Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 05-25-2007, 06:46 PM   #91
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

I've probably seen that trailer a dozen times. Is his past women (the one that's gone) the same woman that was in that short a few years ago called - "Sightings of Bono?" I never picked up on this before. I'm not talking about Marketa, but the woman early in the trailer.

Compare - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koy0IF1Hvwg

[quote=coreyb]oh wow... just watched the trailer... so excited... wish i wasn't headed outta town this weekend... i wanna see that asap... is it coming to the kendall theater by any chance?

Last edited by daveydave; 05-25-2007 at 06:51 PM.
daveydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:06 PM   #92
bottlebohemia
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveydave

Personally, I don't think Damien should ever play another venue in Boston besides the Opera House. I hope that's where he plans to play in September.
Can you imagine Cannonball (no mic) at the Orpheum?
Thanks Dave!

I agree...I loved the Opera House, it was so beautiful inside...I wish we got a vote.

-Jen
bottlebohemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:59 PM   #93
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I agree the bit at the end of Volcano could be an improv...

What about Never Go Down at the end of MMY&I? Is that a proper song? Isn't he singing it over the MMY&I music? Sounds to me like an outro to MMY&I...

In fact, in some gigs on this tour they've done an intro to MMY&I that sounded like this outro but without lyrics, wonder if it's the same thing...
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:22 PM   #94
dragonflies76
Eskimo Baby

[quote=dragonflies76]Is it me, or is V3-May a better sounding recording than December's?

Yes, totally, though May is certainly not chicken liver.

duh! meant to say December was not chicken liver! sorry for the confusion.

**still listening to May (can you believe we can actually listen to a show that took place less then 72 hours ago?) and still amazed at Damo's gift.**

yay for daveydave's time travel machine
dragonflies76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:25 PM   #95
bottlebohemia
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
I agree the bit at the end of Volcano could be an improv...

What about Never Go Down at the end of MMY&I? Is that a proper song? Isn't he singing it over the MMY&I music? Sounds to me like an outro to MMY&I...

In fact, in some gigs on this tour they've done an intro to MMY&I that sounded like this outro but without lyrics, wonder if it's the same thing...
I don't know if Never Go Down is a proper song, I sort of want to say no, but I agree with you that it's (at the very least) an outro to MMY&I....
Old 05-26-2007, 01:56 AM   #96
tylerm
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Tylerm,

What did you use to do this? Just curious. I tested out the recommendation you and Corey had (via Acid Pro), and there will definitely be a matrix of the two recordings - probably later this summer. Of course, it will only come after I master V3. I'll start mastering that recording this weekend.

The 4 tracks mixed with a 70/30 or 60/40 balance is just amazing.

Is it me, or is V3-May a better sounding recording than December's?
I just used GarageBand . And I think this recording is better than December's, or maybe the sound and instrument setup at this show was just better.
tylerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:01 AM   #97
FireDancer79
The Girl That Does Yoga

Awesome pics Corey! And funny how, on your site, the daily album only lasted 5 days

Cheers!
FireDancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:48 AM   #98
poe11371
Lost Eskimo

Talking I agree

Quote:
Hey Eskimo's!

The only two problems I can see are with things I couldn't control.

a.) Guy next to me with some loud claps at end of songs. A hoot from him every once and a while. I was able to lighten up that kind of thing on the last recording from December and expect similar results.

b.) Two young ladies behind me that needed to be thrown over the edge of the balcony. Ok, I'm not really that bad of a guy, but these are the type of people that talk through shows and then sing the wrong words. Thus far I have not picked them up on Recording A. Maybe the mics did their job.
I managed to get second row ... don't everyone get jealous - I was all the way to the right and in front of the speakers ... ear is STILL ringing. There was too much whistling and yelling during the show where it was totally unnecessary. Not sure if you heard it or you could pick it up but I was the joker that said rather loudly during the percussion jam - "I want more cowbell" - yeah, that was me.

Got to meet up with Damien after the show. Didn't get to ask him about my "abducted by aliens" theory that came about after his December show rant before Amie. Still it was thrill to see him again, granted no Lisa but she will be around on her own again soon.

Dave add me to your "tester" list again if you would and we'll see if you can duplicate your success from the December show with this recording. BTW - talked to a few people at this show and they said they had your Dec. recording and all said you did a great job on it - so, how's that for a stroke of the ego and a pat on the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palescales
edit: he very distinctly said "i'll see you guys in september" when he walked off the stage. another tour perhaps?
Talked to him after show and I asked him about that and he said he was sure about NY but not sure if there were any Boston dates as of yet. So ... cross our fingers time.

Last edited by poe11371; 05-26-2007 at 07:21 AM.
poe11371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:53 AM
poe11371
This message has been deleted by poe11371.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:04 AM   #99
poe11371
Lost Eskimo

Question a "different" sound coming from Damien? (x-posted)

I didn't get to ask him about this the other night when I was talking to him - mostly due to the shock that he actually stoped to talk to me and some others after the gig - but do you think Damien is going to a harder, electric guitar based, aggressive sound?

I noticed it in the show in Boston and in some of the recent videos from radio shows and such that there is more emotion on his face and in his snarls as he sings. Go watch the YouTube video for "Rootless Tree" from the Abbey Road studios. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlnpedLeGbo From about the 3 minute mark and on is a small taste of what I mean and not a very good example but it counts for some.

Granted Damien did play the death metal version of "Blowers Daughter" last December when he was here (Boston) last and that was mostly done for a laugh. I suppose. The other night he played more than a few songs on electric guitar and not as much on his old trusted acoustic. Not saying that the new sound is bad, it's just interesting and thus far enjoyable, to me, and hope to here more of it coming from him.

Oh, and how come he still can't get the lyrics right for Accidental Babies? Second time I heard him perform it live and second time he messed up a bit. Not that he changed the lyrics, he forgot the correct line and just mumbles it out.

Last edited by poe11371; 05-27-2007 at 04:09 AM.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:27 AM   #100
FireDancer79
The Girl That Does Yoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by poe11371
Oh, and how come he still can't get the lyrics right for Accidental Babies? Second time I heard him perform it live and second time he messed up a bit. Not that he changed the lyrics, he forgot the correct line and just mumbles it out.
The same thing happened at RCMH...

Cheers!
FireDancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #101
bottlebohemia
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by poe11371
I didn't get to ask him about this the other night when I was talking to him -

Where did you see him after the show?! (Sorry if I missed where you already said this!)

I debated waiting after the show but I sat next to two obnoxious people (the ones that kept whistling- oh you can hear them on the recordings) and bolted from the Opera House after it was done...now I wish I didn't!
Old 05-28-2007, 02:06 AM   #102
poe11371
Lost Eskimo

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebohemia
Where did you see him after the show?! (Sorry if I missed where you already said this!)

I debated waiting after the show but I sat next to two obnoxious people (the ones that kept whistling- oh you can hear them on the recordings) and bolted from the Opera House after it was done...now I wish I didn't!
Around the corner from the buses. I now know what direction they come from when they leave the venue so stalking him next time he plays Boston I will know where to camp out. Didn't wait long, not like back in December, and there was only five of us waiting.

He explained how and why he doesn't do autographs and pictures and very politely waited for the right time to excuse himself. I'd have to say, other than the hooting and massive cell phone cameras hovering inside the show, the after show response must have left him with a better feeling about Boston.

Next time he comes to town and you plan on going look me up and I'll introduce myself to the Boston Eskimos if we can work up a time and place to meet - like after the show at the buses.

Last edited by poe11371; 05-28-2007 at 02:34 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:31 AM   #103
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

Hey Pete,

Good to see you made it to the show. I hadn't seen a post from you for a while, so I thought you were busy & or out of town for the show.

Great show. I wasn't sure how it would be without Lisa, but I think it was more intense + the venue sounded so good. Plus, the setlist was excellent and complimented the previous Boston show perfectly.

Really happy to hear that you ran into some fans that enjoyed the December show download. I love hearing that stuff. It just makes me want to get better gear & justifies the investment in what can be an expensive but rewarding hobby. That's a nice pat on the back.

Bizarre enough, I ran into my sister-in-law who had been to the December show (my wife and I had no idea.) Amazing, didn't even know she was a DR fan. We hung out across from the theatre talking for about an hour after the show. I kept checking the buses across the street just in case Damo or the band came out, but didn't see anyone. I'm glad you got to shoot the breeze with him. That's always a cool experience.

For September, let's hope it's the Opera House and we can catch up and grab a beer with some of the other fans heading to the show. Everyone here has been rather cool, so I don't think it would be too W-E-I-R-D.

Dave
Old 05-28-2007, 02:44 AM   #104
ml7667
Eskimo Baby

Dave, I believe I am one of the fans that got a hold of your December recording and talked to Pete about it, I was sitting right next to him at the show. However, I got your December recording pretty recently and not when you released it so I have no clue what the timelines are like for you. Any idea when it will be finished and released? No hurry, just curious

Thankyou for your time and effort and your excellent recording from December

Matt
ml7667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:08 AM   #105
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

Hi Matt,

Good to hear from you & happy to hear you are enjoying the December show. Pete was very helpful in December when I needed a few people to make suggestions on mastering the show. Great Damo fan - period!

As far as releasing a master, it took me a couple of months last time. That had more to do with the holidays and the need to clean up some sections.

The recording from last week was so clean, I feel like it will be a week or two. Not nearly the time as the last one. I don't think I will change EQ settings because the instruments are so clear and sharp (all of them.) The only area I can see any changes is with Cannonball - because it wasn't mic'd. It has low volume, but I know I can bring that out. I've already done something similar before.

I'll keep you all updated during the week.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml7667
Dave, I believe I am one of the fans that got a hold of your December recording and talked to Pete about it, I was sitting right next to him at the show. However, I got your December recording pretty recently and not when you released it so I have no clue what the timelines are like for you. Any idea when it will be finished and released? No hurry, just curious

Thankyou for your time and effort and your excellent recording from December

Matt
Old 05-28-2007, 06:43 AM   #106
Haina
Eskimo Friend

Glad to hear that, Dave. I can't wait to hear the final mastered version!!
Haina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:25 PM   #107
Lin@
Eskimo Regular

Guys, I GOT IT!!!

I finally (!) had the time to listen to (at least part of) Dave's recording, which is amazing, so I can't wait to hear the final version! (Btw, I prefer the V3 version as well...)

AND I immediately recognized the bit he plays after Volcano you've all been racking your brains about.
It must be a snippet of Damien's "What do you know about love?". Just check the lyrics page and you'll agree with me.
I couldn't identify the "Never Going Down" part after MMY&I, though.

And is it just me or does his voice sound a little bit raspy? Not that I'm complaining, I love this kind of huskiness. It adds a totally different dimension to the songs.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:33 PM   #108
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

LINA YOU'RE A GENIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just been to the lyrics page and he certainly sings the 'She seems happier without me' bit from What do you know about love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been googling 'lyrics happier' for days but couldn't find a thing. Should have done a search in the lyrics section here!!!!!!!!!

But I cannot identify what part of the song he's singing. I can only figure out the 'she seems happier without me' line...
Old 05-28-2007, 05:43 PM   #109
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I think I hear 'What do you know about love/ Except that you kill... ?????... She seems happier without me'
Old 05-28-2007, 05:43 PM   #110
Lin@
Eskimo Regular

Well, the only passages I can really identify are:
"What do you know about love,
except that you (feel)"
and "happier without me" at the end.

This mumbling in between makes me think that he doesn't know what he is singing himself. Or he can't remember the lyrics... At least I can't really get anything out of it that would fit the lyrics Emmett put up here in the lyrics section.

But does anyone know what he sings after MMY&I? I'd love to google it, cause I suppose it's part of a cover song, but I can't understand a single line except "never go down"...
Old 05-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #111
bottlebohemia
Eskimo Friend

Lina! Thank you for putting an end to my insanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin@
Guys, I GOT IT!!!

I finally (!) had the time to listen to (at least part of) Dave's recording, which is amazing, so I can't wait to hear the final version! (Btw, I prefer the V3 version as well...)

AND I immediately recognized the bit he plays after Volcano you've all been racking your brains about.
It must be a snippet of Damien's "What do you know about love?". Just check the lyrics page and you'll agree with me.
I couldn't identify the "Never Going Down" part after MMY&I, though.

And is it just me or does his voice sound a little bit raspy? Not that I'm complaining, I love this kind of huskiness. It adds a totally different dimension to the songs.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #112
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

I'm going to check that out Lin. Excellent find, in advance! That was driving me nuts.

His voice was very raspy on Cross Eyed Bear, but I thought it was pretty tight the rest of the night.

Yeah, V3 is the one I listen to more.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:46 PM   #113
ml7667
Eskimo Baby

Dave if we do get a Boston show this September, will you be taping that as well?
ml7667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:20 AM   #114
nyrice45
Eskimo Friend

wow- cant believe we got some of what do you know about love and didnt even know it- the one song no recording exists of?

good find lina- and just to add to it - he says

what do you know about love
except that you feel
(cant hear this line)
If you don't I will
(cant hear the next
two lines)
happier

can anyone make out the rest?
nyrice45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:41 AM   #115
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Lina, you should be Eskimo of the Month!!!!

If you check the lyrics section, nothing matches perfectly, so I agree, I think he started right 'What do you know about love/ Except that you kill' and then forgot the lyrics and started rambling til the final line 'She seems happier without me'

What about Never Go Down? I get some bits and pieces but not the whole thing. Did anyone try to transcribe it?

I get nothing from googling, so I think it's not a cover. Maybe it's a new song, but he's kinda playing it over MMY&I, like it doesn't have its own music.

I was thinking maybe it's something from the Juniper days. Any Juniper expert?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:05 AM   #116
Lin@
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Lina, you should be Eskimo of the Month!!!!
Nah, I'd rather vote for Dave. I've been listening to his recording nonstop since yesterday and I still can't believe its awesomeness. Usually I don't get so "attached" to shows I haven't been attending myself. Just to a couple of songs maybe. But this Boston gig is beyond amazing. I can only imagine how brilliant the final thing will sound like...
Old 05-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #117
coreyb
eskiphotographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer79
Awesome pics Corey! And funny how, on your site, the daily album only lasted 5 days
haha... thanks girl... yea, things got way too busy... i had good intentions... perhaps when life calms down a bit i can pick that up again... thanks for checking out my site... i appreciate the kind words...
coreyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:39 PM
daveydave
This message has been deleted by daveydave. Reason: trying to get image size down
Old 05-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #118
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

Default September Recording

Well, I wasn't really sure. However, I've been curious myself. So, like all of the important questions in my life, I decided it was time to pull out the old trusted Magic 8-Ball. Specifically, an internet version I found here www.flash-gear.com/8/

Hey, it kind of counts! Once I entered the question, it took forever to come up with the answer...I have no idea what that means.

[IMG]WillDaveTapeSeptember.JPG [/IMG]

Why not? Let's go for the Box set!

dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml7667
Dave if we do get a Boston show this September, will you be taping that as well?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WillDaveTapeSeptember.JPG (12.4 KB, 168 views)
Old 05-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #119
bottlebohemia
Eskimo Friend

^ Haha Dave, you're too funny.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:22 PM   #120
coreyb
eskiphotographer

i too consulted with the online 8-ball... here are the results of my inquiry...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007-05-29_112122.jpg (18.5 KB, 166 views)
coreyb is offline   Reply With Quote