Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 11-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Question Photography question

I know there are a few budding photographers on here who may be able to help me out..
Im looking to invest in a digital camera for personal use. Mostly to develop myself as a photographer and perhaps upgrade to a high end model if im bitten by the bug!
My budget isnt the biggest, perhaps 200-300 euro. I presume the DSLR's probably wouldnt be in my price range unless i got one second hand and they seem to be the proper starter point for high end photography?

Anyways, im a bit unsure as to which camera would suit me (theres far too many!) but im looking for a camera that would give me the defination and lens capacity to take a more serious shot..

I hope some of that made sense and someone has some expertise in this area!

Cheers in advance..

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
Rai
Eskimontologist

Since I just recently bought my first digital camera (a small pocket-Canon) I can't help with naming choices, but I might have some good advice:

-Don't buy used digital cameras unless you can check or sure how many pictures have been taken with it. All of them have a limit, above which they will break down. This limit is huge, but not obvious to everyone, plus there are ways to "turn back the clock"

-You can take great pictures with any camera, there is absolutely no need for high-end machines unless you want to do serious sports or nature photography. Robert Capa didn't have lightning-speed autofocus either.

- The camera itself doesn't matter too much. The only thing is that it should be comfortable to use. Look at the lenses, those are the important bits.

-I don't know how much you've done before. If you are just learning, buy an analogue, a Nikon FM2 with some basic 50mm lens. That will not tempt you with automatic modes and force you to think for yourself. If you master it, you'll know everything you'll need.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:42 AM   #3
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

i didn't know you were looking for a camera!

i'm not a photographer, but last month i bought a sony cybershot that's in that price range (at least in US dollars.. about $280) and it's great. it has a 10x optical zoom which works really well, and takes 8.1 megapixel shots. it even has a manual mode that you can play around with if you want to experiment with aperture and exposure and whatnot. i haven't figured all that out yet myself..

it's not a DSLR but it's pretty nice for that price range.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:46 AM   #4
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

^ I have the same camera and I love it! I'd wholeheartedly recommend it.

The only small warning I'd give is that in low-light settings you need to have pretty steady hands, but it's not too bad at all even then. Or... well... in the hands of a capable photographer it wouldn't be too bad
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

thanks alot for all your imput. the nikon fm2 looks very nice rai, and i like the idea of a manual camera, im just thinking against a low end manual camera for now and probably go for digital to see if it sparks my interest enough to get serious about it.

the cybershot also looks like something id be very interested in (nice shots too srahman) and the price range is fairly reasonable.

im still open to any more suggestions if people have.

Thanks alot again, this will make my choice alot easier knowing others have previous experience!

Old 11-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

also what is the difference with the dsc-h10b

and this - https://www.expansys.ie/zoompic.aspx?type=item&i=165683

is it a better model?

Old 11-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

si, i know nothing about cameras but pixils on liffey st are good for deals with cameras, like buy the camera get a case, memory card etc etc with it, maybe not free but they have good prices, dad has had very good dealings with them, so you might be lucky with getting "bundles" when buying a camera
Old 11-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #8
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
also what is the difference with the dsc-h10b

and this - https://www.expansys.ie/zoompic.aspx?type=item&i=165683

is it a better model?
It's the model released after the H10 - 9.2 MP (instead of 8.2 on the H10), 15x zoom (instead of 10x), there's a bigger screen for reviewing pictures and other more technical/mechanical changes

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie..._dsc_h50_6.php
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #9
Rai
Eskimontologist

These Sony's do look good. I've a soon-to be cinematographer friend who used one of their earlier models and it was quite awesome. That Carl Zeiss lens on it is a great thing to have. Probably the best you can get (Maybe Panasonic comes close with its Leicas)

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Old 11-26-2008, 09:31 PM   #10
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pink View Post
si, i know nothing about cameras but pixils on liffey st are good for deals with cameras, like buy the camera get a case, memory card etc etc with it, maybe not free but they have good prices, dad has had very good dealings with them, so you might be lucky with getting "bundles" when buying a camera
thanks fi, ill drop in there and see what deal they can give me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srahman24
It's the model released after the H10 - 9.2 MP (instead of 8.2 on the H10), 15x zoom (instead of 10x), there's a bigger screen for reviewing pictures and other more technical/mechanical changes
oh thanks for finding out. it does sound really good, and its quite a low price range for the higher model. I think im definately tempted by this now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
These Sony's do look good. I've a soon-to be cinematographer friend who used one of their earlier models and it was quite awesome. That Carl Zeiss lens on it is a great thing to have. Probably the best you can get (Maybe Panasonic comes close with its Leicas)
im glad to hear you say that, i was a bit offput by buying Sony as i didnt figure photopraphy is their expertise, but this has assured me they make good camera's..

Old 11-26-2008, 10:46 PM   #11
Rai
Eskimontologist

^In this category, they are well in the race. Only in the DSLR range do the options boil down to Nikon vs. Canon according to personal preference.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #12
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

One thing to check out before you buy is the time lapse between photos. With my camera, there is a long pause before it is done processing a photo, and usually by the time I can take a second picture the kids have stopped doing whatever cute thing they were doing that prompted me to take the picture. May be a big deal depending on what you are shooting. It's a few years old, I'd tell you the make & model but I can't find it at the moment.
bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:02 PM   #13
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

okay so i went for it and ordered the Sony cybershot dsc h50

its a beauty of a camera and 15 x optical zoom is very good, i read up alot about it and it seems it has the approval of even the biggest manual camera snobs! it also has a cool rotating lcd screen.

im amazed at the difference in price. i did alot of searching and found the price as high as 444 euro in argos. luckily i got it for 273 euro and then a few extra for the memory card.

delighted with the purchase, thanks again for the tips and info!
ill report back after xmas and let you know how my career in photography goes

Old 12-09-2008, 11:34 PM   #14
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
ill report back after xmas and let you know how my career in photography goes
That's a pretty short career you're planning...

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:04 AM   #15
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
That's a pretty short career you're planning...
well it begins at xmas. have to wait for santa to deliver it, even though im paying for most of it myself

he blames the recession, i just think he's being very stingey..