Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

View Poll Results: Edgier, softer, same, just play?
Going more harder but only live 20 27.40%
Going harder on albums and live 12 16.44%
About the same 4 5.48%
Just let him play 37 50.68%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2007, 04:05 AM   #1
poe11371
Lost Eskimo

Question A "different" sound coming from Damien?

I didn't get to ask him about this the other night when I was talking to him - mostly due to the shock that he actually stopped to talk to me and some others after the gig - but do you think Damien is going to a harder, electric guitar based, aggressive sound?

I noticed it in the show in Boston and in some of the recent videos from radio shows and such that there is more emotion on his face and in his snarls as he sings. Go watch the YouTube video for "Rootless Tree" from the Abbey Road studios. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlnpedLeGbo From about the 3 minute mark and on is a small taste of what I mean and not a very good example but it counts for some.

Granted Damien did play the death metal version of "Blowers Daughter" last December when he was here (Boston) last and that was mostly done for a laugh. I suppose. The other night he played more than a few songs on electric guitar and not as much on his old trusted acoustic. Not saying that the new sound is bad, it's just interesting and thus far enjoyable, to me, and hope to here more of it coming from him.

Oh, and how come he still can't get the lyrics right for Accidental Babies? Second time I heard him perform it live and second time he messed up a bit. Not that he changed the lyrics, he forgot the correct line and just mumbles it out.

And another thing, if anyone is at another show and the do the percussion jam during/after Coconut Skins ... don't yell out "I want more cowbell" ... it's been done.

Last edited by poe11371; 05-27-2007 at 04:08 AM.
poe11371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:05 AM   #2
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

about the same and let him play... in my own opinion, he's one of the only true artist out there with heart... He shows true raw emotion unlike any other, the things he does sets him apart from the boys and girls, and from everyone else by a huge leap... It's just Damien Rice been Damien Rice...
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:18 AM   #3
poe11371
Lost Eskimo

Talking my reason for this thread

I personally enjoy Damien's music - with or without Lisa (though I missed he so at the last show) - and also when he was in Juniper. I would like to see him "rock out" in his own sort of Damien way on a record as he pulls it off so easily live.

One thing no one seems to talk about as I am sure it has been at least recognized - with the help of just some pedal effects he rocks a well played beat up old acoustic and plays it almost like and electric at times. He could most easily drift over and make a harder edgier album and I am sure it will be throughly enjoyed by all.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:59 AM   #4
fersen
in Paris...

One of the things that makes the richness of Damien is his variety. Variety in an album or in a song ("I remenber" or "Elephant" for example). A "soft "moment is more intense after a "hard" moment and vice versa. Why should he concentrate on only one mood when he is so rich ?
Damien will do in the future what he wants, what he feels like, as real artists do. I hate when "artists" (that shows they're not in fact) change because "you have to change", to evolve, when the creation path is thought and not felt.

P.S: I don't recon he'll change his "old folk guitare" for more often an electric one because this bloody old irish guitare gives him an incredibly beautiful sound. This guitare is part of him (like Lisa...,oups...)
fersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:01 AM   #5
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

haha it is probably "harder" not "more harder"

gahh im annoying

http://thatgirlwiththefreckles.blogspot.com/
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
cille
creepycute

Ooh. I thought this thread was about flatulens. But yeah I'd like him to rock out more either way.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:47 AM   #7
colibriink
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
Ooh. I thought this thread was about flatulens. But yeah I'd like him to rock out more either way.
Cille I'm going to start following you around like an annoying little sister, or cousin, or something... whenever I need some comic relief.
colibriink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:50 AM   #8
colibriink
Eskimo Friend

Wink

"Harder, Damien harder.... ooooh yeah, that's it... that's good. More harder..."
Old 05-28-2007, 01:59 AM   #9
poe11371
Lost Eskimo

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
Ooh. I thought this thread was about flatulens.
That, my friend, made my little thread so worth posting. Cheers.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:11 AM   #10
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

i'm all for the edgier/rockier course of action. i was kind of expecting that from 9 since he had always talked about it being a harder album, but except for me, my yoke and i it wasn't really.. so i'd like to hear one from him sometime. i love that aspect of his music and i don't think it would necessarily mean he would abandon dynamics and the acoustic flavor of his songwriting..
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:41 AM   #11
EskimoKaveri
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by colibriink
"Harder, Damien harder.... ooooh yeah, that's it... that's good. More harder..."
Gosh that sounds dirrrty! Damien don't stop!
EskimoKaveri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #12
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

to add to my post, he' definetly adding/showing more raw emotion. and with these new emotions, it's getting louder and he's letting the cannonball loose...
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:44 PM   #13
colibriink
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
i'm all for the edgier/rockier course of action. i was kind of expecting that from 9 since he had always talked about it being a harder album, but except for me, my yoke and i it wasn't really..
What about Rootless Tree? It starts out soft and sweet, but he definitely changes his tune... it's a slightly angry song, lol.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #14
audity
High-Five Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoKaveri
We like dirty around here.

"Don't worry, ma'am...I've got permits for these."
-The Todd

"For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight."
-William Butler Yeats (1865-1939), Irish poet, playwright
audity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:29 AM   #15
mucker
Eskimo Mucker

Let the Artist evolve...saw road tired kiddo Friday Night in DC. The show was a 4 man gig on stage. And it was sublime.
When Art stops evolving, it becomes a one time piece. Like Joni Mitchell said: 'No one ever asked Van Gogh: "Hey, paint a Starry Night again, Man!"'
Old 05-31-2007, 02:27 AM   #16
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

^ i love that line from miles of aisles

Quote:
What about Rootless Tree? It starts out soft and sweet, but he definitely changes his tune... it's a slightly angry song, lol.
most of his songs are. i was pretty underwhelmed by the album version of this song to be honest. the new piano version is beautiful and heartwrenching but the guitar version had so much potential to go balls to the wall (so to speak) and it never quite made it.. the ending is terrible, does anyone else think the piano part there sounds like the ditty you played as a kid where you rap your knuckles up and down the black keys? it annoys me

i wouldn't say 9 is indicative of edgier, harder damien in any way, shape or form. anyone who's seen him play live knows how intense he can be, i'd like to hear that captured on a record
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:46 AM   #17
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Lets' face it, Rootless tree on 9 is POP!!!

I think he's definetely going for a heavier sound live, but not sure for the next record. If you take into acount the newies we have (What this night is for, Is that it my friend, Slow, You shouldn't be here,...) they're all kinda beautiful and slow maybe a bit dark but not in a edgy-angry way...

Didn't he say album 3 was gonna be happy????
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:36 AM   #18
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

i voted just let him play cause i think it just depends on his mood. i don't think the direction has changed, i think he just plays what he wants, plays what he is feeling at the moment, and just has fun.

to me, it doesnt seem like his style has changed, but instead it feels like he is actually ENJOYING this tour as oppossed to the last tour, which he didn't even speak to the audience half the time.
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:54 PM   #19
coreyb
eskiphotographer

he's been playing the same way live since i saw him for the first time 4 years ago... same pedals, etc... the only thing that's changed is he bought a dedicated electric guitar (and what a nice one it is) instead of using an overdrive pedal to make his acoustic sound like an electric... let the man play as he always has...
coreyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:21 AM   #20
knives!
Eskimo Baby

as good an album as O is, it seems to have given to general public this notion that he's a soft-strumming cofee house acoustic dream. if you've any listening experience with juniper or his work with the band before O (see face, tongue, yoke and i, et. al) then this "different" sound seems less different. but thats me.
i just enjoy his music and find his willingness to do whatever he wants, or un-willingness to stick to what people think he should be doing inspirational.
knives! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:32 AM   #21
Ithilsul
Eskimo Baby

From what I've heard, O seems to be the "different" sound, just happens to be what made him famous. When I heard he was coming out with another album, i thought "damn, good luck topping O". I don't think 9 topped it, but it was different, reflected his live feel more, and I really like it for different reasons than O... but thats whats good about Damien, he's not one of those every-song-sounds-the-same types.

I liked when he'd use effects pedals on his accoustic more than just using an electric guitar... which i personally haven't seen him do in a while (but then I don't see everything). Although i approve of his telecastic choice in electric.

Anyway, I think his music is changing, but if you're not moving you're standing still.
Ithilsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #22
colibriink
Eskimo Friend

Default definition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithilsul

I liked when he'd use effects pedals on his accoustic more than just using an electric guitar... which i personally haven't seen him do in a while (but then I don't see everything). Although i approve of his telecastic choice in electric.
What does 'telecastic' mean? Sorry, I don't play any instruments...

Christa
Old 06-03-2007, 05:55 PM   #23
Calum
Eskimo Regular

^ Well, it should probably be "teletastic", but yeah: his electric guitar is a Fender Telecaster, so Telecaster + fantastic = Teletastic.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:57 PM   #24
colibriink
Eskimo Friend

Aha! ty
Old 07-02-2007, 06:44 PM   #25
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

the band now sounds like they have OD'd on Testosterone.

http://thatgirlwiththefreckles.blogspot.com/
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:37 PM   #26
golnazv86
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenBledsoe
the band now sounds like they have OD'd on Testosterone.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
golnazv86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:43 PM   #27
.em.
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoKaveri
lmao.

I voted: 'just let him play.'
And I think that's all I need to say. ^^
.em. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #28
GOB1029
Just Some Guy

he acknowledged in an interview somewhere a while back before 9 came out, that "the next album" will be a bit harder or something like that. some of his songs are a bit "harder", but it's really just more emotion, which is definitely not bad thing in today's music industry.

though, some of his stuff is also softer, he's been opening several songs on piano instead of guitar, and he's also played a lot of his "unplugged" shows, at least in the states.

bottom line though, let him play, he's brilliant.