Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 12-18-2006, 11:35 PM   #91
atagher
Eskimo Baby

Im the other guy in the video with my best bud peterj.. we both follow the forums pretty closely.

Lisas talked with us for a good 45 minutes about everything from Boston to her music. Shes a sweetheart.

Heres the pic.. peterjs on the left. im on the right.. and in the middle.. oh yeah

an angel

atagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:21 AM   #92
peterj
eskimo friend

yeah man.....best night ever buddy ^^^
peterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:57 AM   #93
coreyb
eskiphotographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveydave
Most likely before the weekend.
cheers! looking forward to it!
coreyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:01 AM   #94
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

me too! yay dave

i'm glad you enjoyed the show corey did you happen to take any photos oh eskiphotog?
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:19 AM   #95
MertWindu
Horrible Timing Eskimo

pete:

I did hear about the riots. Such a shame. I watched the sox and pats riots, and I just don't get it. Anyway, good to meet another UMer on here (after a fashion).
MertWindu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:03 AM   #96
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by atagher
Lisas talked with us for a good 45 minutes about everything from Boston to her music. Shes a sweetheart.
Didn't happen to let slip if/when she's releasing anything!?
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:38 AM   #97
peterj
eskimo friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
Didn't happen to let slip if/when she's releasing anything!?
we actually asked her about that in hopes she would let us know something, all she said was that she would like to do that but doesnt know when it will happen...i cant wait for it when she does! oh yeah and i just saw on the lisa page the other day that she is going to have like tv special that will air in 2007

Last edited by peterj; 12-21-2006 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:31 AM   #98
Underdog_19
Eskimo Baby

Hey Daveydave, wondering if yo've had any luck with the recording of the show. Thanks a lot for the hard work.
Underdog_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:56 AM   #99
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

I had to hit the anti-biotics hard last week in addition to getting more rest than usual at night. Even with that issue, I have made progress on the show. I have the show tracked, I took out a few hard claps that were close by, and I currently have one area left to work on, that area being the balance in volume.

To much information, but if you want to know what's left:
===========================================
The volume characteristics of a jazz / folk / soft rock show are so dynamic that you sometimes have to increase volume from one track to another, then decrease it. A perfect example would be if a song like the Death Metal Blowers Daughter (very loud) transitions into a very soft sounding tune. The difficultly, and what i have to do next, is with making the volume transitions sound natural to the ear.

Basically, I need a bit more polish, and it will be out this week.

Thank you for asking and being patient with this.

dave
daveydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:03 AM   #100
mdmt619
Eskimo Baby

Wow, it's great to have tapers who put so much work into the final product! Thanks! I'm anxious to hear how it turns out.
mdmt619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:53 AM   #101
poe11371
Lost Eskimo

Thumbs up Wondering if the aliens got you too

Quote:
To much information, but if you want to know what's left:

Basically, I need a bit more polish, and it will be out this week.
dave
Davedave, you're my hero!
poe11371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:07 AM   #102
peterj
eskimo friend

daveydave you are the man i dont know how i could thank you for putting so much work into this..you rule!
Old 12-27-2006, 09:55 AM   #103
Timeé
Intello

davey when you say a jazz/ folk/ soft rock show do you mean that other genres of concert arent worthy of taping/going to? or is it a case of the volumes are less important?
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:23 AM   #104
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lophashea
Well he must have been drunk on monday then, because he was awful. As far as incredible drummers goes, he is NOT an incredible drummer. Although I hate Dave Matthews Band, Carter Beauford is an incredible drummer not this guy! Sorry but I have been playing music for 25 years (I am 28) and one thing I know is the musician aspect. I can spot talent but you never know, like I said before maybe he was drunk or he was just off that night. It happens to everyone. I'm not saying I am better than this guy at the drums either. My style is different from his so you could never compare. But he is playing with Damien Rice so he must be doing something right!
Tomo usually IS a great drummer; he must've had an off day/night!
Old 12-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #105
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle88

Vyv playing "Yoshimi..."? That seems absolutely perfect, what a brilliant choice.
She actually released an EP with Yoshimi on it, it's great, go buy it!
Old 12-27-2006, 03:31 PM   #106
uh oh smmoreo
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterj
daveydave you are the man i dont know how i could thank you for putting so much work into this..you rule!
Seriously man, you're remarkable!
uh oh smmoreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:15 PM   #107
jbpats
Eskimo Friend

Default I need this show!!!!

This forum just got brought to my attention thru a Ray Lamontagne forum site. We are having a discussion about Rays live show vs. Damiens.
I saw damien for the first time in Boston a few weeks ago, I hadn't ever really heard damien before so i was not expecting all that much... it was nothing short of amazing. Ray on the other hand last week in Boston was below average. I am a new hardcore (if you will) damien fan. I would Love a copy of this show, I need to hear it again I am still mezmorized by so many songs in it. If anybody could help me out it would mean the world to me!
jbpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:39 PM   #108
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

Default all shows are great for recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeé
davey when you say a jazz/ folk/ soft rock show do you mean that other genres of concert arent worthy of taping/going to? or is it a case of the volumes are less important?
Hey Timee,

= do you mean that other genres of concert arent worthy of taping/going to?

No. I love all kinds of music. I've taped plenty of other shows. In fact, most of the shows I tape are rock.

= or is it a case of the volumes are less important?

the decible level / volume level through a rock concert is not going to be so dynamic. Sure there are differences from song to song with the level of sound, but nothing like you will get at a folk or jazz performance. Rock groups tend to have 80% of their songs very loud and within 10 - 20 decibles of one another. Think about someone like Lenny Kravitz, U2, or Green Day.

However, Jazz and folk tend to have extremely quite lows and pretty good highs. The mix of loud songs to softer ones is probably closer to 50 / 50 and the decible levels can easily be 40 - 50 decibles apart from one song to the next.

If you think of some of the recordings you have heard from Damien or someone else who tends to have more dynamic range in sound, you might notice that you would continually be turning the volume up and down if listening in your car.

What I try to do in mastering is get a good mix that hopefully will not force you to be playing with the volume, but will still give you a true representation of the dynamic range of the show.

If you care to learn, I can address this for you with graphical representation of audio files from several genres of music. Let me know if you are interested.

daveydave
Old 12-28-2006, 02:07 AM   #109
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

so damien is a challenge for tapers

thanks for all your work dave! sorry to hear you were sick, hope you're feeling better now

take your time with the show and don't worry about it, it's the holidays you're supposed to be relaxing and having fun
Old 12-28-2006, 02:13 AM   #110
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpats
This forum just got brought to my attention thru a Ray Lamontagne forum site. We are having a discussion about Rays live show vs. Damiens.
I saw damien for the first time in Boston a few weeks ago, I hadn't ever really heard damien before so i was not expecting all that much... it was nothing short of amazing. Ray on the other hand last week in Boston was below average. I am a new hardcore (if you will) damien fan. I would Love a copy of this show, I need to hear it again I am still mezmorized by so many songs in it. If anybody could help me out it would mean the world to me!
aha a new convert.. a big ole welcome to your hardcore self, you're in the right place
Old 12-28-2006, 09:50 AM   #111
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpats
welcome, jbpats! the enthusiasm in your post gave me goosebumps (in a good way!)
Old 12-31-2006, 11:20 PM   #112
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Previously, Tomo was the drummer for GodStreetWine.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:00 AM   #113
cille
creepycute

uh huh.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:38 PM   #114
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
so damien is a challenge for tapers

thanks for all your work dave! sorry to hear you were sick, hope you're feeling better now

take your time with the show and don't worry about it, it's the holidays you're supposed to be relaxing and having fun
For those of you wondering...It shouldn't be too long. Feeling much better now and working on the show has been a great deal of fun this week. I've increased the levels on the softer songs without having taking away from the dynamic range & keep the natural sound.

Also, limited some of the audience clapping to a comfortable level where you will hear the clapping of the audience, but not as if someone is clapping in your ear.

The only thing left to do is to fix a couple of spots where I shifted my head and the mics rubbed etc... This kind of action produces a short wind sound that can be taken out pretty easily. Then, i'll share it with those of you who have been paying attention to this post, or had kind words. I'll then take any criticism / requests and evaluate them, fix them if I think you have a point, and then they I'll release to a torrent site.

Basically, I expect share to share it with a limited few by Monday. Hopefully, I'll have your feedback by Wed or Thursday and release it.

What can I say...it's hard to finish something like this because it's so easy to get lazy and just listen to it instead of working on it. Lisa's voice is just ridiculous. If I could have her sing to me at night, I don't think I'd ever have a bad nights sleep. God, I might be crushing on her. I'm pathetic!

dave

Last edited by daveydave; 01-05-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:48 PM   #115
someoneelseontop
Eskimo Baby

thanks so much for all of your hard work daveydave -- it's definitely going to be the highlight of my week next week!
someoneelseontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:22 AM   #116
poe11371
Lost Eskimo

Smile all in due time

Quote:
Then, i'll share it with those of you who have been paying attention to this post, or had kind words. I'll then take any criticism / requests and evaluate them, fix them if I think you have a point, and then they I'll release to a torrent site.

Basically, I expect share to share it with a limited few by Monday. Hopefully, I'll have your feedback by Wed or Thursday and release it.
It's ok to crush on Lisa, I still have a huge part of my heart for her, but Vyv, once you meet her you will "swoon" for two.

I have this weekend off so if you get the release out and I am lucky enough to be granted one I will be giving it some serious air time.

Take care and talk to you soon.
poe11371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:40 AM   #117
mdmt619
Eskimo Baby

Sounds great, I know we're all excited to hear it!
mdmt619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:37 AM   #118
DawnAC321
Eskimo Baby

Dave, you are awesome. Can't wait to hear the show again! Thanks for all your hard work!
DawnAC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:26 AM   #119
conorjam
dont be a menace

Thanks a million for all your work daveydave. looking forward to it so much.
conorjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:53 AM   #120
uh oh smmoreo
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
The only thing left to do is to fix a couple of spots where I shifted my head and the mics rubbed etc... This kind of action produces a short wind sound that can be taken out pretty easily. Then, i'll share it with those of you who have been paying attention to this post, or had kind words. I'll then take any criticism / requests and evaluate them, fix them if I think you have a point, and then they I'll release to a torrent site.
Dave, do I count in this? Haha, I don't mean to sound impatient, but I would love to offer criticism. I feel like I have enough bootlegs to be able to tell if there is anything in particular that needs changing. If you feel like I shouldn't because I only have two posts, that is A-OK too. I wouldn't blame you!

Thanks a lot for all the work- can't wait to hear it, whenever that may be.

--Grant
uh oh smmoreo is offline   Reply With Quote