Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 09-01-2005, 04:52 PM   #1
ruairi deleastar
Eskimo Friend

Default damien rice v james blunt

dose anyone eles get annoyed at the fact that damien has more talant in his little finger than james blunt does in his entire body. now dont get me wrong "your beautiful" is an ok song but can you name one damien rice song that isnt better than james's best song "your beautiful" i dont think so .let me know what you think
Old 09-01-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
Little_Aimee
Eskimo Baby

Oh i do agree. James Blunt's song is pretty good, but to me he sounds a little bit fake. Damien is definatly more talented, and it shows.
Little_Aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:31 PM   #3
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

i think calling 'you're beautiful' pretty good is being rather generous and that's an understatement!!! just my opinion obviously but when it comes to damien rice V james blunt, just don't even go there, there is no competition...james blunt is a whining little git, oh god his voice annoys me beyond belief! sorry if i offend any fans of his, each to their own of course
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:49 PM   #4
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

that may be true, but i do find myself singing it at unsuspecting moments.

my friend said that he practically stole the whole song from a jimmy hendrik song.

Youre beautifu-ul. i'm afraid i like it. and i can look over the fact that the wavering of his voice is all forced. etc etc etc. I prefer it when i sing it in the shower, it sounds allot better
Old 09-01-2005, 10:50 PM   #5
Blackcanvas
Eskimo Friend

ill admit, Blunts voice does SOUND better than damiens, and his music is more ommercially good. But i dont think thats the point. He is a terrible soul searcher and downright bad at attempting it. Ive written this point elsewhere but here it is.

"My life is brilliant, my life is pure I saw an angel, of that I'm sure"- Blunt

"come on ye lost and dive into moss i hope that my sanity covers the cost, to remove the stain of my love, the papermache"- Rice

" She smiled at me on the subway.
She was with another man.
But I won't lose no sleep on that,
'Cause I've got a plan."- Blunt

" get the feeling you're bored with me
And not through habit or frequency
Did your mother have you easily? And if there's someplace else that you would rather be then go"- Rice

Nuff said

Interesting thread. I suppose u can kinda compare them in the sense blunt IS damien, but the version damien has defeated and stopped himself being.

The guardian also made an interesting point, why cant blunts 'angel' be on the tube?
Blackcanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:03 PM   #6
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

ok so i've found myself singing it but that's because it's decent compared to the sh.ite they play on spanish radios and they've started playing it over here now, so i have been singing along at work but what can you do, sometimes these things just slip out!!

as for his voice sounding better than damiens i don't agree, just don't....and i'm not even one of these people who refuses to believe that damien has faults and that he is some perfect inhuman specimen of a singer songwriter. there are some people who will only tolerate people singing his praises and cannot bear to hear people talking badly about him, i am NOT one of these people i just can't bear him being compared to old military boy blunt! well fine of course there will be comparisons and blunt is talented in his way, there is a place for everyone but argh i am just not a fan dunno why just does nothing for me

thing is, i say blunt is a whiny bugger but then a lot of people think the same of damien (many of my friends included) i guess it's just whatever resonates with you does and if it doesn't fine! oh i'm rambling nonsensically this evening!
Old 09-01-2005, 11:06 PM   #7
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcanvas
He is a terrible soul searcher and downright bad at attempting it.
this i do agree with wholeheartedly...and like most people on this forum you put it much better than i could! liked your lyrics comparisons too, JB should be embarrassed but then that coming from a McFly fan doesn't really hold much clout does it! HAHA
Old 09-01-2005, 11:15 PM   #8
dramaking
King of Pain

i'm not a huge fan of james blunt neither. well, i don't really know his music just "you're beautiful", but i think this song is okay. we have so much crap in the charts, all these plactic and fake bands, so i really think that it's better that someone like him is in the charts than any boyband or so...
Old 09-02-2005, 12:08 AM   #9
Bumpman

Then again settling for a lesser of two evils is no way to think of music at all. If you ask me i reckon 98% of the music buying public would probably prefer The Beatles to whatever crap is in the charts, and yet that doesn't translate into sales. The sad truth is that most people think of music as a passing thing, which is exactly the reason that some people would consider Ronan Keating a musician, just like the way someone might call jean-Claude Van Damme an actor.

There's always a seperation between great art and the crap that people buy because someone told them that they're getting great art.

I find that as time goes by i find statistics relating to music less and less relevant. How many good #1 albums has there been this year?
Old 09-02-2005, 01:41 AM   #10
ricgnzlzcr
Eskimo Baby

I rather like a handful of James Blunt songs. His voice is different. Nothing near as gorgeous as Damien's though and theyre completely different styles of confessions. Damien is still top though!
ricgnzlzcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:48 AM   #11
dizzy cannon
senseless eskimo

i feel dumb asking this but who is james blunt?

"You're still reaching for the moon."
"No, father. The moon's reaching for me!"

myspace

dizzy cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:44 AM   #12
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

lol, it's coming your way and you'd better prepare to block your ears, cos i heard it in our HMV already

his voice, or his singing is a bit annoying, like an actor overacting. oh Lord, why do you have to compare him to Damien?
Old 09-02-2005, 10:01 AM   #13
cille
creepycute

Angry

i'm being stalked by the song 'you're beautiful' - just been to italy for a week and everywhere i went it was there; at the airport, in shops and supermarkets, from windows, on the subway, at a market, in a cafe - EVERY-FECKIN-WHERE!
jesh can't believe i even helped a lady buy blunt's album, he's now my enemy no 1!

(but i guess for a pop artist he's ok, that song is just soooooo... shdvtawkseuftsileseilufgæsodugblsautbefoæ!!!!)
Old 09-02-2005, 01:25 PM   #14
toffeepop
Siron Tiwst Band Aid

I have to admit that I liked his songs back in spring, but he is so hyped now that I lost the interest in his music cause everywhere "you´re beautiful" is aired that it bores me to death now.
His voice in "goodbye my lover" really annoys me even though the lyrics are autobiographic the song doesn´t get me, no song of him move me in a way Damiens songs do

I can't sleep without you breathing and I can't breath each time you're leaving
toffeepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:39 PM   #15
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

he's the songwritor equivalent of the crazy frog (as simon cowell would most probably say)

i could escape neither on holliday, there was a radio in the toilet room and everytime i took a crap it was playing.

I like everything about the song, appart form it being so forced. If those lyrics were natural simpliestic, and his voice was naturally vunerable, then i'd be happy. So when in a forgetful mood i can enjoy it, and just block out the fact that it's all forced. Not that i'd ever pay money for it.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:45 PM   #16
ruairi deleastar
Eskimo Friend

and get this i heard him saying on sky news that he wants the record company to stop making the single as he is fed up with it
yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Old 09-03-2005, 02:08 PM   #17
flyaway
Eskimo Geek

We have james blunt's album in the house, I've given it a few listens. It's ok, and I think he does wonders for the singer/songwriter genre. But there's really no comparison, Damien's far more talented, O is far superior than "back to bedlam". Which is just nice music with little or no meaning.

Quote:
and get this i heard him saying on sky news that he wants the record company to stop making the single as he is fed up with it
Yayyy! :>
Old 09-03-2005, 03:19 PM   #18
cille
creepycute

well kudos to him for being able to hear it himself!
cille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 04:36 AM   #19
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruairi deleastar

i doubt it, some people change their tune according to climat. you can't say they don't mean it, it comes very natural for them to say what sounds right, and what pleases the audience. but what they say often has nothing to do with what they do. this often amazes me.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:19 AM   #20
mattmatt
Eskimo Baby

I've never heard of this guy.

I downloaded the song to see.

It's total crap.

- Matt
mattmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:37 PM
dubsrule87
This message has been deleted by dubsrule87.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:35 PM   #21
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsrule87
Okay, I know you didn't mean to be deliberately offensive there, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, never EVER say that about any musician ever again ... nobody deserves to have their career tarnished by such libellous slander!
Point taken, blame simon cowell! sorry lol, no i didn't mean it to be offensive. but i guess i would be quite offended if someone called me a crazy frog. i can see the comparison though, blunty would be allot better if his song wasn't rammed down my penguiny throat every day repetetively, and the crazy frog could be quite funny if i only saw it once.

Last edited by PenguinBoy; 09-04-2005 at 07:42 PM.
PenguinBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 07:49 PM   #22
cartman
Eskimo Regular

james blunt is absolutely ****E and his lyrics,..
absolute TRIPE
Old 09-04-2005, 07:50 PM   #23
cartman
Eskimo Regular

he's the songwritor equivalent of the crazy frog

That qoute is so true and thats how im gonna describe him from now on..
thanks penguin
Old 09-05-2005, 01:00 AM   #24
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

i never heard of that frog song though, kind of curious, it does add alot of fun in the chart list crazy frogs do have the voice, so they deserve a place too.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:37 AM   #25
Oisin
How Do U Keep Love Alive?

Default i've got a plan????

"I saw her in the subway she was with another man,
but i've bot a plan"...... ????

Whats he gonna do stalk her??? Kill the current boyfriend its his only option if he doesn't know the girl?? Who would think of writing about such shi**e.

I feel so wronged by my friend for recommending i buy this album, i don't listen to radio so i hadn't heard of him and YES! now i own a piece of plastic with his name on it??? Think i might use it as a coaster or something!!!

googled: i hate james blunt, below are the results.

"I hate him with every fibre of my being"
"his name is clearly a blend of BLAND and C**T put together"

Oh thats right we were comparing him to damien.......Yeah right!!!

What, what are the words
They use when they know it's over
"We need to talk," or
"I'm confused, maybe later you can come over"

Ryan Adams
Oisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:06 AM   #26
cille
creepycute

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNight
i never heard of that frog song though, kind of curious, it does add alot of fun in the chart list crazy frogs do have the voice, so they deserve a place too.
the crazy frog is a danish invention. oh i am so proud. haven't been this proud of danish music since aqua.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:05 PM   #27
marymac
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
i'm being stalked by the song 'you're beautiful' - just been to italy for a week and everywhere i went it was there; at the airport, in shops and supermarkets, from windows, on the subway, at a market, in a cafe - EVERY-FECKIN-WHERE!
Its on the playlist in my work. Every 40 minutes, guys. Every 40 minutes. No escape.

Last week I laughed at my friend who was flipping out and leaving the room when it was played at a party. Now I can see why he's doing it. Its ok once. After that you start listening and thats a bad bad idea....
Old 09-05-2005, 02:49 PM   #28
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marymac
Its on the playlist in my work. Every 40 minutes, guys. Every 40 minutes. No escape.
^ = torture.
cille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 03:24 PM   #29
walker
The Masked Eskimo

I hate that "poppy" sound in songs like in "your beautiful." Damien has such a sexy voice that could never be compared to someone as fake as James
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:30 PM   #30
Bumpman

Does anyone else find it a bit self-depreciating comparing artists to one another, wouldn't it be a bit more fitting to recognise each artist as an individual rather then trying to make diluted links between completely different styles of music.

People who have seen Damien and the band live will probably agree that "O" is not at all representative of what happens at their shows, and that calling them 'Damien Rice' is probably the most misleading thing you could do. It would be equally as descriptive to call them Tomo.

James Blunt on the other hand is a person who doesn't mind having his image splashed all over posters and television, and in my opinion is a person who has wasted his decent grasp of melody, on lyrics that make people cringe with pity.

You could waste a lot of time drawing up comparisons between acts like Joy Division and Interpol, Gang Of Four and Bloc Party or Pixies and Nirvana. The chances are though that you'll probably be missing out on the big picture. Firstly that music isn't something that's supposed to be condensed into digestable sentences so that no-one has to bother listening to it anymore, that's only for the kind of music critics that hate music. And secondly whoever you're listening to has probably decided to rip off The Beatles before they've decided to rip off anyone else anyway.
Bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote