Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 04-02-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend

Default The crowd's constant "Where's Lisa" calls

Its interesting, and of course I have no idea what transpired before that gig that lisa left, but its interesting that if peoples reading of the official statement is correct, that Damien kicked lisa out, and its facinating how the fans who call "where's lisa" seems to really get Damien upset, seems like he shot himself in the foot there.

Anyways, what do you think will be his reaction if these "where's lisa" calls continue gig after gig? I can imagine the u.s. shows the calls will only increase in intensity.

At a certain point people will stop yelling these things, but the question is, when will that be?
cheguevara6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
songbirdrach
Eskimo Friend

I reckon they knew it was gonna happen,the shouting and stuff.
So i guess it's no suprise for the band to hear them and i guess it will just become something they will all learn to deal with.
Was wierd though at the scala gig when someone shouted out "where's Lisa?" and Damien shrugged and said "i dunno" then jokingly asked around the band who looked a bit mehhhhhhh about it all.....but of course they're not used to this so dealing with it will just become easier i guess.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

I'm glad to say no one at the Manchester gig shouted out "where's Lisa"

He doesn't need her.
Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

In the past (while Lisa was still in the band) the shouting of "Where's Lisa?" was often met with a dead-pan "I dunno" from Damien. So, no change there really.

I remember listening to a bootleg from one of Damien's previous American tours. Lisa was absent for a few gigs and someone shouted "Tell Lisa we miss her". To which Damien replied "We don't". After a slightly uncomfortable pause (as least as I remember it) he laughed and said he was joking, but I got the feeling he had just spoken the truth.

I have the recording, I'll post an mp3, if I can find it later.

Last edited by Banjaxed; 04-02-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Banjaxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

Let's not forget that it's a stupid question.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
Rusholme Ruffian
Eskimo Regular

I'd have to say like, I'd miss Vyv a whole lot more.
Rusholme Ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #7
Fool
Eskimo Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Baby
Let's not forget that it's a stupid question.

Not really. All the Damo fans I know (not from here) didn't know that Lisa had gone untill I told them. Not everyone uses EskimoFriends, or DR.com or even reads music news in the newspaper. And I imagine that'd be the same reason why it used to happen before she'd left; not everyone that goes to the gigs even knows that the band tours with different lineups.

If I didn't use this site I still wouldn't know that she'd gone.
Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I think the funniest Where is Lisa is from the Palladium 05 gig. This girl shouts Where is Lisa and Damien says She's not here tonight and the girl says I Want my Money back!!!! And then Damien says something like The ticket says Damien Rice SOLO!!!

So you see, people were shouting for Lisa even when the ticket said solo... So not sure is gonna stop now
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:49 PM   #9
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool
Not really. All the Damo fans I know (not from here) didn't know that Lisa had gone untill I told them. Not everyone uses EskimoFriends, or DR.com or even reads music news in the newspaper.
I'm not saying the whole world should know about it, I'm just saying it's stupid to be shouting
things like that during a concert. But that's just my opinion.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:11 PM   #10
World Cafe
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
I'm not saying the whole world should know about it, I'm just saying it's stupid to be shouting
things like that during a concert. But that's just my opinion.
Given how many IRrelevant things people shout during shows, asking where a known, key-to-many songs member of the band is is not "stupid" at all, and is totally predictable.

We can argue all we like about what value Lisa did or didn't have/add/bring to the music and live shows, but at the end of the day, she's been there for most of Damien's touring, now she's not there, and it's not stupid at all for an audience member to ask - maybe she just had a cold or her best friend is getting married and other wise she'd be there? If people don't know she's not in the band anymore, it's not a stupid thing to ask AT ALL.

Nor would it be if suddenly Vyv or Tomo wasn't at a gig.
World Cafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:29 PM   #11
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Cafe
If people don't know she's not in the band anymore, it's not a stupid thing to ask AT ALL.
Again: opinion. I happen to find people who shout things during a concert to be annoying.
And seriously, why the **** are they asking it anyway: sure they wanna know, but if Damien
wants to say something about it he probably will. And if he does not, then hold your
breath and try to look it up when you're home. No need for shouting anything.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:04 PM   #12
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusholme Ruffian
I'd have to say like, I'd miss Vyv a whole lot more.
The loss of Vyv would be a disaster. Not as a musician, but as a person, a character, she is so addictive that I can't imagine Damien Rice without her. This cannot be said about Lisa. (Although I think that she was one of the things that made Damien Rice Damien Rice and not any other singer-songwriter.)

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:14 PM   #13
Rusholme Ruffian
Eskimo Regular

Exactly. Vyv is, in my view, integral to the band in all senses of the word.
Rusholme Ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #14
World Cafe
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Again: opinion. I happen to find people who shout things during a concert to be annoying.
And seriously, why the **** are they asking it anyway: sure they wanna know, but if Damien
wants to say something about it he probably will. And if he does not, then hold your
breath and try to look it up when you're home. No need for shouting anything.
You're right, it is simply opinion. Because in my opinion, it's ridiculous to think that people would or should shut up and keep their comments/questions to themselves when the only time you may ever get to ask is while the person is onstage, that night, in your town.

Don't get me wrong - people who shout out during quiet parts of songs or when the performer is trying to talk bug the crap out of me. But during those minutes when people yell out requests or try to be funny, to think people should just all shut up and keep their comments to themselves... I'm glad you don't have control over that for others, cuz some of the best/funniest moments at many shows I've seen are when someone in the audience says something that interests/amuses/sparks the performer, and things can often take off even higher due to those fan-performer interactions.

So yeah, to each their own opinion... and you can definitely keep yours, cuz I think it's really silly.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:59 PM   #15
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
cuz I think it's really silly.
I can live with that.

Btw, I agree with you on the part that shouting can lead to fun moments, but I think there's
a difference between 'funny' stuff / requests and personal questions. And I consider this to
be a personal question and therefore I find it annoying. What I said about shouting was
more aimed at the quiet moments and at the personal questions, so let me clear up
that misunderstanding And no, I don't control that, nor do I want to. But luckily
I have the freedom to be annoyed by it and to express that. Thanks...

Last edited by Accidental Baby; 04-02-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Accidental Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #16
MacrossGirl
No hero in her sky..

Sadly, people here in Dallas Texas will not even know. Lisa was not here last time round either. DANG IT!!! Anyway, there were maybe a few (counting me!) hard core fans. I mean by that, people who actually knew who he was. I talked to everyone around me in front row and they were all there for Fiona apple. Only one knew. So luckily, no one yelled where is Lisa. I think its a stupid thing to shout. I mean, a hurtful thing. My point is, I dont think people that no so little, will shout out about something so important. Or I would hope not.
( I cant believe I will never see Lisa live. That makes me SAD!! Deep in my soul, feeling of loss sad!!)

I think it REALLY bad when that one blonde girl kept yelling "DAMIEN I LOVE U!!!!! I mean really.. oops, wait.

That was me. hehe

http://www.myspace.com/5859320

Last edited by MacrossGirl; 04-02-2007 at 11:16 PM.
MacrossGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:06 AM   #17
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

you should have yelled "DAMIEN WE WANT TO **** YOU!" like these two girls did in minneapolis

that got his attention
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:36 AM   #18
Sjeng747
Eskimo Baby

hahaha that would be weird :P
Sjeng747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:23 AM   #19
Volcano
Eskimo Regular

Not about Damien and Lisa but still

When I went to Nick Cave solo show, people were shouting "Where's Blixa?" (Blixa Bargeld "NIck Cave and the bad seeds guitar player from 1983 - 2004) and mr Cave said: "Didn't you hear, Blixa died" and then "I dont know where the **** Blixa is".
I just wanted to say, we'll all miss Lisa, but these "where is she" calls can really piss Damien off.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:24 AM   #20
MacrossGirl
No hero in her sky..

YOU SAW NICK CAVE LIVE??? *falls off her computer chair*

You lucky duck. damn it. Only my hero..
what was he wearing? Now that would
have a whole different thing for me to
yell. hehe

Volcanos really DO melt you down!
oxoxoxoxo

Old 04-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #21
World Cafe
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacrossGirl
Sadly, people here in Dallas Texas will not even know. Lisa was not here last time round either. DANG IT!!! Anyway, there were maybe a few (counting me!) hard core fans. I mean by that, people who actually knew who he was. I talked to everyone around me in front row and they were all there for Fiona apple. Only one knew. So luckily, no one yelled where is Lisa. I think its a stupid thing to shout. I mean, a hurtful thing. My point is, I dont think people that no so little, will shout out about something so important. Or I would hope not.
Macross you know what's really funny about what you just wrote? You think it's hurtful for someone to shout out "Where's Lisa" when they know so little about the situation... but, hello! It's exactly because they know so little that it's kinda crazy for you to expect them to know it's a sensitive subject!!! If she's on the album, on the videos, and you've vaguely heard people talk about her being great live, when you show up for the show and she's not there, how is a casual fan supposed to know there's this big, contentious thing happening???

A casual fan would have no way to know it was "hurtful". All they know is "Hey, where's that female singer who sings half of many of the most famous songs???"

As for the fan who DOES know what's going on, like I just said in another thread - my opinion is, if you're a performer, and you have stand out other performers in your band, and then they're gone, and you comment publicly in a bitter way about it... it is TOTALLY FAIR GAME that audience members will comment on it. (Not during quiet song moments or when he's trying to speak, that's rude, but at those times when everyone starts yelling, why not?)

You care about the music, you care about the show you're paying to see, and while it doesn't give you the right to follow Damien to his hotel or yell at him outside the venue, or to even demand an answer to any questions... you certainly have the right to yell out whatever random things the show moves you to yell if Damien chooses to put himself on the stage. Just like he has every right to ignore you, or say something pissy, or say something funny, or answer honestly.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #22
Bumpman

And we've all seen Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. With fond memories of Stagger Lee...
Old 04-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #23
Timeé
Intello

and how does this neverending concert frolicking affect the weight of your pocket?
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:19 PM   #24
Bumpman

Not as badly as you'd think... I have no other expenses.
Bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:25 PM   #25
Timeé
Intello

yeah..i mean cutting your hair since sixteen seems to really have done the trick...
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:04 PM   #26
Mr Benn.
Eskimo Regular

I don't think anyone in Edinburgh called out about Lisa although generaly calls from scottish crounds are completely incomprehensible so all Damien could really say was "emm yes..."
Should I wipe up the stain?
And if I'm low
Can I drown in this rain?
I guess I'm no good
I guess I'm insane
Mr Benn. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:14 AM   #27
MacrossGirl
No hero in her sky..

Quote:
Macross you know what's really funny about what you just wrote? You think it's hurtful for someone to shout out "Where's Lisa" when they know so little about the situation... but, hello! It's exactly because they know so little that it's kinda crazy for you to expect them to know it's a sensitive subject!!! If she's on the album, on the videos, and you've vaguely heard people talk about her being great live, when you show up for the show and she's not there, how is a casual fan supposed to know there's this big, contentious thing happening???A casual fan would have no way to know it was "hurtful". All they know is "Hey, where's that female singer who sings half of many of the most famous songs???"
Dude.. did you READ my quote? Or do you not get it? Take a chill pill. Have of it, IF you read and grasp it, is being funny. But if you want to take it there, it IS in bad taste to shout about something you know is touchy. And if you, meaning YOU, go to a show knowing the situation, and yell trying to get a rise out of him.. your just being an ass. I mean, to quote you "you certainly have the right to yell out whatever random things the show moves you to yell if Damien chooses to put himself on the stage." I can not believe you would think this acceptable. That is far from "random".

People here have said it before. Damien and'or Lisa owes you nothing just because you bought a ticket to a show. And we do not know what transpired between them. Frankly, ITS NONE OF OUR BUSINESS.

You took my eveyy word out of context. For instance when you put "If she's on the album, on the videos, and you've vaguely heard people talk about her being great live.. blah balh".
If you notice I wrote no one knew who HE was, much less his people in the band.

If you want to gripe about something I say, fune. But stay with what I wrote. sheesh I am NOT going down this road again. I said my peace.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now onto more important things.. BUMPMAN!!!!!!! DAMN u! How have you not told me this story before Mr? Sheesh

Old 04-04-2007, 12:24 AM   #28
eamo_rice
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moves-My-World
I'm glad to say no one at the Manchester gig shouted out "where's Lisa"

He doesn't need her.

no, there was definitely one or two "where's lisa?"s, cos i remember groaning profusely.

lets not forget, that a lot of people at the show prob dont check out either eskimofriends or the official site
eamo_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:12 AM   #29
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
Not as badly as you'd think... I have no other expenses.
Hm, do you live in a crypt and go man-hunting at night? Should I call Buffy?
Old 04-04-2007, 12:44 PM   #30
Bumpman

Oh go eat some flowers Homer... I mean Cille.