Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 09-01-2007, 10:59 PM   #1
eRich097
Eskimo Baby

Default What are Damien's concerts like?

I'm about to go my first in Boston on the 5th and I'm really exciting because I've never seen him life...so what are his shows like? What should I expect? It's at the bank of america pavillion and I've never been there so I'm interested is anyone else going?
eRich097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

i know this is annoying to hear, but if i were you, i wouldnt ask, in the endeavor of having absolutely no expectations and the ability to just be in the moment, instead of wondering if he'll do what he did at that gig, or if he'll do that funny thing he did at the other one, or if he'll do thing he did on that one intense video on youtube of the gig he did over yonder...you get the point im sure
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:11 PM   #3
Nine
Inuit

Hey there

All i can say is your head will be absolutely f*cking blown off.

I've seen him 5 times in total, and not one of those times has been the same, so I can't really say what it will be like - Damien doesn't work from a set list or anything. What it's like will depend on his mood. If he's feeling like a happy chappy that night, then the show will be really fun, and you'll have a laugh and be amused by his funny tales about 'Mr Penis' and such....

If he's not feeling like a happy chappy, the show will be intense (well they're always intense but often in different ways) and an emotional rollecoaster - he may not talk much and he'll seem genuinely pained.

The improvisational jams that he and the band do so often will definitely happen - but again, if he's happy, then they'll be upbeat and cooool, if not, they'll be wierder and more intense, emotional and fascinating.

Either way, you will have an amazing time, he will completely blow your mind! I envy you, seeing him for the first time, it's gunna be great! Also, chances are you'll get to see his Cheers Darlin' routine - I won't spoil it by telling you what happens.

Enjoy yourself!!
xxx
Old 09-01-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenM
i know this is annoying to hear, but if i were you, i wouldnt ask, in the endeavor of having absolutely no expectations and the ability to just be in the moment, instead of wondering if he'll do what he did at that gig, or if he'll do that funny thing he did at the other one, or if he'll do thing he did on that one intense video on youtube of the gig he did over yonder...you get the point im sure
oops, you're right. Maybe I shouldn't have said all that.... I guess I wasn't too specific about anything.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:04 AM   #5
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

I've seen him once and it was one of The greatest experiences ever!

.... so hope you enjoy it a loooooot!!

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:23 AM   #6
adecca
igloo tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
Hey there

All i can say is your head will be absolutely f*cking blown off.

I've seen him 5 times in total, and not one of those times has been the same, so I can't really say what it will be like - Damien doesn't work from a set list or anything. What it's like will depend on his mood. If he's feeling like a happy chappy that night, then the show will be really fun, and you'll have a laugh and be amused by his funny tales about 'Mr Penis' and such....

If he's not feeling like a happy chappy, the show will be intense (well they're always intense but often in different ways) and an emotional rollecoaster - he may not talk much and he'll seem genuinely pained.

The improvisational jams that he and the band do so often will definitely happen - but again, if he's happy, then they'll be upbeat and cooool, if not, they'll be wierder and more intense, emotional and fascinating.

Either way, you will have an amazing time, he will completely blow your mind! I envy you, seeing him for the first time, it's gunna be great! Also, chances are you'll get to see his Cheers Darlin' routine - I won't spoil it by telling you what happens.

Enjoy yourself!!
xxx

God, you painted such an awesome picture/experience. I've not seen him live, either. I considered trying to get down to L.A. this month (I live in San Francisco) but can't negotiate it.... ideally, I'd love the chance to see him perform in a more intimate environment (If that would be possible given him large stardom) but would definitely endeavor any venue given the opportunity... who knows, maybe his next U.S. tour will grace San Francisco with his Irish presence!
adecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:22 AM   #7
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

i can sum it all up in one word for u...

Unique.
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:49 AM   #8
CSL
didactic destiny schemer

Thumbs up

Quote:

That is REALLY amazing advice, LaurenM... I'm a seasoned Damien show goer (and general concert goer) and I constantly struggle (especially with my favorite artists that I have seen many times, like Damien) to walk into a show with no expectations.... I need to force myself into the moment more... we're just so lucky to be there, at that exact point in time... it's most important to just enjoy whatever experience we are having, without comparisons or preconceptions.
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:27 AM   #9
FightthegdFight
Eskimo Regular

In simplest terms: The show will be the best and worst thing to happen to you.

It will set a new bar as far as live music is concerned. No concert will match its intensity and euphoria. At least it did for me and every person I've taken to a Damien Rice show.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
Calum
Eskimo Regular

I've never seen a better artist live, and i've seen Martin Simpson (incredible folk guitarist) - no one else compares in my opinion.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #11
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by adecca
God, you painted such an awesome picture/experience. I've not seen him live, either. I considered trying to get down to L.A. this month (I live in San Francisco) but can't negotiate it.... ideally, I'd love the chance to see him perform in a more intimate environment (If that would be possible given him large stardom) but would definitely endeavor any venue given the opportunity... who knows, maybe his next U.S. tour will grace San Francisco with his Irish presence!
He played Oakland in the Spring......

And I completely concur he is totally intense live - have seen him three times on this tour and each totally different musically but also experientially as his mood certainly influences the nature of the show. He - and Ray LaMontagne in my opinion - are so much more intense live than on their respective cds. Can't wait - NYC then Nashville!
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
bjmo11
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRich097
I'm about to go my first in Boston on the 5th and I'm really exciting because I've never seen him life...so what are his shows like? What should I expect? It's at the bank of america pavillion and I've never been there so I'm interested is anyone else going?

youll have a blast, this will be my 4th time seeing him, and ill be at there at the pavillion too, its a really nice venue, really chill atmosphere. anyways yea i could do without seeing the cheers darlin routine, once was enough im my opinion, i really want to here unplayed piano with the whole video montage and stuff.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #13
RonjaGirl
Eskimo Regular

All I can say is that it is awesome!!
I went to the concert in Berlin and it was my first Damien concert ever!! I wasn't really a great fan of him before I saw him live, but I sure liked his music a lot before. I just wasn't wasn't paying the attention that his music deserves...well, the concert kind of opened my mind and drew my attention to his music, the lyrics and him...and from that moment on I pretty much fell in love with Damien!! Well, I hope you get the point of what I was trying to say. His concerts are amazing!

Quote:
Thanks Lauren,
I think that is a really good advice! When I went to my second concert, I had so many expectation after reading all the stories about his concerts, I was kind of dissapointed about some things and I really regret that I had these expectations, because after the concert I was like...why didn't he do it that way and why didn't he play this song and why wasn't he talking as much...
Now, after thinking about the concert again and listening and watching some parts on youtube, I really think the concert was great and unique and I wish I could see it again to enjoy it more.
Well, I hope that I can go to another concert soon and this time I try not to have any expections!

Lisa on Oct 3rd 2008!!
RonjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:35 PM   #14
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

Absolutely awful live, give me the tickets to spare your distraught.
Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #15
eRich097
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moves-My-World
Absolutely awful live, give me the tickets to spare your distraught.

Hah, not a chance. Nice try though, it was clever
eRich097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #16
adecca
igloo tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotyalex
He played Oakland in the Spring......

And I completely concur he is totally intense live - have seen him three times on this tour and each totally different musically but also experientially as his mood certainly influences the nature of the show. He - and Ray LaMontagne in my opinion - are so much more intense live than on their respective cds. Can't wait - NYC then Nashville!

I am pretty sure I decided last night I am going to go down to L.A. on the 20th... **** it! Drive down in the morning, catch the show, drive back afterward... you inspired me (all of you, really)... Anyone ever been to the Greek in L.A.?
Old 09-02-2007, 09:46 PM   #17
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by adecca
I am pretty sure I decided last night I am going to go down to L.A. on the 20th... **** it! Drive down in the morning, catch the show, drive back afterward... you inspired me (all of you, really)... Anyone ever been to the Greek in L.A.?
Awesome!!! go for it! I have heard the Greek is awesome - I know Marti (borneoman) has been so imagine he will chime in....

One suggestion - that is one long day you have ahead of yourself - and I fear the return will be on your mind so you don't fully enjoy the show - if it were me I would grab a room for the eve and return the next day - go to expedia.com to find a cheap room - the hotels near LAX are always cheap and not half bad (just don't walk around at night!!).

And we want reviews...!!

Have a great time!
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:42 PM   #18
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^ The Greek is amazing, outdoors, in the Hollywood hills, resembles a Greek amphitheater, and it's also the last day of the tour so it will be incredible!!!

Some of us were talking about carpooling from the Bay Area to LA and back, so pm me if interested!!!!!
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:05 AM   #19
adecca
igloo tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
^ The Greek is amazing, outdoors, in the Hollywood hills, resembles a Greek amphitheater, and it's also the last day of the tour so it will be incredible!!!

Some of us were talking about carpooling from the Bay Area to LA and back, so pm me if interested!!!!!

You'll have to forgive me as I am new to this forum (and forums in general) but I don't know what "PM" means... regardless, you are in the Bay Area, Borneoman?
My only problem with staying the night is that I have to find a sitter for my birds (long story, but i live with a few parrots)... I'm working on it... found some tickets on LA Craigslist that look great... do you have tickets? Have you ever purchased tickets via Craigslist -- could be sketchy... Either way, I am pretty sure I am going to make it happen!!
Old 09-03-2007, 01:19 AM   #20
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

He he, pm = private message
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:38 AM   #21
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
yeah it will be amazing. i reckon he will collapse onstage after the last song screaming "THANK GOD ITS OVER" from exhaustion...or something to that affect...

Last edited by LaurenM; 09-03-2007 at 02:37 PM.
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:53 AM   #22
poe11371
Lost Eskimo

Default My Damien Rice "hat trick" in Boston, this year that is

I will be going to that show here in Boston on Wednesday as well. The last time was at the Opera House and before that at the Orpheum. At the previous shows he did a much loved death metal version of "Blower's Daughter" and a theatrical version of "Cheers Darlin" and Vyv did a cover of "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" ... hoping she does "Random Man on the Motorway" this time around.

The only time of the show that "drags" at all is when he does "Amie" - he rambles on about the story behind it, and jams into Eskimo/Sex Change with a sonic wave blast that can lull you into a trance. And speaking of rambling - he does do it from time to time, you can sense how nervous he is about public talking, not singing.

BTW - Where are you sitting?
poe11371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:09 AM   #23
Topspin047
tennis pro

A damien rice concert is like good sex

not gonna lie