Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-24-2003, 06:55 AM   #1
administrator
forum administrator

does anyone know how the nominations for these are formulated? do you think damien's in with a shout? i know he probably doesn't care, but i'd love to see him get nominated.

--------------

Dido, Amy Lee of Evanescence, Moby, Jason Mraz, Stacie Orrico, Brad Paisley and Pharrell Williams will be on hand to read nominations when the Recording Academy announces the nominees for the 46th GRAMMY Awards on Dec. 4. The Academy will name additional artists to announce nominations shortly.

The event will take place at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills. Academy President Neil Portnow and other key music industry leaders will be in attendance.

The 46th Annual GRAMMY Awards will originate from Staples Center in Los Angeles on Feb. 8, 2004 at 8 p.m. (ET/PT) and will be broadcast live on the CBS television network.

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 07:13 AM   #2
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Hey Emmett, I was thinking the same thing. I think he has a very good chance of getting nominated. click here and it explains the whole grammy nomination process,cheers!
http://www.grammy.com/awards/grammy/process.html

Edited by: jbalogh

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 07:14 AM   #3
Uno- X
Eskimo CSI

don't fgivev a f**k a flying f**k about Grammies.

Uno- X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 07:16 AM   #4
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

I do.... It does mean something to some people, not to everyone but that's ok.. To be nominated is an honor in my opinion..

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
Old 11-24-2003, 07:32 AM   #5
katinka
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno- X

woohaa, uno i agree. probably justin f**king timberlake is gonna win it again [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]
katinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 07:39 AM   #6
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Many cool and talented people have won , including many grammys bestowed upon the worthy band that is U2. Plus it exposes his music to people that otherwise wouldn't know about it. Perhaps it means more to Americans, but I am one, so...Edited by: jbalogh

Old 11-24-2003, 08:07 AM   #7
andrea02
Eskimo Regular

My experience with artists here in Nashville has been that they regard The Grammy Awards as the BIG IMPORTANT award show. Mostly because its voted on by their peers not the record companies or thousands of teenage girls. Additionally, the voting is generally based on the srtength of the music as art, not by record sales.

I realize that Americans may have a greater love for the Grammies than others...that is those of us that have some understanding of the industry as a whole. I know that personally I hold the Grammies up on a higher plane than the other award shows. Anyway, I copies some stuff from the Grammy website below.

Who can vote?
Recording Academy voting members only. Record companies do not vote.

Who qualifies as a Voting Member?
Recording Academy voting members are professionals with creative or technical credits on six commercially released tracks (or their equivalent). These may include vocalists, conductors, songwriters, composers, engineers, producers, instrumentalists, arrangers, art directors, album notes writers, narrators and music video artists and technicians.

What are the eligibility requirements?
For the 46th Annual GRAMMY Awards, recordings must be released from October 1, 2002 to September 30, 2003. Recordings must be in general distribution in the U.S., i.e. sales by label to a branch or recognized independent distributor, via Internet, or mail order/retail sales for a nationally marketed product.

Who can enter recordings?
Voting members, associate members, as well as music video companies, record labels — major and independent — who have registered with the Awards department.

How are recordings entered?
The Academy accepts entries online. After registering with the Awards department, entrants are given information on how to electronically submit their recordings for consideration. Recordings can also be entered via mail.

andrea02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 10:57 AM   #8
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Oh, please....that's the same show that gave something like five Grammy's to Norah Jones last year.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 03:50 PM   #9
andrea02
Eskimo Regular

Yeah and she is an incredibly talented jazz musician. You should give her CD a listen.
andrea02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 05:05 PM   #10
administrator
forum administrator

yeah i like norah jones too

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 05:56 PM   #11
Angela
Eskimo Regular

I'm not saying she isn't a talented singer. I just think she doesn't deserve *five* Grammy's. It's not like she has revolutionized music in *any* way! There are plenty of musicians more talented than her who've received fewer or none. And look at the nomination of Avril Lavigne, a complete marketing fabrication.

To me Norah's win was much more indicative of American's taste for easily digestible mainstream music (and I mean "mainstream" in the sense that the music she performs is particularly popular in the US) performed by somebody easy to look at.

And then there was 'Your Body Is A Wonderland'.

Sorry, but we'll have to disagree on that one.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 08:02 AM   #12
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

here here angela... the grammys are a load of crap and the day damien rice wins one is a very sad day for me anyways... whats next? an mtv award? [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:30 AM   #13
Uno- X
Eskimo CSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by katinka

Quote:

woohaa, uno i agree. probably justin f**king timberlake is gonna win it again [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]*[img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]
absolutely right. Than god Norah jones hasn't released anything rhis year.

Old 11-26-2003, 03:12 AM   #14
katinka
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeweller
whats next? an mtv award? [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]

naaaaaa no mtv awards for damien. these prices go to top artists like justin f**king timberlake [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2003, 05:40 AM   #15
mierk
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
absolutely right. Than god Norah jones hasn't released anything rhis year.
Sorry, I'll have to disagree. I've seen her live, got her cd and picked up a couple of live shows. Maybe she's not your cup of tea, but there's no need to hate on Norah just cuz she's well known or because she's good looking.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:42 AM   #16
Uno- X
Eskimo CSI

umm... I used to like her but then she got all those grammys and somehow I just don't like her anymore.

Old 11-26-2003, 06:10 AM   #17
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

WOW so much hostility towards recognition. All it means when you get honored for your work is that people like what you do.. That can't be a bad thing.. The more popular artists get it seems people start dumping on them, Don't you guy's realize that Damien is so talented that when people hear him they fall in love with his music, just like we did.. It will happen he will get more famous with every tour every new album he puts out, and that isn't a bad thing.. Musicians like touching as many people as they can reach with their music, that's why they do it. Otherwise Damien would just stay in his room and play for himself.. Yikes, I'm a yoga teacher and I feel I need to hold an online yoga class for you guy's and get rid of all of this resentment and hostility...lol.. Peace and namaste Edited by: jbalogh

Old 11-26-2003, 06:56 AM   #18
Uno- X
Eskimo CSI

I stiil don't like her. So what!?

Old 11-26-2003, 06:58 AM   #19
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

I'm not talking about Norah Jones. I am talking about Damien...Edited by: jbalogh

Old 11-26-2003, 07:03 AM   #20
Uno- X
Eskimo CSI

Oh. Sorry.

Old 11-26-2003, 07:06 AM   #21
katinka
Eskimo Regular

but i'm still sure damien doesn't give a sh*t about awards. he just wants to play.

for us that is
Old 11-26-2003, 07:11 AM   #22
Uno- X
Eskimo CSI

I like Damo's 'I don't give a flyinig f**k about anything' attitude.

Old 11-26-2003, 07:16 AM   #23
katinka
Eskimo Regular

[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2003, 10:37 AM   #24
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Ok I give up, class is over.. Grammys be damned..lol..Edited by: jbalogh

Old 11-26-2003, 02:07 PM   #25
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
I like Damo's 'I don't give a flyinig f**k about anything' attitude.

its hard sometimes to like him cos of that attitude... like at witnness this year when he came out and had a big grin and i felt like he was playing and he knew he didnt have to impress anyone cos everyone was already worshipping him... plus he played terrible on a big stage and im more used to the intimate gigs and i hope he goes back to playing them... not infront of 60,000 people

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 03:41 PM   #26
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Wow I am so bummed, I guess you guy's were right [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
The grammy voters, nominated the same old slew of artists.. Justin Timberlake, Jay Z and Beyonce got alot of nominations and Damien nothing[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img] I guess at least Coldplay got a nod, but still I really thought that Damien would get acknowledged[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img] I know alot of you really don't care but I feel badly [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img] I find it hard to believe that the grammy voters could hear his album and not think that it should be up for album of the year?Edited by: jbalogh

Old 12-04-2003, 04:43 PM   #27
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

How do you know they heard it?
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 04:58 PM   #28
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

I believe his managers would have submitted his album for consideration[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Old 12-05-2003, 09:21 AM   #29
Varuna
Eskimo Regular

well some people just don't have taste or souls for that matter. ( am talking abt people who nominate ppl for the grammys )

let them soak andperish in their pathetic airbrushed world full of bling bling, personal trainers , fad diets , super thin anorexic girls,more backing vocals than vocals , more dance moves than voice box moves, manufactured commercial shyte.[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

(i didn't know there was so much angst inside of me abt the world we live in [img]smileys/smiley25.gif[/img])
Old 12-06-2003, 12:10 AM   #30
evil_angel
Eskimo Baby

I think it's kind of early for Damien to be getting Grammy nominations. He's hardly well-known, and I'm sure we all realize that you have to be pretty mainstream in your category to be receiving this crappy/prestigious (depending on your view) type of thing. For artists like The White Stripes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Sigur Ros to be even looked at this year is a big step for the awards show. Hopefully, some credit will be given where credit is due (i.e. The White Stripes walking away with Album of the Year. Not, for instance, Missy Elliot.)

I'm hoping this yearwill besome kind of revolution or something...and by next year we'll be loving and anxiously awaiting the Grammys...Hmm, doubtful. [img]smileys/smiley24.gif[/img]
evil_angel is offline   Reply With Quote