Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 12-19-2006, 05:12 AM   #1
katiejoey
Eskimo Regular

Default chicago show

Ok, I just got home from the Chicago show at the Vic and I figured I'd write about it before I forget everything. First off, Swell Season was amazing! They were only able to play for 30 minutes because since it was an all ages show it had to be over by 10pm (somewhat of a disappointment but amazing all the same.) They played a few songs, the last being "Star Star" which was awesome and in the middle Glen busted out with a song from Willie Wonka, "There is no life I know to compare to pure imagination" - so cool!! He is such a good performer - so funny and entertaining and such beautiful music.
Damien came on about a half hour after they finished. Set list is as follows
- Rootless Tree
- Coconut Skins
- Woman like a man
- Volcano
- 9 crimes
- Elephant (still my all time favorite!!)
- Tounge
- Older Chests
- Amie
- Dogs (which he said this was the first time on this tour that he was playing it so we should feel very honored!)
- Vyv and Lisa singing Random Man
- Me My Yoke and I
- Cold Water
- The Professor (first time seeing Lisa sing this - I just love her!!)
- I managed to completely miss this next song. I had to use the washroom and must not have been paying attention - if anyone knows please share
- Animals were gone
- blower's daughter

It was such a good show. Damien didn't have much time to talk as he was on such a short schedule. He said he would just skip all the encore bulls&@t and just play unitl 10. I had awesome seats and took lots of pictures - if they come out i will post them soon. He also said they will be back in april or may sometime. i sure hope so!!
i waited around for about an hour afterwards but they didn't come out yet so i had to leave. i wish i could've stayed but i have an early morning tomorrow. So, i'm off to sleep now - great show - look forward to hearing from anyone that goes tomorrow.
katiejoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:51 AM   #2
Nick15
Eskimo Baby

Such a great show...I picked up Damo's album almost 3 years ago and have followed him ever since. My first show and also one of my favorite venues in chicago being the Vic...the sound was dead on tonight for both Damien and Lisa and I think that really made the show...the bass got too loud at some points, but I still loved the show and consider this to be one of the best even though he had to cut it a tad short.

I took some pics and have good vids...I will google vid them soon and post a link, my seats were very close (1st section on the left) so they are good shots.

Hope everyone who was there had a great time!
Nick15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:40 PM   #3
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

thanks for sharing
Old 12-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
katiejoey
Eskimo Regular

i agree Nick, it was a great show from beginning to end and the sound was amazing. the only thing that annoyed me was the obnoxious girl in fromt of me who felt the need to sing too loudly and make out with her boyfriend between songs. they were really going at it - at one point i was afraid they might take it too far. oh well, i guess Damien has a different effect for everyone.
by the way, Lisa and Vyv are just lovely - i love the way Lisa dresses!
Old 12-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #5
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Wow they played TONGUE!!!
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:03 PM   #6
Judaskin
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Wow they played TONGUE!!!
When he picked up the Telecaster and was messing with the distortion I was ready for Me, My Yoke and I, which has never been one of my favorite songs. I was not expecting to hear Tongue, which I had heard an older live recording of and really liked.

Really good show and setlist, but I wish they had been given more time to play. Damien stopped telling stories to fit more songs in, and it seemed like he wasn't looping and jamming at all because everything was rushed.
Judaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:31 PM   #7
poormonkey
Eskimo Baby

Well, I thought the crowd was a little up tight. When people were asking us to be quiet between songs, I thought that was a bit much. If I was whispering to the person who was with me between songs (nobody was playing at that moment), I don't think there is any harm in that. I hope the crowd tonight is a little more relaxed. Loosen up people.... Gold Circle one tonight, come on show....
The show was awesome, and it was nice seeing Damien being down to earth after the show before getting on the bus. He was chillen at their hotel in the bar area when they got back there as well. Too bad the bar closed at midnight or we would have bought Damien some drinks....

Last edited by poormonkey; 12-19-2006 at 06:41 PM.
poormonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:07 PM   #8
katiejoey
Eskimo Regular

that's so cool what time did they end up coming out? did you get to meet everyone? i agree about the crowd being a bit uptight. i realize it's rude to talk all loud when a band is performing but i see no problem with talking in between sets - or songs even. let us know how tinights show is!!

and yeah, tounge was pretty awesome. i always find after a show (especially a day or two after) it's hard to remember how everything was - maybe it's just me. i wish my memory was a little better!!
Old 12-20-2006, 06:36 AM   #9
That Guy
User Title?

Default Night 2

OK so i just got back from night two and I was front freakin center. His spit during the unplugged blowers daughter landed on my hand. I dont know if that's good or not. At the end of the show i snagged his water bottle and i'm not sure what im gonna do with that. Lisa was an angel tonight, and it was nice to see how into it she was. Anyways, heres the setlist, in order.

Delicate
Volcano
Rootless Tree (Sounds soooo much better on piano)
Coconut Skins
Childish
Elephant
Call me a bad eskimo, but I had no clue what this next unreleased song was.
Eskimo (Lisa's solo was incredible)
Another song which name i dont know (you shouldn't be here I feel awkward were the lyrics or somethin)
Cannonball
Amie
Accidental Babies, aborted halfway through
Woman Like a Man
Unplugged, un-mic'd blowers daughter
Cheers Darling w/Swell Seasons and lots of wine

Even though it appeared as if she was sleeping the whole show, I have the hots for Lisa.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:37 AM   #10
RumDiddlyYum
Eskimo Baby

What an awe-inspiring experience I had tonight. It was my first time seeing Damien live and I certainly was not disappointed. I feel so fortunate to have seen the show I did.

For a first timer, the setlist seemed pretty solid, easily digested.
RumDiddlyYum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:23 AM   #11
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
OK so i just got back from night two and I was front freakin center. His spit during the unplugged blowers daughter landed on my hand. I dont know if that's good or not. At the end of the show i snagged his water bottle and i'm not sure what im gonna do with that. Lisa was an angel tonight, and it was nice to see how into it she was. Anyways, heres the setlist, in order.

Delicate
Volcano
Rootless Tree (Sounds soooo much better on piano)
Coconut Skins
Childish
Elephant
Call me a bad eskimo, but I had no clue what this next unreleased song was.
Eskimo (Lisa's solo was incredible)
Another song which name i dont know (you shouldn't be here I feel awkward were the lyrics or somethin)
Cannonball
Amie
Accidental Babies, aborted halfway through
Woman Like a Man
Unplugged, un-mic'd blowers daughter
Cheers Darling w/Swell Seasons and lots of wine

Even though it appeared as if she was sleeping the whole show, I have the hots for Lisa.
Welcome! So you're that guy everyone's always hearing so much about.

Well, hmm. You could use the water bottle to wash the spit off your hand I s'pose. Sounds like the song after "Eskimo" may've been "Rat within the Grain" check our lyrics page here...

Last edited by Spamlet; 12-20-2006 at 09:26 AM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:01 AM   #12
jdub1892
Eskimo Friend

He also played The Professor, I'm thinking after Woman Like a Man, although I'm not positive
jdub1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:02 AM   #13
jdub1892
Eskimo Friend

And that 2nd unreleased song was definately not Rat Within the Grain
Old 12-20-2006, 12:14 PM   #14
rileyf
Eskimo Regular

unbelievable shows. both nights. words cannot describe the brilliance on stage monday and tuesday evenings at the vic. before i go any further, here is a 100% accurate set list from night 2:

THE SWELL SEASON:
(As with night 1, this amazingly talented band was only alotted 30 minutes because of the 10 o'clock curfew)

1.) This Low
2.) Drown Out
3.) Falling Slowly
4.) "If you hold me, satisfy me" (Marketa on guitar and Glen on piano)
5.) Star Star (Glen on his back)

DAMIEN RICE:

1.) Delicate
2.) Volcano (Piano Outro)>
3.) Rootless Tree (Piano w/ guitar still strapped on)
4.) Coconut Skins
5.) Childish
6.) Elephant>
7.) Face
8.) Eskimo
9.) "You shouldn't be here" (Very beautiful and climactic - I'm not sure if this one's ever been played)
10.) Cannonball
11.) Amie (No spaceship )
12.) Accidental Babies (Aborted - Damien just wasn't in the mood)
13.) The Professor (Very extended La Fille Danse, Lisa couldn't keep up!)
14.) Woman Like A Man
15.) The Blower's Daughter (Unplugged)
16.) Cheers Darlin' (Tomo on drums, Shane on bass, Vyv on cello, Lisa on wineglass, Glen on guitar, Marketa on piano, Damo on wine bottle )

I didn't think I was going to be able to go to the second show, but some verrry special circumstances worked themselves out . The acoustics in the venue were dead-on. Very clear. If someone taped either of the shows, I imagine the quality of the recording will be very good. The first show, Damien decided not to tell too many stories because of the strict curfew, but he managed to squeeze out a beautiful one about 9 Crimes. Something to do with "want" and "need" and trying to call your girlfriend who is very far away while both of you are out with friends... Night two, Damien told a story relative to chocolate for Volcano and continued the story into the unfortunately aborted Accidental Babies. It was very interesting to hear Damien poke around on the piano at the end of Volcano. Made a very interesting transition into Rootless Tree.

I was fortunate enough to meet Damien, Lisa, and Vyvienne. How sweet they all are!! I gave Lisa not one, but TWO, hugs (!!!) and kind of just did the typical fan praise for awhile. Talked to Vyv about her solo stuff, and talked to Damien about, well, lots of stuff. I gave him a hug, too . I found out that Damien does not like Indianapolis . Ummm... my friend and I ran into Lisa randomly on the street twice last night. She was shopping for Christmas gifts. She remembered my name from the previous night .

I don't really know what else to add... I wish Damien would have jammed out a little more, but he was in a strange happy/sarcastic mood both nights. I guess I'll be seeing him again in April or May!
Old 12-20-2006, 01:27 PM   #15
I'm So Childish
I reall am childish

[quote=That Guy]At the end of the show i snagged his water bottle and i'm not sure what im gonna do with that. QUOTE]

Can I recommend you taking a swab from it and storing it in your fridge so that maybe later on we can get a sample to begin the cloning process and have an entire band of Damien Rice's. Kind of like a Partridge Family ensemble. I think that would be very cool.
I'm So Childish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:36 PM   #16
jdub1892
Eskimo Friend

I loved "You Shouldn't Be Here", people definately need to hear that.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:28 AM   #17
aachoo9
Eskimo Baby

The Blowers Daughter was one of the best songs I've ever witnessed live!! Everyone was shouting requests at him, suddenly realized he was playing, then went DEAD silent and nobody moved an inch the entire song. It was beautiful. Damien was hilarious and charming in his own strange way... I can't wait until April/May!!!
aachoo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:07 AM   #18
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub1892
I loved "You Shouldn't Be Here", people definately need to hear that.
I agree, of course! So who taped it?
Old 12-22-2006, 09:35 AM   #19
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

my sister who was there said that Damien told the crowd he'll be back in Chicago around April or May.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:38 PM   #20
x5459
Eskimo Baby

Over at the trading section there's a link to a torrent of the show.

Here's the thread:
http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=12631
x5459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 02:16 AM   #21
Topspin047
tennis pro

wow i wanna hear 'dogs' live, you lucky chicagoans!
Old 12-31-2006, 01:33 AM   #22
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

C'mon, somebody's gotta have gotten at least part of the second night show? Really curious about the "You Shouldn't Be Here" one...
Old 12-31-2006, 04:50 AM   #23
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

that sounds like it was amazing.. i wanted to go but couldn't with finals coming up soon after
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote