creepycute

^ & ^^ why?
Old 09-22-2006, 03:19 PM   #92
Bumpman

Arse biscuits.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:43 PM   #93
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Putting the first single 2 weeks after the album is like a new strategy to sell more albums... Massive Attack did it for the Mezzanine album and Robbie Williams does it all the time
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:49 PM   #94
Bumpman

I think it's a better idea, I haven't listened to Nine Crimes yet and I don't really intend to. I kinda prefer to take in the whole album in context, if it were out as a single though you'd hear it everywhere, and it would sort of ruin the surprise.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:13 PM   #95
Nana
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolina
I think Damien doesn't need Lisa at all...
I feel the same way
Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:15 PM   #96
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

But I need Lisa!!

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:18 PM   #97
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Cille sent me a lovely PM today, thanks, but...is that all right with you?

Last edited by Hendrik; 09-22-2006 at 07:21 PM.
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:15 PM   #98
droovin
A Hoi-Hoi

It's not a case of him "needing" Lisa at all. It just adds another dimension to each song, something extra to differentiate from all of the other artists out there

Or that might just be my way of thinking, I dunno

My Band

My Usual Hangout
droovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:23 PM   #99
Karolina
Eskimo Friend

Lisa sounds like a pop vocalist in that new version of nine crimes. i hope she sings just in this song...
If the album is the same as new 9 crimes, this will not be the same music, the same Damien... IT'S SAD!
I don't want to get disappoint.
Karolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:24 PM   #100
cille
creepycute

Comeon, it's all pop music, always have been! And I really don't think Lisa sounds any different on this one than she did before.

What's this anti Lisa campaign, it seems to have come totally out of the blue.. They are great together, and pretty damn good alone, it's all good you know?
As a girl it can be hard to recognize Lisa's qualities, cause she is so talented, intense, captivating, beautiful, delicate and mysterious - frankly, it sometimes leaves a tiny pinch of petty envy in my stomach, cause i'll never be all that. But it feels a lot better enjoying and recognizing her work and let go off all mean spirits. I hope they'll do a lot more work together in the future, and a lot work without eachother, none of it can ever be bad I'm sure.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:31 PM   #101
Karolina
Eskimo Friend

I'm not in anti-Lisa campaign.
I like her in The blowers doughter, I like her in Cold Water, I like her even in Then Go, when she sings alone...
But single is a big disappointment.
Damien is not POP, is he? He is more soft rock, or I dont know...
Karolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:33 PM   #102
droovin
A Hoi-Hoi

Quote:
Lisa sounds like a pop vocalist in that new version of nine crimes. i hope she sings just in this song...
If the album is the same as new 9 crimes, this will not be the same music, the same Damien... IT'S SAD!
I can see why you'd think that, but, I also think it's pretty harsh on Lisa to compare her to most of the run of the mill "pop stars" around at the moment. Mainly because she is such an amazing singer, with so much to give in terms of emotion, passion, etc. I think if you take Lisa away from it all together, you won't get the same album/music. It all adds up to a good experience. They are awesome individually, but together, they just work. It's pretty hard to find stuff like that nowadays

And yeh, I've been on this board for like 2 days or something, and it is a pretty sudden outburst of "get Lisa out!" type thing. Bit surprising as well!

I didn't notice a difference either in her voice in this song compared to any of the others really

My Band

My Usual Hangout
Old 09-22-2006, 08:35 PM   #103
droovin
A Hoi-Hoi

Oh yeh, and the term "pop" really should be reverted back to meaning "popular". It's too broad a term to use on one genre alone, because at least one artist from (nearly) all genres can be classed as popular

Another slice of randomness there ^_^

My Band

My Usual Hangout
Old 09-22-2006, 08:35 PM   #104
cille
creepycute

There definately is an element of pop music in his work I think - hard to separate rock from pop isn't it? His music basically has pretty definate structeres; verse - chorus - verse - chorus, well-known rock/pop chord progresses and so on.
I mean, it's not like it's atonal avantgarde jazz or anything, even though he experiements from time to time.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:41 PM   #105
Timeé
Intello

yes pop has changed into a bad word in terms of music. nobody wants to be "pop" anymore. it pissed me off when James Blunt's Record Company genred him as "rock" on Itunes. my sisters of course. i wouldnt listen to the bastard with a 9 foot earwig amp.
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:43 PM   #106
droovin
A Hoi-Hoi

To be honest, I don't really mind James Blunt. Basically because I bought his CD on the release date, like 5 or so months before anyone started going "Oh yeh have you heard about this guy?"

The thing that annoys me about it all is how popularity pretty much wrecked any credibility he may have had

My Band

My Usual Hangout
Old 09-22-2006, 08:44 PM   #107
cille
creepycute

^well I think his songwriting wrecked it before anything else, but maybe that's just me
Old 09-22-2006, 08:47 PM   #108
droovin
A Hoi-Hoi

Haha fair enough. I bought it because I got an email saying that he was going to be big. Put it this way, if they (I don't exactly know who "they" would be like, but oh well) got rid of him, they'd have to get rid of Ronan "yes, I covered Iris" Keating. Ohh I can't stand the man!

My Band

My Usual Hangout
Old 09-22-2006, 08:59 PM   #109
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
Lisa never sounds like a 'pop' vocalist. Her voice is soulful...

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:18 PM   #110
Bumpman

This is really going to the heart of what criticism can be. The fact is that there are probably only a few hundred people in the world who can sing like Lisa, and yet people feel justified in talking about her talent as if she were invading Damien's potential. Most of us, in our lives, will never create anything on the scale of what she and Damien have done together over the last few years, we simply don't have the creative capacity to take an idea and run with it to a point where millions of people begin to notice... And considering that, how can any of you feel qualified enough to say that any integral element of what the band does is so lackluster that it can be dismissed out of hand?
Old 09-22-2006, 10:24 PM   #111
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
Most of us, in our lives, will never create anything on the scale of what she and Damien have done together over the last few years of hand
dont judge "us"
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:39 PM   #112
cille
creepycute

^tis true tho
Old 09-22-2006, 10:42 PM   #113
Bumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeé
dont judge "us"
Things don't get made by hoping, it's 'doing' that's the trick. When you've made something better then "O", then you'll have the stones to back up dismissing someone else's talent. Until then you're on the sidelines.

Last edited by Bumpman; 09-22-2006 at 10:44 PM.
Bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:58 PM   #114
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

is this gonna be the reccord that makes him number 1? and will that make everyone turn up their screwy little noses at me callng me sooooooooooooooooooo much of a conformist sheep?

Lisa is someone damien choses to work with, therefore she is PART of his music. as much as his voice and his guitar. Her voice seems different in 9 crimes than in say Silent Night. Who's to know, it's still lush.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:40 PM   #115
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

its delicate and emotional...and to quote wheels. soulfull
Old 09-22-2006, 11:49 PM   #116
cille
creepycute

and to quote father Jack: "DRINK!"

(yeah I'm drunk)
Old 09-23-2006, 12:28 AM   #117
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Lisa's voice soothes the soul. Damien and Lisa together> Perfection, sensory overload. Simply they feed off each other.
I do love Damien solo ..
I think Lisa softens him a bit, he seems more vulnerable with her. I will take Both any way I can get them.

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:17 AM   #118
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

first off - damien's NOT pop (not in my universe anyway) and neither is lisa for that matter..

but honestly i had a twinge of disappointment when the song first started and it was lisa singing.. i was expecting damien (and i warmed up to it as soon as his voice came in) and in this particular instance i don't think her voice suits the song, vocally and especially lyrically. i've found myself listening to other songs lately too, where i wished it wasn't lisa singing but damien alone..

no one can deny that lisa has a lovely voice and many of the songs on "O" wouldn't have been the same without her.. i was immediately impressed by the fact that damien shared the stage with two women, i think it brings a unique and yeah, maybe "softer" element to his music.. but i don't really listen to hear lisa. i appreciate her contributions but i don't think she's integral, as in he wouldn't still be absolutely amazing without her..

and it's not jealousy, i'm just not a huge lisa lover like some folks.. it's also not a criticism, just an opinion, but i personally like the song better with damien singing it. i love this version more and more the more i listen to it but it still feels a little forced or awkward to me or something and i find myself waiting for damien to come in..
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:13 AM   #119
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Without Lisa Damien would just be another "nice singer-songwriter". Only nice. But with Lisa it brings his music to a higher level. Blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
but honestly i had a twinge of disappointment when the song first started and it was lisa singing.. i was expecting damien (and i warmed up to it as soon as his voice came in) and in this particular instance i don't think her voice suits the song, vocally and especially lyrically. i've found myself listening to other songs lately too, where i wished it wasn't lisa singing but damien alone..
I for one had a twinge of dissapointment when I heard Damien's first lines in this song...I mean, he sings so bored, without passion as if he's just gotten out of bed. But the more the song goes on it gets better and he warms up, than the song is alriiiight for meeee.
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:26 AM   #120
Johan PV
Eskimo Fan

I'm not totally agree with you. Damien, alone, it's just awesome, incredible. Did you listened him in a gig? I was on Paris (le trianon), last year, and he was alone, and he was.... the best I ever listened...
Althought I have to recognize that Lisa have a great voice too, and I love listen together.

I love the song 9cirmes. I listened a long time ago in a video in internet, but maybe on the video damien sing strongest (and better for me) than in the new CD. But well, I will like and buy the CD....
Johan PV is offline   Reply With Quote