Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-13-2004, 11:41 PM   #1
Ireland
Eskimo Baby

Hey,

Just in from the show at St.Lukes. Flew over from Belfast to watch and was definitely worth it. It wasn;t the greatest show in the world but was still definitely worth coming over for.

I managed to get the set list from the sound desk after, so that was nice. It was a bit strange because as it was being recorded for tv Damien couldn;t really interact with the crowd as he sometimes does.

he played a song that i didn;'t know, maybe someone could help me out with it- maybe it was 'closer' but not sure.

during older chests lisa lost her voice so they had to stop and do a different song then come back to older later on...was quite funny

what did others think of it?

Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 12:11 AM   #2
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

Just got back from the BBC gig and holy sh*t what a night [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

before i proceed with my review I would like to thank 2 people so so so much for making tonight possible for me

1st Person is libby - she kindly got the girl i went with to get in touch with me and she told me about the spare ticket for that i think she is such a great lovely eskimo! Today in the 'gloo me and vienna were talking about how nice she is to all of us! Thank you!![img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img]

The second person i would like to thank is Lisa - the BBC compotition winner who gave a spare ticket to me! God you made my night, you were a really nice person and it was great to meet you!! Thank you!![img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img]

(this wasn't meant to sound like an awards acceptance speech!!) [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Anyway to start with i 'm going to have to disagree with you ireland on that it was IMHO the best damo gig i have ever been to! And i didn't think that damo used setlists whilst playing, i'm sure during the gig he was saying to the band what song to play next and they just followed? I might be wrong?

Here is the setlist in no particular order i can only remember what songs, not the order but he did start with the proffesor

Setlist

The Proffesor
Delicate
Volcano
The Blower's Daughter
Cannonball
Older Chests ( wasn't when lisa messed up)
Cheer's Darlin (acoustic version not with the mini disc version)
Cold Water
Amie
I remember ( It got to a point in this during lisa's solo where her voice kinda got knackered - they stopped - i felt so sorry for her - so damo gave her a rest)

Insane - he played this directly after I remeber's false start
Eskimo
Woman like a man
Prague
Lonely Soldier
Baby Sister

ermmmm.....i think thats it pretty much

the whole of O and a few others

The Venue : St Lukes was such a great place to have the recording it was sooo intimate. We were all sat at tables with some sat in the balconys above. All the tables had candles lit on them with stage lighting all around us. There was about 5 cameras i think videoing

Heres a picture

As you can see the venue is an old church and it had a great feel to it so nice!! The stage was lit up as usual with candles. I was sitting to the right to the side of tomo and shane.

The band performed excellently and nobody in the audience said a word it was great. THe acoustics of the hall were mindblowing they really showed damos music. There were times where a pin could be heard dropping.
Damo didn't say absoloutley loads he said that he was still jet lagged from Oz. In comparison to the Channel 4 gig damo just played a whole set and they didn't have to rerun any bits.
I think a lot of damos close friends that were there and family. Would have loved to have met him and the band but i didn't really have time to wait about and it looked like he wsa going to shoot off anyway.
I cannot describe the sheer brilliance of the band. Before the encore everyone just stood up and applauded. You could see when the proffessor kicked in, faces were lighting up in amazement. A damo live experience is one where the feeling is very surreal. I felt i was watching a screen all night and couldn't actually believe he was there! Tomo's drumming amazed me as always! He is always a pleasure to watch. I have noticed that he has drilled little holes and put screws in some of his cymbols to create that shattering cymbal effect! It was cool!!

Anyways i talked tooooo much! THe gig was a pinnacle in my life tonight and will always always stay in my mind as one of the greatest!
Please watch it when it comes out it will be well worth it!!

Thanks again to Lisa and Libby! My saviours!!!!

btw if there were any eskimos there tonight let me know and i can see if i recognised you! There was one familer face there? Its great though seeing the same tour staff and people associated with damo,as when i saw him in february this year

anyway must stop typing! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img] Edited by: mestonf
Old 11-14-2004, 12:45 AM   #3
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

so anyone got any idea when and where this is gonna be shown on TV????

sounds absolutely fantastic Felix......would've loved to have been there!!

Unfortunatelyi'm in Cardiff with Tricia [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img](finding it really hard to type on her crazy french keyboard [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]) we went to seea guy named Stephen Fretwell, well worth checking out!!!!
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 12:59 AM   #4
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

yeah the dates are:

BBC 4 - 26th November

BBC 2 - 17th December ( i have got a feeling this is a late showing of it at about 11:35pm)

You might see me on it!!!!!
Old 11-14-2004, 02:15 AM   #5
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Wow, sounds fantastic, Felix! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]And you are right, the venue looks so special. Must have been a beautiful atmosphere with the candles, too. Lucky you! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2004, 10:21 AM   #6
mari
Eskimo Regular

Well, at last I have seen Damien live... still can't believe I was there. Although I have been feeling really poorly recently, I'm so glad I managed to make it to st Luke's, Old Street. What a fantastic venue!

My sister and I sat with two other lovely peopleround a small table lit with candles second row from the front. They may have been eskimos friends too, who knows? (One was a student at Sheffield University, but both from Liverpool). I wrote down all the tracks that Damien played because I have such a bad memory.

Yes, Felix there was one track I didn't recognise at all. I jotted down the title 'Baby Sister', although I have no idea what the track was called.

The band were fantastic, especially Damien, of course. My only regret of the evening is that, while I was standing outside before the show, Damien walked past me, he looked up and smiled at me, but I was just too shy to speak to him, I even had a camera with me, but I thought I wouldhave another opportunity to take photos later, but, of course there wasn't, becauseit was all being filmed, noflash photography, of course.[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img] What a wasted opportunity!

(Sarah, I know exactly how you feel, now after your encounter in Barcelona).

Anyway, I have a feeling there were other eskimos near me, but I can't be sure, I think I recognised someone from a photo that I've seen posted on the pics only thread. (very pretty girl, small, long, dark hair).

Damien commented on how quiet the audience was, I think we were all just so wrapped up in the beauty of his music. At one point during 'I remember' Lisa started coughing, so had to stop and Damien played Insane, then they re-did 'I remember', Lisa whispered something in Damien's ear and he smiled and said to the audience 'I know something you don't know!' But he never shared whatever she told him with us!

It was such a wonderful evening. Because I have had such a sad and heartbreaking week, I hadn't even been looking forward to saturday, wasn't even sure I would be well enough to go, and at the back of my mind I suppose I was afraid I would get to the door and be told that my name wasn't on the guest list after all, and I would have to go home... How wrong I was. Thank you Damien and co. for ending mynightmare week in such a wonderful way.Edited by: mari
Old 11-14-2004, 11:17 AM   #7
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari

Yes, Felix there was one track I didn't recognise at all. I jotted down the title 'Baby Sister', although I have no idea what the track was called.
Yeah i'm sure it was baby sister, Accidental Babies is the only damo tune i don't know so i'm very certain that was it!

Did you find though by sitting down and it being recorded for TV you were a bit restricted and couldn't sing along or anything like that?
Old 11-14-2004, 11:26 AM   #8
mari
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestonf
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari

Did you find though by sitting down and it being recorded for TV you were a bit restricted and couldn't sing along or anything like that?

Yes, I know what you mean, on the other hand, I'm quite small, so I found it a real advantage not having any tall people standing up in front of me, I had such a brilliant view from where I was (and you too, presumably, second row, but I was nearer the left-hand side). It was a dream of an evening for me, so close and such a wonderful venue.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:54 AM   #9
olsie
Eskimo Baby

wow! it was such a fantastic evening. i think the silence from the the audience bought an extra something to the concert. it was something special.

the setlist was fantastic. 2 hours they played for.

i met vyvienne at the end she was very sweet, and so wonderful.

thanks for a wonderful evening vyv
olsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 12:15 PM   #10
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

you met VYv! Olsie....i'm jealous!!!

Where abouts were you sitting?
Old 11-14-2004, 03:25 PM   #11
cille
creepycute

thanks for the reviews and welcome to you new faces![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

what's up with lisa's voice failing her - it has happened before this year, right?i hope nothing serious is wrong
Old 11-14-2004, 03:37 PM   #12
mari
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cillecille

thanks for the reviews and welcome to you new faces![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

what's up with lisa's voice failing her - it has happened before this year, right?i hope nothing serious is wrong

I think it was just that at times it was a bit smokey on stage what with all the candles burning and the joss sticks...very beautiful, though.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:08 PM   #13
olsie
Eskimo Baby

i was sitting 2nd table directly infront of vyv.
olsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 10:05 PM   #14
Hannah650
Wee Wils

Awh im very jealous, but glad you all had a great time[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]. Thanx for the reviews guys, i love reading about Damien gigs. Cant wait to see it on tv, will be setting the video for it cos my god does it sound fantastic!!
Old 11-14-2004, 10:15 PM   #15
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

cheers hannah!

Yeah on the point of the TV showing...is anyone going to record the show or put it on the BIT Torrent Website like they did with the Channel 4 Gig. The BIT Torrent would be sooooo cool if they could do that. The Channel 4 one was DVD quality and is great to watch!
Old 11-15-2004, 11:30 AM   #16
npj_
Eskimo Baby

I'm with mestonf - can someone please record/torrent this!! I hope they
play the whole show.
npj_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:24 PM   #17
samiad
Eskimo Baby

I was there, it was awesome. 4th time ive seen Damien now,and perhaps the best, second only to the first time (theres nothing like the first time).

He played the whole album plus Woman like a man, proffessor, lonely soldier, baby sister and insane.

Best songs of the night were Volcano, (all 12 minutes of it) and lonely soldier. I f**kin love that song.

The only downside was that there didnt seem to be many fans there. Seemed like lots of corporate BBC people in suits. Also, we waited for 4 hours beforehand, and they sent us to the bar!!!!! Then we lost our place and had to sit in the blacony. It was cool cos we had a sweet view, but nonetheless it would have been nice to have a table.

Also, i looked at the guest list and some people had their name plus 9! So so many more of you could have come and chucked the corporation people out! Plus 9!

Anyhoo, bring on the tv programme!
Old 11-15-2004, 08:29 PM   #18
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

glad you had a good time! Yeah i noticed a lot of coperate people there, family and friends of the band. People being ushered through doors but it would be nice if damo could do like a gig only open to eskimo friends or real genuine fans. But that was certainly no downside to saturday night. Yeah i sat at the front was great!

The Volcano jam was fooooookin coool! I loved it!
I would love to have know who some of those "Corporate" were!??
Old 11-16-2004, 05:51 AM   #19
cneill
eskimo hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestonf
Yeah on the point of the TV showing...is anyone going to record the show or put it on the BIT Torrent Website like they did with the Channel 4 Gig. The BIT Torrent would be sooooo cool if they could do that. The Channel 4 one was DVD quality and is great to watch!

oh wow! I didn't know there was a previous video being shared! Is it still available?
photography!: http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=1820624
cneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 06:27 PM   #20
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

yeah you can still get the Channel 4 video

Its in DVD format

CLICK HERE

Its a excellent show, great quality and just look at the fans faces when cold water kicks in. Magical
Old 12-04-2004, 05:20 PM   #21
buzzy
Eskimo Baby

Torrent of the St Luke's video here:

http://www.easytree.org/torrents-details.php?id=16782

Personally I liked the Headliners performance better, but no doubt you'll want them all.
buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 06:42 PM   #22
shane_b
Eskimo Regular

i can't download it cos i can#t sign up for an account
Old 12-06-2004, 03:28 PM   #23
buzzy
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_b
i can't download it cos i can#t sign up for an account
Sorry, I didn't know there was an issue there.But it sounds like you might be able to try again and get in:

> On Nov. 26, the Admin announced that EZT would be capping membership at
> 100,000 users. We first hit the 100,000 user limit at approx. 03:50 AM GMT on
> Dec. 1, 2004. Since that time, we continue to add new users as inactive users are
> purged or accounts are deleted. Membership is not closed, just capped. At this
> point, it has been about 100 new users per day. Each day, new users will have a
> chance to signup for an EZT account.
>
> So, while they may need to try a few times, hopefully a slot will open up for them.
buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote