style to the rest!

See you soon, and thanks again for the feedback! xx
Old 10-02-2007, 01:02 AM   #19
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
I'm not sure whether we're putting Time To Burn on, I like it too, but I co-wrote it with another two people, and one of them doesn't want it to go on - we had a big fall out a year or so ago and it's all very awkward... So unfortunately it doesn't look like it will be. But if you'd like a copy of the track I have a feeling it might be available on iTunes - I'm not sure how it got there, but a small record company are selling a compilation of Cornish artist's music which I featured on years ago, and I think it's something to do with that. Just type in my name and it should be there.

Okkkk if i'm reading correctly ... there's another song we haven't heard??????!!!!!!!!!.... and its on itunes????????!!!!!!!!!

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:05 AM   #20
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaoran

Okkkk if i'm reading correctly ... there's another song we haven't heard??????!!!!!!!!!.... and its on itunes????????!!!!!!!!!

there's lots of songs you haven't heard!!

and yeah... two are on itunes... just please please don't download the one called 'torn'... but if you do, just don't tell me, I'd rather not know!! I'm well aware of it's sh*tness... !!
Old 10-02-2007, 01:10 AM   #21
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
there's lots of songs you haven't heard!!
haha yeah i know... but you got me!!!!!!!!

And for sure i will respect the fact that you don't want me to hear it !!! ... I will imidiately look for the one you like and i will sooooo forget that there's another one called torn!!!!!!!!!!

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...

Last edited by mariaoran; 10-02-2007 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:05 AM   #22
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaoran
haha yeah i know... but you got me!!!!!!!!

And for sure i will respect the fact that you don't want me to hear it !!! ... I will imidiately look for the one you like and i will sooooo forget that there's another one called torn!!!!!!!!!!
Ah, thankyou m'dear I appreciate that
The other one.. it's not one of my favourites, but it's quite nice I think. It was me and 3 friends when I'd just started this music stuff, we were 15 I think, maybe 16.

Your cover is looking great by the way, would you like me to pm you what I've done with it so far?
xx
Old 10-03-2007, 02:22 AM   #23
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
Ah, thankyou m'dear I appreciate that
The other one.. it's not one of my favourites, but it's quite nice I think. It was me and 3 friends when I'd just started this music stuff, we were 15 I think, maybe 16.

Your cover is looking great by the way, would you like me to pm you what I've done with it so far?
xx
yeees!!!!

mmm yes i listened to it and i was totally wondering who the other voices were!!!. ...Ooooh and you should be proud of it ... it's pretty good!!!!!

Old 10-03-2007, 04:37 AM   #24
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Hehe...you can't hide anything in here anymore Hollie darlin....Maria and I are now full-fledged musicians

That's excellent that you have another song available! Once I get my comp. up and running, I shall listen right away! But just a quick question....are you not able to take the song you don't really care for off of iTunes?

ps...can I get a pm too...pleeease I would love to see Maria's work

Last edited by Lindsay; 10-03-2007 at 05:09 AM.
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:19 PM   #25
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay
Hehe...you can't hide anything in here anymore Hollie darlin....Maria and I are now full-fledged musicians

That's excellent that you have another song available! Once I get my comp. up and running, I shall listen right away! But just a quick question....are you not able to take the song you don't really care for off of iTunes?

ps...can I get a pm too...pleeease I would love to see Maria's work
Well... not really... cos I signed a little contract (this is years ago) saying that they could sell it on this compilation. It's unfortunate, but there's not really anything I can do....

sure ya can x
Old 10-03-2007, 05:16 PM   #26
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

oh, I see....that's too bad.

thanks you already know what I think of it
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote