Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-14-2006, 07:07 PM   #1
Max
Eskimĺ

Default El Rey Gig Setlist/Review - Lots of old songs and live favorites.

Wow - what a show!

The show started at 9pm and lasted for 2 hrs and 20 min. They played a lot of old songs and live crowd pleasers, Vyvienne performed The Flaming Lips’ “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots," solo on Piano, and a few new songs. After "Animals" Damo commented that they had finally released the new album but added, "Now we just have to learn to play the songs."

Here are a few of my thoughts on the show.

Incredible show at an awesome venue. All band members seemed to have a good time and Damo joked around a lot.

It seems that the band was more comfortable with the older stuff and with the exception of "Coconut Skins" (which was the best new song at the El Rey), 9 Crimes and "A.B." the new songs still need a little work.

"Rootless Tree" which sounded beautiful on KCRW the other day (and is one of my favorites on 9) didn't seem to work as well last night.

Well, that's all for now. Great, Great, Great show - and very promising for the upcoming tour.

Here is the setlist as I recall it (might have forgotten a song somewhere, but should be pretty accurate).

01. Cannonball
02. Delicate
03. I Remember
04. Rootless Tree
05. Childish
06. The Animals Were Gone
07. Volcano
08. Then Go
09. Coconut Skins
10.The Professor
11. 9 Crimes
12. Vyvienne Long solo on Piano – The Flaming Lips’ “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots”
13. Eskimo
14. Elephant
15. Toffee Pop
16. The Blower's Daughter

Encore
17. Accidental Babies
18. 20 Minute Medley:
Amie
Rat Within The Grain
Lonelily
Grey Room
Bottom Shelf
Cold Water (Full Version).
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
Adelaide
Eskimo Princess

oooh he sang Toffee Pop? aw I would love to see him do that song live!

anyway, glad you had a good time... damn.. I wish I lived in LA.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:35 PM   #3
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

wow toffee pop, lonelily and bottom shelf

those are songs he hasnt done live in a while

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:35 PM   #4
ste_swann
Stupidest Eskimo

Wow...it sounds amazing...and he played Lonelily! I have never heard a live evrsion of it, I wonder why he doesnt sing it more often, it's such a perfect song! And bottom shelf too, but of this I've heard at least 2 recordings...
ste_swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
AllThatLies
Eskimo Regular

all songs in the medley were about 1 verse & chorus, not full songs. a recording will be out soon
AllThatLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:58 PM   #6
jonjin
Eskimo Baby

Wow... amazing. Interesting that they played the old songs first...

JJ
jonjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:02 PM   #7
Didactic Destiny Scemer
Eskimo Misdemeanor

he also played cross eyed bear in the medley and something else, i'm just running blank right now though.
Didactic Destiny Scemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:27 PM   #8
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

The Setlist:

Cannonball
Delicate
I Remember
Rootless Tree (on piano - only one **** You per chorus)
Childish
The Animals Were Gone
Volcano
Then Go (Damien on first verse, Lisa on second)
Coconut Skins
The Professor/La Fille Danse
9 Crimes
Vyvienne solo on piano - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Part 2
Eskimo
Elephant
Toffee Pop
The Blower's Daughter
Accidental Babies
Medley of Amie/Rat Within the Grain/Lonelilly/Grey Room/Cross-eyed Bear/Bottom Shelf (one verse of each song)
Cold Water

He only played for about 2 hours - show started an hour late at 9, and ended at 11:05. I don't think he was ready for a gig, but that he was doing it to promote the new album. He didn't even have a big enough amp to make the most fantastic sounds he usually makes. It was just a teeny tiny amp, and Tomo didn't have a full drum kit. Damien didn't seem to have a lot of conviction about it - couldn't figure out what he wanted to play next, didn't have a lot to say, etc. But regardless of that, it was an AMAZING show. Ian bet that he would play more songs that weren't on any album than he would play songs from the new album, and technically I guess he was right. Toffee Pop was my fave right behind Accidental Babies. It was An Evening with Damien Rice, so we didn't have to sit through an opening act, but we did wait 2 hours for the show to start, on top of the time we waited outside in line. It was definitely worth it, but at 8:55 I was starting to get pissed. It was good enough that I don't feel bad about missing the shows next month.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:40 PM   #9
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Here's my review... from the front line touching the stage!!

CANNONBALL- He appeared first on stage solo and did Cannonball just with the guitar.
DELICATE- Then the band joined him for Delicate which was great too.
I REMEMBER- This was incredible, beyond words. I'm still amazed at how well Lisa sings. She has such an amazing voice and she sings so softly. She really looked like a princess yesterday, with that sort of hippy-tiara in her head!! The ending of I remember was amzing, so powerful...
ROOTLESS TREE- IMO it was faaar better than the radio version. I didn't like the dragged yoooooooou, works far better with f-k u! And for the chorus Lisa was singing with Damien and it was amazing. And I like that they're trying to do different things with the songs, changing the rhythm and the structure, that's what all artists should try and do with their songs, you got the album versions, then go on tour and change them and try to make them better, or at least different...
CHILDISH- Wasn't expecting this one... was quiet calm...
THE ANIMALS WERE GONE- Wow, amazing... He started first in the wrong key and had to start again, seemed to have trouble with the lyrics in the beginning... That's such an incredible song!!! Lisa joined him in the chorus, but softere than in Rootless tree... Nice!! Think she was also playing a bit of an acoustic guitar here...
VOLCANO- Classic!! Makes you wish there were more Lisa/Damien duets in 9...
THEN GO- Incredible!!! Damien started doing the first verse and for a moment I thought he was gonna do the whole thing alone but Lisa then did the 2nd verse, so beautiful. Makes you wish it was in 9... The ending was also very powerful and heavy.
COCONUT SKINS- Similar to the album version. Lisa had some sort of maracas and she sang the chorus with Damien.
THE PROFESSOR- Biggest surprise of the night... for me at least, LISA DID THE 2ND VERSE!!!! Has she done in before??? Wow, unbelievable... so Damien did the first verse, perfect, great, and then Lisa did the 2nd one but changing all the "I" to "He", so she sang " he's the professor and I think he should know, what makes me come, what makes me stay...". They also finished with the short French part, without the "la pluie" part.
9 CRIMES- Damien moved to the piano for this one. The first part with Lisa on vocals is incredible, so mesmerizing!!! Short but beautiful!!
YOSHIMI BATTLES THE PINK ROBOTS- Here Damien asked for some wine and talked a bit, yep, the impression was that they were not 100% ready, good they have an extra month to practice now. Then he said what he wanted now was to listen to Vyv play... I thought she was gonna play on the cello but she moved to the piano and did Yoshimi, which was amazing, pure genious!!! This woman really has talent, not only she can play cello but she plays piano as well!!! Really really beautiful!!
ESKIMO- Great, loved the ending with both Lisa & Damien singing in Finish!
ELEPHANT- That was amazing, that's one of my favourites and it was impressive, how the song keeps building up and goes stronger and stronger. He clearly sang "thorny', which makes sense to me. Damien is really good at rhymes and wouldn't rhyme"horny" with "horny"... One of the highlights for me!!!!
TOFFEE POP- Wasn't expectuing that at all!! He never played it during the summer... Great!
THE BLOWER'S DAUGHTER- Perfect!! Amazing to see your favourite artist singing your favourite song ever from 5 ft distance!! \

encores:
ACCIDENTAL BABIES- With a long 3-4 minute intro. He had also problems in the beginnign with the lyrics, but caught up and was really beautiful, so sad but full of emotion. Halfway thru the song, I realised Vyv was not on stage, so we were not gonna get the beautiful ending from the KCRW... there was not even a piano ending, he just finished with What About me. At the end he joked that we should be in theraphy if we liked such depressing songs!!
THE MEDLEY- I think it lasted like 10 min, not 20. First he did AMIE, vyv played the cello amazingly here, then RAT WITHIN THE GRAIN, which was pretty short, 1 min max, then LONELILLY also quite short, GREY ROOM, super short, I think he only did the 1st verse, 45 sec max, then a gorgeous CROSS EYED BEAR, which was a bit longer than the rest and reaaly nice on the guitar, and he finished with BOTTOM SHELF which was nice.
COLD WATER- Perfect ending, they both sang incredible and Damien was very emotional in the last bit. Great ending!!!
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:09 PM   #10
Beevers_uk
Esquimal Conducido Pasión

Location: In My Sugar Coated World, Filled With Angels And Love And Happiness And... And You.

Hes playing Lonely again

- Im Not Who You Think I am, I Slipped A Stranger Inside -
...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
- You'll Be My Muse, And I'll Be Your Poet -
...~My Myspace Thingy~...
Beevers_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:12 PM   #11
Dwahvel
Swan Diver

I hate when shows are that late too

How cool that they did "Then Go." I love that one. So I'm assuming Lisa was there?
Old 11-14-2006, 10:20 PM   #12
Niko
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
She really looked like a princess yesterday, with that sort of hippy-tiara in her head!!
Ouch! Sounds like a nasty headgear accident there...
Old 11-14-2006, 10:22 PM   #13
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

Accidential Babies with a 3-4 minute intro! You mean he's made it longer.
Hmmmm....

Looked like a good show though.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:22 PM   #14
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

So has Lisa ever sang the 2nd verse of The Profesor before?????
Old 11-14-2006, 10:24 PM   #15
Niko
Eskimo Regular

Yes, she has. There's a live recording of it out there somewhere. I had a copy for a while, but the sound quality went really bad at the end - painful feedback and glitching, as I remember - so I got rid of it. I'm sure someone here must still have it...
Old 11-14-2006, 10:26 PM   #16
damosmymuse
Eskimo painter

borneoman...
didacticdestinyschemer borneoman and i were all right by you...
up on the stage...

i agree with most of what you said...

it was such a treat to see then go/childish/ and toffee pop....
and i LOVED the medley....

too bad we didnt get to meet up
damosmymuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:07 PM   #17
mdww
Eskimo Baby

also, the last 3 songs of the main set Elephant, Toffee Pop and The Blower's Daughter sort of segued into each other which was really cool, ie at the end of Toffee Pop he started humming the melody to Blower's Daughter before going into the song properly.
mdww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:08 PM   #18
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

ohhhh... silly me, I thought Lisa doing the 2nd verse in the Professor was a world-premiere...

It was my first time seeing Lisa and I think I'm still in shock!! That's what I call singing!! I hate it when singers shout and scream to show they have a voice, a softer beautiful voice is a million times better...

And she looks beautiful too!!! She was wearing a 60's-style black dress, red stockings with a hole in her left knee!! and boots!!! And on her hair she had this thing, not a tiara, like a diadem, made of balls of different colors... cannot describe it properly, I lack vocabulary on hair ornaments maybe someone took pictures and can post them
Old 11-14-2006, 11:32 PM   #19
AllThatLies
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlttrGrrl
He didn't even have a big enough amp to make the most fantastic sounds he usually makes. It was just a teeny tiny amp, and Tomo didn't have a full drum kit.
ahem...ACOUSTIC SHOW.....
Old 11-14-2006, 11:33 PM   #20
AllThatLies
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Building
Accidential Babies with a 3-4 minute intro! You mean he's made it longer.
Hmmmm....

Looked like a good show though.
that song's long and boring enough already in my opinion. i was just waiting for it to end
Old 11-14-2006, 11:34 PM   #21
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThatLies
that song's long and boring enough already in my opinion. i was just waiting for it to end
*gasp* don't swear!
xx
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:39 PM   #22
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

it not just me

Just skip it, its faster.

on the plus side, it'll be the song for me for a loo break or going to the bar.

Last edited by Daniel; 11-14-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:55 PM   #23
eamo_rice
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
And she looks beautiful too!!! She was wearing a 60's-style black dress, red stockings with a hole in her left knee!! and boots!!! And on her hair she had this thing, not a tiara, like a diadem, made of balls of different colors... cannot describe it properly, I lack vocabulary on hair ornaments maybe someone took pictures and can post them

Did the diadem-thingy look like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lisa-cut.JPG (38.9 KB, 412 views)

Last edited by eamo_rice; 11-15-2006 at 12:14 AM. Reason: adding a photo link
eamo_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:42 AM   #24
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Yep!!!!!!!! That's the hair thing!! Hard to describe eh?
Old 11-15-2006, 12:45 AM   #25
eamo_rice
meh

yeah, reminds me of some sort ofa child's toy or like beads on an abacus! weird...
eamo_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:13 AM   #26
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
ahem...ACOUSTIC SHOW.....
Ahem - tell that to Damien he was the one trying to loop everything through that tiny little amp.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:14 AM   #27
bryce5.23.88
Eskimo Friend

i was in the front by lisa and vyvienne. both of them were beautiful. vyvienne is so elegant, and everything about lisa is so ****ing dreamy.
bryce5.23.88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:26 AM   #28
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko
Yes, she has. There's a live recording of it out there somewhere. I had a copy for a while, but the sound quality went really bad at the end - painful feedback and glitching, as I remember - so I got rid of it. I'm sure someone here must still have it...
She did it at both the Tower Theatre and Beacon Theatre gigs in April of '04. I can't remember offhand if she sang it at the May 3, 2004 Beacon gig too...
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:29 AM   #29
AllThatLies
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlttrGrrl
Ahem - tell that to Damien he was the one trying to loop everything through that tiny little amp.
point is it was supposed to be a bit of a quieter show and it was. tomo clearly was laying off the drums and using different sticks for this reason as well
Old 11-15-2006, 07:47 AM   #30
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
point is it was supposed to be a bit of a quieter show and it was. tomo clearly was laying off the drums and using different sticks for this reason as well
And my point is that Damien doesn't do "acoustic" when he's got like 10 pedals. It defeats the purpose of looping if you try to stuff it all into a tiny amp. The looping parts were not quiet at all, and would have sounded better if he had the right equipment. I wasn't complaining about Tomo's drums - just observing and letting people know...