Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 03-14-2004, 08:48 AM   #1
mizbitsy
Eskimo Baby

Hi all! As we all have different interpretations of songs I just wondered what some of your own were of eskimo friends, as I could come up with many dufferent angles on it, and was interested to know what others thought!

S x
mizbitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
Enoch
Eskimo Regular

For me, the song is about soulsearching.

Welcome Miz [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2004, 06:44 PM   #3
Bumpman

i guess the problem there would be that many of us eskimo's will have heard damien in different concerts or bootlegs explaining the songs in detail...

the one's he usually talks about are amie, older chests, eskimo, me my yoke & i, cheers darlin', i remember, the professor & volcano. There's an odd time when he explains other one's... he never talks about the blower's daughter though... it's a fu*ked up song when you find out what it's really about. [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
Bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 09:33 PM   #4
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

The professor really? Never heard that one.

He's also explained cold water.

Someone should do a whats this song about faq.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:57 PM   #5
Bumpman

the professor is about being male and being confused about your body parts...

yeah, he explained cold water & delicate too.
Bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:46 PM   #6
mizbitsy
Eskimo Baby

Hi,

Ive never been to see him so I cant comment, but can u tell me what what he said re: eskimo and also I have to know what the blowers daughter is about, as it is an odd song?

S x
mizbitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:14 PM   #7
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Okay this is my memory of how it happened, correct the bits I get wrong gang.

Eskimo is kind of the first 'Damien Rice' song... he was still in Juniper and was trying to write a song... he couldn't... eventually he gave up and threw the guitar across the room... then realised it was his friends guitar and ran and picked it up.

He sat down and just strummed it to see if it was okay and that was the first chord of Eskimo... right there and then the song just spilled out. The pauses at the start of the song are him waiting for the words to come into his head...

The 'Eskimo Friend' reference was because there was a picture of his friend on the ground. She was Finnish and "looked kind of like an eskimo"... she had just gone back home to Finland.

Anyway, that song was when he realised that he couldn't force the music, but had to just let it fall out when it wanted to come...
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 08:01 PM   #8
neil_eats
Eskimo Regular

when i saw him live at bristol he explained cannonball in a dead funny way (im gonna use quotation but this is a rough idea of what he exactly said, a word or two out no doubt) 'you see cannonball is all about, you know when you walk into a field full of cows and you walk up to them and they walk away, then you run towards then and they start to run then you chase them and they run like f**k. but if you go intothe field and lie down all the cows will come to youand sniff around you. and thats what cannonball is about.'
neil_eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 08:36 PM   #9
Angela
Eskimo Regular

[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 09:46 PM   #10
andy1881
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels
Okay this is my memory of how it happened, correct the bits I get wrong gang.

Yup, I think that explanation is on the VH-1 interviews
andy1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:18 AM   #11
mattbeswick
Eskimo Regular

Okay, here are the two that I can remember:

(Rough quotations used)

Volcano - it's about being at a point in time when you're really really close to someone. You sit there, and you just feel that it's the right time to take things further, and you go to kiss them... just at that moment, they move away and you're left kneeling infront of them with your arms around their legs thinking "f**k". But then there's another time when they go to kiss you, and for some reason you move away, and they're left kneeling there on the floor infront of you.

Cold Water - he'd had an arguement with his mum the night he wrote it, and he woke up after having adream he was dying of brain cancer. When he sat up in bed, clutching his head he just wanted to speak to his mum. He also mentioned something about only turning to god when "something really f**king bad happens".

Baby Sister - there were 2 kids who lived with their dad after their mum moved away when they were young (died maybe). He used to go out to the pub and get drunk, then come back and beat one of them. Secretly they each hoped it would be the other person, but didn't want to admit even to themselves.

Blowers Daughter - apparently it was written about Lisa, but I'm not sure of the exact story - I remember him saying somewhere that everyone says it's a beautiful song but the amount of hurt that happened before he wrote it was massive.
mattbeswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 10:19 AM   #12
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

I don't think Blowers Daughter is about Lisa. It's about the daughter of his flute or claronet teacher... He didn't meet Lisa until much later...
Old 03-16-2004, 11:31 AM   #13
mattbeswick
Eskimo Regular

Wheels - now I think about it, it could have been 'delicate'... not sure though - can't remember. ~Ponders~
Old 03-16-2004, 12:31 PM   #14
tj
Phono Vox

Wheels, what exactly is the Blower's Daughter about?

Anyone know the scenario (is that spelt wrong?) that Sand was written around?
Old 03-16-2004, 01:17 PM   #15
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Blowers Daughter is just about how he obsessed over the daughter of his flute teacher... No major storyline that I remember.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:38 PM   #16
Unabashed
Eskimo Baby

You'll find it is about lisa.

As is Cannonball and The Blower's Daughter Pt 2.

I'd explain but its like delving into someones personal life and thats not cool
Unabashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 08:38 PM   #17
Martini
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabashed
You'll find it is about lisa.

As is Cannonball and The Blower's Daughter Pt 2.

who saidthose were about lisa? [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]this is how rumors start..
Old 03-16-2004, 10:47 PM   #18
Unabashed
Eskimo Baby

Damien said at a gig that Cannonball was about lisa, she went red and nearly walked off stage. Tomo hit his head on the drums.

The Blower's daughter pt 2...

Seems to me everyone here knows that Damo is going out with some new girl, but she doesn't compare to lisa....Lets look at the evidence...

" You can't paint and elephant as good as she"check O's album inlay for the art work. Cred goes to Damo and lisa.

" And she may rise if I sing her down..."

Also in the distortion he sings, " I can do it on my own I can live alone" - fact is Damo IS turnin up the volume on alot of songs and droning her out. It seems shes a very big part of his success story. I don't know, maybe hes feelin a bit like, hey u know I can do it without you or whatever.

He sung at vicar street..." You can both keep me pinned, but its easier totease, and I know you can make me happy, quite as good as me, but I know thats a lie" He's got one girl he's going out with and another on his mind. Its just an assumption, butit all points to lisa.

The fact thats itsalso called The BlowersDaughter part 2 is a bit of a give away to part one.

IF you check the juniper back catalogue you can just about trace everything. He tells stories about all his songs BAR the blowers daughter. OK, well if it was his flute teachers daughter, then whyoh why doesn't it get discussed on stage with lisa?

On the KCWR sessions the DJ actually gets it out ofdamo that the version you hear him singing on O was actually the one recordedin front of the blower's daughter, to gain that 'spine tingly' effect he felt the song was missin'. He then continues to say ' I dunno how you got that out of me '.

OK yeh he could of gotten some old flute teachers daughter, but thats bollocks, its lisa for god sake the mans obsessed with the girl.

Oh and in cannonball and sand ' wake up young girl' , just feels like when these were written he was embracing a girl he felt was younger than him, something he didn't want to screw up. Which he did.
Unabashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 11:18 PM   #19
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
On the KCWR sessions the DJ actually gets it out of*damo that the version you hear him singing on O was actually the one recorded*in front of the blower's daughter, to gain that 'spine tingly' effect he felt the song was missin'. He then continues to say ' I dunno how you got that out of me '.
I don't remember that. Which of the session was that? [img]smileys/smiley23.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 11:25 PM   #20
Hannah
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
You can't paint and elephant as good as she"check O's album inlay for the art work. Cred goes to Damo and lisa

but just because that elephant was painted by lisa AND damien doesn't mean that that's the same one the girl painted for him. could have been a replica. i doubt he would put the same elephant drawn by the girl, on the album and much less t-shirts and things as that seems somewhat personal.

i don't think they're about lisa. but hell what do i know!! [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:00 AM   #21
tj
Phono Vox

In the Cannonall DVD Damo says that he had to get the "blowers daughter" and play the song in front of her to give him the "shrivels". As he says these words it shows him standing singing the Blower's Daughter infront of Lisa in a split screen. I thought that was a bit weird. Edited by: tj_rev
Old 03-17-2004, 12:31 PM   #22
mattbeswick
Eskimo Regular

Groovin' - written when he was 16 about someone he used to follow to school... haven't managed to work out the full story - only heard him talk about this song when he's in one of his rambling moods :P
Old 03-17-2004, 05:31 PM   #23
Bumpman

Yeah, Groovin' was the first song he wrote... but i remember him saying once that he hadnt really felt that deeply about anyone at that time... so he just invented someone to write a song about [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] typical of him too.

The whole story behind The Blower's Daughter as far as i know happened when he was 18-19, and yeah it's about his flute teacher's daughter... but she was an odd bit younger then him, he was an odd bit older then her and he was f*cking obsessed with her, and although he never acted on it, he still felt quite a bit guilty... so for obvious reasons he dosent like talking about it, i guess mostly because some narrow minded people would start to think he was a bit dodgy for fancying someone who was too young.

I suppose if he was going out with lisa at some point he might have changed the lyrics to reflect their relationship... but it's VERY UNLIKE him to change the lyrics of a song once he already has a definite version.
There is a lot of emotion in the song though so obviously he was pretty obsessed... i may be missing some minor details on this story, but only because it's only been told once or possibly even twice. The song wasn't written with Lisa in mind though... In fact this thread is the first i've ever heard of it.Edited by: Bumpman
Old 03-17-2004, 05:48 PM   #24
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
i guess mostly because some narrow minded people would start to think he was a bit dodgy for fancying someone who was too young.

. Another one he rarely tells is Prague, anyone know???
In the bellX1 version of volcano the lyric goes "She's still too young to bleed". Same girly perhaps.

All I've heard him say about Prague is some thing like "this is a song about what jealousy can d oto you."
Old 03-17-2004, 08:07 PM   #25
Bumpman

Yeah, but i think that lyric was a contribution by Paul Noonan, because on the original demo on the volcano single, Damien sings "still too young to treat"... i don't think he ever liked that lyric, it is a bit provocative, isn't it? i guess that a perk of splitting from juniper and starting the Damien Rice Band is that he has most of the creative control.

I think i'm glad for that in a way.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:24 PM   #26
Si_B
Eskimo Baby

Have I missed something here? Is there a link between Damo and Bell x1?
Old 03-17-2004, 08:25 PM   #27
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Yes. Bell x1 is the new name for Juniper, which is the band Damien started with.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:31 PM   #28
Si_B
Eskimo Baby

Bloody hell, I had no idea. I saw Bell x1 supporting Aqualung on Saturday and thought they were ace! Now I think they are twice as good!
Old 03-17-2004, 08:33 PM   #29
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Yeah they're good alright.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:36 PM   #30
Si_B
Eskimo Baby

Wot did Damien do in the band? Was he lead vocals in them days?