Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-20-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
J.M.C
Eskimo

Default Quiet Forum

Does anyone think now people have finished talking about o,finished speculating about when a second album coming out, finished getting excited about 9 coming out, finished talking about 9 and then even stoped talking about Damien touring that the forum has gone more than abit quiet with no touring and no one really thinking about a 3rd album.

Does anyone agree 9 didnt make the biggest impact on us as an album....spesh not as much as some people thort it would? mainly because of the tracklisting where we had herd most the songs? I must say I rarely listen to 9 now.

Its fair Damien is the best person I have seen live and his shows I have seen have been amazing, and its fair o is one of the top albums ever but has anyone just thort there is much fresher music to be herd currently and its nice to move on, like you would from an ex? and not let damien rule your taste anymore, because I did that for a while. I think I will make my mind up when an if a 3rd album comes out.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:51 PM   #2
kski09
Bugs

I don't think you "move" on necessarily. While I can relate to the obession-listen-to-no-one-else phase, I don't think that I ever put Damien on a shelf ((no pun intended)) and moved on to where I am right now. If anything, I consider Damien like an old, weathered friend. I know him so well, I know his music so well, his music utterly completes me, that I go on and have other friends ((other artists)) and enjoy their company, get on swell, etc..... but I still go back to Damien every now and again and seek comfort in his music ((such that of the arms an old friend)).

And trust me, I can definately see the line from Damien all summer long followed the stark contrast of Marilyn Manson along the current Beatles regression. Or as I always say, in terms of never finding THE perfect friend or person, "different people feed different parts of my personality." Different artists serve different moods in my life, different experiences, different memories. You cannot have one without the other, the good without the bad, or the Damo without the Manson in my case.

I don't really know what to say in response to 9 or new material, except that true fans stick through thick and thin, or love unconditionally. I happened to geniunely like 9, though awknowledging its flaws. But then again, as I pointed out in my school newspaper review, how can anyone expect to live up the genius of O? O was brilliant, a one-of-a-kind. No matter who did it, I don't think a work of its calibur can ever be topped, not even by the man who coined it himself. So, in essence, there will always be an air of disappointment, or not living up to expectations, if we ((inevitably)) compare it to O.
kski09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
cille
creepycute

logically, when things happen in damoland, like touring, releasing, breakups in the band, etc, there will be more fashizzle in this whizzle than when he is laying low, like now.
I think 9 was an album he had to get down to get past the difficoult 2nd album, and as such it is a decent 2nd album. I am certainly curious about what he'll do next, how he'll move on creatively from here.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
Rai
Eskimontologist

Just wait 'till Lisa's album comes out early next year... (its supposed to, no?)

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
cille
creepycute

^i dunno, nobody from around here seem to care enough to go to her gigs or anything :S
Old 11-20-2007, 10:34 PM   #6
Rai
Eskimontologist

^True... More or less, because I care! I'm just unable to bridge that wee 2300 km distance...

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:36 PM   #7
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Her concerts are in tiny venues in remote places... not easy to get to.

But yeah, let's get more Vyv and Lisa discussions going on.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:57 PM   #8
She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
^i dunno, nobody from around here seem to care enough to go to her gigs or anything :S
well in all fairness cille her gigs are just warm-up gigs and are in the back of the country for many to travel and on sundays which leads to a school morning...hence we have to get up and go to work, so i can get the peeps not wanting to drive from tiny town from kerry or from longford in the middle of the night to home...i did this loads (even going over to the u.k./netherlands for a gig returning with the first plane and go to work) and it is extemely tiring

i wouldn't mind if it was a friday or saturday but with a sunday i think twice..especially that she will come closer once the material is working for her 100% and the crowd is ready for her....and i am not talking about damien fans who want to see her but about people who want to discover lisa hannigan and not see the girl who used to sing with damien rice....she really has to fight for the earlier mentioned crowd and so far she seems to be building her solo name wisely and tastefully (im sure there is a good management and pr support in the background with good bits of advice)

as for 9 n O....i don't think u can compare the two...those two albums for me totally different therefore comparing them seems to me like a waste of time...they are songs from the same book but reflecting a different phase of ones perspective of life and emotions in two different times...i think the only important thing that really made a difference since 9 came out was him finding his own sound and it can be thanked to lisa leaving the band..in one year he grew so much in his live performances..... for other artists the same thing takes years...

and i do think that the 3rd album is gonna sound like none of his earlier stuff..he is a lazy fecker but i don't think he will use any of his old unreleased songs.he is lazy but he is smart..knows not to play the same cards twice.....which probably will get folks whinging:'but i prefer his earlier stuff'

agree with the first post though...it is time to go and listen to other musicians who are active now..like josh ritter who is touring and shapping into a stronger performer with different sound, renewed charisma and confidence and gets stronger gig by gig; the big returner PJ Harvey etc...whoever people like here with different music tastes...but certainly going on about what underpants damien is wearing now or is he in spain or on the moon is like taking a dead dog walking in ur imagination.

i do listen to him from time to time and it is refreshing and as it was put above "welcoming" as i return to his loved and old tunes but for sure i wanna let him go from my CD player for a while so it will be much more special when he decides to play again ..which i do think will happen in some shape or form by the end of next summer....
Old 11-20-2007, 11:11 PM   #9
J.M.C
Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite
I agree with the first post though...it is time to go and listen to other musicians who are active now..like josh ritter who is touring and shapping into a stronger performer with different sound, renewed charisma and confidence and gets stronger gig by gig; the big returner PJ Harvey etc...whoever people like here with different music tastes...but certainly going on about what underpants damien is wearing now or is he in spain or on the moon is like taking a dead dog walking in ur imagination.
Thats exactly what this thread is about, Its a good thing its quiet at the moment because Damien isnt upto anything so lets not force things to talk about on the Damien Front lets talk about someone out there doing it now in the other music section.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:00 AM   #10
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I think it's inevitable for people to go inbetween albums, all forums go thru ups and downs... but this doesn't mean it has to close down or just post in the other music forum (there's always time for good music IMHO despite Damien having a CD out or not)

And for 9, I always say it's unfair to compare it with O. I think it shows another side of Damien's music. Only with O+9+b-sides+unreleased you get the whole picture. In a way, I always feel that O was a bit misleading, almost too nice... Actually I never listen to either O or 9, mostly I listen to live bootlegs or homemade live versions of the albums... 9 really gets better if you add Then Go, Insane, Sand,...
Old 11-21-2007, 04:46 AM
Gatsby
This message has been deleted by Gatsby. Reason: i need no reason
Old 11-21-2007, 09:26 AM   #11
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite
well in all fairness cille her gigs are just warm-up gigs and are in the back of the country for many to travel and on sundays which leads to a school morning...hence we have to get up and go to work, so i can get the peeps not wanting to drive from tiny town from kerry or from longford in the middle of the night to home...i did this loads (even going over to the u.k./netherlands for a gig returning with the first plane and go to work) and it is extemely tiring
I know I know, I am just being REALLY curious about those gigs, you know?
Old 11-22-2007, 01:05 AM   #12
She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
I know I know, I am just being REALLY curious about those gigs, you know?
i know dear...promise i will do try not to miss out on the next one and will report...maybe in dingle if i can get in....fingers crossed
Old 11-22-2007, 07:23 AM   #13
cille
creepycute

^That's the spirit! As long as we don't stop trying
Old 11-22-2007, 09:36 AM   #14
Vyru
Guardian of common sense

Hm, I don't talk much, I just wait in the shadows like a scary metrosexual ninja and pounce on interesting topics to offer sensible advice, or muses about Marmite.

I agree with kski09... There was a period of about a year or so, where all I would listen to was the big DR... Now, I know practically every lyric, every rhythm, I went to see him at Wembley in October, it was quite possibly the most amazing night of my life, and has inspired me to begin to follow music. Through Damien's musical assosiciations, I've discovered the likes of Bell X1 and The Frames, and I love listening to all his old Juniper stuff, too... Also Pedestrian... They rock. But somehow, I'm always crawling this message board and going back to Damien... He's just that damned good.