Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Default 'X-Factor' winner set to cover Damien Rice's 'Cannonball'?

Tragic news if true... but comes from the very reliable The Sun (ehem, not very MUCHO)!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.nme.com/news/damien-rice/60666

X-Factor' winner set to cover Damien Rice's 'Cannonball'? Source says all four remaining contestants have recorded a version of the big-selling ballad
More Damien Rice news, reviews, videos and tour dates
Buy Damien Rice music from AmazonDamien Rice news RSS Feed
Photo: Andy WillsherThe X-Factor winner is set to release a cover of Damien Rice's 'Cannonball' as their debut single, according to tabloid reports this morning (November 29).

The competition ends on December 11, with whoever is named the winner releasing their debut single that same night. The track will need to secure two weeks at Number One to become the Christmas chart topper as the Christmas Number One will be announced on December 25 itself this year.

According to The Sun, all four remaining contestants in the competition have recorded a version of 'Cannonball', which one of three tracks being considered for release.

A source told the paper: "It's one of three songs being considered for release. The acts are still recording the different options but Cannonball has a good shot. After reworking Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' for Alexandra Burke then Biffy's track 'Many Of Horror' for Matt last year, it's the next step. It would be a safe bet to sell well in the run-up to Christmas".

'Cannonball' peaked at Number 19 when it was released as a single in 2004, but has been in constant use ever since on television and film.

In 2010, X-Factor winner Matt Cardle covered Biffy Clyro's 'Many Of Horror' when he won the competition, with 2008 winner Alexandra Burke covering Leonard Cohen's 'Hallejulah' as her debut release.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Last edited by Dean C; 11-29-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
QueenOfTheSouth
Eskimo Friend

The last thing I'd want is for Cannonball to become abused like Hallelujah. But looks like it has already become so in recent years. Goddam commercialized music.
QueenOfTheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

I'd rather Cannonball than....like.... well, pretty much any other song. I do love it, but it's probably one of my least favorite Damien songs.
mandarific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

looks like confirmed

http://www.ok.co.uk/celebrity-news/v...ent-versions-/
Old 12-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
verenita
... trusty and true ...

this is might be a big prejudgement, but i don´t like the idea of this cover... i assume that it will start to sound cheesy when it is a beautiful and touching song as the way it is!

marti, i like your new avatar
Old 12-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^haha I knew you'd like the avatar

and you'd be even more against this cover if you'd seen the final contestants cos the song does not fit them at all... imagine, the favourites to win are a sorta Spice Girls band called Little Mix... can you picture Spice Girls singing Cannonball? cos I think that's what's gonna happen (sadly)

but XFactor always do the same, 2 years ago they already murdered Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah...
Old 12-10-2011, 01:14 AM   #8
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
I say good for Damien...more exposure and sales, whether he likes it or not (the exposure part)....nows a good time to release a Record....lol
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
daavo
Accidental Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
and you'd be even more against this cover if you'd seen the final contestants cos the song does not fit them at all...
Exactly.

For the first time this year I've actually watched X Factor and all the styles of the finalists are just so wrong for Cannonball - Amelia will probably shout her way through it, Marcus will turn it into some high energy dance number, and god only knows how awful it will sound in the hands of Little Mix. The only previous contestant who just might have done it some justice would have been Craig.

It's just a cynical ploy to guarantee the Xmas number one spot. Bastards.
daavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i have no idea who these people are and, to be honest, i don´t want to know, i don´t care. but, now that i think, if someone will cover the song and put it on a record, that means that damien agrees with that cause he owns the copyrights, doesn´t he? if so, i don´t think i can say much more.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^actually we were discussing this yesterday with some friends cos I know the rules are different for cover version, samples, live performances of covers, etc... our conclusion was that you need permission for using samples and to do the song live on tv... but you don't need permission to do a cover... you'll get a big paycheck but I think you cannot stop them doing a cover...
Old 12-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^ really? wow, that sucks! i would understand if it were a live performance, but for records? not fair whatsoever...

Last edited by verenita; 12-11-2011 at 07:22 PM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Damien will get a big cheque, which he could give to good causes... a new generation will be exposed to his music, which might lead to a growth in support for his and similar musicians... and you never know, maybe the cover will be good... I'll wait to hear it before passing judgement.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #14
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
Damien will get a big cheque, which he could give to good causes... a new generation will be exposed to his music, which might lead to a growth in support for his and similar musicians... and you never know, maybe the cover will be good... I'll wait to hear it before passing judgement.

Damien only benefits from this and HE is not complaining I assure u...just his fans are apparently
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #15
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post

i like what you say, wheels and i agree in a way, but i´m afraid the song becomes cheesy, which i wouldn´t like. that´s all.

Last edited by verenita; 01-02-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #16
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

So I just saw both finalists sing it. I can confirm that I would rather have some wank sh1t on to my face than have to listen to this travesty again.
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #17
Colbarr
Eskimo Welcomer

I have to say, I preferred Marcus' version better, but to be honest, judging by previous products of the x factor, It's probably the best song he'll ever sing.

Check these out, Moesley.

Chairman of the Welcoming Comittee.
Colbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #18
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

I guess we yanks are the lucky ones this year then since the finalists in the US version of X-Factor (predicting a Melanie and Josh face off) can reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaally sing.

As for "Hallelujah" we're lucky there too. Just had a stunning a cappella version of it on The Sing-Off this past week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toga5cWRi0k
Old 12-12-2011, 12:13 AM   #19
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

Completely as expected with the big choir / orchestral power outro. Although I'd rather listen to it again than have sh1t wanked into my face. That's just Dean's style though so I can't knock him for it, he's always been a big fan of the face sh1t cumshot.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #20
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

I want to avoid it but..... it's like driving by a car crash, you just can't not look. Sigh.

Winner's version is up on youtube already:

ETA: http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2011/12/1...factor-winner/

Quote:
‘Cannonball’ by Damien Rice found murdered by X-Factor winner
The song ‘Cannonball’ by singer-songwriter Damien Rice was found dead today in an incident that police say they are treating as murder. X-Factor winners Little Mix are being sought in connection with the death. ‘Cannonball’ was just nine years old.

‘There aren’t words to describe how I feel,’ said a tearful Damien Rice at a press conference today. ‘You read about this sort of thing happening to other artists but you never imagine it will happen to you. I just keep asking ‘why me?’ All anyone hopes is that when the time comes to say goodbye to their songs, they go painlessly, but from the recordings I’ve heard it sounds as if ‘Cannonball’ really suffered in its final hours.’

‘Cannonball’, which enjoyed brief fame in 2004 when it reached number 19 in the UK charts after being re-released, was described by Rice as an easygoing song. ‘Like all my songs, it never set out to offend anyone. It kept itself to itself, you know. I just can’t believe that anyone could do something like this to a piece of music – it’s horrible.’

Passers-by reported finding the dismembered remains of ‘Cannonball’ in record stores up and down the UK this morning, but despite the best efforts of the emergency services it was already too late to save it. ‘We think we’re looking for a group of amateurs because whoever committed this horrific act made a right mess of it,’ said a police spokesman. ‘They have shown total disregard for the sanctity of a melody. Our biggest concern now is that unless they are stopped they could go on to commit further atrocities.’

Police are conducting a nationwide hunt for the killer, but recognise that finding the culprit may not be easy. ‘In similar cases the perpetrator has tended to go to ground after one high-profile massacre. We’re still searching for whoever butchered Leonard Cohen’s ‘Hallelujah’ three years ago. However, the public should be warned that Little Mix are considered dangerous and under no circumstances should they be approached with your ears uncovered.’

A media inquest into the death will be held next week, but Rice now just wants closure on the tragedy. ‘All I ask is that the media respect my right to carry on with my career in private, and give me and my family the time and space we need to come to terms with our life-changing royalties.’

Last edited by srahman24; 12-12-2011 at 02:26 AM.
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #21
ko210
Eskimo Regular

^ oh. boy.

youtube
ko210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #22
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

official studio version:

Old 12-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #23
Joyful
Eskimama

That is incredibly, awfully bad. So wish that I didn't listen for the 20 seconds I did before turning it off. Ugh.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #24
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

I hate those bitches
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #25
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

considering how much damien hated the radio remix of cannonball, he must have hurled after he heard how bad they raped it
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #26
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by srahman24 View Post

ETA: http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2011/12/1...factor-winner/

Quote:
‘Cannonball’ by Damien Rice found murdered by X-Factor winner
The song ‘Cannonball’ by singer-songwriter Damien Rice was found dead today in an incident that police say they are treating as murder. X-Factor winners Little Mix are being sought in connection with the death. ‘Cannonball’ was just nine years old.

‘There aren’t words to describe how I feel,’ said a tearful Damien Rice at a press conference today. ‘You read about this sort of thing happening to other artists but you never imagine it will happen to you. I just keep asking ‘why me?’ All anyone hopes is that when the time comes to say goodbye to their songs, they go painlessly, but from the recordings I’ve heard it sounds as if ‘Cannonball’ really suffered in its final hours.’

‘Cannonball’, which enjoyed brief fame in 2004 when it reached number 19 in the UK charts after being re-released, was described by Rice as an easygoing song. ‘Like all my songs, it never set out to offend anyone. It kept itself to itself, you know. I just can’t believe that anyone could do something like this to a piece of music – it’s horrible.’

Passers-by reported finding the dismembered remains of ‘Cannonball’ in record stores up and down the UK this morning, but despite the best efforts of the emergency services it was already too late to save it. ‘We think we’re looking for a group of amateurs because whoever committed this horrific act made a right mess of it,’ said a police spokesman. ‘They have shown total disregard for the sanctity of a melody. Our biggest concern now is that unless they are stopped they could go on to commit further atrocities.’

Police are conducting a nationwide hunt for the killer, but recognise that finding the culprit may not be easy. ‘In similar cases the perpetrator has tended to go to ground after one high-profile massacre. We’re still searching for whoever butchered Leonard Cohen’s ‘Hallelujah’ three years ago. However, the public should be warned that Little Mix are considered dangerous and under no circumstances should they be approached with your ears uncovered.’

A media inquest into the death will be held next week, but Rice now just wants closure on the tragedy. ‘All I ask is that the media respect my right to carry on with my career in private, and give me and my family the time and space we need to come to terms with our life-changing royalties.’

brilliantly clever, to say the least! i haven´t listened yey, so i cannot say a thing about the cover.

i´ve just read this on main page:

Quote:
The X Factor Christmas single goes on sale after the show tonight... looks like it's gonna be a cover of Cannonball... time to start promoting the original! #leavecannonballalone
i like the idea of "time to start promoting the original"

Last edited by verenita; 12-12-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #27
ko210
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
considering how much damien hated the radio remix of cannonbal
I do like that the only part of the original song they kept was the God awful drum beat from the radio single

youtube
Old 12-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #28
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
considering how much damien hated the radio remix of cannonball, he must have hurled after he heard how bad they raped it

i think the radio remix version doesn´t make any justice to the song either. we were talking about this topic in my english class this morning. it came up because we were talking about things to do before you die and i said: "for me, after coming to ireland, would be to see damien rice live in ireland". and my teacher said: "did you hear what the x factor producers are going to do with cannonball song?" he couldn´t even believe that and he´s not much into damien´s music
Old 12-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #29
ko210
Eskimo Regular

Interesting from Hot Press:

Quote:
Damien Rice's management have said they were not informed of the decision, but reiterated that "anyone can cover any song they want". They also told Hot Press that they haven't yet been able to get a comment from Damien himself as he is currently in the recording studio.

youtube
Old 12-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #30
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
they haven't yet been able to get a comment from Damien himself as he is currently in the recording studio.
best part of it so far