The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 03-20-2007, 02:12 AM   #31
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
I was serious about Alanis, google it
yes, you´re right!... i´m a huge fan of alanis since 10 years ago... and that´s (about twin brother) why i tought the song could be about alanis... then again, i think it´s a crazy idea... but a couple of things really fits right: yoga girl, orange tree and joel´s friendship (they´re very very close)...

who knows? crazy or not, it´s funny tought about that...

ps: (i forgot this) the part "she´s always dressed in white..."... don´t seem to be about alanis, in my opinion... sorry the confusion.

Last edited by verenita; 03-20-2007 at 02:21 AM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:02 AM   #32
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I admit that in the Ellen's version he sings 'and a' but on the album version I hear 'the'. I also hear 'the' on the recent Dogs from Lyon that's on youtube. But don't judge by one performance, for instance in the distorted part in Elephant he does not always sing the same thing...
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:11 AM   #33
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
well thank you, i'll keep that in mind

so the "he" in the song who "lives in a little house on the side of a little hill" must be joel? if so he must be a good friend to damien, the lyrics are very warm toward both he and she in the song.. "she/he gives i get without giving anything to me".. wherever the girl that does yoga lives it sounds like a nice place
Simmer down now...

I don't know if its Joel, if you want to read that into the lyrics... I guess you could, but I have no reason to believe that specifically. I do know he is very good friends with Joel. I wish I could recall how they met, but I don't know.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:49 AM   #34
cille
creepycute

We can make a list of all the girls and their siblings who do yoga, but couldn't it theoretically be that the charachters of the song are fictional...? And if not, does it matter?
Old 03-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #35
beatleboogie
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
I hadn't even looked at the lyrics on the official site - it's definately 'and a girl that does yoga' - you can hear it.
If you can't hear it on the regular recording, listen to this one - the words 'and' & 'a' are very clear both times that he sings the line:

http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=106876

Absolutely undeniable, yes?

Sure, he sings "and a..." in this version.
In all the other versions I've heard he doesn't.
That doesn't necessarily mean I'm right and you're not - but to me it makes more sense considering the rest of the lyric. But it doesn't really matter...
I sing myself, and it happens that I sing my own lyrics slightly "wrong" from time to time...

On the official CD-version there's no "and a..." - absolutely undeniable, yes?
Old 03-20-2007, 02:04 PM   #36
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Back in '03, he said its about a real girl who lives near Joel.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:52 PM   #37
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatleboogie
On the official CD-version there's no "and a..." - absolutely undeniable, yes?

hehehe touche - although I would say on the album version you can't really tell which it is... :P

But no, you're right in saying 'and the' makes more sense, particularly bearing in mind the chorus lyrics. I guess we'll never no what that crazy mind of his is really talking about.
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:22 PM   #38
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

i know i cannot force you to believe it's about Joel & Alanis, with Alanis being the Yoga girl but read this:

how does she get psyched up for a show? "I do yoga, I have a massage and I eat." (McLean Magazine, March 99)

When not touring, she can retreat to her three-bedroom Mediterranean-style house in the Brentwood area of Los Angeles. "It's my dream home," she says. "Sometimes I wish I could transport it outside of Los Angeles and live somewhere else. But I don't even feel like I own it. It's somewhat communal. I have friends staying there, and I just stay there when I'm home, so I feel I'm borrowing it."
(McLean Magazine, March 99)

"Alanis Morissette, 27, does yoga almost every morning and doesn't smoke or drink" (US Weekly, Apr 1, 2002)

She has particularly empowered-looking yoga arms. "I do push-ups. I was obsessed with yoga for years [her twin brother is a yoga teacher], but now I don't do it as much." (The Guardian , 12 May, 2006)
Old 03-21-2007, 02:26 AM   #39
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d
Simmer down now...

I don't know if its Joel, if you want to read that into the lyrics... I guess you could, but I have no reason to believe that specifically. I do know he is very good friends with Joel. I wish I could recall how they met, but I don't know.
i'm choosing to believe it's joel

i'm still up in the air about alanis though
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:37 AM   #40
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
i'm choosing to believe it's joel

i'm still up in the air about alanis though
i have this feeling that we hardly figure it out..., there are huge possibilities they (alanis and damie) don´t even meet in person (mmm, is this correct?)
Old 03-21-2007, 03:10 AM   #41
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenita
i have this feeling that we hardly figure it out..., there are huge possibilities they (alanis and damie) don´t even meet in person (mmm, is this correct?)
well joel and alanis being good friends could mean some connection.. that and the whole yoga obsession.. does she really have an orange tree, too? i think you were pretty sharp to put all that together, actually (sharp meaning smart )

it's an interesting theory at any rate.. i like daydreaming about these kind of scenarios..
Old 03-21-2007, 03:13 AM   #42
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I was gonna ask the same to Verenita... you mentioned on one of your posts that Alanis has an orange tree...

In one of the pieces I pasted above, she mentions she has a Mediterranean-kinda house in LA, but not sure if that guarantees an orange tree?? Many Californian houses have... even my crappy little house has an orange tree in the backyard...
Old 03-21-2007, 03:28 AM   #43
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
I was gonna ask the same to Verenita... you mentioned on one of your posts that Alanis has an orange tree...

In one of the pieces I pasted above, she mentions she has a Mediterranean-kinda house in LA, but not sure if that guarantees an orange tree?? Many Californian houses have... even my crappy little house has an orange tree in the backyard...

first: sistermidnight, thank you very much (about smart comment, he he).

then... well, she used to live in santa monica, in fact she sings "come visit me in california..." in one of her songs ("unsent")... but i don´t know if she´s still there (i know she has an apartment in toronto). and she has some fruit trees on her backyard... one of them: orange tree (there was a photo in alanis official site)...

but, i must to say, i think if is true damien and alanis met each other, i don´t know how they didn´t anything together yet... maybe, the next one who meets damien (whenever it is), could ask him and tell him about all this funny theories, right?

Last edited by verenita; 03-21-2007 at 03:30 AM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:07 AM   #44
cille
creepycute

Quote:
i know i cannot force you to believe it's about Joel & Alanis, with Alanis being the Yoga girl but read this:

how does she get psyched up for a show? "I do yoga, I have a massage and I eat." (McLean Magazine, March 99)

When not touring, she can retreat to her three-bedroom Mediterranean-style house in the Brentwood area of Los Angeles. "It's my dream home," she says. "Sometimes I wish I could transport it outside of Los Angeles and live somewhere else. But I don't even feel like I own it. It's somewhat communal. I have friends staying there, and I just stay there when I'm home, so I feel I'm borrowing it."
(McLean Magazine, March 99)

"Alanis Morissette, 27, does yoga almost every morning and doesn't smoke or drink" (US Weekly, Apr 1, 2002)

She has particularly empowered-looking yoga arms. "I do push-ups. I was obsessed with yoga for years [her twin brother is a yoga teacher], but now I don't do it as much." (The Guardian , 12 May, 2006)
Dude, A LOT of people do yoga
Old 04-01-2007, 09:27 AM   #45
cille
creepycute

Exclamation I stand corrected..

Ok, seems like there was an Alanis + Damien + Yoga connection after all; according to this future release article, Damien is to appear along side Alanis on a yoga/meditation album to be released in June 2007.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:02 PM   #46
celia
Eskimo Regular

LOL i'm a big fan of Alanis, never even thought of this connection, with Joel.
Very interesting even though its probably not the case.

Think they should bring out a yoga DVD together
Old 04-01-2007, 12:23 PM   #47
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
Ok, seems like there was an Alanis + Damien + Yoga connection after all; according to this future release article, Damien is to appear along side Alanis on a yoga/meditation album to be released in June 2007.
sorry, the link didn't work, here's the real one:
http://gaffa.dk/anmeldelser/future.php
Old 04-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #48
joiyua
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
yes, you´re right!... i´m a huge fan of alanis since 10 years ago... and that´s (about twin brother) why i tought the song could be about alanis... then again, i think it´s a crazy idea... but a couple of things really fits right: yoga girl, orange tree and joel´s friendship (they´re very very close)...

who knows? crazy or not, it´s funny tought about that...

ps: (i forgot this) the part "she´s always dressed in white..."... don´t seem to be about alanis, in my opinion... sorry the confusion.
very interesting discussion in the whole thread, hehe

this is a bit off topic, but I just have to ask you (verenita) are you on the AlanisUtopia forum? Cause I think I recognize your picture (?).
Old 04-01-2007, 06:21 PM   #49
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joiyua
very interesting discussion in the whole thread, hehe

this is a bit off topic, but I just have to ask you (verenita) are you on the AlanisUtopia forum? Cause I think I recognize your picture (?).
well... i used to visit alanisutopia forum... but i haven´t been there for years (two or three, i think) and did´t even registered, so i don´t know what pictures you´re talking about, lol... but, yes, i think i´m the same person...

and cille: sorry, but i didn´t see any reference for what you said... can you explain this for me, please?...

but... damien + alanis=dream came true
Old 04-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #50
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
hahaha april fools

i actually like this idea though.. alanis and then damien with his tibetan singing bowl and monk chanting..
Old 04-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #51
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
hahaha april fools

i actually like this idea though.. alanis and then damien with his tibetan singing bowl and monk chanting..
cille... you really caught me! clap clap for you...
but, is not fair!... we don´t have april fool´s day in argentina! this is not familiar for me, ha ha...

i think i´m a big fool!
Old 04-02-2007, 09:08 AM   #52
cille
creepycute

Red face Disclaimer

Quote:
hahaha april fools

Sorry Guys - yes it was an april's fool joke

Verenita, you are not foolish for believing me - you are trusting, which is good in general (except when it comes to sneaky un-trustworthy people like me )

Last edited by cille; 04-02-2007 at 09:11 AM.
cille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #53
Damo fan
Eskimo Baby

Actually, I heard it was about the Blower's Daughter! (hehe)

(Really now, I think you guys have a little but too much time on your hands—maybe you should take up yoga or something.)
Damo fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:09 AM   #54
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Sorry Guys - yes it was an april's fool joke

Verenita, you are not foolish for believing me - you are trusting, which is good in general (except when it comes to sneaky un-trustworthy people like me )
yeah, i know... my best friend always be mad at me for being so trusting person...
well, i choose that... whatever comes!
and again... you were brilliant!... it was funny, he!
Old 04-03-2007, 04:36 AM   #55
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

hehe good one cille
Old 04-03-2007, 07:59 AM   #56
cille
creepycute

Quote:
yeah, i know... my best friend always be mad at me for being so trusting person...
You're too cute Verenita
Old 04-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #57
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

my friend was telling me now that Alanis did an April's Joke too!!!! She did a video covering My Humps, the Black Eyed Peas song, making a parody of Fergie... apparenlty is all over the internet... gonna check it, wait...

Found it, it's brilliant!!!!!!! check:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W91sqAs-_-g
Old 04-05-2007, 04:56 AM   #58
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

hey cille, isn't that ^ one of your favorite songs?

hilarious! alanis sure took the piss out of fergie (and her ilk) there

Quote:
don't worry verenita, you're right to be trusting, not foolish.. i always fall for these kind of things too, i only caught on this time because i know cille's evil sense of humor so well
Old 04-05-2007, 08:25 AM   #59
cille
creepycute

Quote:
hey cille, isn't that ^ one of your favorite songs?
Heh "yeah", but this rendition RULES

Last edited by cille; 04-05-2007 at 11:03 PM.
cille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:15 PM   #60
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
my friend was telling me now that Alanis did an April's Joke too!!!! She did a video covering My Humps, the Black Eyed Peas song, making a parody of Fergie... apparenlty is all over the internet... gonna check it, wait...

Found it, it's brilliant!!!!!!! check:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W91sqAs-_-g
i saw before (i mean, some friends of mine told me about it before i saw your post, borneoman) i don´t get it! i mean... too much effort just for april´s joke, in my opinion... i don´t understand what kind of sense this parody has... but, this reminds me alanis´ got such a great voice... i didn´t know the song, btw.

ps: cille, you too!... and sistermidnight, thanks!