Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Trading

Old 12-13-2003, 02:06 PM   #1
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

What kind of equipment is needed? Is it expensive? How do you get clear sound (ie. no talking/singing from crowd)?
Is the recording in digital format and then converted to .shn etc??

And then the software side of the process, how do you go about that?

Im interested in taping gigs myself but havent a clue where/how to begin.</font>
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
daol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 03:03 PM   #2
Alistair
Eskimo Regular

yeah i've often wondered the same thing, and also if you get searched when going into a gig do they convescate any taping equipment or just not care?
Alistair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 03:28 PM   #3
Scon
Eskimo Regular

I'll try and give this a go without using any of the technical terms. Hope that makes it easier [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img] If you want to get great recordings, it can be very expensive, yes. It will become a compromise between cost and quality very often.

The most basic recorder to go for would be the minidisc recorder. There problem is that they can only fit 80mins per minidisc, so you will need to switch mid-show. Three other widely used recorders are DAT recorders, mp3players*, and laptops.
The laptop is obviously very bulky, and can only be used in situations where you have permission to record. It's not really even a consideration for most. The same often applies to a DAT recorder, and they're quite pricey.
The best you can hope for is an mp3 player. I put the asterix there, because there's only a few of them that will do the job. They need to be able to record, be able to record as a wav (rather than mp3), and have the right connection (a 'line-in' or 'mic' socket... whoops promised I wouldn't do that!) Ones that are capable of this will have a mini hard-disk inside them, and this will need to be at least 2.5gb big to fit a show. The creative 'nomad' jukebox is a popular choice.

For mics, you need to keep in mind that there are 2 main types. Ones that pic up sound all around, and ones that pick up sound in one direction. The latter is preferable, as you can aim it at the speakers. They will still pick up some audience noise, but I see this as a benefit in most cases (to create the atmosphere).
Another thing to keep in mind is their power. Cheap mics don't have this problem (and suffer for it), but you'll usually need to also have a power source for the mic, often referred to as a battery pack. Some mics have a battery compartment inside them and negate this. Mics that use the recorder for power have very weak recording levels and will usually pick up a lot of backgound noise/hiss.

If you want to record without being noticed, it's probably best to get a small clip-on mic. Some of them have great sound quality. Your best bet is to find out the bands stance on recording, and try and get some sort of policy from them. Most bands in the US have a pre-written 'recording policy' that you can show at a venue if there is a problem.
If you're not allowed to record and get caught, usually they will ask you for you minidiscs and batteries. You can usually stay though. I know somebody who was recording David Gray in the Point and was asked to leave, but this is rare.

It sounds complicated, but it's not really. There is always the easy option of sticking a computer mic into a standard minidisc recorder. It'll work, but don't expect it to sound good.

Hope this helped somewhat. Don't hesitate me to go over anything if it doesn't make sense. I should stress that I'm not an expert in this area, so if anybody feels like correcting me - go right ahead. Jon is probably the most knowledgable in this area, that I can think of.

Scon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 03:52 PM   #4
Funky Avocado
Eskimo Regular

I highly recommend before you buy anything you check out these two sites which I believe are probably the most popular on the net for tapers IMHO:

http://www.oade.com/Tapers_Section/index.html

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php

As for getting your rig confiscated, I would check with your local laws. In the northeast, USA, they can not take your equipment, only ask you to leave if so inclined. In some states like NY, they are even responsible if they cause any damage to your gear like some pinhead bouncer beating on your gear because he doesn't think you are packing up fast enough. I love NY
Funky Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 07:02 PM   #5
dmbit
Eskimo Regular

Another bad thing of minidiscs, and mp3 players as well, is that they're very sensitive to vibrations, so if you move too much they may skip. The only solution is to be very careful, or to buy a DAT recorder, but they are very expensive. But my suggestion is: don't economize on mics! They are the most important thing. You can have the best recorder with a cheap microphone and it will sound crap. On the other way, with a good microphone you can make decent recordings even on a crappy equipment. Good mics cost a lot, but if you want a good sound, they're the only way (except if you have the permission to take the sound from the soundboard directly, but that should be obvious, isn't it? [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]).
dmbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 01:31 AM   #6
slein
Le Friophile

cheap microphone that can easily be hidden in a button hole of you shirt or in a baseball cap: $ 65

average MD player with two different input sensitivity settings: $ 150.

good recording of the 11-4-2003 damien rice concert in munich: priceless

[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

i even taped an extremely loud Ween concert last week, and the sound is great!
slein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 03:11 AM   #7
nightingale333
Eskimo Friend

If you're buying your first pair of mircophones, get the AT831's ( from soundprofessionals.com ) Granted they may seem a little pricey at $130 a pair, but they are so worth it ( plus, they are perfect for stealth recording ) I use them, and I love them.

As far as the Nomad jukebox goes - I have mixed feelings on these. I use one, and while doing the actual recording has been relatively easy - the battery that comes with it is not the greatest. Mine is totally shot and I've had to order another ( which are difficult to find ) Luckily, I was able to tape a friends show tonight by plugging into the soundboard ( which sounds great, by the way ), but still...

Then again, this may be a mute point, since I'm not even sure the Nomad III's are still being manufactured...
Old 12-15-2003, 03:39 AM   #8
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Thanks for all your help lads!! [img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img] That should be more than enough to get me started!!</font>
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
daol20 is offline   Reply With Quote