Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 07-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #31
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotyalex
As an aside - it has been quite interesting in Switzerland - while there are scalper tickets for various gigs at Montreux - and interestingly enough the Concierges at the good hotels have a pool so when we decided to go see Van Morrison like a month ago our Concierge reserved us two section A (front orch) tix at face.

However in Lucerne we have been trying to upgrade for damo and there is absolutely no market for tickets - so somehow the folks in Lucerne were able to accomplish what you are asking for - just don't think that would ever fly in NAm.

Answer - move to Switzerland????
Ha. I'd actually love to! I was in Geneva a few years ago and thought it was amazing.

Toronto hotels do that too - if you want NHL or theater tickets, most of the concierges downtown know how to get you tickets for face value, even for sold out games/shows. It's not scalping, exactly. But they do get the inside track on most big shows.

You're right though - scalpers would be impossible to get rid of North America. Still, I'll do my part by avoiding them.

I think Damien needs better management when it comes to his pre-sales. He had the password up on the News section of his website for heaven's sake!

Good luck getting the tickets you want
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #32
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

there are scalpers and scalpers. i bought my tickets the second they went online, still i ended up with crappy seats. it sucks but i know i'm gonna pay a whole lot more for better seats so my crappy seats might end up on ebay. what i did the last two times i saw damien was to exchange the tickets i had for better ones with a "fee", until i got good seats. however i screwed up the last time in dallas, but i got pit seats, so it was worth it
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:08 PM   #33
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Yeah, I never received any email but a friend of mine told me that the presale was completely bogus anyway. Bogus as in not worth it since the tix were crap that is. There's a few pairs for sale online already but I thought you guys might like this first:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAMIEN-RICE-Pres...QQcmdZViewItem

This guy's a total leech and to be completely honest, I'm not surprised. Thanks to everyone who respected our values and didn't display the US presale password for everyone to see. DR.com actually shot themselves in the foot by displaying it on their homepage and I just found this out so I'm sorry it means nothing to you now. Anyways, if I see some good deals for great seats online I'll be sure to let people know. Take care.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #34
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

So weird, there are better tix now than an hour ago when the presale started... But still no pit or front rows...

I think I'm gonna send an e-mail complaining to Damien's management What's the point of doing a fan presale and then give away row 40!!!!!
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #35
FightthegdFight
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
So weird, there are better tix now than an hour ago when the presale started... But still no pit or front rows...

I think I'm gonna send an e-mail complaining to Damien's management What's the point of doing a fan presale and then give away row 40!!!!!
I think over time, people have forgotten the purpose of presale tickets. Fan clubs do these type of things not to get people in the very front, but rather to get fans through the doors.

I mean there are fan club like John Mayer's that reserve a number of seats in the very front reserved strictly for fan club members. But those type of fan clubs charge something like $25 for an annual membership and limit you to two seats. In that sense you are paying more for better seats, which is giving someone, somewhere extra money for better seats (often times, not the artist).

Also, let's not forget that online forum browsers are the not only fan of Damiens. If you weren't browsing ticketmaster or were on eskimofriends, chances are you wouldn't have known about the LA gig or others. That doesn't make us better fans or more entitled to the tickets. I mean, his own website doesn't even advertise the LA gig yet. I don't know if it's on his "official" forum yet. They haven't even sent out the password to presale yet, I got an e-mail today saying it would be sent out sometime this week. What I'm trying to say is, that there are plenty of fans that get news of gigs through other forms of media (radio, tv, word of mouth, posters, or newspapers) and they deserve a shot at good seats too, when the regular sale goes on.

There are so many more factors that go into how the seats are distributed. I'm not sure who gets how much of a say or how the complete process works, but the promoter, artist management, and ticketmaster are all variables. I mean tickets an hour after presale started, Section A's started coming out. Maybe it's luck of the draw, maybe they rolled out tickets to make it fair to those with slower connection...I don't know. Things are much different now with ticket sales than they used to be. Before the internet made it possible to pay for tickets online, people waited outside of record stores and venues for tickets. That made it more justified of, "if you showed up early, you'd get better seats." But with ticketmaster sales now, there is not an easy way of justifying who is more deserving when hundreds or thousands of people signed on at 10AM trying to buy seats with the difference being, hundredths of a second.

All I'm trying to say is, presales get us through the door. We should all be thankful for experiencing gigs, in the 1st row or the last row. So it doesn't make you any better of a fan for how you found out about the gig, how fast your internet connection is, or if you got an easier encrypted ticketmaster word than the next customer. Just enjoy.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:03 PM   #36
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
I understand the message - my point was what if someone decided they wanted to go to a show after the show sold out - so they are just out of luck just to make this point?
No, you don't have to buy tickets from scalpers, regardless of what city the concert is in. As a concertgoer of many years, I can tell you that shows are almost never completely sold out. You can usually go to the box office the day of the show and get tickets (and good ones at that!) to any sold out show. Face value, the artist and the promoter make the money, no middle man. Also, you can buy tickets from other fans at face value even to sold out shows. So, no, there's no need for scalpers - don't buy from them if you want to put them out of business.

But don't tell me what to post. I'll post a password if I want to
Old 07-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #37
got_edge
Funkmaster MKicks

I haven't received any emails through the mailing list recently... Which dates have been announced and are available to purchase via the presale?

Thanks in advance
got_edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:44 PM   #38
FightthegdFight
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_edge
I haven't received any emails through the mailing list recently... Which dates have been announced and are available to purchase via the presale?

Thanks in advance
http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/852799
Old 07-09-2007, 08:50 PM   #39
got_edge
Funkmaster MKicks

haha, I meant to post a thumbs-up...

Anyway, thanks for the info!
got_edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:56 PM
davidcotyalex
This message has been deleted by davidcotyalex.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:57 PM   #40
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlttrGrrl

But don't tell me what to post. I'll post a password if I want to
I don't believe I ever told you to do anything?

I hear you but still feel it naive to suggest that if you and I don't buy from scalpers the message will spread like wildfire and "poof" away they go - especially in a city like nyc!
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:14 PM   #41
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightthegdFight
I mean there are fan club like John Mayer's that reserve a number of seats in the very front reserved strictly for fan club members. But those type of fan clubs charge something like $25 for an annual membership and limit you to two seats. In that sense you are paying more for better seats, which is giving someone, somewhere extra money for better seats (often times, not the artist).
Honestly, if Damien's was more like John Mayer's I would be SO happy! His is one of the most organized fan clubs I've seen and although I have no idea what kind of money he makes off of his memberships, it's usually completely worth it for his fans. Getting front row, or tickets in the first 5 rows, to his shows through the fan club presales is usually pretty commonplace.

And he does "fan club only" shows every once in a while that are absolutely impossible to scalp because of the way they're set up.

Granted, this isn't exactly fair because not everyone can afford a fan club membership - but considering how much ticket prices are these days, it's worth it to pay a little more (legitimately) and be in the first few rows.
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:26 PM   #42
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

(this is maybe completely out of subject but it seems illogical to create a threat for this!)

does anybody know if there's a Houston concert coming up in the us leg of the tour... i believe in september ??!
because i've seen all kinds of calendars with different info on them ... yet i assume the one in ticketmaster is the correct one.

cheers!
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:52 PM   #43
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

He's already doing the Austin City Limits festival, that's Texas, isn't it???? so I doubt he'll do Houston too...

Anyway Ticketmaster also has a date for Denver CO on Sep 17!!
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:16 PM   #44
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Yes thats Texas!
Unfortunately that show has been sold out for a long time that i know of! ....
i was just wondering because it would be nice to see him again!

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2007, 01:53 AM   #45
cmigliaccio
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
These presales are pointless... I tried now in LA at 10:00:00 and I was super fast typing everything and the first thing I got was section B which is like row 40 (not pit or even section A)... What's the point in doing a presale for fans if you're only giving away crappy seats
Oftentimes the best seats do not go up right away as a way to prevent scalping (as scalpers would be expected to just scooop up tickets when they go on sale). Another, more cyncial, explanation is that if they put up crappy seats first, dedicated fans will buy them and then try and also pick up better ones later, getting them two sales.
cmigliaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #46
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
I don't believe I ever told you to do anything?
um, yeah well the thread is called "U.S. Password RULES" so you wasn't necessarily directed at you.

As for buying from scalpers, as with most problems in this world, you're either part of the problem or part of the solution. Sure, one person not buying from scalpers won't make them go away, but if we all stopped? Well, that would be something else. I just know that my conscience is clear and I will never pay above face value for tickets unless the money is going to charity. period.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:33 PM   #47
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
um, yeah well the thread is called "U.S. Password RULES" so you wasn't necessarily directed at you.

As for buying from scalpers, as with most problems in this world, you're either part of the problem or part of the solution. Sure, one person not buying from scalpers won't make them go away, but if we all stopped? Well, that would be something else. I just know that my conscience is clear and I will never pay above face value for tickets unless the money is going to charity. period.
Congratulations. And well um yeah you were directly responding to me - for the record. Maybe you should take some of that clear consciousness and try to be a little less derogatory in your posts. Just an observation.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:31 PM   #48
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
Congratulations. And well um yeah you were directly responding to me - for the record. Maybe you should take some of that clear consciousness and try to be a little less derogatory in your posts. Just an observation.
Good job telling me what I was talking about. You know, I don't know what I did before you came to this board. I just went around saying things and not knowing what I was saying. Thank heaven for you!

You might try taking some of your own advice.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:09 PM   #49
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Good job telling me what I was talking about. You know, I don't know what I did before you came to this board. I just went around saying things and not knowing what I was saying. Thank heaven for you!

You might try taking some of your own advice.
No I think you should. I have just reviewed this entire thread and while I have beeen consistently asking the same question and making the same point I don't see anything derogatory or sarcastic until my last post which frankly was well deserved. Your posts, on the other hand, are consistently offensive and display your holier than thou attitude (I am right period. Dammit.)

I am regularly in nyc and am happy to get together and arm wrestle to determine the ultimate "champion" of this conversation......
Old 07-10-2007, 10:28 PM   #50
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

... not to make enemies with anybody for no apparent reason whatsoever, but i do have to say... Go Dallas!!

cheers! ... and lighten up eskimos, at least you'll get to see Damo in concert again!

... not me! : (
Old 07-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #51
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
No I think you should.
I think that's the equivalent of this

You no you no YOU

You obviously have your own opinion about me, and frankly I don't care. I have my own opinion about you, but I don't make posts about them calling you names.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #52
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
I think that's the equivalent of this

You no you no YOU

You obviously have your own opinion about me, and frankly I don't care. I have my own opinion about you, but I don't make posts about them calling you names.
Allrightythen
Old 07-18-2007, 08:20 AM   #53
freeda
Eskimo Baby

i know, i got terrace seats with the stupid presale! atleast there isn't really a bad seat at the greek!
freeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:52 AM   #54
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Scalpers make a living off buying and selling tickets. You really think they hunt down message boards to get presale passwords?

They have their own message boards and they all share the same info.

You're just being ridiculous.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:11 AM   #55
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d
Scalpers make a living off buying and selling tickets. You really think they hunt down message boards to get presale passwords?

They have their own message boards and they all share the same info.

You're just being ridiculous.
Yes, but all the same, there are people who don't do it to such a large scale who simply check message boards. I've seen it done.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:59 PM   #56
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

No one is randomly scalping Damien Rice tickets. This is not the Rolling Stones or Jimmy Buffet. The shows don't even sell out!

The only people scalping tickets are professionals and fans.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:09 PM   #57
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d
No one is randomly scalping Damien Rice tickets. This is not the Rolling Stones or Jimmy Buffet. The shows don't even sell out!

The only people scalping tickets are professionals and fans.
Exactly, and fans who aren't signed up to the mailing list will look on boards like this one.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:42 PM   #58
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
Exactly, and fans who aren't signed up to the mailing list will look on boards like this one.
Just because I love this topic.....you know what - I have worked my ass off in this life - I started as a busbuy in a restaurant - I am now fortunate enought to have seen david gray in luzern tonight for what was a life moving moment - and I paid two guys 500 sf to switch my seats from row 19 to row 3 - is that wrong - no it is not - they made money on my account but it was totally voluntary - and it was the most amazing show for both my wife and I. Unreal.

So I have no misgivings going to the Ryman and sitting front row center - we can all be idealistic about this but at the end of the day we live in a free market society where supply and demand rule. If you don't like it the options are increasingly slim..... (Cuba???)
Old 07-21-2007, 10:41 PM   #59
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Just because I love this topic.....you know what - I have worked my ass off in this life - I started as a busbuy in a restaurant - I am now fortunate enought to have seen david gray in luzern tonight for what was a life moving moment - and I paid two guys 500 sf to switch my seats from row 19 to row 3 - is that wrong - no it is not - they made money on my account but it was totally voluntary - and it was the most amazing show for both my wife and I. Unreal.

So I have no misgivings going to the Ryman and sitting front row center - we can all be idealistic about this but at the end of the day we live in a free market society where supply and demand rule. If you don't like it the options are increasingly slim..... (Cuba???)
I don't know if you were directing that completely at me - but that wasn't the context of my point. I actually agree with you, i have bought tickets from ebay before too.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:51 PM   #60
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Look, first of all there is no reason why this thread should still be attracting controversy. The presale already happened and you people need to move on, why keep bringing up old news when it's obvious that we all have different opinions on it? And secondly, this thread was never created to bring about a complete end to scalping worldwide. It's the simple-minded who seem to take such a basic topic and blow it out of proportion instead of focusing on the clear goal at hand. All I sought to do was prevent the lunatics who posted the presale last time from doing the same. I myself don't mind paying a little extra for great seats but it would be nice to not have to everytime. Don't attack Nine or anyone else who's simply speaking their mind. Don't become a forum policeman when you know that it's obvious you probably have better things to do.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote