Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 08-27-2007, 01:29 AM   #1
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Default Is Damien more tolerant with noisy audiences now?

I'm really surprised at how tolerant Damien has become with noisy audiences. You just have to listen to any of the bootlegs from the UK during this last tour or the Marlay Park clips on youtube, everybody singing along, talking, shouting... and he seems to be accepting it well... I remember a friend telling me how in Manchester this year the audience was very disrespectful, some guy even making baboon noises, but Damien said/did nothing, just ignored it all...

In the past he had a reputation for being pretty intolerant with people talking, phones et al... I was just listening to the concert from San Diego 04 and he literally says the following:

“There is a really really nice ocean out there that loves to hear people’s voices and loves to hear them talking…So go there… If you guys over there wanna do that…It’s just… just out the door”

^ Harsh eh?

So has he accepted that he's made it big and he's gonna attract all kind of audiences to his gigs????

By the way, Damien was in a kinda angry mood all thru that San Diego gig, but at least it produced one of the best live versions of INSANE I've ever heard with a really intense freak-out, he goes insanely insane
check it here:
http://www.4shared.com/dir/2208578/4...0/sharing.html
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:17 AM   #2
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Amazing Version!!!
This performance has replaced my "past" favourite version ... the one he played at the Troubador a couple of years ago.

THANK U !!

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:27 AM   #3
SoCal
Eskimo Pie

That was the best version I've everh heard. It gave me the chills...

Where is San Diego did he perform this? I don't remember him coming in 04...
Old 08-27-2007, 02:28 AM   #4
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

He is getting more tolerant, yet I hope he goes back to being annoyed very soon. I don't like those people either, and so I wouldn't mind if he shot em down occasionally. I was rather amused when I read stories of how he wouldnt let places put on the air conditioning in sweltering heat, because he didnt want it to interfere with hearing him play. Didn't one woman pass out at one gig even? Anyway, I kind of liked that good ole up-tight attitude, because it seemed like he cared more about it then. He probably is simply loosening up, but there is nothing better than a eccentric, crazed musician suffering (and making others suffer) for his art.
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:35 AM   #5
viv
Eskimo Regular

At his most recent Indy gig, these pricks in the first 3 rows (the pit) kept getting up to go to the loo. He asked them if they couldn't hold it, but did so in a pleasant tone. Then he sang a pretty funny toilet song all about having a tiny bladder and drinking too much.......etc. I wish I had that mp3!
viv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:43 AM   #6
SoCal
Eskimo Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by viv
At his most recent Indy gig, these pricks in the first 3 rows (the pit) kept getting up to go to the loo. He asked them if they couldn't hold it, but did so in a pleasant tone. Then he sang a pretty funny toilet song all about having a tiny bladder and drinking too much.......etc. I wish I had that mp3!

I would want that if anyone out there has it...
Old 08-27-2007, 03:06 AM   #7
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Sorri it's not from 04, actually it's from 03, Cane's Mission Beach Nov 21, 2003.

Must be the best Insane ever!!! Love it when he sings 'What Is There to Gain?' and then he screams 'Nothing'!!! In fact he's pretty intense all thru the set. Before Insane, he does Prague and the very ending is crazy too, he keeps singing 'Pack my suit in a bag/All dressed up for as SHAG'!!!

Ahhhh and I think Indy was taped. Mot sure why it isn't out yet, prob everyone's on holidays
Old 08-27-2007, 03:20 AM   #8
SoCal
Eskimo Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Sorri it's not from 04, actually it's from 03, Cane's Mission Beach Nov 21, 2003.

Must be the best Insane ever!!! Love it when he sings 'What Is There to Gain?' and then he screams 'Nothing'!!! In fact he's pretty intense all thru the set. Before Insane, he does Prague and the very ending is crazy too, he keeps singing 'Pack my suit in a bag/All dressed up for as SHAG'!!!

Ahhhh and I think Indy was taped. Mot sure why it isn't out yet, prob everyone's on holidays
It is the best insane. Do you by any chance have any other recordings of him when he came to San Diego last May? Or any more from that set he played in 03?
Old 08-27-2007, 03:28 AM   #9
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
By the way, Damien was in a kinda angry mood all thru that San Diego gig, but at least it produced one of the best live versions of INSANE I've ever heard with a really intense freak-out, he goes insanely insane
check it here:
http://www.4shared.com/dir/2208578/4...0/sharing.html
Borneoman.......hahaha what do you mean "by the way".........this isn't a casual event....... this is Christmas!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you

So so so so amazing!!!!!! I loooooove it!! My goodness.....why has the man not released this masterpiece yet!!!! Gosh.....he should just release THIS recording!!! Better yet.....he should just release a whole cd of different versions !!!!

Last edited by Lindsay; 08-28-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:43 AM   #10
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

SoCal, I think the 07 San Diego show was not taped, but the 03 one was torrented a while ago... Probably at Dimeadozen, but not sure if people are still seeding it. The one from 06 supporting Fiona Apple was there too.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:31 AM   #11
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

i love it.. he probably played it just for that reason.. i hate it when people are yapping away or doing w/e instead of listening to the concert.. ur there to listen and watch to him, so do so, chat with ur friend later... when damien is on stage, it's damo time

thanks for sharing!
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #12
lalla32
Eskimo Regular

WOW! Borneo, thank you so much for that version of Insane! Absolutely breath-taking! I agree about the need of having a record made only by different versions of Insane!

Is there a torrent around for the San Diego gig? If not, Borneo, would you be such a prince to upload Parague too? I love that song to death...
lalla32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:49 PM   #13
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^ Added Prague
Old 08-27-2007, 06:58 PM   #14
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Yaaaaay for a whole cd of Insane!!!!

thanks again borneoman....just downloaded Prague, you're right the ending is incredible......looooove it!!
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:05 PM   #15
lalla32
Eskimo Regular

Gah, you are the best!

Thank you!
lalla32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:22 PM   #16
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

I love this sharing site of yours, what a gold mine!

I liked the idea of the intollerant damien though! I can't imagine myself pulling off such a thing when I'm playing in some dirty bar and can't hear myself over the audience; all lookin the other way. I also like the idea of the artist demanding the audience do something more than just pay their way in, and to make being in the audience more of a difficult position than that of a passive ignorer. Even if it is irrational at the time... especially if it's irrational infact. It's good for people to be challenged and to have watch someone they're a fan of but doesn't fit the cogs of what they expect, humiliate them lol.

I hope he snaps at me when i see him lol, I'll be mortified!