Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 10-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #31
tessalasset
Eskimo Regular

It wasn't until reading some of the responses in this thread that I remembered the actual first time I ever heard him. Same as some of the fans here... middle of the night on VH1 and the Volcano video came on I believe in fall of 2003. I remember quickly getting out a piece of paper and writing down his name and the song name cause I was so awestruck by it. I don't remember when O came out here in the US but I couldn't stop listening to it. Went to a party in January 2004 and met a girl who was also obsessed and we bought tickets to see him at the Wiltern in LA in March 2004. The rest is history. Also I vividly remember The Frames opening for him and Glen had just recently broken his leg. He had a full leg cast on, and had to sit on a little fold out chair in the middle of the stage to do his set, and even being a freakin invalid, he still completely floored me. Such an amazing frontman, hobbling all over the stage. I remember telling myself to make a mental note to keep track of that guy. Bought Set List the following month and all of a sudden I was just drowning in all this incredible Irish music. Spring of 2004 was an excellent time for me.
tessalasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:06 AM   #32
madhat181
Uber Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
It wasn't until reading some of the responses in this thread that I remembered the actual first time I ever heard him. Same as some of the fans here... middle of the night on VH1 and the Volcano video came on I believe in fall of 2003. I remember quickly getting out a piece of paper and writing down his name and the song name cause I was so awestruck by it. I don't remember when O came out here in the US but I couldn't stop listening to it. Went to a party in January 2004 and met a girl who was also obsessed and we bought tickets to see him at the Wiltern in LA in March 2004. The rest is history. Also I vividly remember The Frames opening for him and Glen had just recently broken his leg. He had a full leg cast on, and had to sit on a little fold out chair in the middle of the stage to do his set, and even being a freakin invalid, he still completely floored me. Such an amazing frontman, hobbling all over the stage. I remember telling myself to make a mental note to keep track of that guy. Bought Set List the following month and all of a sudden I was just drowning in all this incredible Irish music. Spring of 2004 was an excellent time for me.
When you say "the rest is history", does that mean you married the girl you went to the concert with?
madhat181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #33
tessalasset
Eskimo Regular

HAH I love that you took it like that. More like the rest is history, I became a lifelong Damien Rice fan. I'm still friends with that girl, tho she moved to London to start a circus.
tessalasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:36 PM   #34
madhat181
Uber Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
HAH I love that you took it like that. More like the rest is history, I became a lifelong Damien Rice fan. I'm still friends with that girl, tho she moved to London to start a circus.
She went to start a circus? That's a even better ending than getting married.
madhat181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:14 AM   #35
Jonboiuk87
Eskimo Baby

When I was at school in 6th form (in 2003-2005 ), me and my mates would often jam all our favourite songs together in the music block during lunch/free periods. One day my friend started playing cannonball and I just remember thinking "thats one hell of a sexy riff" but didn't end up taking the curiosity much further.

A few months later, roughly 2004, I went on a A Level biology school trip to Norfolk. And we happened to be at the same youth hostel as a couple of other schools! One day I was playing my guitar on the mini bus (don't ask why lol) and I started talking to a red headed girl from one of the other schools, basically, we started talking about music and she asked if I had heard of Damien Rice, to which I replied, I had but never listened to any of his recorded stuff!! It then concluded with me lending my "Cat Stevens Greatest Hits Album" and she lent me "O" which I listened to on repeat for the rest of the trip....And from that point....I'VE BEEN HOOKED .....

....I never thanked that Red head girl...but if she happens to be on here and read this then, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!
Jonboiuk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:29 AM   #36
Shaftell
Eskimo Friend

I'm ashamed to say from the Shrek(2007) movie. Oh well, if it wasn't for that garbage movie, I'd probably have never heard his music.
Shaftell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:11 AM
rachlanee
This message has been deleted by rachlanee.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:07 PM   #37
herbie25
Eskimo Baby

I heard cannonball. Loved it and took a punt on the album. 'O' is still my favourite album and one i don't ever see being bettered
herbie25 is offline   Reply With Quote