Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 05-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
Canadian Island
Eskimo Regular

Question Ferry to Ireland

Hey guys,
I'll make my way to Ireland soon. I feel the urge to go there earlier than I planned in the beginning of this journey.
Does anyone have experiences with travelling from France to Ireland taking the ferry? So far I found out there are two direct sealines from french harbours and landbridges via England. I'm travelling solo, no car, just my guitar and a bag. Which way would be cheapest / most comfortable?
Canadian Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
verenita
... trusty and true ...

well, i haven´t taken a ferry for that long trip, but i´m quite sure that you will find a flight ticket cheaper than the ferry (i just checked and the plain tickets by ferry are €64 one way).

i´ll reply your pm later on... best wishes and i see you here
Old 05-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Canadian Island
Eskimo Regular

Yeah, but I'd need 2 flight tickets, I guess. I'm taking the guitar in a softcase and wouldn't give it to people throwing it around. A hardcase is just too heavy to carry around once I'm in Ireland. I thought I'd hitchhike and then take the ferry. But I'll research flights too.

Last edited by Canadian Island; 05-02-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Canadian Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Hope you don't get sea-sick... France to Ireland can be quite choppy...

I don't know about specifics though as I've not been on it in 20 years... I have the impression that it's only cheaper if you want to take a family and your car. Ryanair etc should be cheap, but you might not get 2 seats together unless you pay extra for priority boarding. Aerlingus / AirFrance might work out as cheaply

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Ryanair has a special service x musical instruments. you pay extra and it goes in a special place in the plane for delicate stuff, doesn't go with the rest of luggage... they wouldnt allow you to bring it to the plane as hand-luggage done it once and works

cannot remember the exact price now but it's like the 2nd or 3rd page when you book... it's not cheap but probably still cheaper than the ferry
Old 05-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
Ryanair has a special service x musical instruments. you pay extra and it goes in a special place in the plane for delicate stuff, doesn't go with the rest of luggage... they wouldnt allow you to bring it to the plane as hand-luggage done it once and works

cannot remember the exact price now but it's like the 2nd or 3rd page when you book... it's not cheap but probably still cheaper than the ferry
I'd trust Kurt Kobain more with a guitar, than Ryanair. Also don't fly with them out of principle. The most c*ntish company I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with.
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote