Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 04-25-2004, 09:26 PM   #1
fondusquirrel
Eskimo Baby

Hey,

I just read the bottom line on cheeses post in another topic about Damien havin problems with people who sing along at his shows and I just have 1 question-

DOES THE MAN WANT TO HAVE ANY FANS??
Old 04-25-2004, 10:21 PM   #2
FromAcan
Eskimo Baby

Well, it is understandable that the fans singing along could be a bit of distraction.. because Damien tends to change his songs in shows...so i can see where he might become a little frustrated. I admit, I would be one to sing a long..but I can see where he is coming from.[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
FromAcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 10:25 PM   #3
cheese
Daisy of the Galaxy

Haha!! Yeah I know what you mean...in the article that I took that from though the quote is right after the review talks about Damien opening a show in Dublin with the Professor without the aid of an amp of mic, everything goes well until a fan starts singing along, louder than Damien himself. Damien's music is very acoustic based and therefor isn't going to be very loud and it is easy for members of the audience to drown him out, which will probably knock Damien's concentration in a way and we all know Damien strives to put on the best show that he can...I think that's why his shows seem to be a little rockier and louder now

Anyway, I don't think he's against it, he just would prefer the atmosphere to be a littlemore quiet that's all
Old 04-25-2004, 11:46 PM   #4
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

I asked him last night if he mindedthe loud crowd sing along/ shouting out requestsand he smiled and said "No! It's all good"
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 12:21 AM   #5
cille
creepycute

well, i would find it annoying to stand beside someone in the audience who was just screaming along... hard to hold it back sometimes, tho (well - like farts[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]), i really struggled not to sing along at the damien gig i went to, and i managed to keep quiet most of the time, exept maybe for that 'lalala' part of la fille danse - but that seemed sort of appropreate to hum along, in that moment; others in the audince hummed along as well. didn't make the performance drown, though. just a bit of participation. but generally i really held it back, sometimes so much it got almost painful, when the song was just right, when he was singing my feelings right there.... but i fought it, and it was for the better i think...after all the others hadn't paid to hear me sing...

...actually i don't think i farted too much either at that gig, so generally i was a good girl that night [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2004, 01:13 AM   #6
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

I tried to hold back too, but found myself singing along... quietly to myself, and the gig was mostly loud... sometimes at home I just listen to the music and let it wash over me, and other times it just feels good to sing along... almost therapeutic. The only time I really belt it out though is alone in my car on some remote country road.[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:40 AM   #7
coreybyrnes
eskiphotographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercille
i would find it annoying to stand beside someone in the audience who was just screaming along

you just described the boston show for me... i was standing next to this guy that practically yelled all the words to the songs... i don't think it would be considered singing because he only hit 1 out of every 5 notes... at one point the guy in front of him turned around and said "you sound like sh*t so shut the f**k up"... i thought that to be a lil bit harsh, but i couldn't argue with what he said... god that guy couldn't sing at all...
Old 04-26-2004, 02:46 AM   #8
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

people singing at gigs is so annoying... and i detest it.. you can easily sing under your breath or even hum along with damien but to try outsing him and ruin it for the rest is annoying... its just as bad as talking in my opinion

Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:20 AM   #9
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreybyrnes
you just described the boston show for me... i was standing next to this guy that practically yelled all the words to the songs...

Oh man, you don't know how good the sing along sounded at the sound board! Almost like in Ireland!

Those kind of things can be so aggrevating if you stand right next to it, though.

I think orchestrated sing alongs ("your turn now") work pretty well. It leaves the artist with the bargaining chip of "I need you to be quiet now, but you can sing the next one." The Frams and Tom McRae have turned that into an art form. Though it's not always working for the Frames [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:06 AM   #10
cille
creepycute

oh yeah, bless damien for those noisy arrangements... think i just slipped out a wee bit of singing there too...[img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2004, 11:29 AM   #11
jwelsh
Eskimo Friend

I had quite the singer right behind my left ear in Cleveland. She was harmonizing, jumping an octave higher - almost as though she was trying out for American Idol. Sure, I sing a bit as well - but I don't think the people all around me can hear me. It was a bit much, I must say . . .

I call architecture frozen music.

- J.W. Goethe
jwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 06:16 PM   #12
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

I detest the singers unless the artist invites people to sing along or unless it's a very loud concert and no one can hear you sing. You can sing when you're at home or in the car. Please don't sing when I have paid a lot of good money to hear someone other than you sing. Thanks [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

What's so hard about lipsynching along????
GlttrGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 06:23 PM   #13
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

I agree, if you want to sing along loudly, do so at home with your CD. People don't get to see their fav artist very often, so please don't oversing him/her!
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:28 PM   #14
natekeegan
Eskimo Friend

Yeah, it's not you that's special, it's damien. And with the harmonizing girl...it's DAMIEN'Sjob to jump octaves and such. not hers.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:32 PM   #15
cille
creepycute

maybe she was actually hired to sing along.

tough job but someone's gotta do it.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:51 PM   #16
FloggingJoe
Eskimo Regular

when i saw damien in hollywood this past month, the whole crowd was quiet for almost the whole show. i thought it made the show that much better, but once he got into cannonball towards the end of his set people got a little braver and started singing along softly. it was hard for me not to sing along because im used to doing it whenever i listen to his cd's or go to different shows, but it was great because all you could hear was damien and the band.fantastic.
FloggingJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:13 PM   #17
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia
I agree, if you want to sing along loudly, do so at home with your CD. People don't get to see their fav artist very often, so please don't oversing him/her!
Tomo said he saw you singing along to all the songs at the Paris gig.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:39 PM   #18
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

[img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]I was just mouthing the words!!
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:51 PM   #19
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Suuuuurrreee you were.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:06 AM   #20
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

i agree, i cant stand when all i can hear is someone else singing at a gig - it totally distracts me from damien... talking is even more annoying, at the philly gig a boy was sitting next to my best friend and at several parts of the songs he would say, in a voice loud enough for her to hear, "oh this is a great part" or "oh here it comes, listen to this".... things of this nature! AHHH! i am SO glad i didnt have to hear him, or i would have said something, lola didnt say anything to him, god bless her.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:57 PM   #21
Ellette
Eskimo Baby

I find I have to agree with Patricia, I mean its one thing to be home and screaming the lyrics in joy or just being a fan, but when you see him, do you want to hear yourself and the terrible voice or the singer and his song and voice.

I mean at points i wanted to sing along, but lipsynching was good enough for me.
Ellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 04:31 PM   #22
messyjessie
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelsh
I had quite the singer right behind my left ear in Cleveland. She was harmonizing, jumping an octave higher - almost as though she was trying out for American Idol. Sure, I sing a bit as well - but I don't think the people all around me can hear me. It was a bit much, I must say . . .
i have a feeling that same gurl was in detroit the next night standing right behind me... she was really short and my friend and i are pretty tall... everytime she started up, we moved closer together so she couldn't see... harsh medicine, but she was bloody annoying... eeeek. i spent most of the time covering the back part of my ear so i could hear damo over her... thank god for front row
messyjessie is offline   Reply With Quote