Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 02-12-2004, 10:23 AM   #1
tony
Eskimo Baby

Just wondering what the views are of anyone who was there. My personal view, and i really hate to say this cause am a big fan of DR & Co, but it really didn't do it for me. And by that i mean that the sound quality to my ear was not great at all. Don't know if this problem is venue linked.

Another thing, does any of you understand the difference between a large stadium concert and a gig in a small venue?..........well let me enlighten you. One of them you can scream, shout, sing and basically make as much an ass of yourselve as you feel you have too. The other is quite simple..........YOU SHUT THE F**K UP!!!!!! We had a guy beside us singing that would have had Simon Cowell taking up arms..........TWAT!!! (who lets these people out)

One other thing. I wish Damien would stop putting these long instrumental bits before or at the end of a song. You really don't have to do it man, your songs are master pieces, leave them as they are.

Hope i've not knocked too many noses out of place with my views. Just remember that thats all they are........my views.
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:51 AM   #2
Alantaylor
Eskimo Baby

Mate, totally agree with you regarding the people shouting etc, me and my girlfriend travelled down from Aberdeen to the concert and were getting really p**sed off with the shouting, laughing, heckling and general poor behaviour of some of the people. We were standing near on the balcony at the back left and there was this guy who just spoke to his mates for nearly the whole gig. Some guy next to him told him to shut up which worked, but even though, why bother going to see DR just to speak through the whole gig[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img].

There were also a group of girls behind us who decided to shout and scream during every quiet bit, again totally ruining things.

It was my first time at the venue and at first impressions I though it looked quite good, as you say, thought the sound could have been a bit better but certainly not the worst I've heard at a gig.

Thought the music was amazing though,even with a broken guitar string at one point.

Totally wicked version of Volcano at the start, totally blew me away, and woman like a man was also something else
Alantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 11:20 AM   #3
tony
Eskimo Baby

We were about 20 feet from the front and i didn't see him break a string. Not only are my ears going but seems my eyes are too. Was it during I Remember? And what did you think of him not performing Cannonball? If you ask me he seemed totally pissed off with the lot of us, and can you blame him.

Anyone have any idea's ofhow we deal with the fucwit cabbage brigadethat seem to turn up from nowhere and ruin it for the rest of us? I had a idea oncethat involved the space shuttle the removing of tilesand re-entrybut the dumb f**ks went and done it without the cabbages onboard............ Americans
Old 02-12-2004, 11:35 AM   #4
jerry lee
Eskimo Friend

The same thing happened in Dublin last week - hope it's not a pattern that's developing. Is there a period in every rising artists career when the NME brigade or those that hover on the edge of chart vs coolawareness come out and conspire to f**k things up?
jerry lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 12:46 PM   #5
Alantaylor
Eskimo Baby

Tony,

Can't remember when the string broke but it was near the end of the gig, I think it was during I remember, he cahnged to an electric guitar for the remainder of the song, the string was fixed but it broke again near the end.

Overall tho, still enjoyed it v much but if you ask me the situation with ass**les at gigs is only going to get worse, same with people who insist on throwing cups of drink over the crowd, also saw this happenning at least once last night.[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

Don't think there is anyway around it tho. I would have thought that due to the limited amount of tickets for last night that only "proper" Damien Rice fans would have managed to get tickets. DIdn't even notice any touts hanging about outside[img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2004, 01:31 PM   #6
tony
Eskimo Baby

Alan, your certainly right about not seeing any ticket touting, i didn't see any tickets changing hands. As for how you dishtickets out to"proper" fans beats me......do i here someone saying IQ tests.btw, meant to ask you what you thought about the film running behind them. I kinda enjoyed it. Don't know if you recall how it started with the countdown from 30 and there was a bit where the person cut some felt and it said "please take your seats" I think Damien should havethem cut up some more felt with the words "NOWSHUT THE F**K UP". And Jerry, you certainly have a point, i love any conspiracy theory, just remember it's not the NME brigade, it's the cabbage brigade.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:57 PM   #7
Bumpman

The NME brigade is very real and just as bad, they make already good music too popular all at once and the band or performer just can't adjust, damien gets quite pissed off with prizes and the fashionable side of fame... soon enough though, he'll stop being "cool" and things will go back to normal.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:40 PM   #8
Alantaylor
Eskimo Baby

Tony,

Thought the film in the background was quite good, Also thought the candles were an excellent effect[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img], really sort of set the mood. Anyway, we've all been talking about how bad the crowd was, what about the music? What was your highs of the night? Mine had to be a stunning version of Volcano, Woman Like a Man or Amie. Anyway, just hope he bothers to come back to Scotland after the crowd. Maybe T-in the park but I would imagine the crowd there would be just as bad if not worse.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:27 PM   #9
tony
Eskimo Baby

I agree with you, Volcano, Woman like a man and Amie were best for me too. And as for whether he'll bother to come back to Glasgow, we can only wait and see. As for the T in the Park suggestion, i don't think its a great idea. The audience problem the other night i think comes form your T in the P and Glastonbury type events. Last time they saw him or more like first time they saw him was at one of these massive open air events, and you know what thats like. Then these air heads then get tickets for 3000 capacity venue and go into open air mega concert mode..........plamfs
Old 03-01-2004, 06:23 AM   #10
Enoch
Eskimo Regular

Folks, I went on holiday for a fortnight right after the Glasgow gig hence my delay in posting. After the moose dance thingy myself and 4 friends filtered to the front of thegig and wound up next to the very twats that pissed Damien off the first time. A group of around 4 pissed up Irish lads - not new fans or the NME crowd, they knew all the words to the unreleased stuff and sang along loudly and badly. I retreated to the back of the gig next to the bar they f**ked me off so much, this was after they hurled abuse at a female member of my group for kindly asking them to be quiet. That's my take on why he got angry and I must say he let the rest of the crowd suffer for these c**ts. I f**king love Damien'smusic but was disappointed with the gig. The venue was too large for him to go unmiked on Eskimo, even if every one had shut up the people at the back still wouldn'y have heard.

In short, yes he had the right to get pissed off, but not to let it affect the whole crowd. I sensed that the rest of the band didn't really agree with his Mr Angry set therefter.

Anyway, glad to be back [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2004, 08:41 AM   #11
FlyingCrow
Eskimo Regular

I think the unmiked eskimo was to make a point.

"how my eyes lose to those noble hands"
FlyingCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 09:18 AM   #12
Enoch
Eskimo Regular

Maybe so mate, but does he really need to make a point to the whole crowd (apart from those very near the front) for the sake of teaching a lesson tothe minority?

I don't like the idea of paying good money only to begiven lessons on gig etiquette !!

For the avoidance of doubt I was one of the ones who spent the whole gig in respectful silence.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:40 AM   #13
FlyingCrow
Eskimo Regular

When he first did it I wasn't all that sure he was doing the right thing, but the more I've thought about it the more I liked it. Even if the full crowd had of been quiet for the song he wouldn't have filled the room with his voice but it was just the notion that people, even the quiet ones, were missing out on something because of the loud minority. And when he sang "why come to a gig to talk all the way through" in the middle of it, well it said it all (to those that could hear him singing of course). Luckily I was at the front.

I was silent throughout aswell, shame everyone else wasn't.

"how my eyes lose to those noble hands"
FlyingCrow is offline   Reply With Quote