Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-06-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
Steve Invisible
Invisible Eskimo

Default Why only positive reviews?

I don't mean to step on anyones toes, but why are there only positive reviews on the reviews page?

I've seen a number of negative reviews and surely in the interest of fair and balanced reporting they should be shown too?
Steve Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
Niko
Eskimo Regular

Yeah, I think negative reviews should be included as well. There was one posted here on the forum a while back that I was looking for earlier today, and it'd be so much easier if they were collected along with the "bad" reviews.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Invisible
I don't mean to step on anyones toes, but why are there only positive reviews on the reviews page?

I've seen a number of negative reviews and surely in the interest of fair and balanced reporting they should be shown too?
Because we're not about unbiased journalistic integrity. We're a FAN site. We really like Damien Rice. We promote him. We may not love every single thing he makes but posting outright "pans" doesn't make much sense in a fan based setting.

Besides which, bad reviews are often posted in the forum so that people can disagree with them. Not having that option on the reviews page would likely just lead to the same thing where someone starting a thread about how that reviewer doesn't "get it". People aren't about to just accept them without a rebuttal.

Edit: thanks for the heads up, Niko. I've actually already transcribed all of them here but not in one thread. Off to help the big guy out.

Last edited by Spamlet; 11-06-2006 at 07:11 PM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
Niko
Eskimo Regular

Spamlet, you're needed over here!
Old 11-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #5
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
Because we're not about unbiased journalistic integrity. We're a FAN site. We really like Damien Rice. We promote him. We may not love every single thing he makes but posting outright "pans" doesn't make much sense in a fan based setting.

Besideswhich, bad reviews are often posted in the forum so that people can disagree with them. Not having that option on the reviews page would likely just lead to the same thing where someone starting a thread about how that reviewer doesn't "get it". People aren't about to just accept them without a rebuttal.
I disagree. A fan may want to read the negative reviews, as well. I'm one of them. I want to hear what other people think even if I disagree with them.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:52 PM   #6
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

There will be millions of reviews. Only a selection of the best could be posted. Any of the negative reviews I've heard so far have been rediculous... written by people who disliked it before they heard it and didn't listen to it all. So why would they be put up?

Bad journalism shouldn't be rewarded.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:55 PM   #7
tj
Phono Vox

As someone from round here said a while ago... you don't see many critics giving a real, acceptable reason for not liking something... maybe that's why you haven't seen a bad review on the reviews page... cause most bad reviews are actually badly written... maybe its something to do with the person not being passionate about their dislike... but thats another conversation.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #8
administrator
forum administrator

i was going to start a post the other day about this, wondering if people wanted me to put up negative reviews as well. i usually put up reviews if they're well written, from major, reputable sources. i haven't come across many (can't remember any at the moment) major negative reviews yet. but i did start the website to promote damien rice, so i'm not sure if it's what should be done... i'd like to hear all your opinions though.

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:07 PM   #9
Dwahvel
Swan Diver

I agree with Spamlet in that this is a fan site, its for promoting Damien.
Negative reviews perhaps can be posted in the forum rather than in the general review section, and people can discuss them here.
The exception could be if they were well written, critiquing the album instead of just criticizing it - and the only bad reviews I've seen just bashed it without intelligent critique.

IMO, one doesn't come to a fan site to read/hear the person they are a fan of be bashed.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:11 PM   #10
Angela
Eskimo Regular

I'm generally more of a completist and like to hear it all, good or bad. With the to expected barrage of reviews, clearly the admins have to to exercise their editorial powers. I don't mind the occasional negative review, as long as it is well reasoned and addresses the album's music.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:47 PM   #11
purebloom
Eskimo Friend

I would like to read both postive and negative reviews. However, I would prefer they are both from reputable, major sources.
purebloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:37 PM   #12
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
We really like Damien Rice. We promote him. We may not love every single thing he makes but posting outright "pans" doesn't make much sense in a fan based setting.guy out.

dont speak on my behalf
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:11 PM   #13
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

As long as it's not rubbish like "Damien Rice sucks" or something like that, I don't see why there's no room on a fan site for negative reviews. I have tons of artists that I am a huge fan of but would detest reading unnecessary praise for a record or a performance that doesn't deserve it. It is not true that the artist can do no wrong in the eyes of his or her fans.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:12 PM   #14
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

But are there any reviews like that out there? The well written and reasoned negative reviews? I haven't seen any...

Old 11-06-2006, 10:14 PM   #15
tywy
Eskimo Regular

I'm looking forward to pitchfork reviewing this album...they weren't mad on O at all I think it got 6 point something...ugh pitchfork can be pretty annoying at times
tywy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:27 PM   #16
tuckatangent
Eskimo Regular

I would read some negative reviews, if they were well-written. I love reading reviews from all different perspectives.

Here's a negative one that may have some valid points: Damo review

Last edited by tuckatangent; 11-06-2006 at 10:57 PM.
tuckatangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:42 PM   #17
damosmymuse
Eskimo painter

I'd read a negative review.

why not?
damosmymuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:51 PM   #18
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

i agree with the idea of posting negative reviews of reputable sources that are well written.
Five Leaves Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:28 AM   #19
Steve Invisible
Invisible Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator
i was going to start a post the other day about this, wondering if people wanted me to put up negative reviews as well. i usually put up reviews if they're well written, from major, reputable sources. i haven't come across many (can't remember any at the moment) major negative reviews yet. but i did start the website to promote damien rice, so i'm not sure if it's what should be done... i'd like to hear all your opinions though.
Okay it is a fan site, and it is your site to do as you please with, of course.

However, is GigWise.com a "Major Reputable Source"? It's not exactally rolling stone magazine now is it?

I don't mean to come across as if I'm having a go, I'm really not, but I think its unfair that there appears to be a suggestion here (not from you mind, but from others) that the negative reviews are anti-damo. This is not always the case, I've read a few that were critical of 9 and that were in equal measure scathing and well written. However, it didn't effect my opinion of Damo or of 9, thankfully I have a mind of my own to make decisions like that, but I still enjoy knowing what other people think, and if nothing else it provokes debate, and gets Damo discussed in a non "oh he's our hero" kind of way.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:55 AM   #20
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela
I'm generally more of a completist and like to hear it all, good or bad. With the to expected barrage of reviews, clearly the admins have to to exercise their editorial powers. I don't mind the occasional negative review, as long as it is well reasoned and addresses the album's music.
me too, I like my sweet with a sprinkle of bitter on top.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:27 PM   #21
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlttrGrrl
I disagree. A fan may want to read the negative reviews, as well. I'm one of them. I want to hear what other people think even if I disagree with them.
agreed

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:41 PM   #22
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Well here is the latest negative review I've found... from 411mania.com

'I had planned on writing at length about 9 but as I composed my thoughts on what's wrong with the record (oops, have I given the game away?), one which fans have been waiting 4 years for I figured out that I could sum it up in one sentence …

"It's just not that good."

I really like 4 songs, 2 of the songs that I like live are big let downs and there are a couple of songs that I really dislike.

So there you have it'

Is that really worth posting as a permanent part of the reviews section? In a thread on the forum, no problem... but this doesn't rate as a review worth immortalising to me.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:49 PM   #23
Steve Invisible
Invisible Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels
Is that really worth posting as a permanent part of the reviews section? In a thread on the forum, no problem... but this doesn't rate as a review worth immortalising to me.
No, of course that's not, that's just very lazy, unintelligent twaddle but what about the Guardian piece that someone up above posted that was both well written and negative.

All I'm trying to get across is that it is possible for this place to be a fan site without being a mouthpiece.

Just some tunes of mine (demo versions only)
Old 11-07-2006, 03:56 PM   #24
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels
Well here is the latest negative review I've found... from 411mania.com

'I had planned on writing at length about 9 but as I composed my thoughts on what's wrong with the record (oops, have I given the game away?), one which fans have been waiting 4 years for I figured out that I could sum it up in one sentence …

"It's just not that good."

I really like 4 songs, 2 of the songs that I like live are big let downs and there are a couple of songs that I really dislike.

So there you have it'

Well at least he kept it brief.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:06 AM   #25
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

yes, more negativity please. that's what this place really needs.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:08 AM   #26
anylayman
Eskimo Baby

I've read quite a few negative reviews where I agree with the points they make, but not the rating. It seems a lot of the shorter reviews come across as more harsh than intended because they're so abrupt. Or maybe the reviewers are just dicks, I dunno.

I liked this one:
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=13439
anylayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:29 AM   #27
atagher
Eskimo Baby

its a positive cd dumbass
atagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:28 PM   #28
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by atagher
its a positive cd dumbass
If you write something like this and mean it as a friendly jibe then add a smiley, such as

If you mean it as an insult then do not post it here, we're all friends

Old 11-15-2006, 07:43 PM   #29
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Invisible
No, of course that's not, that's just very lazy, unintelligent twaddle but what about the Guardian piece that someone up above posted that was both well written and negative.
Or it's the opening couple of paragraphs in a column that's a few thousand words long and is about more than 9.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:15 AM   #30
timmay!
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Because we're not about unbiased journalistic integrity. We're a FAN site.
Personally I wouldn't mind reading negative reviews. I have a brain & I am capable of making up my own mind about things.

I am a fan, but if other people think he's made a bad album, it wouldn't bother me to read a negative review, if it was presented in a thoughtful and reasoned manner. Mindless bashing is equally as pointless and banal as rabid fanboyism.
timmay! is offline   Reply With Quote