Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 03-26-2007, 03:55 AM   #31
Mark Hogan
Eskimo Regular

Bummer for sure. Bands are like husbands and wives and can't stand each other some times. It's us children that suffer the most.
Mark Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:58 AM   #32
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hogan
Bummer for sure. Bands are like husbands and wives and can't stand each other some times. It's us children that suffer the most.

Beautifully put, just perfect.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:30 AM   #33
VolcanoesMeltUDown
Eskimo Friend

This makes me feel really empty inside because without Lisa, Damien's eerie music is no longer eerie and beautiful. Well..it is beautiful but Lisa was the icing on the cake.
VolcanoesMeltUDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:50 AM   #34
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

this really really pisses me off! not to be an a**, but i'm angry!

I WANT THEM TO F*CKING PERFORME TOGETHER. DAMMMMNNNNIIIITTTTT!!!!!

well, i hope there is no animosity between the two and that their lifes go well as they choose different directions.

but, seriously, f*ck
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:04 AM   #35
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend

i am upset by this news. Got tickets to see damien for the first time in Portland. Am now debating if I should go at all. Whether people on this board admit it or not Lisa was an integral part of the band. The O album wouldnt be the same without her. The lead single off the new record also features her. So yes, this is damien rice's band, and its a damien rice tour but I bought the ticket a month ago thinking Damien, Lisa, and the rest of the crew would be there. The first time I heard Damien Rice was watching that one Vh1 countdown show, the summer of 03 I think. And it was the volcano video. What stuck out immediately was the tune, its simplicity, its power, the words, but also the way Damiens and Lisa's voices worked together to create this feeling of longing and loss.

Indeed he may have a fill in singer at the U.S. shows, but its not the same. Volcano, Cold Water, 9 crimes, the list could go on, but one thing is for sure, the power of the song is partly due to damien and partly due to lisa's voice and presence. Plus I must admit she is very easy on the eyes.

This certainly isnt the end of the world, but its disappointing, especially for those of us who wanted the full damien rice tour experience with all band members. I am pretty knowledged and learned in music, and cant think of too many bands where one of the main members quit midtour. Barring of course illnesses like for example Bill Berry leaving REM mid tour for an aneurysm.

We have the records to remind us of Lisa. But I just was under the impression, by people who had seen Damien and the crew live in the past few years, that he is mindblowing live. And I think some of that may be due to Lisa.

Damien Rice's music is really something special. It reminds me of my childhood, it makes me visualize what Ireland must be like, and it gives off a feeling of loss and longing that really hits home. Not too mention that the emotion of the music is just so clear and blunt and really intense. The emotion of the music really is like a bat to the head, its that powerful. Hopefully Damien Rice's band as it exists now, can continue to conjure up these feelings for me, but I do wonder...

I do think its very interesting how the official statement makes it sound like she was forced out of the band by damien. Did the person who relayed the original rumor, did they say that lisa quit 30 min before the show because she was upset and crying? It now seems like this could be a possibility.

Kinda cold if you ask me

Last edited by cheguevara6; 03-26-2007 at 05:07 AM.
cheguevara6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:53 AM   #36
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Arrow

I think it's really unfortunate that Lisa's no longer in the band but there is a point that needs to be brought up. Earlier in the Lisa quitting thread, I quoted BeatleBoogie as saying:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatleboogie
I'll just add that a little bird whispered to us that Lisa is happy. And another little bird said she'd be back - but the choice of words left not much hope that this meant back with Damo. I hope I'm wrong.
Or that the birds were mockingbirds...
*Beatlebooge later admitted that some of the guys in BellX1 told her this news.

Okay, so my question is this. If Lisa is happy, is there really any reason to believe that Damien bullied Lisa out of the band? The reason why I ask is that many people are saying stuff like "according to the choice of words in the official statement, it sounds as if Damo fired Lisa." I'm sure he didn't just walk up to her and hand her a pink slip while quoting Donald Trump . If anything, the official statement on damienrice.com further proves just how much control Damien really has over his music. At the end of the day, he's the boss and even though I truly wish things could have somehow been resolved in a different way, he's not the bully people are making him out to be. It just doesn't make sense.

I'm positive that this was a decision that had many layers to it and Damien didn't just wake up one day and say "Man, I'm gonna try something different..." If Lisa's happy, this obviously means she's okay with the decision. However, it's obvious that Damien was the one who sealed the deal and that Lisa didn't leave the band for the sole reason of pursuing a solo career. Vyv released an EP and she's still in the band and I'm sure Shane and Tomo have collaborated with others as well. At the end of the day, I still don't think they'll never sing together again. They're just too perfect to stay away from each other and maybe some time away is exactly what they need to make sense of things. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, perhaps? We can only hope.

Last edited by Valentino; 03-26-2007 at 05:55 AM.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:21 AM   #37
Delonelyman
Eskimo Friend

Thumbs down

Hell, i was in a Pearl Jam forum and someone wrote this bad new
I can`t believe it.
What`s up with Damo, first he cancelled the southamerican tour (at least Brazil was a chance), and now this...........

Lisa i never forget you.
Delonelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:26 AM   #38
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Lisa's talented. But Lisa is not a good fit for this band. Damien rolled with it for a long time, but more recently it seems to me that Lisa's presence has been holding the rest of the band back at times.

I hope she has future sucess, though I wouldn't put money on it, and I'm sure she'll still be around the same world since most of the band is on her solo album and such. After some time passes and things change, she'll probably end up working with Damien again, even, though not necessarily on a full album or on tour or anything.

But, really, the shocking thing to me is that it took this long for everyone to realize it.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:29 AM   #39
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delonelyman
What`s up with Damo, first he cancelled the southamerican tour (at least Brazil was a chance)
That's just not true. There was never a Brazil tour scheduled. There were shows being discussed, and some idiot in Brazil leaked them to a local newspaper which very much displeased DRM, but no concerts were ever scheduled. The entire tour was arranged basically on a "Let's see what we can work out and then decide if we want to do it" basis, and they ultimately decided they didn't want to.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:43 AM   #40
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

Damien wished her all the ebst ad dedicated the evening to her in Paris.. That tells me that maybe they're not the ebst of friends right now, but I think there's a great chance of them working together in the future.

Besides, I'm a fan because of Damien's lyrics and HIS song. Lisa was just a bonus. I saw him live without Lisa and it was just as an extrordinary experience as I had expected it to be!
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:44 AM   #41
garmonbozia
Eskimo Baby

very sad news indeed. I am going to see Damien for the first time in May, and it is sad that I may never see Damien and Lisa sing together live.

oh well, I guess it is not the end of the world....
....but this may very well be:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyRuc...elated&search=
garmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:23 AM   #42
Sjeng747
Eskimo Baby

this is really sad news and I'm upset that I won't be able to see those 2 performing together
Sjeng747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:46 AM   #43
nsenada
Eskimo Friend

I don't get it why it's such bad news? (E from the EELS changes his band almost every cd and he keeps on making great albums!) Lisa has a very nice voice, so whatever she would be singing in the future I'm sure that I would go and see her perform live. A couple more hours for the Brussels show this evening
nsenada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:02 AM   #44
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

i'm seeing them tomorrow and i'm actually quite looking forward to seeing them without lisa, i've seen damien three times before with lisa so it'll be interesting to see how the dynamic changes!
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:02 AM   #45
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

what a shame. roll on the best of.....
Old 03-26-2007, 08:16 AM   #46
foryou
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by empty.thoughts
I saw the band play one month and a day ago. It was the best concert I'd seen, but I was surprised to see the distance between Damien and Lisa. Maybe she does it in all the shows, but her body was turned towards Vyv and away from Damien, pretty much the whole show. It surprised me. I thought they would have been a whole lot friendly toward each other. I just found it interesting.

Whatever the case, I'm so glad I saw them before the split.
Best of luck, Lisa.

Same here, I observed same at the Cologne gig. No little eye-contact between them.
Perhaps it was Damien's jealousy which made the situation explode. No private jealousy, but musically.
He is the songwriter, he is the artist, who gives the band the name, but the audience was always running mad for the very few moments when Lisa took the mics.
Listen to the existing bootlegs, you will it find proved.
So, I do not know, what his character is. We know him very impulsive and delicate, if something is going wrong.
So I can imagine that Damien could no longer deal with the Lisamania. Something was growing beside him on stage which was never meant to grow in such way and effect to the audience.
The circumstances in Munich, when Lisa quit the band between soundcheck and the concert,and now the official statement, does not make me believe, that it happened in a consensual way, and this makes me really sad.
For me the image "Saint" Damien has got some deep scratches.
foryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:18 AM   #47
nsenada
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna
i'm seeing them tomorrow and i'm actually quite looking forward to seeing them without lisa, i've seen damien three times before with lisa so it'll be interesting to see how the dynamic changes!
I'll back that one :-)
nsenada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:19 AM   #48
Manu~
Eskimo french friend

Angry

Chitte ... @ merde en français ;-( y'a pas d'autres mots...

what is the last show who has made with damien???

Lille ?
Manu~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #49
Devilock
Eskimo Droog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d
That's just not true. There was never a Brazil tour scheduled. There were shows being discussed, and some idiot in Brazil leaked them to a local newspaper which very much displeased DRM, but no concerts were ever scheduled. The entire tour was arranged basically on a "Let's see what we can work out and then decide if we want to do it" basis, and they ultimately decided they didn't want to.
I think the plan was to do a South American tour in January, but Damien decided to go into the studio.

Anyways, bad news.
Devilock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #50
Kim
Eskimo Baby

Hi. A new member here. Decided after a couple of years reding on this page that I'd join and become an Eskomo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik mabry
That really is a shame. I'm not too surprised, actually. I was thinking the other day, to myself "Lisa would be a killer solo artist.." but, would she really?

What songs has she been a part of where she wrote the lyics? Isn't it all Damien's amazing lyrics?

I wish her luck, because I know Damien will succeed, at least with me, with or without her.
I do agree with you on that. It's a shame that she's not a part of the band anymore but I'll never stop listening (and buying future Damo albums). And like you I'm having some doubts. Can she really succeed as a solo artist? She won't have anyone to write those beautiful songs that we love so much. But I wish her all the best.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:31 AM   #51
vidiot
Eskimo Baby

This is how I interpret the news posted on Damien's official site.

"After much thought and discussion Damien has decided that his professional relationship with Lisa Hannigan has run its creative course. As a result Lisa will not be appearing at any of the upcoming live shows. Lisa is embarking on her own artistic endeavours and there are no plans for them to work together in the foreseeable future. The current band on tour at the moment are - Damien Rice, Joel Shearer, Shane Fitzsimons, Tom Osander & Vyvienne Long."

Discussion means that it was more than one person...unless Damien was talking to himself again. Professional doesn't mean friendship. Upcoming and foreseeable future doesn't mean forever. Meaning Damien and Lisa are still friends but she will not be singing with Damien and the band for the remainder of the upcoming shows. It doesn't mean that she won't sing with Damien on his next album or that we will never see them play live again, just not "for the forseeable" future.

We shouldn't pry into their business and try to figure out why this happened, who said what, or what decisions were made. Who knows, maybe Lisa wasn't happy being on the road so much and wanted to go home see her family and record a her own album so she quit. I don't believe anything until I hear it direct from the source.

Yes this sucks for all the fans that wanted to see the two of them together, but it shouldn't turn you away from Damien. I wish Lisa the best in her new path and I hope this change will allow Damien to continue to expand on his creativity.

If you have been listening to the live stuff out lately...or been to any recent shows you will notice that Damien is moving back to his harder roots, louder, more energetic, experimenting with loops and more epic crescendos. Lisa to me was always the softer, operatic and folksy side.

Last edited by vidiot; 03-26-2007 at 09:33 AM.
vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:44 AM   #52
foryou
Eskimo Friend

I would love to agree with you to all the points.....

BUT fact is that it happened impulsively and escalated within 2 hours.
You may still believe that all has been well planned.

Not me.

Nevertheless it would be fine if we could find a taping source of the last
(historical) concert of both: Berlin 2007-03-15

Last edited by foryou; 03-26-2007 at 09:48 AM.
foryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #53
Polar
Eskimo Friend

How is he going to sing Eskimo? Or Volcano? or songs that really do need a woman.
Polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #54
PolarBear
Eskimo Baby

Some things in life may change.... Good Luck Lisa.
do you miss my smell?
is he bold enough to take you on?
do you feel like you belong?
does he drive you wild?
or just mildly free?
what about me?
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:21 AM   #55
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy
As I said in the other thread im surprised that it seems like it ws Damien that has done the severing and not Lisa due to wanting to pursue a solo career. Its a shame but what will be will be
Why are you surprised? He's (or his management) the one who put out the statement, it's natural that it would put out the idea most favourable top his point of view i.e. "I have decided that I don't want to work with that bitch anymore, she's fired. Good riddence."

If Lisa had issued the statement it may have politely said "Damien's a prick, I've spent 8 years putting up with his **** and I'm bored now."

Somewhere in the middle you'd find the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik mabry
What songs has she been a part of where she wrote the lyics? Isn't it all Damien's amazing lyrics?
On the upside he wrote all the clunky ones too.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #56
happy2bhere
Eskimo Regular

Tis sad news for sure. Really, really wanted to hear i remember live, may never happen now. But, damien is a pure genius and will hypnotise us when live what ever the circumstances. Appreciate that some may be quite upset by the news (as am i) and this is the logical place to express this - but its not like she died! Hope i haven't offended, just my opinion.
happy2bhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:29 AM   #57
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
If Lisa had issued the statement it may have politely said "Damien's a prick, I've spent 8 years putting up with his **** and I'm bored now."
Old 03-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #58
cestoz
Eskimo Regular

i thought the wording of the statement was strange, but then theyre no longer controlling lisa so they dont need to put a gloss on it/ make it seem amicable..

i blame snow patrol!
Old 03-26-2007, 11:31 AM   #59
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

This really sucks

Now I feel really fortunate to have seen them perform together in Hamburg though.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:34 AM   #60
Juzzza
Eskimo Regular

If you love someone - set them free.

I'm glad I got to see the whole band in Berlin.

http://www.myspace.com/justinthorne
http://www.myspace.com/jtintheshadows
Juzzza is offline   Reply With Quote