Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 04-18-2005, 07:42 AM   #1
HydeBurns
Eskimo Regular

Default Acoustic Amps

Just wondering what acoustic amps everyone's been playing through. I just bought the Marshall AS50R. And I must say it sounds awesome. I've always had alot of trust in Marshall for my Electric guitar sound. THey just recently came out with 2 acoustic amp models. One 50 watt and one a hundred watts. I was skeptical on whether or not their new acoustic amps would still carry that quality tone that marshall is known for, but optimized for acoustic guitars. I played on it for 15 minutes at the local guitar center and fell in love, bought it on the spot!
Old 04-19-2005, 06:23 PM   #2
coreybyrnes
eskiphotographer

well i am picking up my new acoustic amp tonight.... it's a british made amp Carlsbro Sherwood Signature 85w... i'm getting a FANTASTIC deal on it so i am pretty excited to try it out... i've never used an acoustic amp before but i couldn't pass up the deal i am getting on it, so we'll see how i like it... i usually just run my acoustic through the PA, but that may all change (although it has a balanced XLR out so i can still hook it up to the PA and use it as a monitor for larger venues!)

http://www.carlsbro-online.co.uk/Car...hp?code=LC2460
Old 04-23-2005, 11:48 PM   #3
BenjaminCostello
Eskimo Regular

I have a taylor, and the condensor mic, and pickup which can be mixed have such a good sound, that I have always just gone through a clean channel (a mixer to an amp). I usually do small gigs anyhow, so I just use that same system for my vocals and piano.

But, I wonder what the advantages (if any) there are to getting an acoustic amp...

Benjamin
Old 04-24-2005, 09:32 AM   #4
reyvee61
Eskimo Regular

I'm the same, most places i play i just plug into the pa system......I heard Trace makes a good amp for acoustics.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:43 PM   #5
coreybyrnes
eskiphotographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminCostello
I have a taylor, and the condensor mic, and pickup which can be mixed have such a good sound, that I have always just gone through a clean channel (a mixer to an amp). I usually do small gigs anyhow, so I just use that same system for my vocals and piano.

But, I wonder what the advantages (if any) there are to getting an acoustic amp...

Benjamin
well i have always been in the same boat as you until this past week... i always thought i was just fine going through the PA... but my carlsbro sherwood signature is absolutely rocking me... i've been writing all sorts of new and interesting stuff just because i'm playing through it... having a dedicated amp for each instrument is always a good idea... it's tuned to your instrument in a way a general PA is not in terms of frequencies, compression, etc... the good thing about it is that it has a balanced XLR out so i can still go to the PA, but it has a better signal and the stage gains a monitor... i can prop the amp back by my drummer and he can hear what i'm doing A LOT better than when we were trying to get a good mix through the PA's monitors... i was never sold on the idea until i sacked up and bought one... i got a fantastic deal on it, otherwise i wouldn't have splurged for something i didn't really need... but now i am so glad i got one... but if what you has is working 100% perfectly and you're happy with it, why bother changing it? unless you're in the position to experiment with what sounds you could be getting out there...
Old 04-25-2005, 02:37 PM   #6
BenjaminCostello
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreybyrnes
well i have always been in the same boat as you until this past week... i always thought i was just fine going through the PA... but my carlsbro sherwood signature is absolutely rocking me...
This is really interesting and helpful - thank you so much corey I never (unfortunately) play with a drummer and band - if I did, I imagine it would make a huge difference to have my own amp. Right now - it's just my guitar and voice, so it seems to work out.

I will have to plug into a Carlsbro next time I'm at the store just to see what it sounds like.

Cheers.
Benjamin
Old 04-26-2005, 01:13 PM   #7
coreybyrnes
eskiphotographer

Quote:
I never (unfortunately) play with a drummer and band - if I did, I imagine it would make a huge difference to have my own amp. Right now - it's just my guitar and voice, so it seems to work out.
indeed... very good point... and hopefully whatever PA you play out of sounds good for you and the audience!

Quote:
I will have to plug into a Carlsbro next time I'm at the store just to see what it sounds like.
i had never heard of them before owning my amp so i'm not sure how easy it will be to find one, but who knows! they are apparently a well respected british amp company.... i bought it off craigslist (my favorite website in the whole world) from a local guy who worked for a high-end music shop and he had it custom shipped for him for a really good price... i definitely saw the other end of that really good price in his sale to me it's no AER (if you don't know the name, look it up.... the best in acoustic amps and quite pricey ) but it sounds damn good to me