Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 04-21-2004, 06:32 PM   #31
lonelilly
Eskimo Friend

here it is, it's from CNN, Nov. 20th, 2003:

TMR: Tell me about your album, and why the title, "O"?

RICE: I have no idea why I chose it. I think I was on a bicycle at the time. I was doing something kind of random, either walking or cycling along, and it was one of those moments where it just kind of came to my head. And I just liked it. It was just so short and simple and it kind of expressed for me -- even though I don't know what it expresses -- it expressed for me what the album was all about. And I've made up lots of things in the meantime, but they're all rubbish. They're not true. About going round in circles and the cyclical nature of life and that the sounds are all about that, but it just came to my mind one day and that was it, you know?
lonelilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 06:37 PM   #32
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

ahhh... cheers emily! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2004, 06:55 PM   #33
lonelilly
Eskimo Friend

thank you, thank you [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]... i did my research!
Old 04-21-2004, 06:59 PM   #34
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

[img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2004, 07:07 PM   #35
cille
creepycute

i think he's lieing in that interview... story of O must be about that erotic novel [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

(SHUT UP, CILLE, YOU'RE BEING SILLY AGAIN!)

(k, sowwy)
Old 04-21-2004, 07:15 PM   #36
lonelilly
Eskimo Friend

hahahaha......... um ahem...[img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]naughty, naughty damien [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2004, 07:50 PM   #37
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario
Lisa has made it very very public that she and Glen Hansard, the lead singer of The Frames are dating.
Lisa as far as I know has only done 2 interviews ever so she has hardly made anything about anything public ever. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

I'm not refuting Mario's statement or attacking him for it or anything like that. I'm not even commenting on the content of it.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:03 PM   #38
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

Just Ianizing! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2004, 08:08 PM   #39
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

Just to make one thing clear. The part I have quoted below is the reason for why I did react like I did. I welcome debate about Damien telling stories, but what you wrote in the beginning there made me feel that you were insinuating that Damien was a liar. Could be just me, but that was what I felt. I am glad that turned out to not being your intention. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeferdog
Ok, don't mean to go Damien bashing butsomeone I know who was good friends with Damienwas saying that Damien takes alot of liberties with the truth (and that is putting it mildly). So, I started to ponder the topic and am dismayed at the conclusion I came to.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:09 PM   #40
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Look Magnus my only true talent is metaphysically talking bollocks in a semi-cryptic manner (which is why I loved the anti american thread). Can I please continue doing it unharrassed? [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2004, 08:10 PM   #41
~Aoife~
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
Lisa as far as I know has only done 2 interviews ever so she has hardly made anything about anything public ever. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Do you have these Ian? I don't think ive ever read any interviews she's done. I have heard the radio ones though if thats what you're talking about??
~Aoife~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 08:26 PM   #42
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

As far as I know she has done ...

oops I just realised that I forgot about one of the radio ones.

In promotion for the bam gig she did radio interviews on Rattlebag and on Jenny Huston.

She also did one for the Trinity News around the time that the blowers daughter came out as a single as she was a still a student there at the time (I think, I'd need a release date for the single to confirm). The issue MAY be under a big pile of crap in my room as I never throw things out or it may not and if I ever find it I've promised that I'd transcribe it.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:28 PM   #43
~Aoife~
Eskimo Regular

Cool, yeah i heard the radio ones alright, they were very good
~Aoife~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:45 PM   #44
marina
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Look Magnus my only true talent is metaphysically talking bollocks in a semi-cryptic manner (which is why I loved the anti american thread). Can I please continue doing it unharrassed? [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

haha brilliant!
Old 04-22-2004, 01:21 PM   #45
ll=llannah
Eskimo Baby

I don't think it counts as lying if he tells us different stories behind his songs in his interviews or live or whatever. They are open for interpretation, like he said in an interview, the songs arefree to roam the world and become their own essences, meaning different things to different people. He really doesn't owe us anything in terms of explanations or anything, and he can have fun with the stories he comes up with. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

On a completely different note, Lisa and Glen, eh?
ll=llannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:40 PM   #46
tw59
Eskimo Baby

Hey guys, remember me, this post caught my eye and I have read through it. Some of you have read about my experience at the Indy show. This post questions Damien's treatment of the audience. I really don't think Damien cares about his audience, he is rather complicated and self-centered in my opinion.
tw59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:42 PM   #47
tw59
Eskimo Baby

Mario, hang in there dude, you have a loyal reader here.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:59 PM   #48
cille
creepycute

you are right, there are only good people and bad people in this world![img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2004, 09:06 PM   #49
maccas81
Eskimo Ladies Man

i think what we have to remember is that damien is doing this as a job...were not his friends...we're like his bosses...if we ike his stuff, we buy the record if we don't we don't, and he's out of work....i'd have more time for someone who does a good job and be's professional without being all over the audience or insincere and 'pally-wally' with them, then would ignore them on the street....we're not his mates, we love his music, he's good at his job, so lets just let him get on with it in whatever way he wants as long as the music isnt affected....and then if it is, don't buy any more! simple as that really!
Old 04-22-2004, 09:17 PM   #50
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

I now have an image of maccas not liking the next album and tracking down Damien and telling him he's fired.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:28 PM   #51
deeferdog
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
I now have an image of maccas not liking the next album and tracking down Damien and telling him he's fired.

[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Hey, there's no I in TEAM, he'd have to track down Lisa, Tomo and Viv as well.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:10 AM   #52
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

Here Damien isquoted by the Guardian (published on September 26th 2003). It is written by a journalist so its accuracy could of course be questioned, but in a way itspeaks to and kind of makes sense to me:

"The thing that pleases me and the audience most, I've discovered, is when I am almost ignoring the fact that there's an audience there, when you're consumed by the moment. That's the best I can do for you, better than doing something insincerely to try and please them."

I am of the impression that Damien choses to not see this as a job, and honestly I don't think he cares much if he's "unemployed" as an employee in the music business. I believe him when he says he's just playing songs with people he like. I don't know, I could be naive here, but I (chose to) believe it.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:33 AM   #53
tw59
Eskimo Baby

My latest thinking on Damien and this website is how an entertainer can bring so many people worldwide together where they really have something to talk about without using smiley faces. I see Damien as a person who may be
in his own state of mind. Maybe he has worked so hard to get to where he is, but has not achieved the great climax we all hunger for. I see him as a fellow playing out his hand, but has no desire to get in the next game. He is a great artist, but we all know great artist are not like you or I. I am not familiar with any great artist that have made their fame by pecking a keyboard, like all of us. The UNKNOW is what we all are so curious about, maybe that is why we are sitting here at this moment?????????? >>>>>>>>TBTG
Old 04-23-2004, 03:45 AM   #54
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2004, 10:11 AM   #55
cille
creepycute

whatever, dude
Old 04-23-2004, 10:17 AM   #56
marloes
Eskimo Regular

i don't think he was being negative. Doesn't he just mean that there is still some mystery surrounding damien and that's what makes him so interesting to us still? andthat's whypeople from all over the worldvisit this board and talk about whatever. That's at least how i understood his comment.
marloes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 10:42 AM   #57
cille
creepycute

no, i agree d.a., it was not negative as such. i'm sorry i reacted like i did, wasn't fair, really.

just baffled that tom all of a sudden thinks damien is a "great artist"... but maybe he changed his mind, i dunno, and it's not up to me to judge on that, surely.

and then i totally disagree that "we all know great artist are not like you or I". I think great artists can be exactly like me, you or tom or anyone else; there's no prototype for that.

I should have written this in the first place instead of that smartass remark. sorry.
cille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 03:26 PM   #58
maccas81
Eskimo Ladies Man

goodone Ian! and you know, I'm just mental enough to do it too!!
Old 04-24-2004, 03:52 PM   #59
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Damien is NOT a liar and doesn't toy with his fans. If anything it's apparent that one of the most important values he holds is being honest and genuine and true to himself. Here's a transcription of a radio interview that I downloaded.
Interviewer: “Okay, but when you brought out the album, the album “O”, were you always leading up to that, do you think? And the band experience you had before that, Juniper, is just something you go through. And this is what you’ve always wanted to do, to be Damien Rice solo, and this is just the start of a long trip?”
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />
Damien: “Well I change my mindall the time… ehm… not on purpose, just things change in my life, and emotionally I go through…eh… stuff that I’m just kind of like… one week I’m like this and another month I’m like that… so I’ve no idea where I’m going or why I’m doing it. I just…. I kind of go on a whim and when I feel like doing something I kind of do it… eh… so… I never actually had a plan to be Damien Rice solo, or anything like that, I always just wanted to play music, I think, and so I’m just wandering around with it now, waiting to see what happens next.”

See, he's just a free spirit (god love him! we need more of those in this world!) And he's also said that he can't worry about or pay attention to what others are saying about him or expect of him or want from him because that would change what he is doing and interfere withhis creative process and the honesty of what he is trying to create.

But if there is one thing that Damien Rice is it's honest. You can hear it in his music and every interview I've ever heard bespeaks the same thing about his personality.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 04:10 PM   #60
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

[img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img]to SisterMidnight!