Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 10-29-2007, 07:43 AM   #1
clazkel
Eskimo Regular

Default Did Damien throw his plectrum into crowd at Wembley gig

Hi,

I have just bought a green dunlop plectrum on ebay as its supposed to be the one that Damien threw into the crowd at the gig at Wembley on 6/10/07. Did anyone who went notice him throw it into the crowd as i wasn't at that gig? The person selling it said he liked the gig but hes not a massive fan so he has decided to sell it. I hope it was Damien's, but i just wanted to know if anyone who was there saw Damien throwing it into the crowd.

Thanks

Wolverhampton-29th March 07, Oxford-21st June 07
Birmingham-2nd Oct 07, Nottingham-5th Oct 07
Cardiff-12th Oct 07
clazkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
Mikko
Eskimo Friend

I believe you should have asked this before you bought the plectrum.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
This has got to die
Eskimo Friend

Aye...

By the way I have a few from when my dad saw black sabbath years ago if you are intersted.
This has got to die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
Samart
Nothing unusual...

To me, and it is only MY opinion (but maybe yours too)... even it is the real plectrum I threw on that gig, I think it is not good buying it. Who knows if it is the real plectrum he used or not ? We should not encourage this kind of behavior. We should not buy these kind of things. Like a signed photograph... I think that's why he usualy don't sign autographs. But there is a huge gap between what we should do and what we do.
Samart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

damien doesn't strike me as a plec-throwing type of guy..
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
Nine
Inuit

i was there, and didn't see him throw one.... but i could be wrong.
x
Old 10-29-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

What the hell is up with that moody bugger?? What's next...a guitar??

Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:44 PM   #8
cille
creepycute

...his penis??
Old 10-29-2007, 04:57 PM   #9
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
...his penis??
Its a thing that is a bit hard to throw, you know. On the other hand, if Damien is jewish, he might have something to lob into the crowd....

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:17 PM   #10
Calum
Eskimo Regular

Ok.... see me as the samaritan thread hijacker, steering threads back from the realms of discuting nature and all logic....:

We don't know if he threw that plectrum, although i'd hazard a guess that he didn't.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:24 PM   #11
cestoz
Eskimo Regular

can i ask how much you paid for it? and do you intend to use it, or just put it on display or something?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:37 PM   #12
clazkel
Eskimo Regular

I know i shouldn't be encouraging it but i saw it on ebay and wanted it incase it had belonged to Damien. I paid £10 for it, probably a silly buy! The guy advertised it as he caught it when it was thrown. I didn't think it was something Damien would do and shouldn't have been so silly, Oops

I wouldn't want to do anything to offend anyone, thats why i have never taken pics at his concerts or recorded him with my phone as i know he doesn't approve.

Cardiff-12th Oct 07

Last edited by clazkel; 10-29-2007 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:09 PM   #13
Triskel2004
Eskimo Friend

Default Memorabilia

Always a dodgy subject as to how genuine something like this is. I am sure there are some of the senior members who can at least corroborate if indeed Damien uses Dunlop plectrums as a starting point but looking at pics of the Arena gig I am thinking he would have had to have put soem power in to making a pick fly at least 50 feet from the stage over the pit where the press etc were but who knows he would have definitely been seen attemptong that and it doesnt sound his style as I have never seen him do that at any gig I have seen. I think the only "genuine" article one may collect is a setlist which of course he doesnt use! Doh! Just my thoughts. Its only a tenner but a tenner well made for someone I fear......
I have a Roger Daltrey pick from when the Who played Peel in TT this year in the Isle of Man which his guitar tech gave me for helping backstage and was quietly chuffed(wasnt a used one as it happens) and then found everyone backstage had them so kind of took the edge of it being special. Still I wouldnt sell it on cos it doesnt really mean anything to anyone else.
Triskel2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:27 PM   #14
clazkel
Eskimo Regular

Umm, yeah, i think i have been had, but its only a tenner

Cardiff-12th Oct 07
Old 10-29-2007, 10:39 PM   #15
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triskel2004
Always a dodgy subject as to how genuine something like this is. I am sure there are some of the senior members who can at least corroborate if indeed Damien uses Dunlop plectrums as a starting point but looking at pics of the Arena gig I am thinking he would have had to have put soem power in to making a pick fly at least 50 feet from the stage over the pit where the press etc were but who knows he would have definitely been seen attemptong that and it doesnt sound his style as I have never seen him do that at any gig I have seen. I think the only "genuine" article one may collect is a setlist which of course he doesnt use! Doh! Just my thoughts. Its only a tenner but a tenner well made for someone I fear......
I have a Roger Daltrey pick from when the Who played Peel in TT this year in the Isle of Man which his guitar tech gave me for helping backstage and was quietly chuffed(wasnt a used one as it happens) and then found everyone backstage had them so kind of took the edge of it being special. Still I wouldnt sell it on cos it doesnt really mean anything to anyone else.
I think 50 feet is a bit of an exaggeration hehe... it was probably about 2 or three meters max at Wembley. Plymouth was about a foot - there wasn't even a barrier.

x
Old 10-30-2007, 02:15 AM   #16
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
thank you for saying pick, this plectrum business used to confuse the hell out of me before i learned euro music lingo. i honestly don't know what kind of pick damien uses. now i'm curious..

and hello.. you got to help out backstage at the who?! i would have rather had pete townshend's pick but still, that's very cool!
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #17
Calum
Eskimo Regular

Oh yeah, another thought - even at any distance, especially such a long one, it's pretty difficult to throw a pick because it's so small and thin, it just sort of... tumbles in the air.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:28 PM   #18
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum
Oh yeah, another thought - even at any distance, especially such a long one, it's pretty difficult to throw a pick because it's so small and thin, it just sort of... tumbles in the air.
You have to glue it to a rock

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Old 10-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #19
Calum
Eskimo Regular

Ahhh, but then you'll be done for assault if it hits anyone! =P
Old 10-30-2007, 02:10 PM   #20
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum
Ahhh, but then you'll be done for assault if it hits anyone! =P
Not if there are no witnesses. And there won't be, due to my chat-control device (for more information, consult the Cille appreciation thread). HA-HA-HA

Old 10-30-2007, 08:10 PM   #21
clazkel
Eskimo Regular

Incase anyone is interested this is what the add on ebay said:

This is a fantastic opportunity to own a piece of music history!

You are bidding on a green 'Dunlop Tortex' guitar plectrum as used by the incredible DAMIEN RICE at his concert in London's Wembley Arena - 06/10/07

I was in one the of the front rows of the audience and managed to catch the pick as it was thrown by DAMIEN off the stage.

I was at the concert with a friend and decided, not being a huge Rice fan (although he did give a pretty great concert!) to let somebody else have the chance of owning this fantastic item.

The pick is in a good condition but has quite a few marks and scratches - he has obviously used it well. Would make a great present for a true fan.

A chance to own this guitar heros secret weapon

Cardiff-12th Oct 07
Old 10-30-2007, 10:03 PM   #22
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

"A chance to own this guitar heros secret weapon"

lol. What bollocks. Can't believe anyone would spend £10 on something that's worth a tiny percentage of that. Whatever makes you happy I guess...

Lisa gave me a bottle of water once. How much would you pay for that?
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:06 PM   #23
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
Lisa gave me a bottle of water once. How much would you pay for that?
That depends on wheter she drank from it or not (engaging stalker mode)

Old 10-30-2007, 10:08 PM   #24
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Oh she drank from it alright. I was going to clone her from the trace amounts of saliva on it but then I thought that might be crossing the stalker boundary.
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:47 PM   #25
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Oh she drank from it alright. I was going to clone her from the trace amounts of saliva on it but then I thought that might be crossing the stalker boundary.
Hmm, that's borderline stalker alright, but I'm going to allow it. The forum rules don't forbid cloning band members or former band members.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:10 PM   #26
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Hmm... Did any other band member drink from it? If yes, it might have caused a wee DNA-mixup. Hmm... A Lisa-Vyv hybrid... Hmm...

Old 10-31-2007, 12:27 PM   #27
Triskel2004
Eskimo Friend

Default Scary

Who would have thought that Damien's pick would transcend to potential morphing of Lisa/Vyv??? Mind boggles however I am right there with the first orders of successful morphing(ok now I must stop! wow this stalking bit is too easy!)
Apologies ref distance from stage to fans-not been to a gig at Wembley Arena and the distant photo I saw of his actual gig gave impression there was quite a gap between.
Still can anyone confirm Damien uses Dunlop picks (or cares)
End of the day you got something you wanted and even if it isnt the real deal who is to say otherwise (as long as you dont then try and flog it for £20!)
(Ref backstage for the Who,yes was quite scary at first as its a precision operation to the minute for absolutely EVERYTHING-we had to get them off stage to airport and airborne within 45 mins and pleased to say despite them travelling in separate limos in and out, they went off stage at 1045pm and got them airborne at 1122pm!!! Rock n roll!!!)
Triskel2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:50 PM   #28
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

speaking of buying things on ebay.. who wants to buy this awesome bumper sticker? lol

http://cgi.ebay.ca/WILL-WORK-FOR-DAM...QQcmdZViewItem
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:22 PM   #29
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Always a dodgy subject as to how genuine something like this is. I am sure there are some of the senior members who can at least corroborate if indeed Damien uses Dunlop plectrums as a starting point
I kinda hope that no one here actually does know what sort of picks he uses.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #30
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

I've just thought of a great business idea..

*heads to ebay with 50 picks*
Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote